• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The more I discuss Sora's chances for Smash Switch in the RTC thread, the more confident I feel on banking Sora as a prediction. It almost feels like the reveal is inevitable, but I will moderate my expectations so that I do not go kaboom. :p

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well, it's obvious Geno would have the mushroom symbol. What symbol would Sora have? What would be the symbol for Kingdom Hearts? Would it be a keyhole, a keyblade, a crown, a heart, a Mickey Mouse shape, the Heartless emblem, what do you think it'll be?
Either the heartless emblem or the kingdom hearts logo in the center of the titles. That heart shape thing.

I suppose a crown could also work.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
While I love Kingdom Hearts and I'm excited for Kingdom Hearts III, I feel like Sora's inclusion would put Mickey Mouse on people's wishlists for being a major part of Kingdom Hearts, and Mickey is one of those characters that everyone in Smashboards would deny for being a non-video game character. Mickey could even be a trophy as well that triggers people into thinking he could be a fighter, like how Rayman's trophy made people want Rayman in Smash. Sora's standing on top of the line between video game character and 4th party character when Disney owns him and his series being full of Disney movie characters. If he gets in, then Goku could get in. Then again, they could have only original content from Kingdom Hearts, but if they ignore the Disney stuff, would the Mickey keychain on Sora's Kingdom Key be censored? Or would Sora be alone with no stages and no trophies to represent Kingdom Hearts? Sora replaced Mickey within the development of the first Kingdom Hearts, which was why he had big yellow shoes and red shorts and travels with Mickey's friends Donald and Goofy. I feel like Sora's chances are a bit low and would open the floodgates to Goku if he was revealed. Sora may have started in a video game, but he started in a licensed game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I love Kingdom Hearts and I'm excited for Kingdom Hearts III, I feel like Sora's inclusion would put Mickey Mouse on people's wishlists for being a major part of Kingdom Hearts, and Mickey is one of those characters that everyone in Smashboards would deny for being a non-video game character. Mickey could even be a trophy as well that triggers people into thinking he could be a fighter, like how Rayman's trophy made people want Rayman in Smash. Sora's standing on top of the line between video game character and 4th party character when Disney owns him and his series being full of Disney movie characters. If he gets in, then Goku could get in. Then again, they could have only original content from Kingdom Hearts, but if they ignore the Disney stuff, would the Mickey keychain on Sora's Kingdom Key be censored? Or would Sora be alone with no stages and no trophies to represent Kingdom Hearts? Sora replaced Mickey within the development of the first Kingdom Hearts, which was why he had big yellow shoes and red shorts and travels with Mickey's friends Donald and Goofy. I feel like Sora's chances are a bit low and would open the floodgates to Goku if he was revealed. Sora may have started in a video game, but he started in a licensed game.
to late ive already seen people wanting mickey

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I have been thinking about the comments about Sora potentially being a DLC character for Smash Switch in the Source Gaming Discord. TBH, I am not sure of that scenario, but maybe in the case that Disney held off the decision late like SEGA did with Sonic in Brawl. Perhaps in the case that Disney has some doubt about Smash Bros. being profitable or some other reason, that would make him a very possible DLC choice. But him being planned for DLC with the development team potentially becoming smaller with a smaller budget (Like with Smash 4 DLC) to meet Disney's potential license fee, I cannot see it happening. If he is going to happen, Sora will make in the base game specifically when the budget is high.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
The transition from Luminous Engine to UE4 means that KH3 can possibly be ported to Switch. This might spur an interest in getting Sora in SSB. There is the downside that KH3 director only wants to work on a Switch version after he gets it out for XBone and PS4 first, however considering UE4 is so beautifully supported on Switch it shouldn't take long to do. Sora has also been a hotly demanded character for a really long time and represents one of Square Enix's biggest franchises. There has been that grain-of-salt rumor that Sakurai wants to focus on third-parties intensively with this new entry. Sakurai has stated in interview that he wants to include what will be popular around the moment they plan release for new SSB titles. SSB Switch and KH3 are both 2018 releases (if neither gets delayed).

Odds are higher for Sora than they've ever been, but it's still questionable because of Disney and Disney alone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps they talked about putting sora in smash when theoretically talking about cameos for wreck ralph 2

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Altais Altais , you may use my analysis for the OP of the Sora thread:

Sora is one of the most interesting candidates to analyze the chances for in Smash Switch. I know it is easy to dismiss the possibility of Sora getting in the game with Disney fully owning the rights to Sora/Kingdom Hearts, but I think there is more favoring Sora than some people might think. I have gained an unusual amount of confidence for Sora being in Smash Switch and I cannot let go of him in my predictions, so I might as well explain.

One notable positive in his favor is Sora likely ranking massively high on the Smash ballot. Back when the ballot voting period started, I saw a colossal amount of fans campaigning for Sora on social media platforms such as Twitter. The support is MOST apparent on YouTube, where Kingdom Hearts YouTubers would consistently encourage people to vote for Sora on the ballot. I have seen Sora campaigned more than any other third-party voted in the West, that I would not be so surprised if he was the #1 ballot choice voted in the region of North America. Sora's demand likely surpasses far more than other Square candidates (aside from maybe Geno), and those amount of votes will definitely get Sakurai’s attention to consider Sora for Smash.

The other matter to consider is Sakurai’s current relationship with Square Enix and Nomura. Sakurai has been notably close with Tetsuya Nomura many times ever since Cloud’s reveal in Smash 4, from the Creator interview regarding Cloud’s reveal in Smash, Nintendo Dream interview briefly discussing Cloud’s inclusion to Sakurai’s recent statement he made about Nomura for KH’s 15th anniversary. Sakurai is definitely aware of KH and at least enjoys playing the KH games, based on his participation of the latter event. He would also be aware of the possible licensing issues when thinking about Sora. But, there are noteworthy statements from Sakurai in the Nintendo Dream Smash interview that makes me think Sakurai would willingly go for Sora:

*Taken from Part 2 of the Creator interview.

Sakurai: Oh, is that so? But really, when you take a step back and look at it, when you see all of these different characters in the same place, Smash is pretty crazy. I suppose that’s pretty ridiculous of me to say, though, given that I’m the creator (laughs).

Nomura: Whether it’s crazy or not, you’ve assembled quite a number of characters.

Sakurai: Honestly, when we revealed Solid Snake for Brawl, I thought, “There’s no way we’ll be able to stage a bigger surprise than this.” But, as a creator, you just keep making more while trying to surprise and delight your audience as much as possible.

Nomura:
The element of surprise is very important.

Note the bolded, italic statement. Given the openness of Sakurai doing another collaboration with Nomura…:

*Also taken from Part 2 of the Creator interview.

Interviewer: Would you like to make another game together in the future, or do another collaboration?

Sakurai: It seems like it would be difficult to decide who would have what role, though.

Nomura: If we were to work together, I think I’d leave most everything up to Mr. Sakurai.

…and noting Sakurai’s relationship with Square Enix at the time:

*Taken from the Nintendo Dream interview.

Sakurai: Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly.

All of these statements from Sakurai lead me to believe that there is a real possibility of Sakurai negotiating Sora with Nomura right after doing an interview with him and Sakurai notcing Sora's high popularity in the ballot. With how ambitious Sakurai is with adding surprise fighters such as Cloud, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer, if he wants to keep pushing for surprises in this new Smash (Especially with third-party choices), then choosing someone like Sora that would be seen as impossible for a hardcore speculating audience would definitely be the next transitional step of surprise. With Sakurai having the experience of negotiating with Square Enix with Cloud, the game history KH carries with the franchise with being critically and financially successful (Selling over 20 million units total as of this 2014 statement), Sora’s distinct upbeat appeal/characterization, and the moveset potential he has with keyblade powers, he seriously feels like a choice that Sakurai would pick next.

In terms of Nintendo's relationship with Disney, their relationship is pretty strong with games like Disney Art Academy and Disney Magical World 1+2, both of which are published by Nintendo. For Disney Art Academy in particular, the game was developed Headstrong Games, whose franchise is owned by Nintendo, of which franchise has gotten representation in Smash 4 in the form of a trophy and music (Swan Lesson). For Nintendo and the studio to be able to collaborate with Disney for this game shows how close Nintendo's relationship with Disney actually is.

Disney would definitely know how profitable Sora appearing in one of the biggest fighting games would be, that is one of the biggest opportunities they would have in establishing a great profit while also forming an even closer relationship with Nintendo. With the relationship Nintendo and Disney have grown up to this point, they would have an easier time adjusting the amount of profit both companies would earn for both of their benefits, that includes Sakurai.

For Kingdom Hearts, there have been multiple instances where KH collaborations in other franchises have been more frequent, like Sora appearing in a recent FF title (World of Final Fantasy) and Mickey’s KH costume in Disney Infinity. These situations have shown Disney’s recent growing openness towards KH content appearing in other games. But, the person who will have the biggest influence and convince Disney to have Sora become a playable fighter in Smash would be none other than Tetsuya Nomura himself.

There is not one doubt in my mind that Nomura would love to see another of his creations become a fighter in Smash. With Nomura’s enormous reputation in the gaming industry and his 16-year long gaming relationship with Disney ever since creating KH1, I do feel Nomura alone could convince Disney that Sora appearing in a party fighting game like Smash would be a great idea.

I see the process of negotiating being as simple as:

1. Sakurai thinking about third-party surprises for Smash, becomes willing to negotiate Sora for Smash.
2. Talking to Nomura for creator permission, possibly asking Square Enix's permission too.
3. Talking to Disney for a Sora negotiation, negotiating possible business deals that would benefit both Nintendo and Disney, with Square Enix and Nomura possibly aiding the negotiation for JP to EN communication purposes. Given Nintendo's relationship with Disney now, I see business deals going rather smoothly, rather than ending up in chaos.
4. Making a finalized deal and developing Sora for Smash.

Everything I say here is what gets me unusually confident about Sora in the same way I felt Bayonetta was a very possible choice when Smash 4 DLC was announced. I think this will be Sakurai’s next wild-card choice for a third-party after Cloud. I feel Disney is LESS of an issue than people initially think. Sora has a legitimate shot and is arguably in the best position now to get in Smash Switch.

To me, Sora is one of the most interesting characters to predict because his pros and cons provide so much complexity and layers, filled with things would favor or go against his inclusion. Exploring Sora's chances is fun and is like figuring out a difficult puzzle in Professor Layton or sliding the Rubik's cube in a way that has same colors on all sides. Right now, I am craving for that delicious, different perspective.

Arguments:

Disney stopped Dissidia from becoming a KH fighting game:

The reason for the rejection of KH fighting game is not because of Disney's strictness, but because Nomura did not think it was a good idea. This creative decision had nothing to do with Disney having strict control. Even if that was really the case, recent cases of Disney allowing KH content in other Square games have shown Disney's openness of utilizing the KH IP, showing major growth in relationship of Square Enix and Disney. Whatever potentially happened back in Dissidia would no longer be an issue due to that growth.

Disney would not allow Sora to be punched or kicked in a fighting game:

That it is not a problem. Smash Bros. is not a gory fighting game where heads and feet falter off like in Mortal Kombat. That kind of content is something that Disney would have legitimate strictness of because how it would make people perceive their properties. Smash Bros. is of same level of violence as most of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Smash Bros. is a cartoony fighting party game. Sora being featured in that kind of game is not going to be a major issue.

Disney will be strict when using their actual IPs in Smash:

Even if Disney was strict with allowing Disney characters present but not Sora, there is enough interesting original content in the KH series for Sakurai to get a substantial amount of solid representation of the franchise. As far as Disney powers go, Summons are probably the closest thing, but they act more like side-things rather than being integral to Sora's gameplay like Flow-motion or Keyblade powers. Sora characterization wise, personality wise, and gameplay wise provides enough tools like magic, keyblade moves, and drive forms to be a stand-out and fun character in Smash. Disney content is not integral to implementing Sora correctly.

Disney will have full control of Sora and how he plays out in Smash:

If Disney is going to be stingy about anything, it would be portraying Sora correctly characterization wise, much like with Nintendo when they were concerned about Bowser's characterization in Wreck-it-Ralph. And since Sakurai is about integrating characters in the most faithful way possible, both would have the same goals. In that matter, it is hard for me to imagine a scenario where Sakurai and Disney would fight out hard to choosing every move and manner Sora has to have in Smash.

The advisors of Disney would not be able to translate Sora into Smash gameplay as well as Sakurai. The best they could advise is looking over if Sora looks and feels accurate on a surface level and trust in Sakurai's talent to be able to envision the character well in Smash. Their potential complaints would go as far as accurately portraying the character, just like Square Enix with Cloud's addition. It is very hard to imagine a worse case scenario where Sakurai and Disney have so many creative differences in gameplay.

Both would be addressing feedback for the sake of implementing Sora in Smash in the best way possible. Meeting the potentially high demands of Disney of how Sora should be implemented in Smash would be a great fun challenge for Sakurai. Everything that Sakurai has done in each new Smash game has been stepping up with more surprises that lead to more interesting challenges. Implementing fighting game mechanics in Smash with Ryu, being able to translate a "peaceful" Nintendo character like Villager into a fighter, and the challenge of implementing Bayonetta's powers without having to lose the core aspect of Bayonetta's power of letting out skin while being able to pass the ratings.

The amount of work Sakurai would have to do for Sora to meet Disney's potentially high demand would be one of the greatest challenges Sakurai would have to face, and that would make the inclusion of Sora all the more satisfying when he is finally fully implemented into Smash Switch's gameplay.

There would be other Square Enix characters for competition:

I personally do not see other Square characters like a Dragon Quest character being actual competition. If Sakurai is going to aim for Sora, then it is him or nothing else. I cannot see Sakurai going for an alternate Square option, especially when Sora's degree of popularity likely outnumbers a number of SQ candidates by miles. What third-party choices will be chosen will be heavily based on very top ballot rankings. The only actual obstacles Sora really has is possible licensing issues with Disney.

It is updated to contain info I gathered in the RTC thread.

The transition from Luminous Engine to UE4 means that KH3 can possibly be ported to Switch. This might spur an interest in getting Sora in SSB. There is the downside that KH3 director only wants to work on a Switch version after he gets it out for XBone and PS4 first, however considering UE4 is so beautifully supported on Switch it shouldn't take long to do. Sora has also been a hotly demanded character for a really long time and represents one of Square Enix's biggest franchises. There has been that grain-of-salt rumor that Sakurai wants to focus on third-parties intensively with this new entry. Sakurai has stated in interview that he wants to include what will be popular around the moment they plan release for new SSB titles. SSB Switch and KH3 are both 2018 releases (if neither gets delayed).
Odds are higher for Sora than they've ever been, but it's still questionable because of Disney and Disney alone.[/QUOTE]
I cannot see it being ported this year mainly because of DQ11 and the outdated UE4:

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dragon-quest-xi-for-switch-delay-due-to-outdated-unreal-engine-4

KH3 could get ported in 2019-2020 maybe, but not now sadly. :/

Regardless, it should not affect Sora's inclusion anyway.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I wonder who's going to be in the Kingdom Hearts trophy gallery? Could it have only OCs like Riku, Kairi, Axel, Roxas, Aqua, or would they put Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Maleficent?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I cannot stop thinking about Sora being in Smash Bros. Switch. I try to lower my freaking expectations, but my Smash speculation mind tells me it will happen and that I do not need to worry. It almost feels like I can reach and see it. If this utter gut feeling is wrong, I swear. Dear lord, E3 cannot come soon enough. I need some kind of confirmation so that my mind can calm down.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I cannot stop thinking about Sora being in Smash Bros. Switch. I try to lower my freaking expectations, but my Smash speculation mind tells me it will happen and that I do not need to worry. It almost feels like I can reach and see it. If this utter gut feeling is wrong, I swear. Dear lord, E3 cannot come soon enough. I need some kind of confirmation so that my mind can calm down.
Try to contain your excitement for at least a month, Nintendo's E3 Video thing will be released on June the 12th. So we won't have to wait that long.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Same here I could picture Sora Smash Trailer Kingdom Hearts Music Playing and bomb Sora in smash. I keep watching people smash wish list videos reasons why Sora should be in smash. Now I think that Square may want to add Sora in smash 5 just to promote KH3 lets be real hear KH3 is a big game. And KH is one of Square second sealing titles. And it kinda worries me that Geno wont be playable cause I dont think that we wont get two or three Square characters. Im like for sure that Cloud wont be cut Cloud is a big JRPG gaming icons. The only reason is FF7 updates recently it might hurt Cloud chances but I gotta be real here.It will suck because Im a Cloud main and it will be a dream come true if I get Cloud Geno and Sora in smash 5 Square is my favorite company.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So if characters from licensed games aren't allowed, but Sora gets a free pass because the licensed game was his debut, does that mean Android 21 from Dragon Ball FighterZ could have a support thread because she's a game exclusive character who never appeared in any of the Dragon Ball anime or manga series?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So if characters from licensed games aren't allowed, but Sora gets a free pass because the licensed game was his debut, does that mean Android 21 from Dragon Ball FighterZ could have a support thread because she's a game exclusive character who never appeared in any of the Dragon Ball anime or manga series?
thats not really the same thing

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
thats not really the same thing
How is it not the same thing? Sora's from a Disney game series that includes the likes of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Jiminy Cricket, Maleficent, etc and goes through worlds that are adaptations of Disney films and he's owned by Disney. How is he any different from licensed games?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So.... Sora beat Pit. Was there ever any doubt?

Next up is Leon Kennedy vs. Frank West. Welp, seeya Frank. Nice knowing you.

If only there was some fighting game where these two could fight as well...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How is it not the same thing? Sora's from a Disney game series that includes the likes of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Jiminy Cricket, Maleficent, etc and goes through worlds that are adaptations of Disney films and he's owned by Disney. How is he any different from licensed games?
well for a start people have actually asked for sora and so far people have only asked for goku not android 21

kingdom hearts is a video game franchise whereas dragon ball is still primarily an anime/manga franchise (as i understand it)

thinking that sora would let in anime characters is ridiculous you might as well argue that pokemon taking heavy influence from the anime is grounds for them sticking ash in

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe Sora's inclusion could work if the collectable trophies didn't include Disney movie characters and the stage was from an original world like Traverse Town. But his ownership by Disney and his involvement in levels that are adaptations of Disney movies and his Mickey inspired design does put him close to fourth-party. Android 21 never appeared in the anime or manga so she technically debuted in a video game and is a video game character. A good loophole for putting something Dragon Ball related in Smash. The only downside being that she's an obscure character with Goku and Vegeta being more popular than her and Krillin's wife Android 18 is the character people think of when they hear "Android #" for a Dragon Ball character name. I think Sora's better off in Disney Infinity if they hadn't cancelled it. How about Chase McCain from LEGO City Undercover? He may be a LEGO minifigure, but he started in a Nintendo exclusive game. Or how about Shelly from Nicktoons Unite? He's not from any Nickolodeon show. Or how about Starkiller, the protagonist of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, a successful Star Wars game? Or Quincy Sharpe who has only appeared in the Batman Arkham Games? And if the Final Fantasy crossover justifies Sora, then maybe someone could request the Mortal Kombat character Dark Khan who is Shao Khan merged with the DC villain Darkseid. Or maybe Ultron Sigma from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite? You know what I'm getting at? If Sora came from a Disney game and made it into Smash, what other OCs from licensed games could we speculate on?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Maybe Sora's inclusion could work if the collectable trophies didn't include Disney movie characters and the stage was from an original world like Traverse Town. But his ownership by Disney and his involvement in levels that are adaptations of Disney movies and his Mickey inspired design does put him close to fourth-party. Android 21 never appeared in the anime or manga so she technically debuted in a video game and is a video game character. A good loophole for putting something Dragon Ball related in Smash. The only downside being that she's an obscure character with Goku and Vegeta being more popular than her and Krillin's wife Android 18 is the character people think of when they hear "Android #" for a Dragon Ball character name. I think Sora's better off in Disney Infinity if they hadn't cancelled it. How about Chase McCain from LEGO City Undercover? He may be a LEGO minifigure, but he started in a Nintendo exclusive game. Or how about Shelly from Nicktoons Unite? He's not from any Nickolodeon show. Or how about Starkiller, the protagonist of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, a successful Star Wars game? Or Quincy Sharpe who has only appeared in the Batman Arkham Games? And if the Final Fantasy crossover justifies Sora, then maybe someone could request the Mortal Kombat character Dark Khan who is Shao Khan merged with the DC villain Darkseid. Or maybe Ultron Sigma from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite? You know what I'm getting at? If Sora came from a Disney game and made it into Smash, what other OCs from licensed games could we speculate on?
This is a false equivalence. First and foremost, none of these characters you listed have the prominence and popularity of Sora, and for a fighting game that celebrates iconic and influential video game characters, it does matter. So just throwing around any "4th party" character that you so deemed just to condescend supporters is ridiculous. Sora is from a video game franchise while every other character you mention is purely derived from animes/cartoons/movies. Sora is ALSO derived from Final Fantasy, I don't think that counts for nothing.

This doesn't open the floodgates for anything. It's just one character from a popular video game franchise based from Final Fantasy. However, I firmly believe IF Sora is in Smash, all content would probably stray from Disney due to the probable nightmare of getting the rights to Donald, Goofy, etc. So a non-Disney stage, no mention of Disney characters, only KH-original characters. Heck, I could even see the Kingdom Key losing the Mickey Mouse keychain if it's too rough to get the rights to it.

Do I think those obstacles above decrease Sora's chances dramatically? Of course. He is by no mean a lock, not even somewhat of a chance. But to make up some arbitrary bull**** like "oh well we might as well have Goku in Smash now" is ridiculous logic.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
None of these characters may not be as prominent as Sora, but he's still a Disney character. And it wouldn't feel right to me if they change the Kingdom Key keychain to censor Mickey's trademarked shape. The keychain is an important part of the Keyblade. Changing the keychain changes the entire Keyblade. And Sora is owned by Disney, not Square Enix. The Disney characters are more prominant in his series than Final Fantasy. And what did people consider for his chances before Cloud was announced? Did Cloud raise Sora's chances? Kingdom Hearts may be a video game series, but so is Dragon Ball Budakai. The logic about ties to Final Fantasy could be applied to the Marvel characters in the Marvel vs. Capcom series which had Mega Man and Street Fighter characters or Ultron Sigma, who's the villain of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite who is Sigma merged with Ultron.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
None of these characters may not be as prominent as Sora, but he's still a Disney character. And it wouldn't feel right to me if they change the Kingdom Key keychain to censor Mickey's trademarked shape. The keychain is an important part of the Keyblade. Changing the keychain changes the entire Keyblade. And Sora is owned by Disney, not Square Enix. The Disney characters are more prominant in his series than Final Fantasy. And what did people consider for his chances before Cloud was announced? Did Cloud raise Sora's chances? Kingdom Hearts may be a video game series, but so is Dragon Ball Budakai. The logic about ties to Final Fantasy could be applied to the Marvel characters in the Marvel vs. Capcom series which had Mega Man and Street Fighter characters or Ultron Sigma, who's the villain of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite who is Sigma merged with Ultron.
im fairly certain people thought sora was more likely than cloud (i know i did)

theres nothing to say that the inclusion of sora would see stuff from other disney properties included theres plenty of original stuff from the series for them not to include any non orginal characters there is no rule to say that sora would have to bring the entire cast with him

the assumption that anyone character would open the way for any other character is flawed as thats not how it works cloud did not effect sora's chances and sora would not cause mickey to be included (some people already asked for him after epic mickey)

you cant apply the rules of character inclusion between characters of the same franchise let alone characters from similar franchises there are a lot of factors to character inclusion

all sora's inclusion would mean is that wed likely get some kingdom hearts stuff with perhaps destiny islands as a stage riku as an assist trophy maybe even some heartless in smash run

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I can't really make a full fledged out moveset for him. So, I'll just make what I can I guess. Look, I'm sorry, OK? I've only played 1 Kingdom Hearts game! (Kingdom Hearts Re:coded)

Neutral Special - Similar to Shulk's. I think his playstyle would be kinda like Shulk's. So, he could pick between what he could use to fight.

Up Special - Similar to Ike's Up Special

I am so sorry! I really need to play more Kingdom Hearts games!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I can't really make a full fledged out moveset for him. So, I'll just make what I can I guess. Look, I'm sorry, OK? I've only played 1 Kingdom Hearts game! (Kingdom Hearts Re:coded)

Neutral Special - Similar to Shulk's. I think his playstyle would be kinda like Shulk's. So, he could pick between what he could use to fight.

Up Special - Similar to Ike's Up Special

I am so sorry! I really need to play more Kingdom Hearts games!
You're not going to be able to come up with a moveset with just Re:Coded! And his playstyle would be so unlike Shulk. I suggest looking around to see what potential he has.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, it's still really confusing how Sora as a Disney character is allowed a support thread while characters from licensed games aren't. That Mickey keychain could complicate things if we are to completely avoid Disney references. Maybe they could keep the keychain as fair use. Maybe they could remove it. Or maybe Disney could allow the Disney parts of the series to be referenced with trophies of Mickey, Donald and Goofy? I like Sora and maybe he can get a decent moveset. I do enjoy playing Kingdom Hearts and I'm speculating what KH3 would be like. I would want to support him but his strong Disney ties make him a fourth-party. We might need to allow threads for Goku and Mickey for this thread to be legal.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, it's still really confusing how Sora as a Disney character is allowed a support thread while characters from licensed games aren't. That Mickey keychain could complicate things if we are to completely avoid Disney references. Maybe they could keep the keychain as fair use. Maybe they could remove it. Or maybe Disney could allow the Disney parts of the series to be referenced with trophies of Mickey, Donald and Goofy? I like Sora and maybe he can get a decent moveset. I do enjoy playing Kingdom Hearts and I'm speculating what KH3 would be like. I would want to support him but his strong Disney ties make him a fourth-party. We might need to allow threads for Goku and Mickey for this thread to be legal.
Sora is a video game character with no ties to any pre-existing Disney franchise; if anything he's closer to a Final Fantasy OC than a Disney one. The difference between this and someone like Android 21 is that he exists seperate from the "source" people claim he's from; I.E. he can work outside of the Disney parts (and he did in World of Final Fantasy) unlike Android 21 who only works from a Dragon Ball Z standpoint.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Interesting discovery to note about Sora's character rights from RogersBase:

Roger used to do licensing and contract work with Disney and said this:

-Square Enix owns the designs of Sora and Riku, and Disney owns the rights to the characters of the KH cast.
-But Disney has to approve of any new designs that Sora, Riku, and other KH characters that Tetsuya and other Square members make.

His reasonings for Sora having less of a chance than Goku or Luffy are pretty flat though and can be easily argued with the stuff I mentioned in my analysis, but now I have further clarification on what goes on with Sora licensing matters. I trust RogersBase on this, he is a good dude that would not lie about this stuff.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sora is a video game character with no ties to any pre-existing Disney franchise; if anything he's closer to a Final Fantasy OC than a Disney one. The difference between this and someone like Android 21 is that he exists seperate from the "source" people claim he's from; I.E. he can work outside of the Disney parts (and he did in World of Final Fantasy) unlike Android 21 who only works from a Dragon Ball Z standpoint.
While Sora may have been designed by Square Enix and looks something like a Final Fantasy character, but if he's owned by Disney and his games are full of Disney characters then he's still a fourth-party character. His appearance in World of Final Fantasy is DLC licensed by Disney. And you know, I think Galen Marek would make a better example for a video game character that is tied to a fourth party franchise. I just picked Android 21 out of the video game only characters category on Dragon Ball Wiki and that name just reminds me too much of Android 18 and I don't know much about 21. But Galen Marek, also known as Starkiller was the protagonist of a successful Star Wars game and he guest appeared in Soul Calibur IV. The only appearances he had in other media were tie-ins for The Force Unleashed. He never appeared in the movies, TV, or expanded universe books. Outside of LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars and Soul Calibur, he's only appeared in the two Force Unleashed games. And, he seems to be pretty popular with the Star Wars fanbase. If Vader's Apprentice can't have a support thread, neither can Sora.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman

-Square Enix owns the designs of Sora and Riku, and Disney owns the rights to the characters of the KH cast.
-But Disney has to approve of any new designs that Sora, Riku, and other KH characters that Tetsuya and other Square members make.

His reasonings for Sora having less of a chance than Goku or Luffy are pretty flat though and can be easily argued with the stuff I mentioned in my analysis, but now I have further clarification on what goes on with Sora licensing matters. I trust RogersBase on this, he is a good dude that would not lie about this stuff.
Roger do have a point about Sora chances man why Disney create Sora and not Square why but it what it is. But I guess I have to stick to my boy Geno and Noctis.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
While Sora may have been designed by Square Enix and looks something like a Final Fantasy character, but if he's owned by Disney and his games are full of Disney characters then he's still a fourth-party character. His appearance in World of Final Fantasy is DLC licensed by Disney. And you know, I think Galen Marek would make a better example for a video game character that is tied to a fourth party franchise. I just picked Android 21 out of the video game only characters category on Dragon Ball Wiki and that name just reminds me too much of Android 18 and I don't know much about 21. But Galen Marek, also known as Starkiller was the protagonist of a successful Star Wars game and he guest appeared in Soul Calibur IV. The only appearances he had in other media were tie-ins for The Force Unleashed. He never appeared in the movies, TV, or expanded universe books. Outside of LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars and Soul Calibur, he's only appeared in the two Force Unleashed games. And, he seems to be pretty popular with the Star Wars fanbase. If Vader's Apprentice can't have a support thread, neither can Sora.
Come on man, you've repeated yourself so many times, I get it you want your favourite anime character in the game but Sora is a completely different story. He is a bonafide video game character appearing only in video games and making his first appearance in a video game, his costars may appear from other forms of media (disney) but street fighter had characters from marvel (or something like that) and Ryu got in. My point is your argument isn't an argument, your 'facts' aren't facts as such but your own sour spin on Sora not being a video game character but a anime character or something (4th party as people say for some reason).

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

So does that mean that if square enix use one of Sora's old designs he can be in any game or does him having a different play style suggest a different design?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
There is no such thing as "fourth party." That's a fan-given name and a pretty dumb one at that. Even if the character doesn't originate in a game they would still be third party (unless they were owned by Nintendo - of which we actually have one! It's called R.O.B.)

Sora is owned by Disney. No one is arguing that. But, as I mentioned in my previous post which it would do you well to finish reading, he DOES NOT HAVE AN ESTABLISHED TIE TO A DISNEY PROPERTY. He's not a Mickey Mouse character, Hercules character, Winnie-the-Pooh, etc. Character. Android 21 and Starkiller DO have ties to one particular franchise each, being Dragon Ball and Star Wars; beyond that these characters are not the main character of the franchise and thus cannot exist outside of their respectively limited universes; whereas Sora's series literally implies unlimited worlds. Who's to say Smash isn't one of them?

Your argument is invalid; and frankly you are not only making yourself look idiotic but also pretentious and rude.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So does that mean that if square enix use one of Sora's old designs he can be in any game or does him having a different play style suggest a different design?
That's a good question, and that I am unsure of, but I am sure Disney has to approve of the idea of him being playable anyway, which they likely would.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I like how nobody talked about the new Sora vs Pit Death Battle.

I guess no one here has complaints about the outcome.

Top Bottom