• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic VS. ???

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Alright, i just wanted to get people's opinions on who you think Sonic is best against, and weakest against. I personally think characters like Snake, King Dedede, and Bowser don't stand a chance against him, whereas characters like Marth, Falco, and Link can be pretty challenging. I just want to hear some other people's input.

vip0911

Smash Cadet
Some characters I have trouble with when using sonic are Wolf, Pikachu, Metaknight, and Pit. Metaknight is probably the worst of all for me because of the priority issues. I have a pretty easy time against some of the larger and slower characters like DDD and Ike.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
aw yeah, wolf gives me a hard time too. Metaknight can be a pain but I've never played against someone whos good with him, so i've never really had a chance to see his full potential.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
my hardest matchup is definately wario... idk if you guys know any good warios... they are tuff.

wolf is countered by staying in the skies to avoid lasers...

mk is primarily countered by fsmash.... fsmash can take mk out of tornado... and can counter his gliding slash attack. and it also can kill him.

big slow characters.... have nothing on sonic. (SD and SC combos tear them to peices)

pika... good idea to sheild a lot, and try to gimp and take advantage of his delay on recovery, always watchout for dsmash... and dont go near him if a down b is coming.

snake... ****s everyone up... so thats not really a sonic thing... just snake in general is really good.. i would say.... lure him into using an attack and then punish... because his attacks that come out fast often have post delay... and of course, stay in his grill if you can... a camping snake is no fun for any1.

diddy kong can be a tuff matchup somtimes..

pit u gotta watchout for his forward and down smash..., try and gimp his up-b....
to get by his arrows, use Side-B, Down-b, ASC, or spin shot. stay in his grill, use fair and bair often. charging fsmash and dsmash when you know he is coming is a good idea. pit has a hard time approaching a lot..

vip0911

Smash Cadet
I have been hearing that Wario is a hard matchup for Sonic quite a bit, but I haven't played against one yet. Would anyone care to enlighten me on why he is so hard for Sonic?

Edit: Oh and thanks for the tips R4ze!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I don't think Wario is a plumber...

Anyway. I haven't faced a GOOD Wario. Can bite catch you when you are behind them?

It seems the release lag is enough time to Shorthop Bair them from the back.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
yeah... the wario that i fight doesent even abuse bite, and he still beats me all the time.
but the one time that he did use bite, basicly the only counter that i found was to wait for the end window to punsh... but bite can beat out a lot of sonics attacks, and makes wario really hard to approach.
(but to be honest, vs bite.. i don't have enough experience to say... and I'm sure there are counters for it, but i didnt fight it long enough to discover them)

There are a lot of little things that make wario hard to fight... for example, wario's aerial approach is really hard to counter... its like that jiggly-esque jump forward, aerial, pull back out of range... repeat
there isnt much of a punish window on it, and he can keep doing it over and over.

warios Uair can actually beat out sonic's dair(which is a huge deal imo), and warios fsmash can come out of nowhere, and it has SA, and wario has a lot of moves that have killing potential... wario's main drawback i think is that some of his moves are punishable afterwards, and he has short range... but sonic suffers form the range thing, and has a harder time killing.. and sonic... has a lot of attacks that cause him post delay as well...

Its just hard, Wario's Fsmash makes him better than sonic at extreme close range, so you have to space him just right and time a fmash, or tilt him away... and in the air wario is a beast, so if he sees your attacks coming its really hard to beat him.

but at the same time... airials are the best way to fight wario... because sonic cant really approch him any other way.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well Sonic's roll is pretty fast right? What about dashing to his face and rolling right behind him? It can open for a grab or something. Especially if he's biting or SHfairing. I don't know any Wario's so I can't test this stuff.

I kind of tend to forget that Wario is in the game. XD

R4ZE

Smash Ace
It's not a broken matchup or anything.... it's just like wolf tho... I just need to find out how to beat it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wow, getting some good responses here! (glad I started this thread) but Wario huh? I never considered him. It's funny that you guys mention him though cuz now to think of it, I could see why wario could beast sonic. Surprised nobody really mentioned marth though because he has such a long range sword and he's just so fast that I usually get owned by him. Snake? Really guys? I've fought some kids who are really good with snake, and I own. What i do is right when the match starts, i just run to his face and pulverize him with moves before he gets a chance to attack, then i throw him off the side and keep knocking him out of his UpB

Tenki

Smash Hero
^
Either you're really good at keeping up pressure or your Snake opponents never shoot stun beams from his knee.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I do keep good pressure, but what do you mean by "shoot stun beams from his knee"?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hah, sorry Tenki, but I have to agree with Terios when it comes to Sonic v. Snake

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I've played some pretty good Snakes in Alberta here. ANd I feel that if Sonic's not on equal ground with him, then he's BETTER than him.

If you let Snake control the stage, you're screwed. But Sonic's so fast that he can take it back SO quickly and keep the pressure on. Staying close is where Sonic wins. And he's the only one who can really reach and intercept Snake's recovery from so high up.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I agree spin-dash

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think his n-air (or some other aerial) has a stupid hitbox that shuts down most of Sonic's aerial attacks.

It's been a while since I fought a good Pit though.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
meh... main thing to watch out for against pit would be his down and forward smashes... because they kill sonic low.

marth... hmmm i dont remember exactly... none of my friends *main* him... but i remember having problems against him a long time ago.... then again i remember 3 stocking a marht more recently...

so I assume that springs, ASC's..

his smashes and fair's are easy to avoid, his counter isnt usually fast enuff to take sonic out of spins... he can fmash a grounded spin dash tho... so u have to time it between his attacks where is he isnt doing anything. (which isnt hard to do)

and use bairs and farward airs on him after he has executed up b.
(well thats just what i would do anyway)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeh Pits a noob...I cant stand his forwardB...or as i call it, the "HI-YAHYAHYAH-YAAH!" his swords just keep spinning and it stops me in my tracks! But i still own him anyway

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been using sonic lately against my friend's zelda. How bad is that matchup eh?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
with those wings, pit takes his up air **** like no other,

also, my roomate pissed me the hell off constantly, when i would try to approach and as soon as he saw me coming, he already knew a luigi neutral air would cancel out anything i could do. although that wasnt long after the game came out so i dont know how it would fair now, but regardless, luigi is still i difficult matchup no matter how you want to slice it

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
I've been using sonic lately against my friend's zelda. How bad is that matchup eh?
Zelda?
My only advice is watch out for the usmash and dins fire,
Just run past the fire and shield cancel your dash until her (possibly attempted) usmash ENDS

I myself have trouble against pikachu, ROB, and zamus
Any suggestions?

Luigi is a pretty difficult fight, I just stick to the ground whenever I fight one, not many good Weegee's in OK

Tenki

Smash Hero
Zelda?
My only advice is watch out for the usmash and dins fire,
Just run past the fire and shield cancel your dash until her (possibly attempted) usmash ENDS

I myself have trouble against pikachu, ROB, and zamus
Any suggestions?

Luigi is a pretty difficult fight, I just stick to the ground whenever I fight one, not many good Weegee's in OK
Pikachu- you can tilt or smash him if he misses a dsmash. Just be careful not to do it at the beginning or middle of the smash, since any contact with electricity will stop you. You can bait thunders by using springs, just don't be wreckless and forget to airdodge, since thunder + high height = death.

ROB- Get under him if you're over ground, but avoid that if you're off-stage. You can glide toss gyros :3

iono, alot of this stuff should be in the matchup thread lol.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
iono, alot of this stuff should be in the matchup thread lol.
Thanks, as for the matchup thread, :p let's just allow this one to become like a parasite and eventually grow large enough to completely overtake it

Top Bottom