• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
IMO, Sonic/Shadow levels were amazing, robot walker levels were good fun (mostly because I liked playing as Eggman), and the treasure hunting levels sucked. Especially the space ones. shudder

Furret24

Smash Master
I've only played Sonic Adventure. Actually, i'm currently playing through it right now (i'm on Big's story at the moment, with only Gamma left).

I enjoyed Sonic's levels (when they weren't *********ing me), along with Tails' and Knuckles' levels. I wish the Actual Levels:Cutscene/Stupid Hub World ration didn't get so skewed after Sonic's story though.

I didn't like Amy's story much. Her core gameplay was ridiculously easy and slow, and her cutscenes went on forever (For the hour it took me to beat her story, only about 20 minutes of those was me actually playing her three levels). Not to mention how there was a pantyshot for doing basically any action (and by that, I quite literally mean everything except walking)...

I'm also really hating Big's story. It takes me forever to actually find Froggy in those levels and when I do, it takes forever for him to take the bait, then, it takes forever to actually reel him in. It took me 16 minutes to beat his first level, the another 30 to beat his second level.

Oh, and glitches galore. While they were mainly funny, harmless graphical glitches, I did encounter a few that led to my death a few times, mainly as Sonic.

Overall, I think it's an alright game (I prefer Sonic Lost World though).

I hope to play Sonic Adventure 2 sometime as well.

:162:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I've only played Sonic Adventure. Actually, i'm currently playing through it right now (i'm on Big's story at the moment, with only Gamma left).

I enjoyed Sonic's levels (when they weren't *********ing me), along with Tails' and Knuckles' levels. I wish the Actual Levels:Cutscene/Stupid Hub World ration didn't get so skewed after Sonic's story though.

I didn't like Amy's story much. Her core gameplay was ridiculously easy and slow, and her cutscenes went on forever (For the hour it took me to beat her story, only about 20 minutes of those was me actually playing her three levels). Not to mention how there was a pantyshot for doing basically any action (and by that, I quite literally mean everything except walking)...

I'm also really hating Big's story. It takes me forever to actually find Froggy in those levels and when I do, it takes forever for him to take the bait, then, it takes forever to actually reel him in. It took me 16 minutes to beat his first level, the another 30 to beat his second level.

Oh, and glitches galore. While they were mainly funny, harmless graphical glitches, I did encounter a few that led to my death a few times, mainly as Sonic.

Overall, I think it's an alright game (I prefer Sonic Lost World though).

I hope to play Sonic Adventure 2 sometime as well.

:162:
For Big, in order to hook him, you need to press :GCD: when the hook is in his mouth (I just mash the direction). One would think the Red Orb should tell you, but no, it's a random NPC who tells this oh so valuable piece of information.

Apart from that, I like how surprisingly large and complex his levels are when Froggy is normally just in front of you the whole time.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Alright

So I just went to my first tournament here at the university.

Got to see some incredible faces like Kai (Both #1 Sonic and player in NC) and Dandy Penguin (3rd best in the state, mains DUCK HUNT!?), and I had to go against the latter in my second singles match.

I got destroyed straight into losers, and lost the first match there.

Here's the thing though; I got to where I was in the first place using my Kirby and lost because of my Sonic. (Okay not exactly; had to switch to Sonic for the matchup and lost)

I've been told that my Kirby's better than my Sonic, and I call Sonic my main (No I'm not saying "HOW CAN THIS BE?!?") , and today confirmed that given the reactions people had to my Kirby, and the eons better Sonic players around me that weren't the best in the state.

I've known about the skill discrepancy between my Kirby and Sonic for a while now but after going to this, I think I'm getting closer to confidently pinpointing the most important issue with my main: I'm scared

Any time I play with someone as Sonic who doesn't succumb to my essentially basic mindgames (aka: someone who's not a scrub), I'll be the first one to crack and start unleashing either predictable strats or throwing attacks in a desperate attempt to win neutral (I can confidently say that I'm more respectable than SD'ing every .02 seconds as a strat). My capacity for quick thinking goes out of the window and regardless of how aware I think I am of my options, it won't come to me until the half-second after I whiff or get punished. On top of that, I make a crapton more mistakes with my inputs as Sonic than any other character I play, mainly when I'm in this type of situation.

I need more confidence and more awareness, because even though I study outside of battle, I'm not doing a good job when I'm actually in it.

Does anyone have any input for this situation, and if I'm going about it correctly?

inb4 "git gud"

dayo

Smash Rookie
I've been told that my Kirby's better than my Sonic, and I call Sonic my main (No I'm not saying "HOW CAN THIS BE?!?") , and today confirmed that given the reactions people had to my Kirby, and the eons better Sonic players around me that weren't the best in the state.

I've known about the skill discrepancy between my Kirby and Sonic for a while now but after going to this, I think I'm getting closer to confidently pinpointing the most important issue with my main: I'm scared

Any time I play with someone as Sonic who doesn't succumb to my essentially basic mindgames (aka: someone who's not a scrub), I'll be the first one to crack and start unleashing either predictable strats or throwing attacks in a desperate attempt to win neutral (I can confidently say that I'm more respectable than SD'ing every .02 seconds as a strat). My capacity for quick thinking goes out of the window and regardless of how aware I think I am of my options, it won't come to me until the half-second after I whiff or get punished. On top of that, I make a crapton more mistakes with my inputs as Sonic than any other character I play, mainly when I'm in this type of situation.
i'm similar with cloud, he's my secondary and i feel like i have better results with him. i feel like it's just that cloud is easier to play. this may be the case with you and kirby as well. i haven't gotten out of the mindset yet, but i've been trying by going into for glory and just focusing on baiting and punishing, as that's what sonic is best at. occasionally i'll get tunnel vision like you and try to go too hard and end up getting wrecked. its a process. good luck out there!

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Alright

So I just went to my first tournament here at the university.

Got to see some incredible faces like Kai (Both #1 Sonic and player in NC) and Dandy Penguin (3rd best in the state, mains DUCK HUNT!?), and I had to go against the latter in my second singles match.

I got destroyed straight into losers, and lost the first match there.

Here's the thing though; I got to where I was in the first place using my Kirby and lost because of my Sonic. (Okay not exactly; had to switch to Sonic for the matchup and lost)

I need more confidence and more awareness, because even though I study outside of battle, I'm not doing a good job when I'm actually in it.

Does anyone have any input for this situation, and if I'm going about it correctly?

inb4 "git gud"
Oh, it's not that bad; it's just simple tournament nerves. I had them at first when I play at Anther's Ladder tourneys. There are tons of videos on how to get over them. I say this because I can't really teach anyone how to get over them myself aside from maybe they go away over time. I guess I can also say get a sparring partner and visualize yourself at a tournament setting.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Oh, it's not that bad; it's just simple tournament nerves. I had them at first when I play at Anther's Ladder tourneys. There are tons of videos on how to get over them. I say this because I can't really teach anyone how to get over them myself aside from maybe they go away over time. I guess I can also say get a sparring partner and visualize yourself at a tournament setting.
So that's what tournament nerves are.

I could try to get a sparring partner, but I technically have several as is, as I have a friend group that meets up in the library almost every day to play competitively (singles rotation), and most, if not all of them, are more competitively experienced than I am. I notice the trends in my Sonic play even when I'm going against them in completely non-tourney environment, so I guess you could say my Sonic is the embodiment of constant tournament nerves x3

I'll definitely work on it and watch videos on how to deal with them. Now that I think about it, I sometimes second guess things to where my friends there have to remind me "you're fine dude", so it's a core issue with my self that translates more into my Sonic than Kirby, it seems.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I definitely struggle in the sheik mu. Its one of my least knowledgable and cost me a set in a tournament yesterday despite beating the same sheik in pools with bayonetta.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I personally have no trouble against sheik; they all essentially play the same way. Needles, grab, f-air, rinse and repeat. I haven't lost a set to a sheik player yet with my sonic or my pits.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I definitely struggle in the sheik mu. Its one of my least knowledgable and cost me a set in a tournament yesterday despite beating the same sheik in pools with bayonetta.
I personally think Sonic is my best match up. Why?

Casue I was given a healing factor by the Canadian government and now I'm immune to cancer :troll:

:135:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think you're the one that has cancer. :troll:

:187:
Still can't die from it, so Sonic still my best match up. :troll:

Technically Deadpool still has cancer, but his healing factor moves too fast for it to kill him. So he's essentially a walking tumor.
That can talk too. Don't forget that.

Either way, you still go me there, but at least cancer doesn't have an effect on me :troll:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I don't know how legit this could be, I find two stock 0 damage a little strange but its still a pretty snazzy performance.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I saw the full match. He was playing against a baddie.

This particular player likes to go for whatever is most flashy and/or disrespectful.

I played him on WiFi and all of it was telegraphed and simple to avoid. I didn't drop any rounds or get hit by any of those tactics in the ditto. Couldn't take a stock off my Mario either.

If he added fundamentals to his gameplay in addition to learning how to apply these gimmicks to real reads consistently, that'd be super.

You can only go so far making combo videos out of baddies on For Glory.

:093:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I played him on WiFi and all of it was telegraphed and simple to avoid. I didn't drop any rounds or get hit by any of those tactics in the ditto. Couldn't take a stock off my Mario either.

Show offs get to fight you online but I can't? I am disappoint senpai. Kappa.

Looking at his setups I thought he was some kind of undiscovered Sonic main, when he followed me on twitter I was like "OOOOOOOH SH- I gotta fight this guy one of these days, but first let me mimic some of his moves in training just to see if I can." like that day I posted that meteor setup on the edge about a month or two back. If that's the case I guess I don't need to really go around trying to impress anymore lol. Also aaaaayyyy, you secondary Mario? You and I have the same setup except I stopped using Mario to put all focus on Sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Show offs get to fight you online but I can't? I am disappoint senpai. Kappa.
He had been asking for a while, and I had a random night of wifi and wanted to see what he was about. I honestly just don't play online often either...
Looking at his setups I thought he was some kind of undiscovered Sonic main, when he followed me on twitter I was like "OOOOOOOH SH- I gotta fight this guy one of these days, but first let me mimic some of his moves in training just to see if I can." like that day I posted that meteor setup on the edge about a month or two back. If that's the case I guess I don't need to really go around trying to impress anymore lol. Also aaaaayyyy, you secondary Mario? You and I have the same setup except I stopped using Mario to put all focus on Sonic.
He has potential but... Don't be blinded by the flash.

He's good intentioned, and very motivated to learn, so maybe with time everything will come together.

I don't truly secondary anyone. I like practicing certain characters, but as far as facing other Sonics go, it's really easy for me to pick characters with strong fundamentals and just punish them.

With Mario I don't really have to worry about being gimped or losing neutral, so...

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I don't truly secondary anyone. I like practicing certain characters, but as far as facing other Sonics go, it's really easy for me to pick characters with strong fundamentals and just punish them.

With Mario I don't really have to worry about being gimped or losing neutral, so...

Hmm, baiting&punishing a bait&punish based character? Eh, I like it lol. Speaking of which, might be off subject, but I'm curious and you're all famous with experience, how do you feel about Sonic being played as a rushdown character? I know you said there's no proper way to play him or any character a while back but I'd still like to hear your thoughts on that playstyle for Sanic.

I originally wanted to secondary ZSS, but I rely too much on grabs sometimes, so ZSS automatically gets the ax from characters I main/pocket.
Zero Suit was my original secondary back in the early 3DS days but I ended up dropping her because once I got into her fully when the WiiU version came out she just didn't feel right to me after coming off from using her in Brawl as a secondary. I also felt really dirty getting most kills as her lol. It's because of her I keep going for grabs as Sonic as well as my experience fighting my friend who mained Luigi :'(

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hmm, baiting&punishing a bait&punish based character? Eh, I like it lol. Speaking of which, might be off subject, but I'm curious and you're all famous with experience, how do you feel about Sonic being played as a rushdown character? I know you said there's no proper way to play him or any character a while back but I'd still like to hear your thoughts on that playstyle for Sanic.
Sonic, at his core, is a bait & punish character.

The most optimal rushdown you will see from top Sonic play, is aggressive bait & punish, disguised as pseudo rushdown.

Sonic's neutral game is lacking, but Sonic gets big damage off of hits and he has a ton of mix-up tools. This is why he may look like a rushdown character at times, but he does not have the tools to outspace or pressure safely in a true rushdown manner at the highest levels of play.

Against some characters, you can maybe get away with more, but yeah.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I do generally struggle against fighting ZSS because of her *ahem* "zone breaker" playstyle, which I'm pretty sure is just a different form of rushdown. Either, I don't like it. It's doable for me, but I have yet to take a set (let alone a game) off of a powerful zero suit player.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
This.

Sonic, at his core, is a bait & punish character.

The most optimal rushdown you will see from top Sonic play, is aggressive bait & punish, disguised as pseudo rushdown.

Sonic's neutral game is lacking, but Sonic gets big damage off of hits and he has a ton of mix-up tools. This is why he may look like a rushdown character at times, but he does not have the tools to outspace or pressure safely in a true rushdown manner at the highest levels of play.

Against some characters, you can maybe get away with more, but yeah.

Ah. I hear ya. I'm gonna have to really look back on some of my replay's, study myself and then think about how I can implement a better Bait&Punish style. I'm always trying to be aggressive and in my opponents face, I never really think to bait much though there are times when I sit back and give it a try, when it works it works lol.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I feel like dropping Sonic (or at least moving him to secondary) in place of Cloud. I'm not saying I don't enjoy Sonic, it just seems I do better with Cloud than Sonic (at least compared to what other players can do with Sonic). Also, I really enjoy Sword Characters.

What is this?

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Archie is making a new comic for the 25th anniversary called Sonic Mega Drive and it will be based on the classic games rather than the archie storyline

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I feel like dropping Sonic (or at least moving him to secondary) in place of Cloud. I'm not saying I don't enjoy Sonic, it just seems I do better with Cloud than Sonic (at least compared to what other players can do with Sonic). Also, I really enjoy Sword Characters.

I thought that you were never a Sonic main to begin with.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Archie is making a new comic for the 25th anniversary called Sonic Mega Drive and it will be based on the classic games rather than the archie storyline
I haven't read Archie in forever. But I'm genuinly intrigued by this set of news...

Just wondering... if it may pave the way for a true FULL Classic Sonic game... I know it's a standalone one shot, but you never know.
One can only dream... for so long.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Perhaps it'll lead to another Genesis Wave that kills another 3/4 of the cast to the point where only Sonic and Eggman will be left, where the story turns to them retiring from what they're doing and becoming Manzai Comedians.
Darn Ken Penders:4lemmy:

Top Bottom