• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic, high tier?

Lord_Naomasa

Smash Apprentice
I competed in a tournament last weekend and over 150 people were in it (I think it was 152). I got 3rd place and a Snake player got 1st, but Sonic got 2nd! I watched the matches and he just owned so many people. He decimated Fox, Marth, King DDD..... He beat me and I was Ike, he made me get 3rd place but he really controlled the matches, I had little hope. He was fast and a combo master. One thing I noticed was he was never in the air, always controlling the ground. Sonic sucks? Yea right, tell that to someone who just got spin dashed in the face. Im an Ike mainer but I have seen a lot of Sonic bashing so I was just wanting to tell ya about this.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Yeah, it's pretty common that Sonic is under-rated, 'though I think he'd be high-mid tier at best. Then again, to hell with tiers >_> Most people just play Sonic wrong I guess, and then go "l0l, i l05t guys, it mu5t b s0nik, l3tz pl4y high tier ppl*"

*Your results may vary. Keep away from children.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic is low tier in the traditional sense... you can't play with Sonic like you do everyone else.

The key is to FIGHT LIKE A HEDGEHOG!!! You gotta think, "If I was Sonic the Hedgehog, how would I fight?"

You know speed is your best asset. You realize that your power is lacking.

Now you gotta look up the techniques that make Sonic bad ***. Practice, incorporate mind games, and what do you get? Ownage.

And yeah, I'd love to see videos from this tournament... Hearing that Sonic controlled the ground seems wierd to me since at least 40% of my Sonic kills are aerial, and 60% of my fight is aerial.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
^ Agreed, Sonic's aerial game is crucial to his game, and I could not imagine neglecting it. Anyone know who this Sonic was??

Boxob

Smash Champion
Sonic is low tier. If two people at the same skill level play, and one of them is Sonic, the Sonic will lose.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
What was the name of the tournament... that's a pretty big event. Something like that had to be organized by smashboards or a school and even then... that's big. So what was the name of the event and who organized it?

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
What was the name of the tournament... that's a pretty big event. Something like that had to be organized by smashboards or a school and even then... that's big. So what was the name of the event and who organized it?
Yea a bit more information would be helpful in assessing this.

Lord_Naomasa

Smash Apprentice
Of course he used aerials but not against me that much unless he wanted a whole bunch of broadsword smashes in the head. It incorporated Bowling Green area and took place in Nashville, TN. Also xYz was in a huge tournament (he's an amazing Ike player also, check out the Ike boards) and Sonic got 3rd or 4th in the tournament he was in. I probably can get some videos because Im pretty sure each match was taped so I'll check up on that.

J18

Smash Journeyman
sonic by definition is low tier, but that doesn't in any way stop people from being good with him. there's plenty of amazing sonics out there, but that doesn't nullify the fact that he is, in fact, low tier.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard from higher sources that Sonic was being elected for Bottom tiers...or low in the least,

but I still love playin' as him!

sblkbrn

Smash Cadet
People talk about sonic's ground game sucking... I destroy the opponent on the ground, half the time untouched, kick them up in the air, combo, then finish them.... Sonics ground and aerial games are good and dont just stay aerial. Mix it up because both methods are great.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I can sorta see potential....I'm pretty good with sonic racking up damage and taking advantage of his speed to outmaneuver my opponent, but I always have trouble finishing them off...they reach such high percents that it's frustrating.

I hate always having to resort to either the obvious dsmash/bair or lucky/predicted fsmash...and my opponent knows that's how I always try to KO so it's kinda predictable. :ohwell:

Top Bottom