• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's customized special attacks

infomon

Smash Scientist
Each character gets 3 choices for each of their Special attacks:
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Seems like a huuuuge open question-mark for Sonic. His Specials are so wonky... what will the customizations be??

Neutral-B: Homing Attack
Side-B: Spin-dash "hop"
Down-B: Spin-dash "charge"
Up-B: Spring

What sorts of customizations even make sense for these??

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
HA: faster, weaker version; slower, better homing properties version.
SD: old trajectory version; unchargeable, stronger and slower version.
SC: weaker, hits while charging version; stronger, hold button to charge version.
Spring: sends higher, no projectile properties version; sends lower, spike effect when used in midair version.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Oh god.... The discussions for Brawl Sonic were already too much for most people to handle... My head is spinning just at the thought of the different combinations.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
We can just stick with HAA, HAB, HAC, SDA, SDB.. etc, as they don't seem to conflict with any other we already have.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ohhhhh and just wait.

We'll find out that HAC is cancellable. So that's HACC.

But you can also B-reverse specials, so that gives us a BRHACC.

We've seen that SD (not SC, i.e. side-B not down-B) can VSDJ either before or after the hop, but maybe that's only in SDA.

So when you're edge-guarding WFT on BF at low-percents, you can perfect-combo SDA>SDA2VSDJ>BRHACC>ASCB(2x).

I call it the Orochi Combo, or OC for short. Our acronym problem is solved!

:054:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
We should just write the word "spin" differently for each attack so we really confuse people. Not spelling changes, just font changes and such. Yeah... that'll show 'em..

infomon

Smash Scientist
I really think moveset-customization is going to be a fantastic part of the smash4 metagame.

Like, we'll basically all have unique fighters that we've cooked up in our own little labs specifically tailored to our individual fighting styles. I love it!!!!!

Granted, they will probably converge competitively when we figure out which moves are just better than others. But still the diversity is fantastic.

infomon

Smash Scientist
We should just write the word "spin" differently for each attack so we really confuse people. Not spelling changes, just font changes and such. Yeah... that'll show 'em..
That wasn't a spindash, it was a spindash and then he spundash.

Spinshot
Spynshot
Spanshot
Spunshot

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This crossed my mind today too and I got a headache. I generally find customization to be unwarranted and convoluted for games such as this, but **** it gotta sell copies to the kids so we'll see if it merits the time of day in competitive play. Sounds like a pain in the ass and more memorization and confusion but I'm a geezer Brawl Sonic pessimistic who needs to get with the times am I right gotta go fast Super Sonic Speed!

Also I'm all about the acronym metagame. I want to sp1nshoot into SDA2VSDJ until I can't BRHACC no more.

:093:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Please don't do this. Sonic already has enough technique acronyms I don't care to remember, let alone learn new ones that may or may not exist.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Please don't do this. Sonic already has enough technique acronyms I don't care to remember, let alone learn new ones that may or may not exist.
Well, we're clearly joking about the fake tech, but I think a lot of these terms are essential to truly expressing the understanding of this character. It's not for the faint of heart, but then again, neither is Sonic.
So I overslept. No demo for me guys. lol. :applejack:
Sleepy Rose.

I got to play today and man, each time I get to play it, I already understand it a little more and get more pumped.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is the S4nic board just becoming the everyone who used to visit Sonic boards cameo playground?

I missed all you ****ers.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
All that's missing is that chat website. I don't even remember what it was called . That **** was so convenient for group critiquing and breaking down matches. Though it was used to watch speed runs of random games most of the time..

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The site was Xat. Specifically I think ours was called BlueSteak.
The majority of my memories there were of us typing in caps and watching things like Judge Judy or How to Catch a Predator.

But to stay on topic, I think we should give something the acronym of JUDGE or JUDY or both.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
OH I'M IN THERE. OLD ACCOUNT AND ALL. OH ON TOPIC UM SONIC SPINS IN ALL OF HIS SPECIAL MOVES GUYS. OH EXCEPT UP B. SPRINGS AND STUFF.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd be surprised if the Xat caught on again, but I joined regardless.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
So many good memories of the xat chat :3

Although back on topic heres some of my ideas for custom specials he could have.

spiral spring- sonic spins as he launches off the spring inflicting damage but it doesn't travel as high

angled spring: sends him up at an angle

reverse homing attack: the homing attack arcs under to home in instead of arcing over

super homing attack: move takes awhile to charge up but he has armor properties

long spin dash: the hop goes much farther than it does normally

spin dash wave: he sends out a shockwave similar to the one in sonic battle when he begins the charge

instant spin charge: the move instantly activates and releases when you hit the button

super speed spin charge: it travels much faster but the time your spent in the move is considerably shorter making it similar to the spacies illusions in terms of distance it travels.

D

Deleted Member

Alternative special moves should be very helpful for Sonic considering how similar his side and down specials are atm.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Customizable movesets is a great excuse to include Lost Word's kick. Much slower than the homing attack but with way higher knockback.

Kind of disappointed they didn't just remove his side B and make it a customization option for his down B instead though

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Although it seems unlikely, since the alternate moves are similar in presentation/technique to the original, but my ideal custom attacks would be something like:

Up-Special:
1: Tails. Tails appears and grabs Sonic, airlifting him upwards. This would be a terrific recovery, but has little to no damage.
2: Yellow Spring. The yellow spring wouldn't send Sonic too high, but the spring would act as a meteor smash if it falls on someone.

Neutral:
1. Kick. (Lost World.) Good speed and knock-back, but not very powerful.
2. Bubble bounce. A move from Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure, Sonic would bounce up and down and repeat as much as the player desired. A bit on the slow side, but very powerful. Limited knock-back.

Down-Special:
1. Figure-8 Peel-out. First seen in Sonic Triple Trouble. Very fast, but not very strong. Can be charged.
2. Spiny spin-dash. Slower, but more powerful. Has the appearance of spines when he curls into a ball.

Side-Special:
1. Boost. Similar to Fox's. (I'm sure we've all thought of this at one point or another.) Fast, but not powerful.
2. Flame shield. Again, from Sonic 3, Sonic moves in a horizontal direction, engulfed in a fire casing. Powerful. Burns opponents.

:4sonic:

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Up-Special:
1: Tails. Tails appears and grabs Sonic, airlifting him upwards. This would be a terrific recovery, but has little to no damage.
2: Yellow Spring. The yellow spring wouldn't send Sonic too high, but the spring would act as a meteor smash if it falls on someone.
With today's MegaMan customizable picture, it gives me new hope that Tails could make an appearance as I had originally proposed/hoped!

(If this happens I will scream like Flanders did when he realized his new house had purple drapes!:awesome: )

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, that's a very excellent point!!

But where the heck would Tails come from? He just appears??

(same problem with the bird.... so I guesss... yeah!!)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Wow, that's a very excellent point!!

But where the heck would Tails come from? He just appears??

(same problem with the bird.... so I guesss... yeah!!)

Boxes and other items appear out of nowhere, so why not Tails?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
well the only issue is that in brawl he appears on Green Hill Zone alongside Knuckles and Silver, i would seem rather odd to change that simply because he appears out of thin air to lift sonic up.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
well the only issue is that in brawl he appears on Green Hill Zone alongside Knuckles and Silver, i would seem rather odd to change that simply because he appears out of thin air to lift sonic up.
They could just replace him with Alfonzo whenever Sonic with that specific customization joins the battle. :troll:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
That wouldn't be too hard to just edit Tails out of the stage, especially since in melee, Big Blue had Blue Falcon as one of the cars but in brawl they changed it 'cause Blue Falcon was :falcon:'s final smash. They've done it before.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
That wouldn't be too hard to just edit Tails out of the stage, especially since in melee, Big Blue had Blue Falcon as one of the cars but in brawl they changed it 'cause Blue Falcon was :falcon:'s final smash. They've done it before.
I was unaware of this thanks for the info.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I like the idea of Tails being one of Sonic's custom Up B. How about the Hover Wisp as his third one?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
No guarantee that Tails will appear on Windy Hill, but it's a minor aesthetic anyway. He'd be a great up-special.

And yeah, I think there's great potential for a Wisp moveset... although it sounds like Palutena and Miis are the only characters getting vastly different customised moves.

Top Bottom