• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
A lot of people came out of the woodwork for the Switch midnight launch last night. I hope there's at least one left somewhere, because I didn't think there were other Nintendo fans in my town. :p

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I'm not sure if he's really a top 5-er. Maybe he's somewhere around there, but in my experience that seems a bit off.
I really need to get watching some more out of country matches. I want to see the matches that encouraged that placing.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm honestly more concerned with Marth's placement (at least the gap between him and lucina)

:135:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
IKR; not a big enough gap.
In all seriousness, I don't reckon Marth's tipper really deserves that much of a gap between the two. Cause literally outside of that, they are the same character and their are few situations where i would rather the tipper of Lucina's sword

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I made a super long post about that like two weeks ago.
Basicaly, Marth's tippers do make a difference because he can kill without shifting gears and only focusing in his own regular punish game.
To kill, Lucina needs to take slightly unsafer options such as edgeguarding or trying to get a read with Fsmash, but still that means getting out of her comfort zone. Either that or deal more damage; that means making the match last longer; that means facing top tiers with equal or better neutral than hers for longer, increasing the chances of losing exchanges and ultimately the match.

From a Lucina perspective, tippers are broken.
:196:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I made a super long post about that like two weeks ago.
Basicaly, Marth's tippers do make a difference because he can kill without shifting gears and only focusing in his own regular punish game.
To kill, Lucina needs to take slightly unsafer options such as edgeguarding or trying to get a read with Fsmash, but still that means getting out of her comfort zone. Either that or deal more damage; that means making the match last longer; that means facing top tiers with equal or better neutral than hers for longer, increasing the chances of losing exchanges and ultimately the match.

From a Lucina perspective, tippers are broken.
But doesn't Lucina have basically all of Marth's Kill set ups (Jab 1 -> Fsmash) meaning she really doesn't have that many unsafe options?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Jab>Fsmash has a very slim window at which it is a true combo, and when it is not true the opponent will just jump away and avoid the Fsmash. They may get hit with an aerial, and Marth's are more powerful.

Then Jab>Ftilt's window is much wider, but guess whose will kill early and which one won't.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Jab>Fsmash has a very slim window at which it is a true combo, and when it is not true the opponent will just jump away and avoid the Fsmash. They may get hit with an aerial, and Marth's are more powerful.

Then Jab>Ftilt's window is much wider, but guess whose will kill early and which one won't.

Ah okay i see your point now. I mean i always understood if Marth ws her then Lucina, but just felt like shouldn't be as big as it.

Still i guess those Tippers can really help out it certain scenarios like that.

About about Jab > Fair?

Is there much difference between the two? (like can Marth actually kill with it if Tipper)

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
If you really think about it, lucina is actually a super honest character. WITH NO GOOD CONFIRMS. I mean, marth's confirms aren't exactly that great, but they're still there. Lucina doesn't really have any kill confirms that work.

Not just that, but she has to commit really hard to actually get a kill. Even though Marth is really commit heavy, at least throwin out fsmash is kind of a part of his gameplay (spacing tippers and such). Since lucina doesn't have to space, she doesn't have a dominant neutral game (even though her disjoints are still good, but she can't maintain neutral). Her kill power is kinda weaker than Marth's in many areas. I tested the kill moves that people said she has and some of those moves don't kill anywhere near as early as people say. Fsmash, definitely, bair, surprisingly cheesy kill move, but side b kills don't work at frigin 125(?) wherever that came from, and up throw is up throw; it literally only kills 1% later than marth's.

I honestly believe that marth cannot be top tier by any means in this game. Leo can stay getting 13th at the next few majors he goes to, Mr. E can be Mr. E rank, and pugwest can remain the irrelevant guy he is unless if it's in doubles for all I care. Despite this, I am willing to believe that he has some tricks up his sleeve that should be noticed. Lucina....not so much; being an inferior marth means a lot more than people think. Izaw's Art of Marth covers a lot more differences between the two (most notably the confirms). I think she's low tier by design (because it's one of those "outshined by other characters" kind of deals), but I can see her mid tier at best. People that say that she and marth are the exact same are beyond wrong.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you really think about it, lucina is actually a super honest character. WITH NO GOOD CONFIRMS. I mean, marth's confirms aren't exactly that great, but they're still there. Lucina doesn't really have any kill confirms that work.

Not just that, but she has to commit really hard to actually get a kill. Even though Marth is really commit heavy, at least throwin out fsmash is kind of a part of his gameplay (spacing tippers and such). Since lucina doesn't have to space, she doesn't have a dominant neutral game (even though her disjoints are still good, but she can't maintain neutral). Her kill power is kinda weaker than Marth's in many areas. I tested the kill moves that people said she has and some of those moves don't kill anywhere near as early as people say. Fsmash, definitely, bair, surprisingly cheesy kill move, but side b kills don't work at frigin 125(?) wherever that came from, and up throw is up throw; it literally only kills 1% later than marth's.

I honestly believe that marth cannot be top tier by any means in this game. Leo can stay getting 13th at the next few majors he goes to, Mr. E can be Mr. E rank, and pugwest can remain the irrelevant guy he is unless if it's in doubles for all I care. Despite this, I am willing to believe that he has some tricks up his sleeve that should be noticed. Lucina....not so much; being an inferior marth means a lot more than people think. Izaw's Art of Marth covers a lot more differences between the two (most notably the confirms). I think she's low tier by design (because it's one of those "outshined by other characters" kind of deals), but I can see her mid tier at best. People that say that she and marth are the exact same are beyond wrong.
Huh, that's a pretty good argument. I have to give you credit with that.

But i just want to point out that when i same they are similar, i mean that... they are similar. No they are not the same,other wise Lucina would have just stayed a skin. However in certain situation (and sometimes to an exagratted degree if you ignore Maths tippers) they are quiet similar in character.

Of course Marth will outshine Lucina because of extra kill capabilities. But still, Lucina isn't all that bad.

The thing that annoys me the most tho, is half the combos and stuff that work with Lucina and Marth... should work with Roy. but they don't, even though his character feels designed to be more combo orientated then marth and lucina (like seriously i get more off of Marths Jab1 > nearly anything then i do at times with Roys Jab > anything, espcially at high killing percents... unless of course that's just me playing Roy wrong... which it could be)

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
While we're talking about tier placings, did I miss something with Bayonetta again? I haven't had time this last semester to practice much, but apparently she's on top of the tier list again?

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Huh, that's a pretty good argument. I have to give you credit with that.

But i just want to point out that when i same they are similar, i mean that... they are similar. No they are not the same,other wise Lucina would have just stayed a skin. However in certain situation (and sometimes to an exagratted degree if you ignore Maths tippers) they are quiet similar in character.

Of course Marth will outshine Lucina because of extra kill capabilities. But still, Lucina isn't all that bad.

The thing that annoys me the most tho, is half the combos and stuff that work with Lucina and Marth... should work with Roy. but they don't, even though his character feels designed to be more combo orientated then marth and lucina (like seriously i get more off of Marths Jab1 > nearly anything then i do at times with Roys Jab > anything, espcially at high killing percents... unless of course that's just me playing Roy wrong... which it could be)

Roy has different confirms from Marth for the most part (marth doesn't have a jab to up b or a first hit nair to up smash). Roy is a semi clone of Marth now. Roy has better combos and ground mobility, but Marth has a better air game and recovery. Roy is more offensive while Marth is more defensive. Since defense is always going to be better than offense, Marth is the better character (though after all these months I still stand that Marth and Roy are in the same tier). Honestly his confirms are better than Marth's imo because they are much more consistent and you aren't risking as much as you would with Marth.

While we're talking about tier placings, did I miss something with Bayonetta again? I haven't had time this last semester to practice much, but apparently she's on top of the tier list again?
Because matchups, mechanics, moves, and even results are untouched compared to the rest of the cast. Many top players have also stated Bayo as the best character. Plus it might remain relevant with the rise of players like Captain Zack. It's a bit too soon to call imo, but to be Melee has always had a debate with this best character decision, too.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Because matchups, mechanics, moves, and even results are untouched compared to the rest of the cast. Many top players have also stated Bayo as the best character. Plus it might remain relevant with the rise of players like Captain Zack. It's a bit too soon to call imo, but to be Melee has always had a debate with this best character decision, too.
Huh. Interesting.
The reason why I asked is that I had an interesting Bayo fight the other day. I didn't get 0-to-death'd, but using the same set of combos that pre-patch Bayo used this player was able to take both my stocks starting around 30% each time.
I'm unfamiliar playing against good Bayo players post-patch, so I could simply chalk my loss up to lack of DI knowledge.
But I was a bit surprised at how easily I was taken out by the same combo after the nerf.
I'm assuming I just messed up the DI and such, but after that match I was left with a genuine curiosity as to just how much was nerfed.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Huh. Interesting.
The reason why I asked is that I had an interesting Bayo fight the other day. I didn't get 0-to-death'd, but using the same set of combos that pre-patch Bayo used this player was able to take both my stocks starting around 30% each time.
I'm unfamiliar playing against good Bayo players post-patch, so I could simply chalk my loss up to lack of DI knowledge.
But I was a bit surprised at how easily I was taken out by the same combo after the nerf.
I'm assuming I just messed up the DI and such, but after that match I was left with a genuine curiosity as to just how much was nerfed.
Your SDI was probably dearth; you'll still take damage, but you shouldn't have gotten rekt so hard. Also nearly all of Bayo's moves lose to shield due to having poor shieldstun on her moves now.

I'm fine with Bayo being on top of the tier list for right now, but I'm starting to lessen my opinions on her because I can remember beating a handful of Bayos; some pre patch and others post patched. With Pit sometimes, and keep in mind that Bayo is easily Pit's worst matchup (it's basically like fighting Bayo with Cloud that can't use limit (but has a good grab game)).

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I'm heading to a local in a week or two, and I know some people there will use Bayo.
Guess I better start studying up again.
The upside is that now that I'm on spring break, I can finally practice!
...Or play Breath of the Wild for the entire break. Ehhhhhh...choices choices.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
I personally don't think Bayo is number 1 per sey, among the best but not the best. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't feel that way to me.

What would I know though? I'm playing all of my Switch games to death so my Smash game is crying right now.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Actually I haven't heard back yet. Poor girl's been in the hospital for a couple weeks (broke her toe) and hasn't used her phone to talk to anyone in a while.
....aaaaaaaand friend zoned. Over a text smh. SMFH! WHO THE **** FRIEND ZONES SOMEONE OVER A TEXT?!? A CALL WOULD'VE BEEN A TRIFLE MORE RESPECTABLE!

JK I'm actually not that upset (though it's still a d*** move); I'll get over it at some point.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So.... what does everyone think Smash for Switch will be like?

Personally i think it will just be Smash 4 port but sort like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was treated; New characters (or returning ones like Wolf and Ice Climbers) a few stages and maybe a new mode or something

Roy has different confirms from Marth for the most part (marth doesn't have a jab to up b or a first hit nair to up smash). Roy is a semi clone of Marth now. Roy has better combos and ground mobility, but Marth has a better air game and recovery. Roy is more offensive while Marth is more defensive. Since defense is always going to be better than offense, Marth is the better character (though after all these months I still stand that Marth and Roy are in the same tier). Honestly his confirms are better than Marth's imo because they are much more consistent and you aren't risking as much as you would with Marth.
Yeah that is pretty true.

Oh though i feel if that is to be more the case, Roy probably should get a speed and power to a few of his moves. Nothing major tho

Of course not; I'm not delusional.

:093:
Huh, and all this time I thought he was the Best character in game

....aaaaaaaand friend zoned. Over a text smh. SMFH! WHO THE **** FRIEND ZONES SOMEONE OVER A TEXT?!? A CALL WOULD'VE BEEN A TRIFLE MORE RESPECTABLE!

JK I'm actually not that upset (though it's still a d*** move); I'll get over it at some point.
must.... resist.... banter urge......

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
What's a banter?
So.... what does everyone think Smash for Switch will be like?

Personally i think it will just be Smash 4 port but sort like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was treated; New characters (or returning ones like Wolf and Ice Climbers) a few stages and maybe a new mode or something

Yeah that is pretty true.

Oh though i feel if that is to be more the case, Roy probably should get a speed and power to a few of his moves. Nothing major tho

Huh, and all this time I thought he was the Best character in game

must.... resist.... banter urge......

Make sense for the Smash for Switch. Only problem is I won't be able to use any of my mods anymore ;-;

Also what's a banter?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey Sonic dweebs,

Here is a recap of #SonicAtSXSW

Project Sonic 2017 now officially titled Sonic Forces.

C7EulFLUwAA5cFH.jpg

HD Gameplay teaser to be uploaded Friday at 8AM.

Here is a low-quality recording of the gameplay for those who are impatient.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Gorgeous concept art for Sonic Forces revealed.

Instrumental for game's theme revealed. Confirmed to have vocals included in the final version.

Sonic Mania release date delayed from Spring to Summer.

Flying Battery Zone confirmed to be included in Mania, gameplay revealed.

Cool Sonic Mania poster, was being given away at the panel. We are all jealous.

New Sonic Mania key art revealed.

Sonic figure from the collector's edition is much larger than I anticipated.

These are the main take-aways from the panel. Feel free to scour the internet for more, but I had a lot of fun tonight following the stream and Twitter feed and figured I'd wrap it up with a nice bow for y'all.

Enjoy~

:093:

Top Bottom