• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Make a dumb joke
HUM ASHTUALLY
Guys, I've been defending Sora for the past 6 years on the newcomers threads and knows all the legal hurdle he's been through alongside knowing he was a gonner for FP1 as I knew about Hero coming up.
Pls.
:sadsheep:

In anycases, another question, what do you guys thinks will happens in the Disney + incoming KH series? It's apparently a KH1 retelling, I'm just curious on what they'll do for Tarzan's world and the FF cameo.
Will we get Cloud vs Sora in Glorious HD?
Do you expect someone more Kidlike or following the main tone of the game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In anycases, another question, what do you guys thinks will happens in the Disney + incoming KH series? It's apparently a KH1 retelling, I'm just curious on what they'll do for Tarzan's world and the FF cameo.
Nothing about it has been confirmed yet. That KH1 retelling thing is probably a rumor.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Here are my ideas for skins:

KH3 Sora (default)
KH2 Sora
Limit Form KH2 Sora
Anti Sora
Roxas (Org Coat)
Xion (Org Coat)
Roxas (Normal Clothes)
Xion (Normal Clothes)

For me, this would be the best case scenario for Sora’s alts.
Isn't Xion shorter than Sora and Roxas? So that would cause issues for them all playing the same.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
When you talk about the SE character owned by Disney and not the Disney character owned by Disney.

Like, aside from the context of who owns Sora and who would need to be approached to license him for anything, maybe we can chill when people compare Sora to other characters designed by SE.
Guys, I've been defending Sora for the past 6 years on the newcomers threads and knows all the legal hurdle he's been through alongside knowing he was a gonner for FP1 as I knew about Hero coming up.
Pls.

Whatever it is, it should be an adaptation of KH V Cast.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Isn't Xion shorter than Sora and Roxas? So that would cause issues for them all playing the same.
We've had the Koopalings resized to Bowser Jr.'s size, despite them having very different proportions in the Mario series. Similarly, we have a half-sized Enderman as an alt. for Steve and Alex. Resizing Xion to be Sora's size when they aren't that far apart in height to begin with really isn't going to be an issue.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Tarzan would probably end up like the manga version of Tarzan; non-existent. When it comes to the action, I wonder what direction that'll take. Once again using the manga as a frame of reference, the series action is down played when translated into other forms of media. They'll often treat it as a joke, skip it or just make a single shot of Sora in he middle of the action. I'm really hoping that doesn't end up happening.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Pls.

I'd expect the FF stuff to be there since Square is supposedly involved in producing the show. Tone should be fine too as there are plenty of kids shows with dark themes and moments, yet mostly devoid of fights. I agree with Double0Groove that the action is the most concerning aspect. Action focused shows for kids have kind of disappeared outside of anime, or at the very least there far fewer of them than there used to be.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm expecting something silly and slice-of-life mainly, but you never know. Disney+ has The Owl House, which is a mature-enough fantasy romp. The KH show could be fantastic if it ends up a bit like that.

Wings000

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7648-2024-2417
Pls.

Square Enix is involved so Final Fantasy will almost certainly stay.

I really hope it isn't a KH1 retelling, that game is just not very interesting anymore.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Square Enix is involved so Final Fantasy will almost certainly stay.

I really hope it isn't a KH1 retelling, that game is just not very interesting anymore.
I hear most normie gamers say that KH1 was their favorite Kingdom hearts story because it wasn't so convoluted.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Some new KH3 tech was discovered recently.

Combo storage is performed by switching keyblades during a finisher. Switch back to the same keyblade while pressing attack at the same time to perform the next finisher in the stored combo. This also works with magic finishers, but is much more difficult to do. It does not work with formchanges. This could be a useful way to get a bit of extra damage in certain scenarios. Magic finishers in particular are attractive because they inflict no RV (Water's shield being an exception) and provide i-frames.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made up some pros, cons, and iffy stuff related to Sora and Smash:
Pros
  • Disney actually shills out the Kingdom Hearts license to anyone willing to take it, with KH-related merch seeping out of every possible crevice in recent years for better or worse
  • Sora himself has plenty of original material that make a full Challenger Pack with no Disney presence
    • Original special attacks
    • Original characters for a Spirit Board
  • Kingdom Hearts is all about going to different worlds in general, so Sora would fit like a glove in Smash
  • 5 KH games came out on Nintendo consoles:
    • The original Chain of Memories (GBA)
    • 358/2 Days (DS)
    • Re:Coded (DS)
    • Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
    • Melody of Memory (Switch)
  • Sora has crossed over in other Square Enix and Disney games
    • World of Final Fantasy
    • Disney Emoji Blitz
    • Disney Tsum Tsum
    • Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
    • Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Iffy
  • Sora's Kingdom Key has a Mickey Mouse emblem on it; it can easily be replaced, but it's such a miniscule detail that it's hard to notice even in gameplay
  • Would Donald and Goofy, at the very least, be Spirits? Or will they not appear at all? The KH versions are wildly different from how everyone knows them in their normal portrayals; so wildly that one could technically see them as KH original characters
  • Would Sora's Smash appearance somehow be canon to the KH storyline? Nomura is known for making everything canon in KH, but the crossover appearances he has made weren't canon at all
Cons
  • Sora is a wildly divisive character; both within and outside the KH fanbase
  • Sora was a limited-time DLC in WoFF, and then removed after the chance to get him passed by
    • Furthermore, he makes no appearance in WoFF Maxima whatsoever
  • Being owned by Disney, he's...bound to be slammed by arguments against him that mention controversial things Disney has done despite most of it being completely irrelevant to Kingdom Hearts, let alone Sora
  • Possible backlash would flow in about a Disney crossover character featuring none of Disney's characters with him
  • Haley Joel Osment, Sora's English voice actor, is a high-profile celebrity. So Nintendo of America may not want to pay royalties for him.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Trueblade Seeker threw together a guide for how keyblade switching combos work. There are some quirks with how certain setups and formchanges interact, but he said he'll go into those later.

He also made a video.

Currently these guides do not factor in item cancelling.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I made up some pros, cons, and iffy stuff related to Sora and Smash
Just for the sake of argument, I'll just argue against the pros and cons you mentioned that I don't see as actual pros or cons.

• Would Donald and Goofy, at the very least, be Spirits? Or will they not appear at all? The KH versions are wildly different from how everyone knows them in their normal portrayals; so wildly that one could technically see them as KH original characters
This is less of an "iffy" situation and more of a non factor. People only bring this up over some vague sense of attachment but it's not something that we shouldn't keep in mind after what happened with Mai.

• Would Sora's Smash appearance somehow be canon to the KH storyline? Nomura is known for making everything canon in KH, but the crossover appearances he has made weren't canon at all
Even if we took this seriously as an argument, this is more of Nomura's problem then it is Sakurai's or Nintendo's. All in all, anything we'd see in relation to a canon plot line would begin and end with the trailer.

• Sora is a wildly divisive character; both within and outside the KH fanbase
  • Being owned by Disney, he's...bound to be slammed by arguments against him that mention controversial things Disney has done despite most of it being completely irrelevant to Kingdom Hearts, let alone Sora
Non-relevant factors towards discussions. Any talks in relation wouldn't bring any of this up. To further drive this home, we've had a few characters with similar arguments against them included in Ultimate with very little fuss, so there's that.

• Possible backlash would flow in about a Disney crossover character featuring none of Disney's characters with him
Sora's a Disney character.

• Haley Joel Osment, Sora's English voice actor, is a high-profile celebrity. So Nintendo of America may not want to pay royalties for him.
From what I've heard, Hayley works with smaller indie projects and "low budget" TV shows all the time. I don't really think he'd be that stingy, but assuming the worst of him, they'd probably do with Sora what they did with Sephiroth and just have the Japanese voice actor play the role exclusively.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts series. The only games I've actually beaten are the mainline games and Birth by Sleep but I've played a bit of Chain of Memories and 358/2 days. Personally, I would love to get any of the other characters in the series like Ansem, Xemnas, Axel, Aqua, and others but Sora definitely makes the most sense. Even though I never really cared much for Sora himself as a character, I would still enjoy getting him in Smash just for the awesome stage and music he could come with.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Anyone have a good gimmick idea for Sora? It's really hard to choose given the amount of mechanics the series has.
I'm still holding out for the Keyblade swaps and transformations. Him having 3 different Keyblades which are all the same in length and damage, but each one has its own transformation. It'd work exactly like KH3. Keyblades I have in mind would be Kingdom Key, Shooting star and Oathkeeper/Oblivion. This set up is for variety's sake aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if Roxas does become a separate costume, I'd very much like him to Dual wield. That'd be the best way to implement that.

I'm a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts series. The only games I've actually beaten are the mainline games and Birth by Sleep but I've played a bit of Chain of Memories and 358/2 days. Personally, I would love to get any of the other characters in the series like Ansem, Xemnas, Axel, Aqua, and others but Sora definitely makes the most sense. Even though I never really cared much for Sora himself as a character, I would still enjoy getting him in Smash just for the awesome stage and music he could come with.
Hey, it's cool. Personally when it comes to gameplay potential I wouldn't want any of the other WoL (with the exception of Ven, Roxas, or Xion) considering that they're less exciting to play overall. But the bosses could end up being really fun if they were ever made playable. Xemnas especially.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I doubt I'm the only one who would want this, but formchange. Give me 2nd Form, or if they wanted to go really crazy Double Form.
See, I thought Keyblade transformations wouldn't work under the "No Transformation Final Smashes" MO Ultimate has, even if it's apart of his normal moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
See, I thought Keyblade transformations wouldn't work under the "No Transformation Final Smashes" MO Ultimate has, even if it's apart of his normal moveset.
well no, not only cause of the reason you cite there but also cause if it did disclude things like that we probably would have PT

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I was thinking of something more reserved than what final smash transformations offered, which is why 2nd Form is the most logical choice. 2nd Form is Kingdom Key's formchange so it preserves Sora's most well known weapon, and on top of that 2nd Form also has the vast majority of Sora's most iconic attacks. Replace base Sora's smashes with Explosion, Ripple Drive, and Guard Break, and most of the animation work is done. Aside from a higher damage output every thing else would stay the same.

Earning 2nd Form could work just like KH3. The player fills the situation gauge by hitting enemies, but it also drains over time requiring them maintain momentum to build a form. Once acquired 2nd Form would be accessible for a limited amount of time before disappearing. 2nd Form itself would probably last anywhere from 15-30 seconds.

I don't see this as more excessive than what Joker already does with Arsene, and unlike Arsene, 2nd Form would not be guaranteed. The hardest part is getting 2nd Form's limit mechanic to be balanced since having Stun Impact for free might be excessive, and filling the situation gauge multiple times for higher tier limits might be unreasonable. I would probably just change it so the only limit Sora has in 2nd Form is Ars Arcanum, but the situation gauge would have to be filled once more before it is usable. Using Ars Arcanum would end the formchange immediately.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm still holding out for the Keyblade swaps and transformations. Him having 3 different Keyblades which are all the same in length and damage, but each one has its own transformation. It'd work exactly like KH3. Keyblades I have in mind would be Kingdom Key, Shooting star and Oathkeeper/Oblivion. This set up is for variety's sake aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if Roxas does become a separate costume, I'd very much like him to Dual wield. That'd be the best way to implement that.

Hey, it's cool. Personally when it comes to gameplay potential I wouldn't want any of the other WoL (with the exception of Ven, Roxas, or Xion) considering that they're less exciting to play overall. But the bosses could end up being really fun if they were ever made playable. Xemnas especially.
That is a good point. Sora does have the most moveset potential in the series. Xemnas and Ansem are my favorites but Sora would still be really fun.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i assume you mean seeker of darkness rather than the wise
Yes. I’m referring to the final boss of the first game. This game can get kind of confusing with so many versions of the same characters lol. I would love to see either Ansem (Seeker of Darkness) or Xemnas get in as a second character if Sora ever makes it in.

Anyways, here's a moveset I came up with for Xemnas way back in my Brawl modding days.

Xemnas.png

Weak Attacks:
A Combo
Two to three strikes with his laser swords, followed by a continuous flow of laser beams for as long as you keep mashing A. They will function basically the same as Fox's lasers, in that they only deal 1-2% and do not flinch.

Forward Tilt
Similar to Wolf's forward tilt, just with his two laser beam swords.

Up Tilt
Falco has a nice looking one. Again, just add his laser swords.

Down Tilt
A clone of Xemnas shoots out of him, performing Mario's running attack animation.

Running A
Very similar to Sheik's running attack just using his laser swords.

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash
Xemnas travels forward with a backwards somersault, attacking with his laser swords. Could use anyone's back-jumping animation for the somersault (or Metaknifgt's Aerial Neutral A, if his animations are usable).

Up Smash
Xemnas holds a blue energy sphere above his head that looks kinda like Lucario's Aura Sphere. The longer you charge it, the larger the sphere gets, and the longer it lasts. When fully charged, it could encompass his entire body. When it is fully charged it also slightly pulls the opponent into it. A good animation for this could be what Sheik does as she charges for her Up Smash.

Down Smash
Xemnas does a double spin-kick thing, kind of a cross between Sheik's and Samus' Down Smashes (maybe have the animation for Sheik's lead into that of Samus') with white slashes around him.

Specials:
Neutral B
Very similar to Pit's Arrow attack, but shoots out black and white lightning bolts that he can aim and control in the same way as Pit. Opponent's hit with this are stunned like with ZSS's laser beam, but for a shorter amount of time. The lightning remains on screen for a second or two even after it hits (it doesn't cause any damage after a certain period of time, so this is purely cosmetic).

Forward B
Xemnas dashes in a direction leaving behind a trail of small red laser beams, which after a second, fire in the direction of the opponent. This would control exactly like Lucario's Up B, meaning you can change direction mid-flight.

Up B
Pretty much exactly Link's Up B where Xemnas does a spinning attack, but he attacks with his two laser swords instead of just one sword. When on the ground, it could behave similarly to Luigi's Down B, allowing him to travel in different directions, but it could still have a charge up like with Link's attack.
In the air:

On the ground:

Down B
Xemnas creates a wall in front of him. It is capable of reflecting projectiles and bouncing the opponent backwards (like a weaker bumper). This remains in the same place for about two seconds before it dissapears. While it is up, Xemnas can still move around and perform attacks. For balancing issues, maybe only one or two of these should be able to be put up at a time.

Grabs:
Grab
Xemnas grabs his opponent with energy. This should be a ranged grab like Samus', but after he grabs the opponent they will stay at that same distance, meaning he won't pull the opponent toward him.

also includes his pummel

Pummel
Xemnas electrocutes his enemy, draining the opponent's health. You gain 1% health each pummel.

Forward Throw
Zelda's Forward Throw could work fine.

Back Throw
Fox's Back Throw works really well for this I think. Xemnas can Throw the opponent backwards, and then shoot some of his lasers at them.

Up Throw
Xemnas spins his opponent around and throws him opponent upwards. Ness' Up Throw, basically, maybe using Mario's Back Throw animation.

Down Throw
Xemnas can throw his opponent into the ground and then shoot one of his laser beams at him. Basically Falco's Down Throw.

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Metaknight's Aerial Neutral A could work. If it's possible to use his very same animation, that would work too.

Forward A
Link's Aerial Forward A should suffice.

Back A
Link's Aerial Back A could also suffice.

Up A
Basically the same as Zelda's aerial Up A, only instead of the fire/explosion, it would be a black/white sphere thing with that lightning stuff coming out of it. Since this lightning goes all over the place, it could either be purely cosmetic, or do extremely minimal damage. The main damaging area of this attack would be the sphere part anyways.

Down A
Xemnas fires a few laser beams downward at an angle maybe halfway between directly down and where Sheik throws her needles. This might behave similarly to Lucario's Aerial Down A, where he pauses in the air for a bit. It could use Sheik's aerial needle-throwing animation. Is it possible for an aerial move to be aimed? Because it would also be nice to be able to aim this attack in any direction ranging from straight down to 45 degrees.

Final Smash:
Xemnas clasps his hands with blue energy then creates a field of small red lasers that home in on the opponent. It would play similar to Pit's final smash, but there would be a lot more beams than angels and they would be weaker.

Special Traits / Other:

His running animation could be like Metaknight's, where he kind of flies forward, rather than runs.

For his roll, he can encompass himself in a black energy sphere, and move similar to Mewtwo's.

For his air dodge, a teleportation thing could be cool, like Mewtwo's.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
KH3 modding has come a long way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
not really
Do you seriously have to argue with me in every thread? I'm just giving my opinion that I have a hard time following certain things in KH. Maybe it's because I've barely played any of the spinoff games so a lot of the games don't make much sense.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Do you seriously have to argue with me in every thread? I'm just giving my opinion that I have a hard time following certain things in KH. Maybe it's because I've barely played any of the spinoff games so a lot of the games don't make much sense.
ah well theres your problem, if you only play half the games of course youre not gonna follow whats going on

Gengar84

Smash Hero
ah well theres your problem, if you only play half the games of course youre not gonna follow whats going on
Yeah, I even stated in my first post, the only games I've beaten in the series are the three mainline games and Birth by Sleep. Even then, I only beat two paths in BBS. I've played 358/2 Days and Chain of Memories but never beat either game. I totally admit that it is partially due to my lack of experience with the series, but to be fair, I was already starting to get a little confused even in Kingdom Hearts 2 about what was going on. I was pretty much totally lost in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I even stated in my first post, the only games I've beaten in the series are the three mainline games and Birth by Sleep. Even then, I only beat two paths in BBS. I've played 358/2 Days and Chain of Memories but never beat either game. I totally admit that it is partially due to my lack of experience with the series, but to be fair, I was already starting to get a little confused even in Kingdom Hearts 2 about what was going on. I was pretty much totally lost in Kingdom Hearts 3.
that’s the trouble with the KH series unless you follow everything it’s gonna be hard to follow, I’d recommend looking up cut scenes from the other games

Top Bottom