• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And by the way, if we want a Disney rep, wouldn't Wreck-It Ralph be a better candidate for Smash since his movie is all about gaming with the likes of Sonic, Ryu, Bowser and Pac-Man making cameos in his movie and his appearances in Disney crossover games like Kingdom Hearts III and Disney Infinity show a retro Nintendo styled gimmick, the fact that he made an appearance in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed and how he seems to be a parody of Donkey Kong? Wouldn't Ralph be a better candidate for Smash than Sora? I do like Sora, but if he gets a thread for Final Fantasy ties, surely the most Nintendo-like Disney property should get a thread too?
dude we get it you want non video game characters in smash but youre going in circles

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ok, so HMK posted a video about how licensing with Sora would work in Smash:

A Disney executive, Vice President and General Manager of Disney Japan, named Justin said this on the matter:

-Has really close ties with Tetsuya Nomura and Shinji Hashimoto.
-Form the most pivotal legal standpoint, the copyright of Sora belongs to Disney.
-Disney cannot leisurely use Sora freely. When using Sora for any type of marketing, Disney always has to ask permission from Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix themselves to allow the use of Sora's character, whether it be in Disney or Square Enix. They want to make sure Nomura would be 100% comfortable with the idea. They do not want to betray the fans expectations and the notion/theme of Kingdom Hearts.
-This was not the first time Jason was asked about Sora in Smash. Jason and his son are big fans of Smash Bros.
-Jason asked directly to HMK if Sora being in Smash would be something the fans would want. HMK gave many in-depth reasons for Sora possibly being in Smash to Jason.
-Disney would have to get the invitation from Nintendo and have fan-demand to really get the process of Sora being in Smash going. This would also need major approval from Square Enix and Nomura.
-Disney is not very restrictive, but rather very particular. So Disney would not have crazy strict control as people like to say.
-If all those things came together, then Sora in Smash would be something Disney would consider.
-Kingdom Hearts 3 is currently Disney's biggest priority, anything after KH3's development, that is something Disney can seriously consider afterwards.

It does not seem to imply that Jason is deconfirming Sora, but it is strange for him to know this much how Sora in Smash would work. Do you think this deconfirms Sora for Smash Switch's base game? I need some opinions badly, because processing all of this is taking time for me right now. This video is major news for us as Sora supporters.

Edit: So I have formed my final conclusion: I will remove Sora from my predictions, if he is not revealed at E3, then I think he is done for the base game. Sora is that kind of character that would be saved for an E3 reveal. I personally think that what Jason said is mostly PR talk that does not say much whether or not Sora is in Smash. I believe that Tetsuya and the higher-ups above Jason would know about Sora actually know that he was negotiated for Smash. He is one of the lower executives that may not know about this information. If he is not in the base game, then I consider his chances of being considered as DLC to be far higher than before. But that all depends on the fans and how much support he gets during the Smash Switch period.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
dude we get it you want non video game characters in smash but youre going in circles
Within the movie Wreck-It Ralph, Ralph is a "video game character" in-universe.

Ok, so HMK posted a video about how licensing with Sora would work in Smash:

A Disney executive, Vice President and General Manager of Disney Japan, named Justin said this on the matter:

-Has really close ties with Tetsuya Nomura and Shinji Hashimoto.
-Form the most pivotal legal standpoint, the copyright of Sora belongs to Disney.
-Disney cannot leisurely use Sora freely. When using Sora for any type of marketing, Disney always has to ask permission from Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix themselves to allow the use of Sora's character, whether it be in Disney or Square Enix. They want to make sure Nomura would be 100% comfortable with the idea. They do not want to betray the fans expectations and the notion/theme of Kingdom Hearts.
-This was not the first time Jason was asked about Sora in Smash. Jason and his son are big fans of Smash Bros.
-Jason asked directly to HMK if Sora being in Smash would be something the fans would want. HMK gave many in-depth reasons for Sora possibly being in Smash to Jason.
-Disney would have to get the invitation from Nintendo and have fan-demand to really get the process of Sora being in Smash going. This would also need major approval from Square Enix and Nomura.
-Disney is not very restrictive, but rather very particular. So Disney would not have crazy strict control as people like to say.
-If all those things came together, then Sora in Smash would be something Disney would consider.
-Kingdom Hearts 3 is currently Disney's biggest priority, anything after KH3's development, that is something Disney can seriously consider afterwards.

It does not seem to imply that Jason is deconfirming Sora, but it is strange for him to know this much how Sora in Smash would work. Do you think this deconfirms Sora for Smash Switch's base game? I need some opinions badly, because processing all of this is taking time for me right now. This video is major news for us as Sora supporters.
Well, if they have to ask permission from both Disney, Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix that's almost as hard as putting fourth-party characters like Goku in. And I would expect them to ask Haley Joel Osment to provide the voice. And besides, Disney's a fourth-party so it's hard for me to believe Sora's allowed on this no-fourth-party thing.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Based on what Jason said, it seems like Nomura would have the bigger say on what can allow KH content than Disney, like with Dissidia origin matter originally being a part of Kingdom Hearts, but with Nomura having the final say on stating no on the idea due to the idea not working. If Nomura has the final say, then that makes negotiation for Sora so much easier! That is something Nomura would absolutely love to happen.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Unfortunately he already betrayed his own concepts by putting characters like Cloud and even Mario himself in the game!
Knowing that they are not exclusive to Video Games!
Allow me to amend my statement, since you took it so literally.

Sakurai has already said he won't add characters who didn't debut in a video game.
ribbit

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Within the movie Wreck-It Ralph, Ralph is a "video game character" in-universe.

Well, if they have to ask permission from both Disney, Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix that's almost as hard as putting fourth-party characters like Goku in. And I would expect them to ask Haley Joel Osment to provide the voice. And besides, Disney's a fourth-party so it's hard for me to believe Sora's allowed on this no-fourth-party thing.
For the millionth time.

There is no such thing as "fourth party". Any character not originating from Nintendo would be a third party, whether it's Rayman, Sora, or Eric freaking Cartman.

As for Ralph, he originated in a MOVIE. Not a video game. End of story. He doesn't hold any water in this discussion.

You keep going in circles over and over and you never seem to learn. Why is that?

ribbit

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Spra Moveset

Stats

Weight: 6/10 (slightly less then Lucario)
Walk Speed: 7/10 (About Mario's)
Run Speed: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Fall Speed: 4/10 (Around Pits)
Size: A bit shorter than Lucario due to his stance, a bit shorter than Marth in the air
Crawl: No
Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No
Game Play Plan: Combo Sword Fighter
While most Sword fighters fight with power or finesse, Sora chooses to focus on combos instead. Sora does have difficulty killing however, due to his focus on raw combo potential rather than pure killing power. He is meant to play a bit safe and then get huge punishes via keyblade combos. I chose this idea for his moveset because I wanted something like KH2FM+ combat to be the basis for his moveset.

A Moves
Jab 1 - Sora does a combo starting slash, 3%
Jab 2 - Sora does a horizontal slash 3%
Jab 3 - Sora uses Stun Impact to knock foes away, hits all around Sora in a short range 3%
F Tilt- Sora uses Arcs Arcanum and coats his keyblade in light, swings it three times (2,2,3%) good tool to lead to punishes
Up Tilt- Sora swipes up with the keyblade 6%
Down Tilt- Sora does a three hit combo in blitz that starts low, low , and then medium height swings, final swing has good knockback
Dash Attack- Sora uses Zantezuken, can cross people up and does decent shield damage, but poor damage and knockback 5%
U Smash - Sora casts Thundaga, one of his few kill moves, works like Palutena's Up Smash (13-18%)
F Smash - Sora shoots forward a Blizzaga blast, has good range and hitbox but low power or KO potential(10-15%)
D Smash- Sora Casts firaga as it surrounds him, good for combos (4 hits , 3-4% Each, 12-16% total)
N air- Sora does a vertical spin with Vortex, hitting all around him, (5%). A very fast move that is essential for him to lead to more combos
F air- Sora unleashes a short air combo from KH2, four hits that do 2,2,2,and 3 for the final hit (total 9%), useful for leading to end of combos or for pressure
B air - Identical to Fair, but with shorter range. Does not turn Sora Around
U Air- Sora Casts a quick magnet spell that draws opponents in and explodes, dealing about 7%, good combo ender but poor kill move.
Down Air- Sora plunges the Keyblade down like Cloud's Dair, does not linger as long but a good tool to pop people up for combos (8%)
Grabs and Throws
Grab- Sora grabs opponent, simple grab
Pummel- Sora kicks his opponent with his big boy feet, 2% per pummel.
F throw- Sora throws opponent forward at steep 60 degree angle and uses Strike Raid to hit the opponent (6%)
B throw- Same as F throw but in reverse (6%)
U throw- Sora uses wind magic to push opponents upward, good combo throw (4%)
D throw- Sora uses Graviga to slam opponents into the ground, good kill throw at around 145% (8%)

B Moves
Neutral B- Ragnarok

Sora charges up Ragnarok, leading to him to shoot out several projectiles of light that home in on the target. Should Sora hold Ragnarok in place and remain stationary for a 1.5 seconds, a second flurry of lights will fly out. Useful to help pressure opponents and scare them. 1st wave 6 lights and second wave 7, which each deal 1% Each, so total max output fresh is 13%.
Side B- Sonic Blade
Sora charges forward keyblade first that knocks opponents into the air. This move is the crux of Sora's pressure. It has low lag, so Sora can either follow up with another Sonic Blade or choose to go for air or ground combos. It crosses up shields as well, letting Sora have strong shield pressure. Each blade thrust does 5% fresh.
Up B- Aeroga
Sora surrounds himself with wind which gives him two full seconds of free aerial mobility. Should this run out Sora will have no jumps and his air speed is cut in half until he lands or is hit. Aeroga also can not be used again until Sora lands. This move is a decent albeit risky recovery tool, but its main strength is to pursue for combos. Aeroga does have a slight damage box near Sora where hits do 1% damage with light knockback.
Down B- Explosion
This move is important as it is literally one of Sora's only kill moves. Thankfully it has good range and is a great combo finisher. For large orbs emerge around sora and circle him, only going ~30 degrees above or below Sora for a short distance. The orbs do 8% but have strong knockback. The key to this move is to use it at the end of a combo or a few small hits to help get KOs. KOs Mario around 120%
Final Smash- Final Form Trinity Limit
Sora enters his final form, and his keyblades change to Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Sora enacts the Trinity limit light attack while Oathkeeper and Oblivion fly across the screen like Latios and Latias. The Keyblade hits each do 8% with mild knockback while the final light explosion does 30% with strong knockback.

Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Sora enters deep sleep ala DDD, can be held indefinately.
Taunt 2- Sora does a funny face.
Taunt 3- Sora looks at the good luck charm Kairi gave him.
On Screen Appearance- Sora hops out of the Gummi Ship.

Victory 1- Sora spins the keyblade around and rests it on his shoulder.
Victory 2- Sora eats some sea salt ice cream.
Victory 3- Sora seals a keyhole.

Idle poses: Sora will sometimes kick the ground.
Altais Altais mind adding my moveset to the op?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
With KH3's recent clarification about Link attacks, I kinda wanna see Sora implement Disney characters in his moveset for a special move at least. What I saw in Ariel's team up-and-down splash attack with Sora would work nicely as a short move, and would not be a long process:

Although: if they cannot do that, there is the keyblade transformations Sora can implement as well:

Just remove the logos and you got something bizarre and cool for Sora's moveset. Nomura has truly stepped in gameplay creativity. Sora literally has an endless pool of moveset potential in Smash at this point with KH3.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
For the millionth time.

There is no such thing as "fourth party". Any character not originating from Nintendo would be a third party, whether it's Rayman, Sora, or Eric freaking Cartman.

As for Ralph, he originated in a MOVIE. Not a video game. End of story. He doesn't hold any water in this discussion.

You keep going in circles over and over and you never seem to learn. Why is that?

ribbit
Vader's Apprentice also originated in a video game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This has been going in circles for weeks now, I am tired of hearing stupid arguement for wreck it Ralph or starkiller or whatever from one guy. Everyone else is on the same page: this is a SORA thread. There is no fourth party debate. A wise man once said, better to let everyone think you are a fool than to open your mouth to prove it.

To keep this on topic instead of a mini rant, the new gameplay looks sweet. Definitely wish we saw more bosses or a humanoid boss, I want to see stuff like an org fight or something similar.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And by the way, if we want a Disney rep, wouldn't Wreck-It Ralph be a better candidate for Smash since his movie is all about gaming with the likes of Sonic, Ryu, Bowser and Pac-Man making cameos in his movie and his appearances in Disney crossover games like Kingdom Hearts III and Disney Infinity show a retro Nintendo styled gimmick, the fact that he made an appearance in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed and how he seems to be a parody of Donkey Kong? Wouldn't Ralph be a better candidate for Smash than Sora? I do like Sora, but if he gets a thread for Final Fantasy ties, surely the most Nintendo-like Disney property should get a thread too?
Wreck-It Ralph is a Cartoon character, full stop. Since he is not owned by Nintendo, he cannot be allowed a thread due to the rules of this section. A character must either debut in a video game or be owned by Nintendo(and have a video game appearance). To note your later statement, it's about the franchise just as much as the character.

The Apprentice is designed to be a character created for a Movie/Book Franchise. Debuting in a video game isn't enough. For contrast, Lucario debuted in the anime movies and was made for a video game series. Not that he's 3rd party, but the point stands that intentions actually matter too. The series needs to be much more video-game related. Though to be fair, he by the rules can have a thread, as he debuted fully in a video game(on a technicality. However, it would be best for the Moderation to actually discuss a situation like his before allowing it). He has little to no chance of happening of course, but he doesn't break any rules for thread creation technically speaking. Obviously little to nobody will consider it a realistic option, even if they would like the character. For the same reason, someone like Android 21 has pretty much no given chance. The licensing to get a lesser character over the major ones makes it pretty much not worth trying to do so. Sakurai would sooner add Goku than Android 21, who already has a 0% chance due to his own personal rules of character additions(not that he can't change these, but until then, we base our overall thread creation rules specific to Sakurai's own actions. So far, he has allowed 3rd party characters who debuted in a video game series, characters owned by Nintendo but not literally debuted in a game, and Nintendo characters that debuted in a game. We have zero examples of anything else to consider, so the rules can't be updated to try something that isn't official).

Now for an official mod statement. Since what you said is unrelated to Sora or even Kingdom Hearts, please discuss it with the Smash Switch Moderation via PM's. We'll gladly discuss the rules and reasons with you. You have every right to make a case, and we'll listen. It's no issue. We're not some dictators, after all.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This has been going in circles for weeks now, I am tired of hearing stupid arguement for wreck it Ralph or starkiller or whatever from one guy. Everyone else is on the same page: this is a SORA thread. There is no fourth party debate. A wise man once said, better to let everyone think you are a fool than to open your mouth to prove it.

To keep this on topic instead of a mini rant, the new gameplay looks sweet. Definitely wish we saw more bosses or a humanoid boss, I want to see stuff like an org fight or something similar.
I'm just hoping all the flashiness has some actual substance behind it - as cool as Attraction Flow and Keyblade transformations are, I doubt I'll be using them much in my initial playthrough if at all. I like just using the Kingdom Key and smacking Heartless around.

...I'm also very sad that Wreck-It Ralph won't be a world. I was hoping to see Vanellope and Calhoun interact with our heroes ehilr inside the candy-coated world of Sugar Rush. Oh well...

ribbit

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Okay, I drop the whole "fourth-party" debate thing. I really didn't like arguing against the main character of my favorite Disney games anyway. Anyway, how do you think his classic three-hit combo be utilized? Would it be a neutral attack or could it be a side special like Marth's Dancing Blade? Could Ragnarok be his Final Smash? Aerial Sweep would be a great up special.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm just hoping all the flashiness has some actual substance behind it - as cool as Attraction Flow and Keyblade transformations are, I doubt I'll be using them much in my initial playthrough if at all. I like just using the Kingdom Key and smacking Heartless around.

...I'm also very sad that Wreck-It Ralph won't be a world. I was hoping to see Vanellope and Calhoun interact with our heroes ehilr inside the candy-coated world of Sugar Rush. Oh well...

ribbit
it was said that there would be a summon in kh3 which would be related to the unreleased brand new world for union cross, so theres a possibility we may get it there

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would still like on opinions on HMK's video on whether or not Jason stating the process of Sora Smash negotiation would be a disconfirmation of Sora for the base game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I would still like on opinions on HMK's video on whether or not Jason stating the process of Sora Smash negotiation would be a disconfirmation of Sora for the base game.
You have to understand a lot of what Jason said is definite PR talk. Obviously, he can't state whether or not Sora would appear in Smash, base game or otherwise; nor can he say whether or not Square Enix/Disney had been contacted by Nintendo. Frankly, I don't see Sora as very likely either way; all he said is that he thinks it would be cool and the hoops Nintendo would have to jump through to get Sora.

ribbit

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I know I'm super late-to-the-party on this, but I'm really disappointed that Wreck-It-Ralph is just a summon and not a world, since it's getting a sequel just before KH3 releases and the first movie was my favorite Disney film since the Renaissance. Though I guess I should count my blessings that he's there at all, plus I'm already lucky enough that we got a Monsters Inc world.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I really hope Frozen is a world in KH3. Elsa and Anna would be great party members. And Disney is still marketing this five-year-old movie!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really hope Frozen is a world in KH3. Elsa and Anna would be great party members. And Disney is still marketing this five-year-old movie!
well id be surprised if it wasnt, though someone claimed to have leaked files from kh3 which strongly suggested a frozen world

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Basically what Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming said, and also I wouldn't put too much stock into HMK. I stopped listening to him ages ago, it always seemed to be baseless speculation (more baseless than most). If I want to hear any Kingdom Hearts content/opinions, I go on over to SkywardWing or Frustrated Jacob personally. Not only do they seem a bit more grounded, but they're pretty entertaining personalities to listen to.

Regardless of this stuff, I don't think Sora's coming base game. His best chance is DLC. My guess is he'll be DLC to coincide with the reveal that they're doing a KH3 port on the Switch (please let me have this Nomura, you've already ruined my life enough with this franchise).

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Basically what Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming said, and also I wouldn't put too much stock into HMK. I stopped listening to him ages ago, it always seemed to be baseless speculation (more baseless than most). If I want to hear any Kingdom Hearts content/opinions, I go on over to SkywardWing or Frustrated Jacob personally. Not only do they seem a bit more grounded, but they're pretty entertaining personalities to listen to.

Regardless of this stuff, I don't think Sora's coming base game. His best chance is DLC. My guess is he'll be DLC to coincide with the reveal that they're doing a KH3 port on the Switch (please let me have this Nomura, you've already ruined my life enough with this franchise).
I don't dislike HMK, but I prefer his theories over his "news." If you want KH3 news (and information) go to Cynical, AKA TheGamersJoint. SkywardWing is nice but has his fair share of problems to. Though he is super chill and down to earth.

ribbit

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't dislike HMK, but I prefer his theories over his "news." If you want KH3 news (and information) go to Cynical, AKA TheGamersJoint. SkywardWing is nice but has his fair share of problems to. Though he is super chill and down to earth.

ribbit
True that.

Although I'm a big fan of Frustrated Jacob. He's doing playthroughs of the games right now with his friends that have no previous knowledge of the games. They go in depth about mechanics and story and all, and instead of just praising the games constantly, they give hilarious takes to some of the questionable decisions the past few games have made. It's nice to hear new opinions as well as a veteran give actual critiques to the series, which I feel the KH community refuses to do.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
God, Sora would hype me out of my mind even if only because my brother loves KH. He'd actually try playing someone other than Pikachu for once in his life. :laugh:

If there's a support list, feel free to add me. I think he has a surprisingly good chance as DLC, and I'd welcome his inclusion.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have a question for you Sora fans.

How would feel if Sora was playable, but that's all the Kingdom Heart content in the game. No stages, no trophies aside from the ones every playable character has and no music aside from his victory theme.

Obviously this would be done to avoid using Disney specific content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

How would feel if Sora was playable, but that's all the Kingdom Heart content in the game. No stages, no trophies aside from the ones every playable character has and no music aside from his victory theme.

well i imagine most of us would be fine with that any way, not including stuff to avoid non kingdom hearts originated disney stuff would be some what dumb though

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I’d consider it a Pyrrhic victory.

On one hand sora is playable and in hue game. On the other hand, stages like hollow bastion or the world that never was would be awesome. And lacking kh music would be a bummer too.

Top Bottom