• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic hit bubbles examined again (body layered above bubbles)

Trillion

Smash Ace
Sonic Mains, I have worked on a small project for us. Last night, I was checking Sonic's hit bubbles and percentages in relation to other character's attacks. It dawned on me that while we have a video that displays hit bubbles, that we can not see where Sonic's body is in relation to those hit bubbles because they layer on top of his animation. So, while watching the video, I used start/stop framing with printscreen to get images of roughly what Sonic's body looks like right before or right after the hit bubble appeared in the video so that I could get very close to where Sonic's body actually is. So, yes, it's not 100% precise, but it should be close enough for most of my purposes. (Also, I was using MS paint, so my photo shopping isn't pixel perfect either, but again good enough probably.)

The goal of having made these images is this: When we encounter another character's move that we have difficulties against, we can get a similar image of them and find out how/if we can beat it by overlapping images to see if their hitbox reaches our hurtbox before ours reaches their's. (I was originally going to check to see if we had missed any details on the Mach Tornado, but I'm pretty confident that we haven't.) So, by this time, we probably have a pretty good idea of what we are doing in match ups anyway, but maybe we can use it to find something we could use somewhere. If not, then I only wasted a couple hours, so it wasn't a huge loss and at the very least it can help new players or those who aren't Sonic players to understand where Sonic's hits are.

First, I have an image of Sonic standing still. In order to make sure that the images are scaled correctly for comparison if you ARE trying to compare hitboxes/hurtboxes, compare what a move looks like next to Sonic standing still. Find it in a video on youtube and printscreen it. (I for example got a screenshot of Espy's Sonic standing as a MK started up his Tornado so that I could see how tall Sonic was compared to it.) So, scale the opposing character's image if you need to. I'm not sure if scaling images will be necessary, but it probably will be in some cases and this is a good way to go about it.

Without further ado, here are all the images I made with a bit of commentary.

Standing:

Jabs:

Dash Attack:

Forward Tilt:

^^ This is the start up of the forward tilt. I have no idea why there is a hit bubble extending that far below him on this, but I plan on testing and seeing if it actually exists/can do damage to someone below me.

^^ This is the beginning of the attack. It reaches a little bit further forward than the next picture.

^^ This is a few frames later, it reaches a bit further upwards and I was more accurately able to show where his feet are in the hitbubble. The first image would look similar to this if I had included an overlap.

Down Tilt:

^^ This is what the image really looks like

^^ My amazing start stop technology couldn't get any more accurate than this one. This is a (poor) estimate.

Up tilt:

^^ First hit

^^ Second hit

Nair:

Fair:

^^ Hit 1

^^ Hit 2

^^ Hit 3

^^ Hit 4

^^ Hit 5

This tell me for sure, that when using Fair against an opponent, that being slightly above them is probably ideal since hits 3 and 5 reach further below Sonic's hurtbox. But maybe that's just me.

Bair:

^^ My gut tells me that Sonic's foot is too close to the edge of the hit bubble for this to be correct, but I'm not certain.

Dair:

^^ This is the first hitbox of dair. This is the one that I believe sends people horizontally.

^^ This is the second part of the dair. Notice that there is a small bubble added on the right hand side. I believe this is the hitbox that sends people upwards and such. I theorize that like anyone who collides with the correct part of the first bubble would get sent sideways into the second one sending them straight up, but it doesn't matter much.

Up air:

^^ This is what the first hit looks like to begin with

^^ This is approximately where his feet are as this part is happening.

^^ This image and the next one explain why Sonic's up air is so disjointed. Because the hit box is apparently still active even when his feet are no longer inside the hit bubble. These pics only show his right foot, but his left foot is moving in a similar fashion out of view due to the hit bubble layering over it.

^^ This is what the second hit looks like.

^^ This is approx. where I believe Sonic's feet are at within the hit bubble. The layer I put above the hit bubble image is actually created from two images. My shopping may be the cause, but the hit box extends past his feet to the right further than to the left. So, (since Sonic was originally facing to the right) it seems to be the case that the second hit of up air reaches further in front of Sonic, which may be nice to know.

Up Smash:

^^ This is the first hit of the up smash.

^^ This is the second hit of the up smash and hits 2 -7 all look just like this.

^^ This is the last hit of the up smash.

Grabs:

^^ Standing grab.

^^ Dashing grab

^^ Pivot grab

I didn't have a way of showing where his hands and fingers are during grab animations. It's not that big a deal though since grabs have priority and super armor.

Later, I might add the down smash, but I didn't feel like doing it before. The video I got this from that Bionic made didn't have the Fsmash corrected yet I think, but if he has another video where I can get the Fsmash, then I'll do one for where his fist is in that hit bubble too. I also don't have any of the specials, but those are pretty self explanatory. I wouldn't mind adding his 2 ledge attacks and his recovery (get-up) attack though if anyone knows how I can get those.

Thanks to Bionic for making the video that made it possible for me to do this.

Questions/Comments encouraged!

Tenki

Smash Hero
This tell me for sure, that when using Fair against an opponent, that being slightly above them is probably ideal since hits 3 and 5 reach further below Sonic's hurtbox. But maybe that's just me.
Awesome.

Actually seeing them relative to his body is pretty cool, even if they're not all 100% correct.

but I've had an issue with this:
below Sonic's hurtbox
Unless something's happened and I've missed it, how do you tell where Sonic's hurtbox is?

though I haven't tested it, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual model/vertices/graphic, but possibly another set of hitbubbles.

:{

Trillion

Smash Ace
Awesome.

Actually seeing them relative to his body is pretty cool, even if they're not all 100% correct.

but I've had an issue with this:

Unless something's happened and I've missed it, how do you tell where Sonic's hurtbox is?

though I haven't tested it, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual model/vertices/graphic, but possibly another set of hitbubbles.

:{
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was lacking a better phrase for what I was wanting to say, I guess just "body" would have been better. Do you know if anyone has a way to show hurtboxes? That would be even better than any of these.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Looks good to me so far, and what shocked me was that Uair disjoint o_0
Gotta try that out.
Good stuff, can't wait for the r3st!

Browny

Smash Hater
You can determine a hurtbox to a slight extent by simply moving an enemies attack closer and closer until it hits you, but its too difficult. It works alright for finding disjoints though.

GJ doing this body layered idea though, it is infinitely more useufl than the standard hitbubble pictures.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I don't feel like making a new topic so I'll just say this here:

Go to training mode, vs Mario. Up throw him and when he bounces off the ground, try to uair him (pause and unpause after upthrowing so the CPU won't pull some g@y DI after the throw).

Now try this again against MK. Much easier, huh?

So, hm, what I'm trying to say is that if we can somehow abuse this bouncing hurtbox at all. =| Doesn't work on all chars, though. I do know it works against Snake, Falco and MK.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Here's a few pics of Lucario. I recommend trying to gimp him with fair. If he is off the stage and below us (say you've used down throw for example), then our fair outreaches his only viable options of defense against us. As he tries to use his mid air jump, he will have to use his own fair or uair to protect himself. But, if we space it correctly, then we can reach his foot before he reaches our body. Then, we can follow him further out from the stage and land a second fair to push him so far that he can't possibly recover without grabbing the ledge, which we can beat him to.

These images show how to space the fair so that you will outreach him. This is based on the first of the five fair hitboxes, but if you can manage to hit with just the last hit, then your spacing can be even further off since Sonic's head is very far above the front, bottom bubble making this even more safe.

His head does not move when he does his fair. So, if you compare the relation of Sonic's body to Lucario's head in this image, you have an idea of the proper spacing even before a Lucario begins his fair.

The spacing for this one is a bit harder. This is probably a somewhat more reliably safe action for the Lucario to take when we try to come out to gimp him, so this is a reaction we might see more often, however pressing the a button while drifting forward is easier than pressing the c-stick up while drifting forward, so if a Lucario is not used to the situation, fair might be their most basic instinct to react with.

Anyway, Lucario leans back when he does his upair. So, to space this move, the above image does not show what Lucario's body will look like in relation to Sonic's before he starts the move. He will lean away as he starts, so keep that in mind as you are trying to space this before he acts. Same principle holds true here, that if you can hit with the fifth hit of the fair, that is more ideal because it is safer.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
please include the frame that sonic's wiered hit bubble appears on his bair, and how many frames it lasts. also, id like to know how to add this hack to your wii. I think it'll help me with spacing a ton if i can see it on a regular basis.

Browny

Smash Hater
Didnt I prove this already? That bair hitbox does not exist.

This is on the frame after the hitbox first comes out

Top Bottom