• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Personally I love traditional fighters. Some of my favorites are Blazblue and Marvel vs Capcom. I'm tempted to practice umvc3 and go to Evo with my team of Firebrand/Dante/Zero, but I have no humans to practice with. I would love to see Blazblue at an Evo tournament sometime, though.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Then we'd have fsj fair spike on everyone, and an easy ko setup out of spin from anywhere post 120%. :applejack:

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Do we actually know where Sakurai got the idea for Sonic's dair to be what it is? I can't think of any references for it. It feels like it was just put in there without any reference for Sonic game's moves.
I mean, I like it for what it is, but it just feels like an awkward move for Sonic.
Unless its sole purpose was just to help get Sonic back on the ground from the air. I suppose that would make sense.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Do we actually know where Sakurai got the idea for Sonic's dair to be what it is? I can't think of any references for it. It feels like it was just put in there without any reference for Sonic game's moves.
I mean, I like it for what it is, but it just feels like an awkward move for Sonic.
Unless its sole purpose was just to help get Sonic back on the ground from the air. I suppose that would make sense.
Sonic Battle.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic Battle.
Oh. Really? I don't recall that being one of Sonic's moves. I did focus more on buffing Emeral in that game, but I'm pretty sure Sonic didn't have a move like his dair in Battle.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If anything, he might've taken it from Shadow's "Dair" in Battle.

:093:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
If anything, he might've taken it from Shadow's "Dair" in Battle.

Ohhhhhhh.
That move.
Huh. I did not like that move in Battle.
That explains a lot. But at the same time, that makes more questions rise. I wonder what the criteria for judging what moves go where and what sources were checked for Smash.
The world may never know.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
A lot of Sonic's moveset was ripped from Fighters, and not Battle, for some god forsaken reason.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I know, it's like having most of Mario's moveset be taken from Hotel Mario, or having Link use his CDI design. Though to be fair Fighters did have a simpler moveset if it means anything.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's dair in Smash is reminiscent of Sonic's aerial attack from Sonic Battle. Same animation, for the most part. :applejack:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Personally I love traditional fighters. Some of my favorites are Blazblue and Marvel vs Capcom. I'm tempted to practice umvc3 and go to Evo with my team of Firebrand/Dante/Zero, but I have no humans to practice with. I would love to see Blazblue at an Evo tournament sometime, though.
Blazblue might make it to EVO2017 after the domestic release is available in America (though in Europe it usually comes later (why does Arc Systems suck so much when it comes to international releases?))
:196:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Blazblue might make it to EVO2017 after the domestic release is available in America (though in Europe it usually comes later (why does Arc Systems suck so much when it comes to international releases?))
:196:
Sweet =D. That's the year I graduate high school. I really can't wait for Arc Fiction to be released in America (even though I can't get it cause I won't have a PS4 or Xbone).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I miss Blazblue being mainstage at EVO.

I miss Blazblue, in general.

I love that game.

See my Platinum.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think he'll end up 4th, but definitely top 5. He did get the weight change, so the design team understands the top tiers in this game. Sonic top 4.
That was quite an old thing to quote.

Sonic is currently 6th on the tier list, just shy of 5th.

I don't think Sonic is top 5 at all, personally. Top 8-10 is more fitting.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I loved Blazblue until it went the route of SF3/SF4/Guilty Gear and pumped out endless updates. I can only care to relearn the same character so many times.

Oh yeah, Sonic definitely isn't top 5. I don't know how people can still think that. 8-10th sounds good.

:applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I loved Blazblue until it went the route of SF3/SF4/Guilty Gear and pumped out endless updates. I can only care to relearn the same character so many times.

Oh yeah, Sonic definitely isn't top 5. I don't know how people can still think that. 8-10th sounds good.

:applejack:
You and I are on the same wavelength.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I mean it seriously too. I spent soooo many hours learning Taokaka/Tager in CT, then Tao got a modest reworking on her aerial game with made her lose her tech chase nonsense. The cafe we use in SA for our weeklies always updates to the newest Blazblue, and right now they have CP Extended or whatever, and half of my inputs for Tao and Tager just don't work anymore, or they are used for different moves.

Keeping it familiar just sounds like a better way to make sure that you retain players, but if you're consistently changing ****, how am I ever suppose to care about your game? I bought the first two at full price a piece before I decided to drop the series like a bad habit because I'm just not willing to spend $50 every time they decide to add another letter to the end of the title. :applejack:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Funny. There was an entire new section with active conversation yet I didn't get notified for anything. Strange. Now I look slow. Well that's just perfect. Um, I saw something regarding where Sonic players think Sonic is going to end up on the tier list in the future? I don't know. I just think he isn't going to leave A tier. He might fall behind since Bayonetta is providing to be a really solid contender for A tier. I saw Seagull get 2-0'd by a Bayonetta the other day. I'm still not too sure how I feel about the MU against her. I'm kinda surprised she already has so much hate but then again I was expecting this, it looks like she uses side B a lot more than we do XD

Reminds me a lot of the kick Sonic does in the intro to 06. Back in Brawl Sakurai was designing Sonic to resemble his 06 counterpart in terms of appearance so if he had that game in mind that's a potential possibility even if it wasn't a move in the game. Could also be that one aerial kick move I faintly remember in Sonic Battle. It's hazy but I recall Sonic doing a similar animation but it wasn't a dive kick, it was a pretty useless move actually lol.

I miss Blazblue being mainstage at EVO.

I miss Blazblue, in general.

I love that game.

See my Platinum.

I used to main Platinum in Continuum Shift Extend. I've been jumping from character to character with each iteration of the game for some reason. Calamity Trigger was Ragna, Continuum Shift was Tao, Continuum Shift Extend was mainly Platinum but I pocketed Tao, Chronophantasma was Bullet and I didn't pick up CPE for some reason. In Central Fiction I'm thinking of picking up Nine, I still don't know much about that game, haven't even been keeping up with it but I last remembered Arc System Works teased Nine as playable.

On the subject of other fighters anybody got Street Fighter V yet? Might be a stupid question but I was thinking of getting that sometime down the road and I was curious to know how it played and what it feels like in terms of pace. I figure I should just wait for Super-Ultra Street Fighter V Arcade: HD StarForce Extended Mix Edition.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I want to get SFV but I know exactly what's going to happen if I do.
I'll get it, play it for 1-2 months, then never touch it again because it fails to keep me interested. I'll just stick to watching it.

Happened with Tekken, GG, BB, Arcana Hearts, SF3, SF4, MVC3, and Mortal Kombat, so no doubt I'll just lose interest in this one too. :applejack:

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
And I don't see Ibuki in the game either. I heard they were going to release her and a few others as DLC and I'm sitting here wondering like "Why not just finish the game? Add all the characters?". The roster doesn't even look that impressive.

Also this comment. I found it funny. Adding more laughter to my fire is talking Brawl taunts in Smash4.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I mean it seriously too. I spent soooo many hours learning Taokaka/Tager in CT, then Tao got a modest reworking on her aerial game with made her lose her tech chase nonsense. The cafe we use in SA for our weeklies always updates to the newest Blazblue, and right now they have CP Extended or whatever, and half of my inputs for Tao and Tager just don't work anymore, or they are used for different moves.

Keeping it familiar just sounds like a better way to make sure that you retain players, but if you're consistently changing ****, how am I ever suppose to care about your game? I bought the first two at full price a piece before I decided to drop the series like a bad habit because I'm just not willing to spend $50 every time they decide to add another letter to the end of the title. :applejack:
If it makes you feel any better they're done with the CP title and working on the new game; all I remember is that two confirmed characters are Hibiki and a character oroginating from the manga.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I'm not sick of Undertale, I'm sick of people treating its content like a sacred cow that shan't be spoiled to virgin eyes. Like, yeah, I get that it's a unique, thought-provoking, funny, heartfelt, tear-jerking, and subversive gaming experience, but overhyped crap is par for the course these days. Permission to do research ought to be implicit.

That's not aimed at you, by the way; I just needed to vent. Seems like everyone these days is tagging their posts to warn of Undertale spoilers. >_>

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If it makes you feel any better they're done with the CP title and working on the new game; all I remember is that two confirmed characters are Hibiki and a character oroginating from the manga.
I won't care about that crappy game until Jubei gets in. :applejack:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I wanted Jubei in BlazBlue since Continuum Shift but somebody on the development team said the issue with Jubei is his height lol.

All this Undertale talk meanwhile I'm just waiting the new Shantae and Freedom Planet 2. Why is Undertale so popular? I just know people enjoy the comedy and a weird flower thing.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I wanted Jubei in BlazBlue since Continuum Shift but somebody on the development team said the issue with Jubei is his height lol.
Wow, lookin like Ridley there, ey, Jubei? Jk, I know that it's different. Also, in a previous "Teach me, Miss Litchi" skit, they talked about Jubei and talked about his power, and then Ragna said "well bring that sucker out already". Either that means something or probably just a joke.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
All this Undertale talk meanwhile I'm just waiting the new Shantae and Freedom Planet 2. Why is Undertale so popular? I just know people enjoy the comedy and a weird flower thing.
Furry fandom notwithstanding, Undertale essentially an RPG with a morality system. Many think that the morality system is perhaps the most indepth one to be implemented in a video game. You can either spare or kill people you fight and if you do the latter, the game WILL call you out on it, no matter who you kill. Many characters also have enough medium awareness to make Deadpool blush, and take advantage of it to deconstruct basic RPG mechanics.

Also, the comedy, tragedy, etc is very similar in tone to games in the Mother/Earthbound series, cult classics in their own right. The music is also great.

Furret24

Smash Master
I played the Undertale demo the other day and really enjoyed it. I plan on getting the full version in the future.
:162:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94

Best gaming morality system hur dur
Oh Jesus. I don't know why I was so hype for this game as a kid. I'm so upset the story of this game is canon.

\
Also, the comedy, tragedy, etc is very similar in tone to games in the Mother/Earthbound series, cult classics in their own right. The music is also great.
Aren't there still fans demanding Mother3?

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999

Best gaming morality system hur dur
Considering the circumstances around its creation (I heard that the story was made AFTER the levels, bosses, and pathways were completed) the quality is understandable.

Regarding a "canon" pathway, I feel that the best fit one with the least amount of Retcons is "Neutral-Neutral-Dark-Hero-Dark-Hero*"

At the end, Shadow needs to end on the Black Comet, which is either by Final Haunt or the titular level, True Hero or Anti Villain respectively. In order for The Last Way to fit, it needs to be preceded by the most ambiguous ending. Final Haunt ends in either being a jerk to Sonic (oh, and Diablon is there too for some reason), or killing Black Doom to death. Anti Villain-Dark ends up with Shadow becoming the messenger of Black Doom, so all 3 of these are too clear cut. Anti villain-Hero on the other hand is the most ambiguous of all paths in the game, boiling down to telling Eggman "no one tells me what to do!" then bashing his skull in. Compare this to: destroying this DAMN planet, usurping Black Doom to conquer the Galaxy, usurping Eggman to take over the world, being better than himself (??), honoring Gerald's legacy aboard the collapsing ARK, or committing sudoku after finding the computer room.

Anyway, retconning the battle with Eggman and getting two chaos emeralds at the same time, this can easily lead into the last story. But how to get there? Working our way back, Shadow needs to think he's an Eggman Robot at some point from the final boss dialogue, which only happens in Iron Jungle, which connects to Black Comet thru the Dark Path.

Now from Westopolis, he either goes on to crash the Internet, go to an ancient Black Arms Ruin, or Escape from the City. These either lead to Eggman's Haunted Castle, what's left of Prison Island, or the DAMN fourth circus. For this game it would be most fitting for Shadow to go to Prison Island. In the third act, the Internet crashes no matter which path you take, so Digital Circuit feels rather irrelevant. In the beginning Shadow clearly doesn't care much for the humans at this point, so that leaves Glyphic Canyon.

This means Shadow betrays Doom twice in a row. The reasoning for this could be that Doom is remaining patient, as Shadow would be a fantastic asset to his cause. He is successively showing Shadow things that he hopes to turn him to the Dark side. At Prison Island, Shadow comes to the realization that Doom KNOWS a lot via flashback, and follows him for once in Prison Island.

After, Doom takes advantage of a mentally enervated Shadow and simulates the ARK raid in the Doom to give Shadow a reason to kill the humans. This backfires spectacularly however, as Shadow (after killing countless) finds Maria and for some reason helps her instinctively. To save this, Doom (inaccurately) represents Maria getting shot in front of Shadow for revenge. Since this conflicts with Shadow's only other established memory, he figures something is up and leaves after destroying the simulation machine.

He has a brief stint with Eggman, but doesn't believe him either and goes to the Black Comett, finding the other Emeralds and setting up the last story.

Top Bottom