• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Informal poll:

On a scale of 1-10, how important is the jump out of shield option in your gameplay?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Informal poll:

On a scale of 1-10, how important is the jump out of shield option in your gameplay?
With sonic? not to important, jumping OOS + JC stuff OOS is helpful when pressured on a platform but otherwise...

With other characters it's far more helpful

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's based on the 3DS version, too..

BTW, anyone tried ASC to full charge HA? I've tried air dodging with a second controller in training mode and it seems to be a true combo if you're quick enough. Just a reminder: a full charge HA will definitely kill at higher percentages..
I've done spin dashe > spin jump > into full ha combo at high percentages to kill.

I also won a tournament match similarly. I'm about to edit the tourney footage myself. It's taking forever.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Informal poll:

Like a 3?

It's far more useful with other characters I play, but for Sonic, hitting with his aerials OoS and it being useful requires more tact. Like, sometimes OoS Fair and Uair are wonderful, but I'm usually banking on my grabs (as I always do).
Sonic , is the most easiest punished character , just fail ONE attack and you have a Endless Lag ... For the fastest thing alive ... it's kinda ironic >.>
That was sort of the running joke with Sonic in Brawl too... And it's only worse now it seems with Dair and Bair being tragic.

:093:

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Like a 3?

It's far more useful with other characters I play, but for Sonic, hitting with his aerials OoS and it being useful requires more tact. Like, sometimes OoS Fair and Uair are wonderful, but I'm usually banking on my grabs (as I always do).

That was sort of the running joke with Sonic in Brawl too... And it's only worse now it seems with Dair and Bair being tragic.

I posed the question because I recently played against a really good, high-aggro Sheik who was pressuring me beyond belief and I felt trapped in my own shield. It was then that I remembered that jump OoS was even an option. I literally never used it. I feel like even jumping out of shield to escape and reset, not set up an aerial, could be a useful thing to have in the pocket. Thoughts?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I got 7th out of 130 at a tournament yesterday. Got bopped by a Diddy at 60% on FD in winner's because I didn't bthrow, and SD'd against Razer in game 3 in losers.

Kinda disappointed, but it's whatever. Game's still young. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I posed the question because I recently played against a really good, high-aggro Sheik who was pressuring me beyond belief and I felt trapped in my own shield. It was then that I remembered that jump OoS was even an option. I literally never used it. I feel like even jumping out of shield to escape and reset, not set up an aerial, could be a useful thing to have in the pocket. Thoughts?
Sheik is safe like all the time.

Sonic is bait-and-punish, but if it can't be punished, what do you do?

Answer: Lose.

I'm getting slightly better at the match-up, but it's still a mess. I suck at Rosalina too. I need to study more match-ups.
I got 7th out of 130 at a tournament yesterday. Got bopped by a Diddy at 60% on FD in winner's because I didn't bthrow, and SD'd against Razer in game 3 in losers.

Kinda disappointed, but it's whatever. Game's still young. :applejack:
gg man. Top 8 is great!

What tourney?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's not that I got top 8. I'm happy. That's what I was shooting for. I'm disappointed in SDing to Razer game 3 in losers, and Diddy uair robbing me in winners. :applejack:
Nah, I understand. We all know those feels.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If Lucario's aura is still as hard as it used to be to get through in Brawl, I made a good choice in switching to Palutena for that match-up. But we'll see.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
So I came across something weird. Full running dash into a SD > A creates a horizontal hop of the spindash, similar to just pressing a after charging SD or SC. You can accomplish the same thing with a SC > down c-stick to create the same effect, horizontal spin thingy.

The weird thing is that the SD version uses a jump, but the SC one doesn't. Thought that was weird and this is kinda completely irrelevant lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think you're just describing the Spinshot. Classic Sonic tech from Brawl that transferred over. :applejack:

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I think you're just describing the Spinshot. Classic Sonic tech from Brawl that transferred over. :applejack:
Nah its not the spinshot glitch, this is just an arched spin dash through the air. Similar to just pressing a after charging SC or SD. The timing on the running spindash arch with SD > A has a different timing then the SC > down c-stick one.

also unrelated, everyone here should give this song a listen to if you're an EDM fan and Sawnic fan :D. So good!

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I think you're just describing Instant SDJ alongside with BSBS, which made you think that it uses your second jump (it doesn't).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think you're just describing Instant SDJ alongside with BSBS, which made you think that it uses your second jump (it doesn't).
This sounds right.

ISDJ is what allows you to preform a SDJ immediately out of run with the arch of doing it after a SDR. You can double jump out of it, unless you went into the BSBS state.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Seagull Joe, is your tag 6WX? I've seen one in challonge brackets you've posted.
Either way, I just played a Luigi with that tag on FG and got stomped. Hard. Left second match, too much lag, gf was watching KH videos >_>

If that was you, you're a bully.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull Joe, is your tag 6WX? I've seen one in challonge brackets you've posted.
Either way, I just played a Luigi with that tag on FG and got stomped. Hard. Left second match, too much lag, gf was watching KH videos >_>

If that was you, you're a bully.

My tag on for glory is "SeagullJoe". 6wx is a dude from SC.

:018:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
How does the Sonic board kill with Up smash this time around? For some reason, I don't find it as easy to catch someone with in this game. While we're at it, is that "spike" with Up smash still in this game? I remember it being in brawl, even though it was a situational thing.(i really wish i had a video, but the last time i saw this was years ago)

Also, while we're at it, I decided to screw around with the Spin dash charge's jump, and it appears to have a much more heavier psychological effect than I thought:

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
lol Zelda didn't even run, she just.. walked off the stage

And, yes, the Usmash "spike" is still a thing (and still quite weak).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Also, while we're at it, I decided to screw around with the Spin dash charge's jump, and it appears to have a much more heavier psychological effect than I thought:

post #666

Also, Usmash is usually best hyphen smashed and used to pressure on platforms above you or to catch landings in general.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I managed to catch a Kirby falling in rock form with usmash at the ledge to see if it would fly over my head and it did. They reverted back to stupid cute form just in time and survived though. This was on 3DS, I don't really use usmash anymore. Now that people (not me) have proper controllers they can punish it so easy because their spacing isn't ****.

:077:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I tend to tech-chase with U-smash for my kills. It's really good for catching a retreating opponent in the air...it's really good for punishing landings as a whole, actually.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Most of my upsmash kills or pressure with it is by using it on opponents who are on a platform, like Cam was saying. I tried expirementing with it by reading a tech chase after down throw, but it's just too risky. I've had more success reading ledge recoveries with upsmash tho.

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
M-Maybe Sakurai wanted SD to be like it's Sonic 2 version, where you were unable to jump when dashing off a cliff!

(though that doesn't explain why SD has a hop)

(that also doesn't explain why Spin charge, isn't called Spin Dash and vice versa given that a Spin dash in ANY Sonic game doesn't start off with a hop)

(neither of those explain why i'm going off tangent either)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I loved using Samus in Brawl, but I haven't used her much at all in smash 4.

Atm she's Bottom Tier in Japan's Tier List, and she's Bottom in Brawl.
Now for my question: Are smash 4 Samus and Brawl Samus Bottoms for the same reasons, or are they bottom for different reasons?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Did you just... sorta miss the Samus boards two times over to come to /Sonic/ on accident or... did you mean to ask the question here...? 'Cause I'm not exactly sure why we would have an answer...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tTSRg2DOQ

Okay, I'm actually starting to see why some people are upset that M2K is using Sonic.

He may be fundamentally solid; but I don't think he needed to do that many rolls or FSmashs one after the other. As far as using Sonic efficiently goes, he still needs some work.

Now I'm just not sure what's more infuriating: that, or the the fact people are using M2K as the definitive for Sonic's metagame.

Example:

smashboards.com/threads/any-tips-for-dealing-with-sonic.382000/

... Ignore the cringeworthy advice in the rest of the thread. It almost feels like its more for trying to deal with For-Glory scrubs than people who actually know what they're doing with the character.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Watching those matches makes me angry. Though i will say a lot of sonic mains from brawl from what i see still play sonic like he was ripped right out of brawl at times and miss a lot of punishes or favorable situations. That and so far M2K's beaten both meek and 6WX in sonic dittos to my knowledge.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
He may be fundamentally solid; but I don't think he needed to do that many rolls or FSmashs one after the other. As far as using Sonic efficiently goes, he still needs some work.
He's like, pretty alright with Sonic. Does some things really well and other things are very laughable, as mentioned.
Now I'm just not sure what's more infuriating: that, or the the fact people are using M2K as the definitive for Sonic's metagame.
That is the nature of being a top player... Scrubs will cling to it all.
... Ignore the cringeworthy advice in the rest of the thread. It almost feels like its more for trying to deal with For-Glory scrubs than people who actually know what they're doing with the character.
That is the nature of being a Sonic player... (I'm noticing a pattern here)
Though i will say a lot of sonic mains from brawl from what i see still play sonic like he was ripped right out of brawl at times and miss a lot of punishes or favorable situations.
I have moments of being guilty of this. It's much harder breaking old habits, especially when it's instinct, as opposed to starting from scratch and building up.

It will pass, though.
That and so far M2K's beaten both meek and 6WX in sonic dittos to my knowledge.
I saw Meek got BSBS'd but 6WX too noooooooo plz

Last edited:
Top Bottom