• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sonic match up thread export] Now discussing Pikachu

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Original topic here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190510&page=52

We in the Sonic boards are currently discussing the match up between Sonic and Pikachu. And for the most accurate match up we request for your opinions about this match up. Commonly used tactics and how a Pikachu would volt tackle a Sonic. However please make sure you have some previous experiences against good Soinc's.

Thank you for your future contribution! :)

neji32

Smash Lord
how of these things are we gonig to get. Why dont the sonics just play pikachus and read guides to get this information rather than asking us what we can do against you.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Because when you make a thread on our thread we'll answer you politely. And this helps fill in your match up thread which reading stickies wont.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I will help out as much as I possibly can. I don't get much Sonic experience, so I apologize if what I say isn't accurate. Do you guys have a chat room? If so, that would make things a lot easier. Also, feel free to jump into our chat room. Everyone there would be willing to help. http://xat.com/chat/room/37180170/

neji32

Smash Lord
I think the purpose of having a sonic match up thread is for the sonics to give info not for for pikas to just tell everyone our secrets.
You know what, lets just make sure everyone knows you can smash stick out of Dsmash and if you in the air, watch out for QAC>thunder.
Because telling everyone this information will definately help pikachus win tournies >_>

worst part is, this is the 2nd topic about the same thing

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Neji, calm down. That is fine if you don't want to help, but you aren't going to stop anyone else from helping.

Like I said, most of the Pika's here are friendly. We would be glad to help. Hop on our chat anytime you want. :)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

GreenStreet of the Sonic Board already made a thread to get our attention about this.
It's cool though. I'm thinking many of our Pikas didn't see that thread anyway.
I already posted my 2 cents. They'd love to receive more tips, guys!

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Don't worry about not knowing much about sonic guys. We'll correct you on the parts(eh, hopefully nicely) and it can help both of us get better info. Besides, we don't know your techs, ATs, or habits either so correct us too aight? :p

Tenki

Smash Hero
needs more pika input over there.

we're so lost.

i'm still lol@chis for making thread #2

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Sorry, Chis musn't have seen the one I made. I'd head over to the link and flame him if I were you, and then give your opinion on Pika vs Sonic...you know...since your over our way anyway :)

neji32

Smash Lord
Neji, calm down. That is fine if you don't want to help, but you aren't going to stop anyone else from helping.

Like I said, most of the Pika's here are friendly. We would be glad to help. Hop on our chat anytime you want. :)
its annoying, everyone i play at tournies are people who go on smashboards (obvious) it was crazy, i went to the tourny once and destroyed EVERYONE. Then i go the very next week and everyone seems to know everything about pikachu. I dont know why you think its a good idea to just tell everyone our secrets. Whats the point of threads like mind game threads if everyone knows what they are? Brawls combos are already only made of your opponent making mistakes, if everyone knows it then what good is the combo?

Van Jones

Smash Lord
its annoying, everyone i play at tournies are people who go on smashboards (obvious) it was crazy, i went to the tourny once and destroyed EVERYONE. Then i go the very next week and everyone seems to know everything about pikachu. I dont know why you think its a good idea to just tell everyone our secrets. Whats the point of threads like mind game threads if everyone knows what they are? Brawls combos are already only made of your opponent making mistakes, if everyone knows it then what good is the combo?
If you were as good as you claim to be, that would not be an issue. Where I play, people caught on to the different "secrets" of Pikachu's play style after one tournament. Even so, I still manage to place well. People are going to find out how to play against all the characters in this game one way or another. Matter of fact, they already have. If you think that doing well in a tournament means that you do well because none of the people you play know anything about the character you use, you should seriously consider rethinking the reasons why you play this game.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Neji. Quitcho*****in'. Srsly. Everyone on smashboards has the same amount of access to all the character boards. At any moment, any person that mains one character can go to another character's board and read up on what they have to offer. Sonic mainers can read about Pikachu. Meta Knight mainers can read about Falcon. Snake Mainers can read about Weegee.

Even without us telling them secrets and strategies about characters and matchups, others can still read the threads that we've made. In fact, it's better to tell them in one thread if they ask-you don't always go into as much detail as you do on the other threads of the board. 'sides, it's just a **** game anyways. Don't be such an elitist.

ON-TOPIC:
•Sonic is VERY tricky for me to nail with the final smash. His Spring and Dair are quite potent escape routes.
•Don't bother doing the homing attack stall against a Pikachu with common sense. EVER. He'll use Thundershock to nail you at a critical point and you will die. ....If all goes well. <_<
•With the right timing, Sonic can dodge Thunder with Dair and barely have enough time to hit Pikachu out of the ending animation.
•Pikachu can move just as fast as Sonic with Quick Attack Cancel, with more maneuverability too. Don't let it catch you off-gaurd or you will be sorry.
•F-Tilt is one of Sonic's best moves against Pikachu. It outranges D-Tilt, which is Pika's 2nd longest-ranged ground attack.

neji32

Smash Lord
If you were as good as you claim to be, that would not be an issue. Where I play, people caught on to the different "secrets" of Pikachu's play style after one tournament. Even so, I still manage to place well. People are going to find out how to play against all the characters in this game one way or another. Matter of fact, they already have. If you think that doing well in a tournament means that you do well because none of the people you play know anything about the character you use, you should seriously consider rethinking the reasons why you play this game.
its not about placing well, its about winning. I guess i shoulddt mine soo much since pika has so much of an advantage against sonic =/ I guess i shouldnt say this about some sonics asking for help. I guess im just angry at G&w, snakes and peaches and the fact that there are two of these threads =( sorry

I need to stop posting replies in school, that might also have something to do with it =/

neji32

Smash Lord
Neji. Quitcho*****in'. Srsly. Everyone on smashboards has the same amount of access to all the character boards. At any moment, any person that mains one character can go to another character's board and read up on what they have to offer. Sonic mainers can read about Pikachu. Meta Knight mainers can read about Falcon. Snake Mainers can read about Weegee.
???? what are you talking about? I clearly said in my first post "why dont you read the guides and play pikachus to figure out about our style rather than posting threads asking us to release our secrets ourselves"
so please dont jump to a conversation if you didnt read it all........
Even without us telling them secrets and strategies about characters and matchups, others can still read the threads that we've made. In fact, it's better to tell them in one thread if they ask-you don't always go into as much detail as you do on the other threads of the board. 'sides, it's just a **** game anyways. Don't be such an elitist.
........its just a game to you but its my career..........

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
???? what are you talking about? I clearly said in my first post "why dont you read the guides and play pikachus to figure out about our style rather than posting threads asking us to release our secrets ourselves"
so please dont jump to a conversation if you didnt read it all........

........its just a game to you but its my career..........
Lol, double-poster.
  1. I'm saying you may as well tell them the "secrets". It's easier for them to read just a few lines that summarizes your style than read through an entire thread with gratuitous details on every aspect.
  2. You're 15 (Or so you said in the Pikachu chat yesterday). You have no career. The most you can do at your age for an actual job is the fast food industry. Playing Video Games is NOT a reliable source of money. They are GAMES. You ENTERTAIN yourself with them. Seriously, you give us gamers a bad reputation with an ideal like that.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
And we are supposed to release our secrets to advance our metagame. i would rather learn how they counter us now then get surprised at some future tourney. i dont have enough experience in this matchup to help out anyways :(

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
Well I posted a little something in the the matchup thread they made.

Without giving too much info on other pika stuff I "kinda" talked about how pika gives sonic trouble.

Guess i'll just quote myself...

Scissors Sir's post on the Sonic board said:
Ok i've played quite a few sonic mains recently

What this matchup boils down to is who can be the safest. I would have to say it's pika

The problem some pikas face when fighting sonic is they still try to force out their killing moves even when the sonic is playing a heavy punish game.

If you're playing that type of sonic, you're rarely going to land a fsmash. (I'm not saying it's impossible in the matchup)

One thing that makes this matchup really hard for sonic I would say is pika's reverse uair (I'm not just talking about RAR)

Uair causes problems for a lot of sonic's approaches. And being that it starts and ends quickly it's very spammable. (In this matchup at least...)

Uair also sets up pika's other aerials. Even if sonic uses a spring out of an ill-timed follow-up... pika still stays fairly safe afterwards.

If you intercept a sonic with fair before he touches the ground, you can try to set up an utilt, uair, dsmash (depending on their reaction time) or usmash

Most of the time sonic will be looking for different angles to come in from.

Uair alone doesn't leave many for him sadly...

A rising reverse uair isn't even punished by a running shield on sonic's part.

And minus sonic's specials, pika has better air mobility which helps avoid an aerial retaliation on pika's uair by sonic.

I would say on an average or below average skill level the match is 60-40 pika. When you start looking at above average, i'd say it's 55-45 pika.

Sonic's speed does force pika to use safer moves a lot more than usual.

Luckily for pika, one of his safest moves is a pain in the a** for sonic to handle.
I think that says enough without saying too much to them...

No?

btw i've had a change of heart and will start recording/posting videos like the good ol days ^_^

Just gotta find some of my NYC heads to play with.

neji32

Smash Lord
Lol, double-poster.
  1. I'm saying you may as well tell them the "secrets". It's easier for them to read just a few lines that summarizes your style than read through an entire thread with gratuitous details on every aspect.
  2. You're 15 (Or so you said in the Pikachu chat yesterday). You have no career. The most you can do at your age for an actual job is the fast food industry. Playing Video Games is NOT a reliable source of money. They are GAMES. You ENTERTAIN yourself with them. Seriously, you give us gamers a bad reputation with an ideal like that.
give me a break, like you said im 15!!! What mcdonalds would make me somewhere around 300$ a month or i could do about 120$ a week.......yea, im 15 this IS my career and it will continue to be so dont act like you know everything

And we are supposed to release our secrets to advance our metagame. i would rather learn how they counter us now then get surprised at some future tourney. i dont have enough experience in this matchup to help out anyways
stealth <3 you make sooo much since

Tenki

Smash Hero
ON-TOPIC:
•Sonic is VERY tricky for me to nail with the final smash. His Spring and Dair are quite potent escape routes.
•Don't bother doing the homing attack stall against a Pikachu with common sense. EVER. He'll use Thundershock to nail you at a critical point and you will die. ....If all goes well. <_<
•With the right timing, Sonic can dodge Thunder with Dair and barely have enough time to hit Pikachu out of the ending animation.
•Pikachu can move just as fast as Sonic with Quick Attack Cancel, with more maneuverability too. Don't let it catch you off-gaurd or you will be sorry.
•F-Tilt is one of Sonic's best moves against Pikachu. It outranges D-Tilt, which is Pika's 2nd longest-ranged ground attack.
1- by 'final smash', you mean the ... final attack that kills Sonic... right? If you mean the other one, then yeah, I guess.
2- I actually had to homing stall at one point in a doubles wifi match, since I missed the... stage. I was stranded inside the middle of the stage, and a T-jolt disruption to it bought me the freedom to float far enough to the side and spring back.
3- It's a trivial note, but it's true. D-air moves faster than Thunder.

And we are supposed to release our secrets to advance our metagame. i would rather learn how they counter us now then get surprised at some future tourney. i dont have enough experience in this matchup to help out anyways :(
This is truth.

It's a bit of 'development'. Your opponents find a counter-movement, and you find a counter-countermovement.

Getting lucky at a tourney due to people's lack of matchup knowledge is nice for a single time since it nags you prize money. However, knowing how to counter what your opponents can do against you is far more valuable in the long run.

PS: I'm here for about an hour or two, if anyone, preferrably EC/MW wants to play on wifi XD (send me a profile/private message)
done.

I won't have access to a wii until next weekend, so that'll be all for now lol.
ggs

Tenki

Smash Hero
Matchup #'s?

Ehm, so a bunch of people feel like it's 55:45 in Pikachu's slight advantage, or in other words, a 'neutral' matchup. Agreements/disagreements?

edit:
I looked at the Pikachu boards' Pikachu vs Sonic matchup discussion, and I remember I was like, the only Sonic main that contributed to it, and I didn't even say anything aside from 'oh yeah, Sonic has cancellable approaches.'

So, not having fought competent Sonic mains, it was autodecided that Pikachu >> Sonic lol.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
I'd say this be pretty even. It's a contest to see who can control their speed and attacks more precise and accurate. A duel of combos!

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Sonic is Pikachu without a projectile basically, and Pikachu has like... 10% better kill moves lol + Thunder

Top Bottom