• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the logic behind that is 2 unique fighters from 3rd party companies at most.

For example: shadow/Sonic, Ryu/MegaMan, Simon/snake, etc.

But then why bring that up if Sora is Disney owned if you're also associating with him to square enix?
i didnt bring it up

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Well unfortunately its starting to look like Sora isn't making the base roster. I believe it may be time to start bombarding Nintendo with some Sora for smash petitions and stuff... If we get in early we may be able to get him in as a DLC character.

Lets make this happen my fellow Sora for smash advocates.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Well unfortunately its starting to look like Sora isn't making the base roster. I believe it may be time to start bombarding Nintendo with some Sora for smash petitions and stuff... If we get in early we may be able to get him in as a DLC character.

Lets make this happen my fellow Sora for smash advocates.
Look at it this way, would corrin have been likely for smash 4's base roster? No, he was DLC and it was more fitting because his announcement coincided with Fire Emblem Fate's release.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Weird question at this point of this thread but is there actually a good, valid reason why Sora shouldn't be in smash?

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Weird question at this point of this thread but is there actually a good, valid reason why Sora shouldn't be in smash?
Speaking devil's advocate, the whole disney argument has been debated many times. Disney representation, including the Kingdom Key would lead into a slippery slope regarding non video game media appearing in smash. There's no precedent for non video game IP to appear anywhere in smash

Notice how the goldeneye series were not cited in 64 and melee when the motion sensor was made identical to the one in goldeneye, and was later changed to a more original design. This shows Sakurai refrains from using non video game media as much as possible.

The argument that many people think is that Disney would not allow the rights to be used, when really there have two cases of their IP used by sega and square. If sora wasn't in, it's simply because Sakurai chose not to and saw him as a lesser priority compared to many other characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai will reference non-video game media... sometimes. Pokemon is a clear example of this. But I'm pretty sure that's more of a case of "what media it started as, so the rest after that doesn't matter", but that's not really able to be confirmed of why Pokemon is the exception here. It could just be the case that Pokemon released as an anime in some regions of the world first and the fact he looks at the anime too for Smash content in general(besides just helping sometimes to choose fighters).

KH may be slightly the same thing. I could see him putting in Disney content purely because it's a big part of the KH franchise. It however means nothing for playable characters, especially 3rd parties ones, who he's clear on them not joining the battle if they don't originate from a game series. He's more like 99% clear, but still. Even if Mickey Mouse was a trophy, it wouldn't matter. There is no slippery slope to even make there. Until a character who wasn't from a game series(and is 3rd party too) is playable, like Goku, it's still best to consider it impossible based upon Sakurai's own clear wording. This doesn't mean he can't change his mind, but he also has made the point more than once before. With other characters who eventually got in, he hasn't reiterated the same points over and over during different interviews/etc.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
No. At least none thay can't be readily countered. With enough effort and research, we were able to gather enough information to prove that Sora is just as possible as any other 3rd party character. We have the evidence for it to boot. All we need to do now is clear up that mis-information.

D

Deleted member

I posted in this thread earlier bring up some stage questions involving Kingdom Hears. But I didn't actually confirm whether or not I support Sora. Time to fix that.

Granted I don't think he'll be in. Thankfully we at least know it's possible now but even so going through all the licensing agreements that are needed for a 3rd Party character will be a LOT more difficult with Disney than any gaming company they've involved so far.

But if everything worked out and Sora got in, I'd be happy. I think he would be a fantastic character to play as.

So yeah, I'm a Sora supporter.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
With pretty safe predictions going around, especially after Isabelle's reveal it's pretty likely we're getting the picks that Vergeben listed:

- Ken
- Gen 7 Pokemon (implying Incineroar since he's said from the beginning that it isn't Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Decidueye)
- Square Enix rep (Could be anyone, but it's most likely Geno)

Also I posted about the assist trophy trio days before Isabelle's reveal about Kapp'n, The Moon, and Knuckles replacing their franchise counterparts from Smash 4:
- Isabelle
- Skull Kid
- Shadow

I personally can see all 5 of these characters being in, and we would be at 71 assuming Ken is a 1-to-1 echo with Ryu and Shadow is a semi-clone like Isabelle. There would be quite a some more characters after that I think would be getting in before Sora is even considered that would already make up the entire base roster. I think the only chance he has is through DLC, and it's more fitting too considering Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out a month or two after Ultimate.

I posted in this thread earlier bring up some stage questions involving Kingdom Hears. But I didn't actually confirm whether or not I support Sora. Time to fix that.

Granted I don't think he'll be in. Thankfully we at least know it's possible now but even so going through all the licensing agreements that are needed for a 3rd Party character will be a LOT more difficult with Disney than any gaming company they've involved so far.

But if everything worked out and Sora got in, I'd be happy. I think he would be a fantastic character to play as.

So yeah, I'm a Sora supporter.
I don't think Sakurai is no stranger to complicated licensing. Konami has been terrible to Snake and Final Fantasy has only two songs so I must imagine getting them back must have been a hurdle to climb. I'm pretty sure this is another common argument, "the whole licensing agreement for Kingdom Hearts must be such a nightmare. Sakurai probably wouldn't even bother if it's that bad."

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
This game looks so good, keen as a bean for January next year.

Boxart looks hype.
1537250861272.jpg

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My personal thoughts about the Box Theory maybe intersecting with Vergeben is that maybe the SE rep isn't on the box because they're not allowed to be. That leads me to think one of three things is going on...
  1. SE is just being stingy and won't allow SE reps to appear on the box, so Cloud and Vergeben's SE rep don't make it onto the box, while the obvious newcomer (Pokemon rep), Ken, and some other Echo that we haven't heard of yet go in the last few spots.
  2. The SE rep is specifically not allowed on the box. This doesn't make sense to me if Cloud is on the box and the new rep is just Geno or a Dragon Quest character, however, Disney may have let Smash use Sora under the stipulation that they don't advertise the game with him, so he might get left off the box for that reason (which puts a Sora amiibo in a strange place).
  3. The final character is hidden on the back of the box as some sort of "true ballot winner."
The first seems possible to me, the third could happen, but I really hope that the second is the case... While the recent leaks/theories look bad for some characters (Elma, Rex & Pyra, and Isaac are the ones that I'm sad about), they don't look too bad for Sora...

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Smash bros master hand reference? When I saw that in the trailer that's at least what I thought. That's two small details we have that could elude to smash now... WHY NOMURA, WHY?!
1-What's the other one?
2-Yeah dog no way that was a smash reference, just a big strong fist. Plenty of games have that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before, but I’d be hyped for Sora if he gets in Smash. Kingdom Hearts holds a lot of fond memories for me when I was a kid.

Last edited:

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Shinji Hashimoto actually expressed interest for Sora to appear.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Shinji Hashimoto tweeted "Yes!" at someone asking for Sora in Smash, then he deleted the tweet. Definitely suspicious.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Not so fast

The same thing happened with Ashley the Wario creator supported but still not playable despite that.
Dude, that's beside the point. What matters here is that the friggin Co-creator knows our plight, and he's in favor of the idea! This should make it FAR easier to gather support now that we know that Disney and the co-creator of KH are in favor of this. Nothing short of Sakurai himself claiming to like the idea would ensure his inclusion if we gathered enough support. As DLC ofcourse.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Plot twist! What if Sora is the second Square Enix character Vergeben (The guy who leaked Isabella, Simon Belmont, And Ridley) leaked for the game?

He did say that the 2nd Square Enix character in the game is a controversial pick (I could be completely wrong about this)!

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Dude, that's beside the point. What matters here is that the friggin Co-creator knows our plight, and he's in favor of the idea! This should make it FAR easier to gather support now that we know that Disney and the co-creator of KH are in favor of this. Nothing short of Sakurai himself claiming to like the idea would ensure his inclusion if we gathered enough support. As DLC ofcourse.
Shoot, I'm getting some flashbacks of Phil Spencer here... If Sora and Banjo-Kazooie end up our final character reveals, the entire gamingsphere could implode.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Co-creator tweet doesn't really mean anything other than expressed interest in the idea. What matters is the numbers of fan requests Sora gets. If there is a same amount of demand like K. Rool or Ridley had, I would be satisfied.

Plot twist! What if Sora is the second Square Enix character Vergeben (The guy who leaked Isabella, Simon Belmont, And Ridley) leaked for the game?

He did say that the 2nd Square Enix character in the game is a controversial pick (I could be completely wrong about this)!
Not sure if he said the rep being a controversial pick. But if we're talking controversial, then a Dragon Quest character would fit the bill perfectly.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I would say that Sora would be one of those characters where they did decently well even outside of Smash circles. 'cause he's popular on Smash fan polls, but he also feels like he's sort of known to people who wouldn't frequent smash related places as well.

So there's demand, yeah! Or at least I'm guessing there is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone else notice some nintendo stuff in latest rbti trailer? i know its not got much to go on here but its an other example of nintendo and disney working together

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Co-creator tweet doesn't really mean anything other than expressed interest in the idea. What matters is the numbers of fan requests Sora gets. If there is a same amount of demand like K. Rool or Ridley had, I would be satisfied.
I'm gonna disagree with that entirely and say the opposite. When it comes to third parties especially, it's more about getting the support of the dev/publisher, and making a deal, than it is about how many likes a character gets on social media. Third party characters like Sora are already popular, they're very popular, we don't need a ballot to tell us that, and Sakurai most definitely knows this.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Much better clue than the hand imo
LOL are you kidding me?! This looks too similar to how master hand fights. Why would this even be shown? I feel like they’re hinting. It’s not even in the movie Big hero 6 so I’m just a bit surprised more people aren’t talking about this scene, with what obviously resembles Master Hand.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
LOL are you kidding me?! This looks too similar to how master hand fights. Why would this even be shown? I feel like they’re hinting. It’s not even in the movie Big hero 6 so I’m just a bit surprised more people aren’t talking about this scene, with what obviously resembles Master Hand.
Lowkey feel like you're trolling, but I'll explain why this is scene has literally nothing related to Smash Bros: (and take off your blinding hype goggles)

Watch the clip again, when sora blocks the attack the hand crumbles into a ton of mini blocks resembling the "Bugs" seen in recoded. These "Bugs" were shown to refigure and shape and just have crazy functions throughout the game. This seems to be the next evolution of that and turning the "Bugs" into a full-on manipulated data boss fight. Pretty clever imo. This hand is likely just one stage/form the bugs can take (eluded to when they crumble into pieces). A giant hand is also a very very common trope in gaming in general. Seen several times in Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, and even God of War. Hell even KH2 had a similar boss fight like this in the TRON world. It also makes a ton of sense to show a particular boss from BH6 world since the rest of the trailer consists of bosses from Pirates of the Carribean and Frozen worlds, meaning this particular trailer was previewing a few of the larger bosses you'll see in the game. Lastly, BH6 main villain was all about matter manipulation, so what do you mean it doesn't make sense for this world? The fact people think this one stage of a pre-existing kingdom hearts entity is a direct tease for Smash Ultimate is actually absurd. Now I'm not saying he won't be added, but I can guarantee this clip was in no way a tease for his inclusion.

I apologize for typing so much, but I just can't stand when people come off aggressive towards me for a comment I was being so nonchalant about.

Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
I hope that tweet by Hashimoto means something. At the very least, it means he’s interested.

Top Bottom