• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
They could have waited some and released it with these re imagined levels.
SEGA's on a tight rope as it is with its budget nowadays. To delay the game further would have been a costly decision, regardless of the profits reaped from the game.

A game could only get better when it is delayed.

It's too short, I highly doubt all that they did would've taken up a DVD, or even a Blu-Ray disc.
Sonic levels are so many "meters" long that huge chunks of data have to be sacrificed in order for the level to be complete, alternate paths and all. I wouldn't have put it past the game to use up a huge amount of the memory.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You use Duke Nukem Forever as an example assuming I am not educated in that situation. You are wrong about it because a good number of developing studios attempted working on it but no one did until 2 years ago.

That game was developed in 2 years. The prospect of having it was in the media for over 10.

And yes. You're right. Extremely costly for them to release it during the holiday Uncharted 3, MW 3, BF 3, and Zelda all come out. Certainly the competitors won't detract from its total sales.

EDIT - Oh, hey, Fuelbi. Thanks for the Link to the Sonic CD trailer. Looks like a legit remake and not a port of rom files.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
In the quote, holmes.
Response 1: You DO know that every era is divided up into 3 levels, with 3 eras making up an even 9 levels. Sonic 1, 2, and 3 area all the obvious choices, and if you want CD and 3D Blast to be in the game, then that makes all the levels uneven at 5-3-3 making the fanbase VERY angry

And you're complaining that CD isn't getting a level in Generations, but instead it's getting a full game with a reworked physics system and better controls. Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed about that as well, even though Metal Sonic made it in as a boss in a Sonic CD level

Response 2: You mean the two games that came after 1 that continued the main story in it's continuity and at the very least managed to continue refining what made Sonic 1 unique and making it A LOT better, and introduced Tails and Knuckles. Sonic 3D Blast is very reminiscent to Labyrinth and it really didn't contribute to the story or add any new or notable characters as well as straying off completely from the main gameplay.

Response 3: ... that travesty was Sonic's 15th anniversary game. How many times do I need to repeat this?

Response 4: Yeah, because it's a bad thing that Planet Wisp got re imagined into HD with better music, and it's a bad thing that Rooftop Run only got improved from Unleashed and wasn't a complete boost to win sort of thing

Response 5: I can't tell by this point if you're trolling me or not, but I'll only say it one more time Sonic's 15th anniversary game

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Response 1: You DO know that every era is divided up into 3 levels, with 3 eras making up an even 9 levels. Sonic 1, 2, and 3 area all the obvious choices, and if you want CD and 3D Blast to be in the game, then that makes all the levels uneven at 5-3-3 making the fanbase VERY angry

Because Sonic's fanbase is already easy to please? As if they haven't been begging Sega to return to how the series started. I'm sure the fans would have a MAD HUGE hissy fit if more stages were to be included from the older games.

And you're complaining that CD isn't getting a level in Generations, but instead it's getting a full game with a reworked physics system and better controls. Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed about that as well, even though Metal Sonic made it in as a boss in a Sonic CD level

Sounds like a MW 3 deal. Awesome. I will totally pay whatever amount of money it costs to play this reworked Rom. It worked for Kaizo Mario, right?

Response 2: You mean the two games that came after 1 that continued the main story in it's continuity and at the very least managed to continue refining what made Sonic 1 unique and making it A LOT better, and introduced Tails and Knuckles. Sonic 3D Blast is very reminiscent to Labyrinth and it really didn't contribute to the story or add any new or notable characters as well as straying off completely from the main gameplay.

Because Sonic games were really about story and new friends and not about Sonic. What was I thinking? What were the titles even getting at?

Response 3: ... that travesty was Sonic's 15th anniversary game. How many times do I need to repeat this?

Happy birthday Sonic. Here's a birthday cake! Protip - The cake is a lie.

Response 4: Yeah, because it's a bad thing that Planet Wisp got re imagined into HD with better music, and it's a bad thing that Rooftop Run only got improved from Unleashed and wasn't a complete boost to win sort of thing

They could have revisited the Adventure games and even Heroes. Or even take a hike to the handheld games.

They had the tools to port all the content from both games, so they decided to take that route. Sure, they improved on it. But no one was going to nostalgia over those games. I'm pretty sure the freaking target audience would have wanted to them to touch on something a little older.

Response 5: I can't tell by this point if you're trolling me or not, but I'll only say it one more time Sonic's 15th anniversary game

Happy birthday Sonic. Here's a birthday cake! I made it out of Rocks!

In quotes, home slice.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Holy crap.
Can we talk more about the damn game and less debating?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I think ZIO's trolling me at this point and he's succeeding so I'm going to stop now

If ZIO really liked Sonic or this game or w/e, he'd be satisfied with the finished product, no matter what levels are in the game

:phone:

EDIT:

And is it me or am I the only one upset at how Super Sonic was handled for this game? First off, it was WAY too easy to get. Like seriously, way too easy. I would've felt better if by the end of the story the emeralds had scattered all across the levels again or something and the only way to unlock Super Sonic for normal play was to collect every red ring or something. That brings me to my next point, Super Sonic for both forms was handled terribly. Super Modern Sonic loses like 100 rings in 5 seconds when you start boosting with him, and since he flies, that means he misses crucial points in the level which causes him death. For example, in Modern Sky Sanctuary I had Modern Super Sonic activated towards the end and I was flying all the way up the spiraling building that's crumbling before you hit the goal ring. I flew so high that I missed the red spring that was supposed to take me to the end and as such I died since I flew into a gaping abyss. On the other hand, Super Classic Sonic sucks because he handles no differently than his normal form. I seriously couldn't tell the difference when I tried him out between normal Classic Sonic and his Super form. Unless he has a move which I didn't notice when I used him, there's literally no point in using Super Classic Sonic because I can just get the same amount of speed by just Spin Dash spamming all the way to the end of the level.

When SEGA did this so that people wouldn't just Super their way to the end of the level, that was the ****ing point of Super Sonic to begin with. In every game that you unlock Super Sonic for normal play, the first idea that comes to people's minds is that they can just use Super Sonic all the way till the end of the level and get a good grade/score. It worked out back in the retro games for Super Sonic because Super Sonic was just so ****ing twitchy using him in some levels demanded skill while in Colors I think it worked out pretty well for somewhat of the same reason and because the game was pretty platformy to begin with so people wouldn't just spam the boost for Super Sonic all the time. Now all they did in this game to discourage his use was nerf up Super Sonic to the point where I'd just prefer to use normal Sonic to begin with and not waste my rings. For Modern Sonic I could just equip Trick Mastery, Speed Up, and Acceleration or something, I get almost the same effect more or less of Modern Super Sonic, but without having to fly and lose rings all the time. For Classic Sonic, I don't even need to do anything, and all I have equipped for him is the Homing Attack which in the end ends up being a hundred times more useful than Classic Super Sonic because that just makes my life a lot easier than Super Sonic does.

Seriously, SEGA went in the wrong direction for them this game

Also, Hydrocity = Hydro City so my mind is greater than or equal to blown right now

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Modern Super Sonic I can kind of deal with but Classic Super Sonic... oh god, there was a disappointment. He doesn't gain broken speed, broken jumps or broken anything. Really the only things he gets are increased height from jumps taken off of slopes and the ability to chew through rings like he needs them to breathe. I haven't checked yet but I'm pretty sure he can drown too. He's, sadly, a shell of his former self, even Sonic 4's Super was better than this.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
You guys know how to get a good time in Modern City Escape?
Just hold boost and boost into cars and robots until you reach the part where you get off the board. It keeps your boost up. Don't do any tricks off the ramps cuz it'll only slow you down.
I got a 2'28 doing that.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I think ZIO's trolling me at this point and he's succeeding so I'm going to stop now

If ZIO really liked Sonic or this game or w/e, he'd be satisfied with the finished product, no matter what levels are in the game
I never said I didn't like the game. I said more could have been done to it.

I think it's sad to think that one should be satisfied with what is given. This is why developers like Capcom and Activision are getting away with the **** they do. And you know what I'm talking about.

Also - I've always been a big Sonic fan. But I'm one of those "Keep it like the originals" types. I played the Genesis games to hell and back. I drew Sonic when I was in school, or getting ready for bed. I was subscribed to the comics and that S&K mini series really opened up the story for the games and made them far more epic than they were meant to be for me. Sonic was a big part of my childhood. I'm sorry i feel Sega isn't giving him the treatment I feel he deserves.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I never said I didn't like the game. I said more could have been done to it.

I think it's sad to think that one should be satisfied with what is given. This is why developers like Capcom and Activision are getting away with the **** they do. And you know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, but the difference between SEGA and Sonic Generations and Crapcom and Craptivision is that first off, they listened to us. They put out a bunch of demos and got player feedback and improved the game overall for the players. I think they listen so well to the point where even their music has references to the older games, like Endless Mine being in Classic City Escape, It Doesn't Matter in Modern City Escape, Seaside Hill and Seaside Palace both in Modern Seaside Hill, etc. Hell, they even put in references to their earlier levels as well in their levels, like Hydrocity Zone in Seaside Hill, and so forth.

Second off, they aren't already announcing and pelting us with half ***** DLC just as the game has already launched. At least SEGA isn't putting out DLC for the game with **** already on the disc and overcharging us with 15$ per pack (or at least I REALLY hope they aren't going to do that). SEGA also doesn't do shoddy business practices such as paying us to use cheat codes in their games. We get to use skills at the price of for free and not for some price as Crapcom would've done.

SEGA also put some quality into this game, unlike what Sonic 06 ended up becoming. They learned from their past mistakes and actually took the time to make sure their levels didn't completely bug out on the player, such as having the player die in scripted sequences where it shouldn't even be possible for the player to die then. SEGA also put in a bunch of collectables and even art from the earlier games. I think it's really cool that they put in all the concept art from the original levels, and I like to see how far they've gone with their ideas when making these levels. They also put in music from the previous games so that everybody knows that SEGA didn't forget about games like Sonic Spinball or even Sonic R, which are games not even most people know exist unless they're hardcore Sonic fans who have played nearly every game out there in some form or another.

I don't think it's wrong to be satisfied with what you're given. For a 50$ game full of A LOT of content which Crapcom and Craptivision would charge us like 70$ for, I'm pretty satisfied with the end product. I only believe in being satisfied with something when you see that a lot of work went into the making of the game and that you have fun and don't feel ripped off with the game you have. Unlike Crap of Doody or Marvel vs Crapcom Vanilla Ice Cream Edition or Super Street Fighter whatever 3BS and so on which are basically 70$ expansion packs on the previous that barely add anything new to the game and barely look any better than the previous.

Also - I've always been a big Sonic fan. But I'm one of those "Keep it like the originals" types. I played the Genesis games to hell and back. I drew Sonic when I was in school, or getting ready for bed. I was subscribed to the comics and that S&K mini series really opened up the story for the games and made them far more epic than they were meant to be for me. Sonic was a big part of my childhood. I'm sorry i feel Sega isn't giving him the treatment I feel he deserves.
Trust me when I know exactly how that feels because I was in the same exact boat as you were when you were a kid. I used to worship the ground Sonic walked on. I played SA2 over, and over, and over again, and I was amazed when I found out that there was an SA1 (don't judge me I was 5 >_>) or even that there was like 5 other games that came before previously in 2D. I used to draw Sonic in my notebooks and every saturday I'd try to catch Sonic X on 4Kids. Even after I didn't have my GC anymore, I still got excited for every Sonic game that came out, and even back then when I was like 12, I managed to enjoy Sonic 06 and didn't even notice the large amount of bugs (even though I did die a lot because of them now that I think about it >_>) and even welcomed the addition of newcomers such as Silver and Chip (don't hate, I thought he was pretty funny, even if his design was odd and had an annoying voice, but then nobody hates Tails do they?)

I'm just saying, it's nice to remember those old times when you were a kid and everything was the way you liked it, but times change and the series has to evolve in some way or form and with the music and design and graphics evolving in the Sonic games now, you have to realize that the games won't go back to being like S3&K for a main Sonic game (maybe for a handheld game or some side game like Sonic 4, but not for a main Sonic game) and the creator I think even stated in an interview they were going to change the direction the series was going to go or something and something about Classic Sonic in this game being the closest they'll have to 2D the way it was in a while, or something. Sorry I can't remember, but I read that months ago and I can't remember where either

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't count that's a pre order bonus :glare:

WHICH I WOULD'VE GOTTEN IF GAMESTOP HADN'T ****ED MY PRE ORDER OVER AND FOR SOME REASON KEPT A RECORD OF IT, BUT NOW I'M STUCK WITHOUT THE DLC BECAUSE APPARENTLY I NEVER PRE ORDERED IT

EDIT:

So I just remembered, I hate Rouge and Shadow's voices in this game. I'm sorry, but Rouge sounds like she WANTS Sonic to **** her and Shadow... well his voice is plain weird. I think he might have a bit of a lisp, but again that's only from like one line in the game so it might've just been the voice actor's first time with him and what now

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
ANYWAYS, after a ton of runs, I'm 11th in Classic Rooftop run with a time of 2'41" or something on the Xbox version.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok so for real, I think I actually like Modern Planet Wisp now and like Classic Planet Wisp a bit more. After playing it for the nth time already to get rings and unlockables and what not, I think they're finally starting to warm up to me

They also provide me a challenge as well that the rest of the levels don't give me. Classic Planet Wisp can still suck my **** though

And I finally thought of what Modern Super Sonic should've been. Should've been Acceleration, Speed Up, and Trick Mastery and take away the part where he flies to boost. That would've been perfect. Acceleration just makes Sonic so god damn finicky it'd have been perfect for Super Sonic who's also finicky. Speed Up and Trick Mastery are pretty obvious, and as an added bonus Super Sonic should have infinite boost.... which I couldn't put on because no space and I didn't want to die in one hit anyways

That would've made Super Sonic perfect and that's about as close as we're getting to it

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Ok so for real, I think I actually like Modern Planet Wisp now and like Classic Planet Wisp a bit more. After playing it for the nth time already to get rings and unlockables and what not, I think they're finally starting to warm up to me

They also provide me a challenge as well that the rest of the levels don't give me. Classic Planet Wisp can still suck my **** though

And I finally thought of what Modern Super Sonic should've been. Should've been Acceleration, Speed Up, and Trick Mastery and take away the part where he flies to boost. That would've been perfect. Acceleration just makes Sonic so god damn finicky it'd have been perfect for Super Sonic who's also finicky. Speed Up and Trick Mastery are pretty obvious, and as an added bonus Super Sonic should have infinite boost.... which I couldn't put on because no space and I didn't want to die in one hit anyways

That would've made Super Sonic perfect and that's about as close as we're getting to it
The best Super Sonic was in Sonic Colors.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Can someone tell me why the common complaint in this game amongst all reviewers is the lack of replayability, even though there's enough replayability in this game to keep someone entertained for at least a week? Like seriously it's as if they played all the important levels and completely ignored all the achievements, red rings, and bonus missions which keep you playing for a LOOOOONG time. I want them to go collect all the red rings, beat every level with an S rank, beat every boss on Hard mode with an S rank, get every achievement, get every red ring, and play all 90 bonus missions and then come back and tell me that there is no replayability in this game. Literally I 100%ed the game myself (well 98% since there's 2 achievements I'm missing, which I'm not even going to try to attempt because the final boss sucks **** and there's no way in hell I can even not get in the water once in Chemical Plant Zone) and I can tell you that there is indeed enough content in the game to make you feel accomplished when you beat it all and keep you entertained for the longest time

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'm warming up to classic Planet Wisp, in a way.
I need 3 more achiements >.<

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me why the common complaint in this game amongst all reviewers is the lack of replayability, even though there's enough replayability in this game to keep someone entertained for at least a week? Like seriously it's as if they played all the important levels and completely ignored all the achievements, red rings, and bonus missions which keep you playing for a LOOOOONG time. I want them to go collect all the red rings, beat every level with an S rank, beat every boss on Hard mode with an S rank, get every achievement, get every red ring, and play all 90 bonus missions and then come back and tell me that there is no replayability in this game. Literally I 100%ed the game myself (well 98% since there's 2 achievements I'm missing, which I'm not even going to try to attempt because the final boss sucks **** and there's no way in hell I can even not get in the water once in Chemical Plant Zone) and I can tell you that there is indeed enough content in the game to make you feel accomplished when you beat it all and keep you entertained for the longest time
The don't touch the water one is super easy. I got it on my first shot. Just go look up a video on it.
The final boss fight one is ******** though.That boss fight doesn't even make sense

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
My favorite review complaints so far are

1) complaining about "cheap" bottomless pits, depite the fact there are gigantic orange pulsating warning signs above every pit

2) that the stages are, I **** you not, "retreks of stages from previous games."

3) that there are levels from 06 and Unleashed in the game. Nothing to say about how good the level is now, just the fact that levels exist in this game.

Oh yeah, and there was a reviewer that docked points simply because "All Hail Shadow" was in the game. In the Shadow boss fight.......which would only come on if Shadow gets super-charged by the meteors.....if you even let him get that far........and even if you did, the song would only last 15-30 seconds.........yeah, he was just salty for the sake of being salty.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
1) complaining about "cheap" bottomless pits, depite the fact there are gigantic orange pulsating warning signs above every pit
To their credit, I'm going to say that they do pass by pretty quick or they're not as noticeable (Like in Modern Crisis City), but besides that, they're ****ing idiots for at least not seeing that there's a sign there and that there's a giant gaping pit where you die right in front of them.

2) that the stages are, I **** you not, "retreks of stages from previous games."
You're being serious right? How the **** can that be a complaint if the entire reason the game was made was to celebrate Sonic's birthday by going back to previous stages

3) that there are levels from 06 and Unleashed in the game. Nothing to say about how good the level is now, just the fact that levels exist in this game.

You also forgot Planet Wisp in there, and what the **** man, I hate those complaints too. The levels are amazing in this game, and the music is absolutely beautiful (except for Classic Planet Wisp, that song is blegh). Hell, they even improved on everything in the stage. Crisis City isn't buggy anymore, Rooftop Run is longer, harder, and more fun now, and Planet Wisp is reimagined in 3D and while Classic Planet Wisp sucks, Modern Planet Wisp is actually enjoyable when you play it a couple of times and get to know the level and its quirks.

And besides, complaining that 06 is included in this game is stupid, because as I've said before:

IT WAS SONIC'S 15TH ANNIVERSARY GAME

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Oh yeah, and there was a reviewer that docked points simply because "All Hail Shadow" was in the game. In the Shadow boss fight.......which would only come on if Shadow gets super-charged by the meteors.....if you even let him get that far........and even if you did, the song would only last 15-30 seconds.........yeah, he was just salty for the sake of being salty.

****ers.
That's a good song.

BSP

Smash Legend
My favorite review complaints so far are

Why I don't look at any reviews now except from people I can actually see playing the game lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So what's your guys' best time on Green Hill Zone Act 2?

I'm in the top 150 right now, gonna keep going. Just gotta figure out how that one guy got 1:40

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I got I think 1:48 on Act 2 of Green Hill?

I know I'm in the top 30s somewhere in there, if you're on XBL my GT is Raving Rarity

And I also need that achievement. I got the Chemical Plant one, but that boss one is ridiculously hard and needless so I'm going to pretend I have 100% done, but really I don't

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I think 1'51" for act 2.
I can't get under 1'50" and I've followed Weber's advice...

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think 1'51" for act 2.
I can't get under 1'50" and I've followed Weber's advice...
Not sure what you're doing that doesn't put you under 1'50"

but here's another little trick. After doing two tricks off the first rainbow loop on the high path, immediately use the stomp. That'll send you to the ground immediately and you can boost from there instead of waiting to land.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I remember that my best time with skills was 1:46, and that's even messing up this one part that normally shaves off a second or two of my time

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
So, how do you guys rank up on the leaderboards?
I know I'm 12th in classic City Escape with a time of, about, 1:32.
For classic Rooftop Run and classic Planet Wisp, I believe I'm in the top 20.
(Xbox 360 version)

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I haven't even tried doing any leaderboards anything yet. Dunno why but I just don't feel the urge to speed run this game even though it's perfect for it.

Also, Classic Crisis City is seriously my favorite stage. I loathe the part after you get trolled by the goalpost with the wind and all but still. It's such a great stage with great music, a great stage layout, and awesome asthetics. Too bad it's initial potential went down the drain with Sonic 06.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
New time is 1:44:99 for Green Hill Zone Act 2.

Top 50 woo woo.

[EDIT]

I also had the perfect speed run going. Beating all of my times by 1 second each and all, and then as I hit the spring and try to boost to stomp the bridge? My X-button decides not to work. Maybe it was because I was at it for a long time and my sense of responding was off, but still...

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU--

It might have even beaten the world record!

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Jeez.
I tried to run modern Green Hill today and I STILL can't get under 1:50.

Top Bottom