• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it must already have been pricy not just to ask for Square's stuff, but also Enix as well (mainly due to one specific individual whose name shall not be spoken).

Asking for Disney's stuff on top of it all would be beyond the point the bank account shouts "no more!". It would probably necessitate either pass 2's sales, or just waiting until Smash 6's development.

Yet it still amazes me how Sega managed to get those Mickey Mouse games on the Genesis Mini.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Question for y'all. Do you have an ideal moveset for Sora? Do you want it based on a specific game or a mix of a bunch of them? What would his gimmick be?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Question for y'all. Do you have an ideal moveset for Sora? Do you want it based on a specific game or a mix of a bunch of them? What would his gimmick be?
Here's my take:
Intro: Sora appears from a save point and gets into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: Sora holds his Keyblade near his right hip and looks around.
Idle 2: Sora rests his Keyblade on his right shoulder for a few seconds.
Idle 3: Sora bares his teeth in the direction he's facing.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  • KH3 outfit (default)
  • KH2 outfit (alternate costume)
  • Riku (KH3 black)
  • Roxas (KH2 white/red)
  • Kairi (KH3 pink)
  • Limit Form
  • Donald (KH3 blue)
  • Goofy (KH2 green)

Walk: His walk from the games.
Dash: His run from the games.
Damage: His damage animation from the games.
Jump: High Jump and Doubleflight.
Crouch: Crouches with his Keyblade's end on the ground, holding it.

Weapon of Choice: The Kingdom Key, the Keyblade Sora starts his journey with.

Normal Attacks
A,A,A: Slapshot; Sora slashes twice, then follows up with an uppercut (14%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Speed Slash; Sora slashes twice (4% each hit, small knockback), and then does a quick dual slash (13%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Sliding Dash; Sora performs a slide across the ground, slightly faster than that of Cloud (12%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Upper Slash; Sora swings his Keyblade upwards with both hands (10%, OK knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Magnet Burst; Sora briefly surrounds himself with an array of magnetic orbs (13%, OK knockback). Pressing A again, if necessary, sends these orbs flying out (11%, medium knockback)
Air Forward+A: Aerial Finish; Sora slashes forward three times (9%, small knockback), and then finishes with a strong slash (8%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Aerial Sweep; Sora slashes behind himself three times (11%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Hurricane Blast; Sora vertically swings around four times with his Keyblade (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Diving Strike; Sora dives down and strikes the ground with his Keyblade (15%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Prism Windmill; Sora spins Keyblade in front of him, protected by a shield of light (15%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Magic Flash; Sora lifts himself up and uses a flash of light that affects the area around him (11%, OK knockback)
Get-up Attack: Vicinity Break; Sora sweeps the floor with his Keyblade in a 360 spin (9%, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Strike Raid; Sora throws his Keyblade forward as it spins (15%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Ripple Drive; Sora swings upwards and summons a barrier of light with rectangular patterns (21%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Explosion; three orbs of light surround Sora as he thrusts his Keyblade down to the ground (22%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Sora casts Magnet and binds the opponent
Pummel: Sora crunches the opponent with Magnet (2.1%)
Forwards+Throw: Quick Blitz; Sora thrusts his Keyblade on the ground in a downward arc (14%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Fail-Safe; Sora spins once before tossing the opponent on the ground (13%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Merge; Sora spins around backwards before hurling the opponent in that direction (11%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Lunge n' Launch; Sora pushes the opponent forward and slashes upwards (13%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Magic Selection
; Sora can select a magic spell from his list. Once a spell is selected, it will stay on that spell until another is selected, which can be done on the fly.
  • Firaga: Sora summons two rings of fire than encircle him (17%, OK knockback)
  • Blizzaga: Sora shoots three snowflakes that have a chance of freezing the opponent (10%, OK knockback); using this in the air has Sora shoot them diagonally downward
  • Thundaga: Sora summons a spark from his Keyblade that forms a dome (15%, OK knockback)
  • Aeroga: Sora surrounds himself in a windy barrier that halves damage taken and reflects projectiles; the spell lasts for 18 seconds
  • Curaga: Sora heals up to 150% taken damage, but can only use it once per stock; can also heal nearby allies by 1/3
B + Forwards : Sonic Blade; Sora thrusts forward four times, with consecutive button presses (6% each hit, small knockback)
B + Up : Airstep; Sora travels in the pointed direction at the speed of light after releasing the button (holding it slows him down for six seconds).
B + Down : Ars Arcanum; Sora charges up and unleashes a flurry of nine slashes (19%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Ultimate Union Ragnarok; Sora attempts to unleash Ultimate Form (Final Form in his KH2 outfit), and catches any opponents he successfully hits (8%). The trapped opponents are taken into a cutscene as Sora slashes them with hundreds of swords (32%), and finishes off with Union Ragnarok, with the Lux symbol showing as he fires it (16%) (56% total, far knockback).

Gimmick: Situation Commands; after pulling off successful combos, three arrows appear by Sora's HUD, one by one. Once a combo is successful with all three arrows, a command appears above Sora's icon, and pressing B will activate one of four Grand Magic spells, which are obtained by using one spell consistently, and that spell will appear for a set amount of time.
  • Firaza has Sora summon a giant fireball that can travel offscreen when it doesn't hit any opponents (25%, medium knockback)
  • Blizzaza has Sora fire a giant icicle that freezes the first opponent it hits, and sends all others flying (25%, medium knockback)
  • Thundaza has Sora rain down a pillar of electricity and combo any opponents above him (25%, medium knockback)
  • Aeroza has Sora summons a tornado that circles him, sending opponents flying (30%, far knockback)
Whenever you use a Grand Magic tier of a spell, that spell enters a 15 second cool down period.

Lock-On: By shielding and pressing B, Sora can lock on to foes to better aim his magic. The yellow variant that appears on random foes is there when Sora doesn’t lock on, and the blue variant for when Sora DOES lock on is there as well.

Taunts
1: Sora wipes his nose and smiles.
2: "Yeah!" Sora raises his Keyblade high in the air.
1+2: Sora performs Break Time, where he spins around for a bit and says "ta-da!" as he puts his right hand on his hip and puts up his left hand.

Winposes
1: "That's the power of the Keyblade!" Sora's victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum.
2: Sora spins his Keyblade and sticks it firmly in the ground, smiling (based on one of his renders based on KH1 artwork of him).
3: Sora opens a treasure chest as he does in the games, and a Meow Wow comes out to cuddle-tackle him.

Icon: The heart in KH series logo.
Boxing Ring Title: The Key to Many Hearts
Victory Music: Sora’s theme
Kirby Hat: Sora's hair and necklace.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I definitely don't think Disney is strict when it comes to licensing Kingdom Hearts. I just think, like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts must be expensive to license. Far, far more than Final Fantasy.

We know Sakurai has a budget with these Fighter Passes, which is why the Sakurai Presentations changed after Joker. I imagine Disney was asking for just a bit more than Nintendo had given Sakurai and his team to work with.
That argument would make sense if only Sakurai hadn't already outright stated that Nintendo themselves chose the fighters for both of these fighter passes. Of course Nintendo gave Sakurai and his team money to spend for development. But Nintendo shelled out the cash for these DLC characters themselves. It wasn't Sakurai just going out himself and asking to have these characters appear in the game then getting Nintendo to sign off on a check for said characters and done. But not this time, this time Nintendo just gave him lists of characters and had him pick out the required amount. At which point Nintendo did all the behind the scenes business themselves. The only budget Nintendo likely gave Sakurai is for development costs not really to go out and buy rights to characters outside of base roster anyway.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Honestly as mainly a KH1 fan I'd love to see KH1/Coded/DDD Sora with his main gimmick being Tech. I don't actually remember if it was in KH2 but you could still block moves. I want Sora to be able to knock any projectile back (or in direction of swing) if he hits the projectile with the tip of his keyblade. Loved that mechanic in Kh1 and mastering it felt so good.

I would be fine with most movesets I've seen on this board Magic being his standard special and flowmotion being his recovery.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Yeah, it must already have been pricy not just to ask for Square's stuff, but also Enix as well (mainly due to one specific individual whose name shall not be spoken).

Asking for Disney's stuff on top of it all would be beyond the point the bank account shouts "no more!". It would probably necessitate either pass 2's sales, or just waiting until Smash 6's development.

Yet it still amazes me how Sega managed to get those Mickey Mouse games on the Genesis Mini.
I doubt it's that expensive or even that simple. For the sake of comparison, Steve was in talks for 5 years. This implies a lot, mainly that Steve was also one of those bank breaking deals. Considering the evolution of Microsoft's and Nintendo's relationship over the past 5 years, I think that Nintendo is well aware of alternative means to acquiring the rights to characters they'd want without having to spend too much.

Also, could you please elaborate on that part about the Genesis mini?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt it's that expensive or even that simple. For the sake of comparison, Steve was in talks for 5 years. This implies a lot, mainly that Steve was also one of those bank breaking deals. Considering the evolution of Microsoft's and Nintendo's relationship over the past 5 years, I think that Nintendo is well aware of alternative means to acquiring the rights to characters they'd want without having to spend too much.

Also, could you please elaborate on that part about the Genesis mini?
Basically, two of the Mickey Mouse Illusion games were included on the Genesis Mini, being the only licensed games on it.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
From the Crash thread:
I know Activision's often an...interesting company, but they'd have to be hard-boiled if they tried their hardest to make any of their characters that hard of a deal.
Plus, making a profit is their bottom line so it doesn't make sense to make a major business deal as convoluted as possible
I know it's not necessarily Sora-related, but I thought it was worth mentioning when people expect the least out of Disney when it comes to him.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
From the Crash thread:

I know it's not necessarily Sora-related, but I thought it was worth mentioning when people expect the least out of Disney when it comes to him.
Did not know you could quote between threads! But the point stands in any thread regarding any company: there really isn't anything to lose with Smash content. Making it so that your character(s) require half a planet to use is just going to make Nintendo look another way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did not know you could quote between threads! But the point stands in any thread regarding any company: there really isn't anything to lose with Smash content. Making it so that your character(s) require half a planet to use is just going to make Nintendo look another way.
well to be fair we have no idea how difficult licencing characters is. even in a case where both parties are more than willing there could a whole number of complicated things to figure out

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
So, how are we feeling today? Are you guys confident that Sora will not fall victim to the Mii costume treatment or not? I've seen a lot of arguments for how Disney would not give Sora just for a Mii costume, how he is either a character or nothing, but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps they are being too confident.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So, how are we feeling today? Are you guys confident that Sora will not fall victim to the Mii costume treatment or not? I've seen a lot of arguments for how Disney would not give Sora just for a Mii costume, how he is either a character or nothing, but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps they are being too confident.
We're either going to be in Disney vault purgatory, or mii costume hell. Neither is particularly attractive.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
well to be fair we have no idea how difficult licencing characters is. even in a case where both parties are more than willing there could a whole number of complicated things to figure out
That's very true, especially if we consider how both companies may want their characters to be portrayed. If Sakurai and Disney turn out to have polar opposite visions for Sora's inclusion, then that may take a while to work out. That is not to say that such a scenario is likely, but I suppose that sort of thing is possible, especially since Sora specifically is in a position where non-video game characters may be viewed as preferred or even required to perfectly represent him and his series by one or both parties, and we all know Sakurai's stance on that.

As for Mii costume, I honestly don't know what to expect in that department. At this point, I sorta hope it happens just so we can get something, but I'm not really expecting it. I will say that while I'm only really expecting FF Mii costumes (Particularly the Chocobo hat, I have a feeling that even Geno won't be showing up either tbh), if Sora does turn out to be a Mii costume this is probably the place to put it.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
That, I agree with. The nature of DLC Mii costume inclusions have been "this is the best we could manage at the moment". With a better look at how these agreements can come to pass, there's no way that prospect is 100% off the table. Sooooooo... yeah, this is always the worst part of a new character inclusion. If he doesn't happen as a Mii costume, then that'll be a huge relief. So fingers crossed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the only costume i feel is likely is tifa

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So, in the unlikely, but still entirely possible event Sora gets a mii costume I'd just like to say this.

Buy it.

No matter how much it pisses you off. No matter how insulting it feels. Buy it.

Why? Because it will be the first, and potentially only opportunity we get to tell Disney directly just how much we want Sora in Smash in the only language that matters. Profit. Whether or not Disney will interpret that in a way leads to Sora getting in a future game is out of our hands, but they're far more likely to be receptive to it in the future if a mii costume yields results.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
So, in the unlikely, but still entirely possible event Sora gets a mii costume I'd just like to say this.

Buy it.

No matter how much it pisses you off. No matter how insulting it feels. Buy it.

Why? Because it will be the first, and potentially only opportunity we get to tell Disney directly just how much we want Sora in Smash in the only language that matters. Profit. Whether or not Disney will interpret that in a way leads to Sora getting in a future game is out of our hands, but they're far more likely to be receptive to it in the future if a mii costume yields results.
Yeah, because a lot of people bought the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4 and now it's looking very likely for Geno to return as a Mii costume again... Wait.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Yeah, because a lot of people bought the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4 and now it's looking very likely for Geno to return as a Mii costume again... Wait.
Like I said, it doesn't mean they'll interpret it in the way we want. I'm of the mindset that buying a Sora mii costume would look better than not, because if we don't poor sales could be seen as disinterest in the idea of Kingdom Hearts being in Smash. It also helps us that Kingdom Hearts is still an active game series, something that Geno can't take advantage of. That's not a jab, plz don't kill me.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So Sephiroth looks super dope not to mention that the music that he's getting is a great selection. I am a little surprised that KH didn't get a mention from Sakurai in the presentation. Sakurai generally talks about the history of a character but I guess not.

Anyway I'm super keen to play as Sephiroth, especially for the boss rush mode.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Sephiroth does look great.

As far as Sora goes, he still has a chance honestly since no mii costume was revealed. Personally I can only see Sora making the roster if there are no "anime swordsman" revealed for the next 2 characters .

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So Sephiroth looks super dope not to mention that the music that he's getting is a great selection. I am a little surprised that KH didn't get a mention from Sakurai in the presentation. Sakurai generally talks about the history of a character but I guess not.

Sephiroth is quite a bit different from what I was expecting, especially his wing. Hard to tell how good he is. Tilts look very strong, but his wider range moves and smashes look pretty slow. Shadow Flare looks like it could be his go to option for neutral.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

to be fair most of his cameos were left out

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sephiroth does look great.

As far as Sora goes, he still has a chance honestly since no mii costume was revealed. Personally I can only see Sora making the roster if there are no "anime swordsman" revealed for the next 2 characters .
Would they really care that much about double dipping on anime swordsmen? Even after we went Joker, Hero, Byleth for pass 1? Even though Sora wields a Keyblade that, while I'm sure it will act like a sword, technically isn't one? I don't think another anime swordie showing up would hurt Sora at all.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Would they really care that much about double dipping on anime swordsmen? Even after we went Joker, Hero, Byleth for pass 1? Even though Sora wields a Keyblade that, while I'm sure it will act like a sword, technically isn't one? I don't think another anime swordie showing up would hurt Sora at all.
Regardless of a character's weapon of choice I don't really think Nintendo gives a **** about any of that. Especially if they are quote unquote an anime character. Considering SIX of all the DLC so far have been anime characters already.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of a character's weapon of choice I don't really think Nintendo gives a **** about any of that. Especially if they are quote unquote an anime character. Considering SIX of all the DLC so far have been anime characters already.
To be fair anime character (JRPG characters) are some of the most popular characters requested just because of the memories and growth you experience with a character as you play through the game. Unlike characters like the Chorus Kids, who only appear in a mini game in rhythm heaven and get little emotional attachment from players (the attachment stems onto the whole game rather than a particular character), JRPG protagonist are memorable and most people will have a favourite. Its just unfortunate really that most JRPG Protagonists are generic insert characters that wield a sword.

Paraster

Smash Lord
How are characters as such even called anime characters, none of them have a anime nor are anime original characters allowed.
Presumably because they use similar anime-esque artstyles, and people think they look samey.

I can partially understand if someone thinks they look samey, but I feel like there's about a 50/50 chance someone making this complaint about any character isn't considering anything beyond the artstyle.

Top Bottom