• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'd love to see Sora in Smash.

I've only recently gotten into the series (well, if you count June 2017 as recent), but it has become one of my favorite gaming series ever, and I feel like he could be a very unique fighter, so he's pretty much one of my most wanted newcomers.

Oh yeah and if he got in that means we could get KH music in Smash which is automatically a good thing.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Sora getting into Smash is my dream.
Now there is a debate about whether Sora and the original Kingdom Hearts characters are owned by Square Enix or Disney. But I don't think it matters. If it's Square: Square Enix has been getting along with Nintendo more recently so I think they wouldn't have a problem putting Sora in Smash. And if it's Disney: Since Kingdom Hearts isn't that well known compared to their other franchises I think it'd be a smart choice to put Sora in Smash to advertise Kingdom Hearts to other Nintendo fans. Plus we all know Disney loves money. In general, it's a good business decision from both ends. A great way to hype up Kingdom hearts 3 since both games release in 2018 and are both huge Crossover games. And there's much for his moveset.The abilities Sora can equip in the games, Special Abilities, Magic, Flowmotion, Drive forms. Plus seeing Sora fight the likes of Link, Pit or Shulk would be great. C'mon guys. This is too much to pass by on. Make it happen Nintendo, Square and Disney!
#Sora4Smash

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Does anyone watch Death Battle by Screwattack? I saw the latest Death Battle, Crash VS Spyro, (yes, I watched it early. I am a First member) and...

they revealed at the end that the next fighter is going to be Sora himself. He will be up against Pit. Hope you don't mind me spoiling here.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Sora would fit right in with the Smash Cast with his happy-go-lucky attitude

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Does anyone have a roster maker slot of KH1 Sora?:

Definitely a supporter of Sora. Not sure why, but I feel this character is the next wildcard third-party choice from Sakurai.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Does anyone watch Death Battle by Screwattack? I saw the latest Death Battle, Crash VS Spyro, (yes, I watched it early. I am a First member) and...

they revealed at the end that the next fighter is going to be Sora himself. He will be up against Pit. Hope you don't mind me spoiling here.
It's out for everyone now.

Apparently Sora has better stats but Pit CAN win with superior speed plus intangibility.

I support Sora. He's a cool characrer.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I don't understand why people want this. Sora is FAR more powerful, and if they retain their "rule" of no outside help, Pit can't do much without Palutena.

I guess their connection is light? And the fact they look mildly similar? God, Shulk would've been a much better opponent.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If Sora were to get in Smash what design do you think Sakurai would go for? I think the KH1 Sora fits Smash the best, the design fits in with Smash's current artstyle very well and best embodies the character's laid-back personality. KH2 and KH3 Sora are fine, but it is not really the most polished.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Pit has arrows that can phase through objects like walls. It may be a long shot, but it's the only way he can legit win.

As for theme? Yeah, I have no idea.

If Sora were to get in Smash what design do you think Sakurai would go for? I think the KH1 Sora fits Smash the best, the design fits in with Smash's current artstyle very well and best embodies the character's laid-back personality. KH2 and KH3 Sora are fine, but it is not really the most polished.
It's a tossup between all 3 designs. It may even depend on what he does for a moveset.

If Drive forms are a part of the moveset it might not be KH1 since Drive came from his clothes (for. . .some reason).

If not, it's probably a tossup between KH1 and 3. 1 is a pretty iconic design, but 3 is new and shiny. Personally i'm a fan of KH2 or DDD because I think they're the best but oh well.
:061:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Sora is really the only new character i want in smash so I hope nintendo can make it happen, while their at it they can get KHI, KHII and KHIII on the switch, then for KH final mix trailer afterwards they can do a smash trailer similar to how they announced inkling.

Sora's moveset proposal:

A: 3 hit combo (the original from KH) last hit has launch potential
A side: horizontal swing launches opponent
A down: sweeps keyblade along floor
A up: thrusts keyblade into air

Smash side: brings keyblade from ground up has high launch potential
Smash down: firaga wraps around him (same as someone said before)
Smash up: thundaga like Paletenas (I liked these smashes)

Air Neutral: areoga wraps around Sora and does slight damage to opponent but has wind box so players are pushed away
Air side (facing): strong swing (Sora's two strike diagonal air finish) has high launch
Air side (behind) without changing direction faced swings stabs keyblade behind him
Air down: same as links down thrust however doesn't bring Sora down faster, has meteor effect
Air up: keyblade swings from chest to above head

Standard special: charge drive gauge, when charged transforms to master or final form and has more powerful attacks lasts for 20 seconds has same charge time as clouds limit. When in different form standard special performs infinite combo with both keyblades like fan item but looks cool and more than 1% damage
Side special: blizzaga combos three when in are moves Sora to side
Down special: guard, stuns character pushing them back slowly allowing for you to retaliate with one of your attacks
Up special: swings keyblade up, like in game it pulls you toward close opponents (like sonics standard b)

Grabs with hands
pummels with knee
Side throw (facing): Sora throws opponent and tosses keyblade after them (strike raid)
Side throw (behind): tosses opponent behind by swinging keyblade into them
Down throw: Sora hits them to ground with keyblade sends opponent up
Up throw: Sora throws opponent up into gravity and pulls opponent to ground

Final smash: trinity limit from KHI hits opponents around Sora

this seems alright I think it makes him unique so if Sora does get in he won't have such a moveset

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I know it is too early to say this since Sora has yet to reach the top of the nominations list in RTC, but man, oh boy, I am so ****ing excited for Sora's RTC day when it comes. I already have a large analysis ready for Sora, and I hope my post will lead to a very interesting discussion on the possibility of him being in Smash. I should probably nominate Sora right after this day so we can get to it as soon as possible. You will see why I have been confident of Sora when that day comes.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I love the Kingdom Hearts games and I think Sora could get a decent moveset for Super Smash Bros. But since he's owned by Disney and he travels to worlds based on Disney movies, wouldn't he be considered a 4th-party character? Would the Kingdom Hearts-related trophies feature Disney characters? I feel like his inclusion would really open the door to non-video game characters like Goku and we're not allowed to talk about those kinds of characters, despite the Pokémon content taking some inspiration from the anime and the fact that James Bond almost made it to Melee.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Since Sakurai generally goes for the most recent design for characters, I could see Sora getting his KH3 appearance, if the game ever got ported to the Switch. His KH2 outfit could be an alternate skin.

Speaking of KH3, I'm hoping we get an exact release date at E3. That said, the only reason I'll be watching the Sony and Microsoft conferences is for KH3. I'm not a console warrior or anything; the reason I've never really bothered to buy a Sony or Microsoft console is simply because there are next to no games on those consoles to which I take a strong interest.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not that I think the KH2+3 Sora looks bad, it's just doesn't feel as fitting with Smash's current artstyle. The KH1 Sora design feels the most Nintendo-y and most true to Sora IMO.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
We could have the different outfits as skins. But I think the KH2 outfit would be the default. Though, considering his KH1 model is shorter than in KH2, would the hitboxes change between the two costumes?

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon Oh wow, I do not like that at all. I don't know how I missed all those details, but now that I see them, I'm mad. Seriously, olive drab pants and shoes? Plaid? It looks so muted, not at all like the rest of Kingdom Hearts' crazy colorful universe.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think I've seen Giantland in a datamine leak somewhere. When's that:

Jungle Book reveal coming?
That'd be a beauty to see. I honestly hope some of the worlds we're getting will be hidden upon release just for us to get excited.

Right now, we have Twilight Town, Olympus Coliseum,Tangled, Big Hero 6, Toy Story, and Monster's Inc. There's a good chance Radiant Garden will be back as well... so I'm going to say we have 3-5 worlds left to see from this upcoming game. Here's hoping the one you said is one of them.

That datamine a few months back said supposedly Frozen, Radiant Garden, Winnie the Pooh, and Disney Castle are back. I'm hoping there are more surprising ones in comparison to those relatively expected worlds.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am so f***ing hyped for tomorrow's rating of Sora in the RTC thread. You will see why I have been confident of Sora being in Smash when you read my analysis.

BTW, should I share the analysis here first and ask for suggestions? I want to make sure that I do not miss any important points about Sora that could favor his inclusion more.

I am so f***ing hyped for tomorrow's rating of Sora in the RTC thread. You will see why I have been confident of Sora being in Smash when you read my analysis.

BTW, should I share the analysis here first and ask for suggestions? I want to make sure that I do not miss any important points about Sora that could favor his inclusion more.
It's up to you.

Best case scenario, one of us finds an error or something to call out :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Sora is one of the most interesting candidates to analyze the chances for in Smash Switch. I know it is easy to dismiss the possibility of Sora getting in the game with Disney fully owning the rights to Sora/Kingdom Hearts, but I think there is more favoring Sora than some people might think. I have gained an unusual amount of confidence for Sora being in Smash Switch and I cannot let go of him in my predictions, so I might as well explain.

One notable positive in his favor is Sora likely ranking massively high on the Smash ballot. Back when the ballot voting period started, I saw a colossal amount of fans campaigning for Sora on social media platforms such as Twitter. The support is MOST apparent on YouTube, where Kingdom Hearts YouTubers would consistently encourage people to vote for Sora on the ballot. I have seen Sora campaigned more than any other third-party voted in the West, that I would not be so surprised if he was the #1 ballot choice voted in the region of North America. Sora's demand likely surpasses far more than other Square candidates (aside from maybe Geno), and those amount of votes will definitely get Sakurai’s attention to consider Sora for Smash.

The other matter to consider is Sakurai’s current relationship with Square Enix and Nomura. Sakurai has been notably close with Tetsuya Nomura many times ever since Cloud’s reveal in Smash 4, from the Creator interview regarding Cloud’s reveal in Smash, Nintendo Dream interview briefly discussing Cloud’s inclusion, to Sakurai’s recent statement he made about Nomura for KH’s 15th anniversary. Sakurai is definitely aware of KH and at least enjoys playing the KH games, based on his participation of the latter event. He would also be aware of the possible licensing issues when thinking about Sora. But, there are noteworthy statements from Sakurai in the Nintendo Dream Smash interview that makes me think Sakurai would willingly go for Sora:

*Taken from Part 2 of the Creator interview.

Sakurai: Oh, is that so? But really, when you take a step back and look at it, when you see all of these different characters in the same place, Smash is pretty crazy. I suppose that’s pretty ridiculous of me to say, though, given that I’m the creator (laughs).

Nomura: Whether it’s crazy or not, you’ve assembled quite a number of characters.

Sakurai: Honestly, when we revealed Solid Snake for Brawl, I thought, “There’s no way we’ll be able to stage a bigger surprise than this.” But, as a creator, you just keep making more while trying to surprise and delight your audience as much as possible.

Nomura:
The element of surprise is very important.

Note the bolded, italic statement. Given the openness of Sakurai doing another collaboration with Nomura…:

*Also taken from Part 2 of the Creator interview.

Interviewer: Would you like to make another game together in the future, or do another collaboration?

Sakurai: It seems like it would be difficult to decide who would have what role, though.

Nomura: If we were to work together, I think I’d leave most everything up to Mr. Sakurai.

…and noting Sakurai’s relationship with Square Enix at the time:

*Taken from the Nintendo Dream interview.

Sakurai: Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly.

All of these statements from Sakurai lead me to believe that there is a real possibility of Sakurai negotiating Sora with Nomura right after doing an interview with him and Sakurai notcing Sora's high popularity in the ballot. With how ambitious Sakurai is with adding surprise fighters such as Cloud, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer, if he wants to keep pushing for surprises in this new Smash (Especially with third-party choices), then choosing someone like Sora that would be seen as impossible for a hardcore speculating audience would definitely be the next transitional step of surprise. With Sakurai having the experience of negotiating with Square Enix with Cloud, the game history KH carries with the franchise with being critically and financially successful (Selling over 20 million units total as of this 2014 statement), Sora’s distinct upbeat appeal/characterization, and the moveset potential he has with keyblade powers, he seriously feels like a choice that Sakurai would pick next.

I personally do not see other Square characters like a Dragon Quest character being actual competition. If Sakurai is going to aim for Sora, then it is him or nothing else. I cannot see Sakurai going for an alternate Square option, especially when Sora's degree of popularity likely outnumbers a number of SQ candidates by miles. What third-party choices will be chosen will be heavily based on very top ballot rankings IMO. The only actual obstacles Sora really has is possible licensing issues with Disney. But, there have been multiple instances where KH collaborations in other franchises have been more frequent, like Sora appearing in a recent FF title (World of Final Fantasy) and Mickey’s KH costume in Disney Infinity. These situations have shown Disney’s recent growing openness towards KH content appearing in other games. But, the person who will have the biggest influence and convince Disney to have Sora become a playable fighter in Smash would be none other than Tetsuya Nomura himself.

There is not one doubt in my mind that Nomura would love to see another of his creations become a fighter in Smash. With Nomura’s enormous reputation in the gaming industry and his 16-year long gaming relationship with Disney ever since creating KH1, I do feel Nomura alone could convince Disney that Sora appearing in a party fighting game like Smash would be a great idea. Everything I say here is what gets me unusually confident about Sora in the same way I felt Bayonetta was a very possible choice when Smash 4 DLC was announced. I think this will be Sakurai’s next wild-card choice for a third-party after Cloud. I feel Disney is LESS of an issue than people initially think. Sora has a legitimate shot and is arguably in the best position now to get in Smash Switch.

Can this analysis convince speculators that Sora has a real chance in getting in Smash?

Last edited:
Sora was more campaigned than any other third-party voted in the West.
Not a fan of an absolute like this. "Only siths" and all that.

Big problem I have is the focus on SE and Nomura. They have no say in the matter. Disney is the one they would be "negotiating" with.

That's really it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Kinda weird when Shauntae and Shovel Knight were on top of the polls, Sora being heavily campaigned, but Bayonetta won.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I mean, since Sora is Nomura's character, Nomura would definitely have a say on the matter on whether he gets in or not. Disney is definitely the forefront obstacle, but Nomura would be the car key to start the vehicle of a possible Sora negotiation.

Though I am curious why SQ would not have a part in influencing Sora's inclusion to Disney as well.

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I mean, since Sora is Nomura's character, Nomura would definitely have a say on the matter on whether he gets in or not. Disney is definitely the forefront obstacle, but Nomura would be the car key to start the vehicle of a possible Sora negotiation.
If I cant have Sora in smash I rather have Geno for smash 5.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, it's obvious Geno would have the mushroom symbol. What symbol would Sora have? What would be the symbol for Kingdom Hearts? Would it be a keyhole, a keyblade, a crown, a heart, a Mickey Mouse shape, the Heartless emblem, what do you think it'll be?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe Disney wound up with the OCs because the Disney characters outnumbered the Square Enix characters? The Final Fantasy characters were such a minority in the game. Then again, how did Square end up with Geno?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would like more specification on the Disney matter TBH.

But maybe the people rating in RTC will have more specification on the Disney matter, but I doubt it would be anything helpful since most people are brief with their ratings.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would like more specification on the Disney matter TBH.

But maybe the people rating in RTC will have more specification on the Disney matter, but I doubt it would be anything helpful since most people are brief with their ratings.
Well, in Kingdom Hearts, Sora was always accompanied by Donald Duck and Goofy and traveling between worlds where the Disney movies were set. Disney movies that had their own worlds include Alice in Wonderland, Hercules, Tarzan, Aladdin, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Steamboat Willie, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, The Lion King, Tron, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Cinderella, Lilo and Stitch, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Three Musketeers, Fantasia and the worlds anticipated in Kingdom Hearts III include Tangled, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Big Hero Six. And Sora's adventures were recorded in a journal by none other than Jiminy Cricket. Mickey Mouse was a powerful Keyblade Master. Maleficent and Pete are major Disney villains who threaten the entire KH multiverse. And every summon in the game is a Disney character with the likes of Simba, Bambi, Genie, Dumbo, Tinkerbell, Mushu, Chicken Little, Stitch, and Peter Pan. And a lot of Disney worlds have a guest party member to switch with Donald and Goofy. And while people here are wishing for newcomers in Smash 5, the Kingdom Hearts community are wishing for their favorite Disney movies to be adapted for a world in KH3 with fan favorites like Frozen, The Jungle Book, Treasure Planet, Star Wars, etc in people's wishlists. Kingdom Hearts is a licensed Disney crossover. And the Final Fantasy characters such as Cloud are just guests. And Sora's original outfit is themed after Mickey's color scheme and his default Keyblade has a Mickey Mouse keychain. Due to how prominant Disney is with the Kingdom Hearts, it's almost impossible to put Sora in without a Disney cameo. Sure there are other original characters like Riku, Kairi, Namine, Xehanort and Organization XIII. But Mickey's head shape is on Sora's Keyblade. And to use a character from a Disney licensed game would mean they could might as well use Goku from Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. The series had made only made four appearances out of ten on Nintendo handhelds which have been ported to the Playstation 4. Sora's chances seem very low.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Sora's day in RTC. Come by and show your support.

Top Bottom