• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Simple Questions Thread

J18

Smash Journeyman
Oh oh I have a question.
Is there a reason that this thread exists?
...wait...I think my question answered my question...
*brain explodes*

Tenki

Smash Hero
jw, since you guys are all familiar with Sonic's moves/strategies, etc

when you play against Sonic, do his feints and cancels have any effect at all?

I noticed that I tend to not use cancels and fakeouts in Sonic dittos, and I'm wondering if there's any point to it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think a lot of "fake outs" and "cancels" are absolutely idiotic and pointless. Although, since a lot of them do not directly result in getting punished plenty of people do them anyways just for the hell of it.

Like, it's hard to imagine a negative outcome from shield canceling your side-b, but I really don't see much of a point to it.

A fake out with down-b is also a popular thing amongst some Sonic mains and I've never seen it help anything.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol
Well, careless cancelling doesn't do much for mindgames, like spamming SH ASC cancels as seen in Ophelia's 'return to Sonic' video vs the cpu Falco. At the most, all I can think of is "uhh.. when is he finally going to attack? OH here he comes now. lemme shield it"

I mean, for example, sometimes, I'll run full dash at a Pikachu then do a sudden momentum cancel with side-B. They tend to D-smash, shield, spotdodge, or roll- all timed assuming that I'll actually go through them.

Also, after doing some instant-cancelled side-B's, I noticed that I tend to do a charged down-B for an actual attack afterwards, so I'd mix it up sometimes with a 1-second-charged side-B cancel into a dash or something. I mean for SH-aerial fighters, it could get them to start their jump early and get them off-rhythm.

The predictable ASC cancel in and of itself usually baits a shieldgrab, does it not?

So... baiting reflexive or defensive moves: does it tend to work against Sonic mainers?

Top Bottom