• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Overall I feel like nothing has changed in the terms of information we’ve been given. There’s still that unreal engine 5 leak as well.
So it Seems like pretty much a given we would see a “Kingdom Hearts 4” at some point based off of how much kh3 itself ended.

I imagine the time between main titles being less than previous simply from the fact they are using unreal engine.

My main concern is if they can successfully create a game that is undeniably better than past installments.
Personally for me Kingdom Hearts 2 was a step up from the original. Kh3 on the other hand, was good a good foundation on a new engine, but didn’t quite wrap everything together nicely.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
still waiting for kh to come to steam 😡💢
If I had to guess, that won't happen until March 30th or so, since the KH games came to the Epic Games Store on March 30, 2021 - I'm assuming that Epic Games has a year-long exclusivity deal when it comes to some games being on PC. (for example, Predator Hunting Grounds came out April 24, 2020 on Epic Games Store and April 29, 2021 on Steam)

Going by that example, it will probably come out on the first Tuesday after March 30th (April 5, 2022).

Last edited:

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
If I had to guess, that won't happen until March 30th or so, since the KH games came to the Epic Games Store on March 30, 2021 - I'm assuming that Epic Games has a year-long exclusivity deal when it comes to some games being on PC. (for example, Predator Hunting Grounds came out April 24, 2020 on Epic Games Store and April 29, 2021 on Steam)

Going by that example, it will probably come out on the first Tuesday after March 30th (April 5, 2022).
I'll just have to wait, I've bought these games so many times on different consoles I refuse to buy it twice on pc. Also now that steam deck exists I won't have to wait for a switch release as well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Smash Ultimate speculation will most likely come to a close tomorrow. I haven't lost the least bit of faith that Sora's coming to Smash and am calmly waiting. Whether or not Sora makes though, I can't say that I'll miss the peanut gallery from the speculation scene.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
We're in the last stretch of the DLC hype train and I was recently reminded of this:

The simple fact that it's guessed the date right for the event is cool enough, but I know that's a spotty take considering the leak history of Smash. So what are your guys' thoughts?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
We're in the last stretch of the DLC hype train and I was recently reminded of this:

The simple fact that it's guessed the date right for the event is cool enough, but I know that's a spotty take considering the leak history of Smash. So what are your guys' thoughts?
Eh, 4chan hasn't really had a consistently good track record with Smash leaks, so I wouldn't think too much about it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just want to say that that Disney announcement during the direct immediately made me think of Smash because of the letter Mickey was throwing around lol

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Who knows at this point? All we can do is hope, but not expect. Not because Sora has no chance, but because expecting something has high chances of setting up for disappointment (looking at you, Switch Pro speculators). Hoping is different from that.

I would take 4chan “leaks” with a grain of salt, but I do find it funny how they got the date right at least.

Ugh, the anticipation is killing me. Regardless of what happens, it’s been one hell of a ride. Or should I say, regardless of warnings, the future doesn’t scare me at AAALLLLLL!!!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i will remind people that there a leak towards the end of the last pass which accurately called a date, terry's release i think. but it said the last character was phoenix wright

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

I have my doubts even if they got the date right but I'm still hopeful for Sora to be the last fighter.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm pretty much expecting a character with Little fanfare since smash always ends Off like that.

Although considering season 2 es entirely about Sakurai putting in content he wanted earlier but either timing of licensing issues got in the way We night be in for one last treat.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
They ended Smash 4 with Bayonetta. I thought that was pretty hype. Heck, I voted for her in the ballot, so seeing her win made me flip my ****. Let’s see if lightning can strike twice for me with Sora…

I wonder how a Sakurai Presents would go for Sora. The thumbnail could have him holding a prop Kingdom Key, like the Diamond Sword/Pickaxe he had for Steve. And I’d kill to hear him make fun of how complicated the story for Kingdom Hearts is.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now I don't know if this was brought up on this thread before, but believe it or not, if we ever get Sora and he has all Disney references intact, then it wouldn't be the first time Smash references Disney:
Now this might seem minor to a lot of people, but for us, this seems like a curious detail.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It would be hilarious if that leak is real but it's not for a character, it's for a mii costume, which sounds more realistic given past mii outfits lol

Now I don't know if this was brought up on this thread before, but believe it or not, if we ever get Sora and he has all Disney references intact, then it wouldn't be the first time Smash references Disney:
Now this might seem minor to a lot of people, but for us, this seems like a curious detail.
It's not that weird, people overlook this but Nintendo and Disney have collabed a lot in the past for games, you know because Disney as a company doesnt care about games so they arent as restrictive for that kind of content as they are with other business ventures.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I've brought this up a few times now across Smashboards.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
It would be hilarious if that leak is real but it's not for a character, it's for a mii costume, which sounds more realistic given past mii outfits lol
Doubt it. The leak says several music tracks. Going by past mii reveals, we'd be looking at a single track at best.

It's definitely been brought up in this thread before. It's just one of those facts forgotten to time. We actually have a lot of those too. Like how Nintendo and Disney collaborated back in 2018, but people had the nerve to claim they were on bad terms since Universal got the rights to use Nintendo's IP in their theme park.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to keep in mind is that naming games is not nearly the same as a straight cameo. It's still quite minor in terms of "non-game character content", and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

There's probably fees for Trademark stuff for naming it, if anything, so it's not like it's a big deal.

The Mickey Keychain, for instance, actually is more notable by virtue of being an image of Mickey's head, which also means it would obviously cost more to license. Stuff like Spirits or cameos in a Final Smash is clearly a bigger deal too. A Mii Costume is even bigger than that.

I'm not saying it isn't notable at all, but it's pretty small in the grand scheme of things. I do think they'd easily reference Disney if that's what the agreement comes to. My guess is we'd stop at Spirits since costumes are more than just an image alone. How the model moves is a big deal to the IP holders in many cases, so it'd actually just be more trouble than it's worth. This also applies to any Final Smash cameos.

---------------

As for that leak, if it wasn't known here already, the same user who posted the Oct 5th also posted another possible date. They made a good guess, no more, no less. So ironically them trying to do another leak destroyed their own decent evidence. Several music tracks would've been licensed for with the character a lot earlier than the leak told us, so there's no way it could've been real anyway. Mii Costumes I could believe coming with more than one song, but "several" pretty clearly is implying more than 2-3 at best(which I could legit see Disney agreeing to... but only under some special caveats. Like it costing more than regular costumes, or even a timed offer. You know, something Nintendo wouldn't make the deal of, so...). It's pretty much dead in the water cause they had poor details and pretty much admitted it was false later on by accident.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
As for that leak, if it wasn't known here already, the same user who posted the Oct 5th also posted another possible date. They made a good guess, no more, no less. So ironically them trying to do another leak destroyed their own decent evidence. Several music tracks would've been licensed for with the character a lot earlier than the leak told us, so there's no way it could've been real anyway. Mii Costumes I could believe coming with more than one song, but "several" pretty clearly is implying more than 2-3 at best(which I could legit see Disney agreeing to... but only under some special caveats. Like it costing more than regular costumes, or even a timed offer. You know, something Nintendo wouldn't make the deal of, so...). It's pretty much dead in the water cause they had poor details and pretty much admitted it was false later on by accident.
I've actually already seen this but I have to respectfully disagree here. For starters, anything that revolves around licensing is a tricky subject matter. Depending on how the contract was handled, we could easily be looking at a scenario where Nintendo had the rights to use Kingdom Hearts Music for the game, but not for the promotional material (like the Sakurai presents video). As a result, them asking for permission to use Kingdom Hearts music, specifically for the direct, makes a lot of sense. As for the September post, I'd argue against it. Not only is there an inconsistency in how this information is presented between the two posts, but there's also the fact that the September comment made their post after the Nintendo direct was announced, which is important to note if only for fact that it shows the second post was made without considering how it would affect t's own credibility. I can't look at that and believe those two posts were made by the same person. But that's my overall take on the subject. As far as I'm concerned, the September post is most likely a copy cat one, regardless of whether the July post is real or not.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've actually already seen this but I have to respectfully disagree here. For starters, anything that revolves around licensing is a tricky subject matter. Depending on how the contract was handled, we could easily be looking at a scenario where Nintendo had the rights to use Kingdom Hearts Music for the game, but not for the promotional material (like the Sakurai presents video). As a result, them asking for permission to use Kingdom Hearts music, specifically for the direct, makes a lot of sense. As for the September post, I'd argue against it. Not only is there an inconsistency in how this information is presented between the two posts, but there's also the fact that the September comment made their post after the Nintendo direct was announced, which is important to note if only for fact that it shows the second post was made without considering how it would affect t's own credibility. I can't look at that and believe those two posts were made by the same person. But that's my overall take on the subject. As far as I'm concerned, the September post is most likely a copy cat one, regardless of whether the July post is real or not.
You wouldn't believe how many people actually screw up by not paying attention. It's very often a user posts more content only to contradict themselves or basically screw up their data(release dates), right after a direct too. It's happened before. It's not a sign of a different person. it's a sign that someone didn't actually think it through, yet again. It's most likely the same person with how fake leaks actually are. That said, it's almost entirely likely to be fake either way.

The thing is? That's not how the contract would work. You have to remember that with companies, it's often they need to pay for a lot of specific content from them. That means they can and will always get a bundle. Sora and any tracks, a long with all the other Disney content, is going to be rather expensive. Bundles are far cheaper and the only logical way for them to do it. It's also a case where they'd have finished paying off all the DLC related licensing far before July. Otherwise they don't have a lot of time to work with the content beyond proof of burden. The actual July thing doesn't make any real sense.

Now, the only way it could be an actual real leak is if it's referring to songs that are only used in the Presentation, including the trailer, and the term several means it's going to be 3 or more(since it's a synonym for few in this context). That is believable enough. A song for Sora, a neat song to play while explaining KH, and some for the MIi costumes. Not also keep in mind that the Trailer songs are not licensed with the songs from the core games. It's done by a different company. The presentation was probably actually done recently enough for the leak to kind of fit in with this, so it's believable enough.

Negotiations actually can take a very very long time since people don't want to license things in multiple steps, as it's a massive waste of money. The final contract is drawn up before licensing would ever actually start. Multiple contracts can be made, but that doesn't mean any would be used bar the final one. There is cases of a renegotiation as possible, but it wouldn't be for music in itself. It's already paid for and part of the normal Challenger Pack. The only real plausible cause is Geno and Chocobo were meant for Hero, but once they figured Sephiroth would be in, made a new contract(likely free to change where the two costumes are, not paying extra fees for it since they're already done) to change them. This is an actual time when a new contract would be made. Not split up poorly cause of music tracks that are already part of the same core plan. Basically, there's never going to be a case where Spirits, the Fighter, their costume colors(if applicable), the Music, and the Stages(along with stage cameos) will be done at separate times. Mii Costumes are variable on its own. The trailers are outsourced and the presentation is shot separately and naturally require separate licensing due to being separate products from the game you're downloading it to. That's the only reasons they need their own licensing. Different products.

Top Bottom