• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic glitch recovery?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Looks like a spindash followed by a homing attack to me (someone who has NOT played the game).

Admittedly, the spindash seemed to launch Sonic at an oddly high trajectory.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's not. You JC a spindash (I've only been doing it with the side b, seems easiest that way) at a specific time. Pretty much, right before the jump/takeoff, but right as he's about to move. It glitches the momentum or something, and mixes your horizontal and vertical movement for epic win. The timing is really strict, and I don't have it down perfectly yet, but it seems decent enough.

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
It's not. You JC a spindash (I've only been doing it with the side b, seems easiest that way) at a specific time. Pretty much, right before the jump/takeoff, but right as he's about to move. It glitches the momentum or something, and mixes your horizontal and vertical movement for epic win. The timing is really strict, and I don't have it down perfectly yet, but it seems decent enough.
So it's repeatable? Sounds good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've been able to do it... but not uber consistantly... and it's not overly useful since it doesn't help sonic recover in any way that he would have problems with otherwise.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it works pretty well actually

I did it on omni's machine and recorded it... I'm trying to get him to post it... I'll keep you updated.

null84

Smash Cadet
i have been trying that i still do not know how to do it... i jump off the stage and do side + b right? or just b?

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Can it be replicated off the side? I've been trying it for ten minutes and nothing. I can JC the Spin Dash on the ground no problem, but it has different properties in the air. You can do it by just pressing up, even if up-to-jump is off. The video was probably a glitch, Sonic seems a little off at times. I canceled a Spin Dash into a F-Smash yesterday and have no idea how.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
omni's beiung lazy and hasn't got the video up yet.... I'll let you know when it is

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I figured this out while fooling around in training mode.

In order to do it you must
1) be using your side b (see edit note)
2) be fully charged
3) have at least 1 jump left
4) smash the stick at any up angle that's towards the direction you're going.

So basically you charge ->release b->immediately smash stick and watch sonic fly.

EDIT: This can be done with down-b after hitting charge 3 or more times but only when you're in the air, and it's much harder since you're holding down and then smashing the stick which leads to missing the correct angle a whole lot more and the speed needed is just as high.

EDIT2: I'm sorry for confusing people, there is in fact not a whole lot of restriction on the angle of the smashing, it IS just about the time frame. As long as you're fast about it you can get it.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
to twinkle:

1)not true, u can down b it thats wut orochi did and i did, i have the move down pat i can execute every time, in fact its alot easier with down b.
2)not true either, will explain later.
3)true
4)Yes and no depending on u using side b which is harder than down b to execute this.

Doing this with down b is the surefire way of achieving this jump every time and easiest to practice with (timingwise).

Step 1: become airbound, i dont know if u can do this from the ground but its not the same application if u can.
Step 2: down b the charge and press only once and hold it down, u will have to look out for sonics charge as soon as he gets the blue circlet that emanates from his spin thats the signalquickly to input up+jump u really dont have to input a direction, but it helps with the timing.

sidenotes: during the spindash u may also charge 2 times (tap 2 times) hold n fire. this is alot easier for ppl who are trying to learn this quicker but takes that little half second longer which isnt a big deal at all. The one tap though has to be held down to bring out the blue ring around sonic or else hes just gonna rev up and assume normal form.

Not a tech at all but just something to fool with.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Soloman, you are thinking of something different. Yes, if you use down b in the air you can jump out of it, but with my way, the jump will be much faster and will launch you much further. Overall my way seems to lose out on vertical distance due to the charge up time necessary. (I have no video so... test it yourself).

If you do down-b on the ground you're technically still in your spin state which you can jump out of at pretty much any time you want which everyone already knows.

To be honest, jumping with your down b IS probably more useful as it is an attack that leads into an attack rather than just a jump but mine version can double as a long range recovery move.

With that in mind, I think it IS a tech because it is absolutely bizarre for Sonic to jump with that much forward momentum. Even if you are running full speed and jump and DI forward you will not get such a low/fast jump forward.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
the jump orochi did is the same jump speed and range i can pull off with a down b start up. Range is like alittle over edge to middle of the stage on final-d.

Its not an attack its just the jump animation, u can start a spindash from the initital momentum of thejump so when u get to the end of the boost u go into a spindash. ill try your method and see if there are differences, thx for feedback dawg.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, if you do it from the air it's just a jump, but I was saying on a platform the down b can be used as a jump attack whereas what I was talking about is just a harmless jump that can have an aerial attack at the end.

Anyways, sorry for all the confusion.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
A jump out of a side b will give you the same range as a jump from the standing position. This jump is noticeably different. It would probably be easier to tell with a side-to-side comparison video, but just do it yourself and trust me when I say you will notice a significant difference in the jump.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
o so the same jump can be accomplished on ground? noice. Yeh i got the air boost down on farm status (WoW joke) and yes i meant the boost can be done in air and not just as a slow little wimpy jump. its the same as the one u're describing to me. :D

if u get the spindash jump u aint doon it right. :D it looks liek a normal jump u do on ground but its fast and has alot of range.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
mordraug, just jump, down b and hold down and immediatly press up+jump when u get the color indicator that sonics started a spin charge, u can also do it by inputting b+down, down-hold->(quickly release b)up+jump. or try twinkles method, it works as well.

edit: Yo twinkle, u'res works both in air and ground, but down b is alot easier n air and doesnt glitch on ground, u'rs works on ground though, tryin to get it down, i cant get the timing or angle on the jump one of the two. can only do once every 2-3 tries.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Neat. XD

I can do this some of the time. Is this something that takes a lot of conscious effort or will the direction to smash the stick become muscle memory like L-canceling or wavedashing.

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
I believe that's a vB charged once, with a jump / A right afterwards to give the upward movement.

It's a variation of a recovery i've been playing with.. Which is a Side B then near the edge you jump and Fair, saving your ^B incase you get edgeguarded.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Acid, I already explained what it is (top of the page my friend), and that's not it. Down B will not let you jump like that. I have tried several times and failed. If it IS possible it requires a whole lot more than hitting jump.

edit: I really should think of a name for this. Twinkle-jumping anyone? ;P

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Nah, twinkle, considering SonicOrochi, myself, and (possibly) you stumbled upon it at the same(ish) time. Plus, twinkle-jumping makes Sonic sound gay. XD

Still, a name IS needed.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nah, twinkle, considering SonicOrochi, myself, and (possibly) you stumbled upon it at the same(ish) time. Plus, twinkle-jumping makes Sonic sound gay. XD

Still, a name IS needed.
Why not call it a Slingshot?

Just throwing it out there.

DrYou

Smash Rookie
Umm All you have to do is tilt the Stick up when you release the Down B to spin in an upward direction. Is that what were fighting about?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I was kidding Zeal, but I did explain it more than you did :O
And are you hinting that my name is gay? :p

Sling-shotting ain't a bad name for it though.

And I should make an amendment to my earlier statement that this only worked with side b, this can be done with down b after hitting charge 3 or more times but only when you're in the air, and it's much harder since you're holding down and then smashing the stick which leads to missing the correct angle a whole lot more and the speed needed is just as high.

Dr, no that's not what we're talking about.

EDIT: Ah, shame on me I've been making a lot of mistakes on this. Should have tested it more thoroughly. Anyways, Apparently the angle doesn't matter as much as I thought. Any angle from the one I mentioned to the top position will all work as long as you flick it immediately after releasing b.

Sorry for misleading people :(

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Well, TwinkleToes iiiiiiiis frequently an association with homosexuality. That's cool, though, I have nothing against gays.

Sling-shotting is okay, we should put up a video of it and just ask what people think it should be named. XD

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah, read my edit, I've made a mistake and in fact you were closer to the truth originally than I was. But I'm positive that my assessment NOW is correct:

1) Can be done with side b on the ground or in the air
2) Can be done with down b in the air
3) Smash stick right after b is released
4) Any angle that's up will basically work, but it's easiest just to smash it diagonally or straight up
5) Requires some charging of the b before it can be released (apparently only one tap is needed with down b)

Also while toying around with this I've found another method of jumping out of the side b but I'll test this much more first before saying anything more.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Twinkle, combine it with his infinite jump trick for massive aerial lulz.

Some notes:

It can be momentum-cancelled. Dair stops it, and fair seems to stop it as well, but I dunno for sure, I still kinda suck at it.

Twinkle, any suggestions for making it work more?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I tested it a number of times and the jump button (x or y) can be used in place of smashing the control stick. I made sure I tried every situation we know for doing the sling shot and they all work with the jump button. I wouldn't say it's any easier but some people that are more comfortable with button mashing instead of stick smashing might prefer it.

EDIT: Spin shot might be more descriptive... I think either way people will just abbreviate it to SS. Let's just call it SS for now and make up what they stand for as we go xD

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
No, apparently all the game cares about is that right after you release the b move you enter a jump of some sort. That also applies to back jumps as well, but all that does is eat into your momentum by DI'ing in the opposite direction. Of course, that makes me think that I might be getting slightly more distance by jamming the forward jump because of DI in the air but I can't be positive since I don't really have a reliable method of measuring the distance. And by eyeballing it there certainly seems to be little difference.

Top Bottom