• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
Why does no one go for the set up of ledge D-Throw > Fair.
It's great as it can meteor them low enough to force vertical recovery if they di away and if they di in they are sent far away.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
It's great as it can meteor them low enough to force vertical recovery if they di away and if they di in they are sent far away.
Many characters can do things like Nair out of it at lower percents.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
if they di' its very hard to hit, and lots of chars have quick rising nairs to counter it if you are slow enough. overall its risky when you can upthrow and pretty much always get something off it.

also some chars its just damn hard to hit.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
What the above folks said.

That being said, I go for this all the time (probably too much). Unlike in that clip from Lex__ though, I usually try a short hop before going out.

I feel like if I just run off, my spacing is almost always off (I'm too low). If I try SH off, my timing is off and/or they've been given enough time to get a hitbox out. So it feels like a damned if I do, damned if I don't sort of thing.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
I usually just follow with a SideB offstage and then stuff their double jump with a Nair and set up an edgeguard back air.

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
What I do is, I do it right next to ledge so that I can do it immediately.

It's an underrated set up.

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, SH Late fair is usually the best option since it will send them away or down.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
nair is also an under apreciated move, very easy to hit, specially when using rising aerial off the edge with it, you can easily gimp lots of characters with all hitboxes, late or early.

Edit : Im stupid wrote fair instead of nair.

Also anyone noticed how silly sonics grab box on his jumps, you get like 1.5x when you not jumping.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed something while messing around in training mode. I've noticed from time to time Sonic's Down-b will suddenly seem to just cancel on a platform when I screw up an input. I think I just figured out what it is.

I'm sure this is well known already, but just for funzies I thought I'd make a video.

The platforms on Battlefield (and possibly other stages? I dunno, didn't test any others) seem to be just the right height for the following to work: Down-b on the ground, then jump and just as Sonic reaches the height of the platform, double-jump -> wave-dash. When done just right, it almost seems like Sonic just stops his down-b spinning instantly. As you can see in the video, my timing is not great, but I got it just about right once or twice and toward the end I think you can see that it may be faster than canceling with l-canceled d-air.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
It'd be faster and safer to learn to autocancel your uair on startup than do what you're saying outright, since you don't lose your DJ if you happen to be hit before you hit the ground. Uair is frame perfect to cancel(and my god does it annoy when you do, but not as bad as fair, mind).

For those not in the know, uair can autocancel on a platform as you're rising through it, and instead of performing the move you just find yourself standing there with no landing lag. It's frame perfect on jump, you have ~2 frames to pull it off on spring on FoD and Battlefield's top platforms, and good luck timing it on Delfino's secret.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. That was entirely unknown tech for me. That is one small window though and I can't for the life of me get it to work out of down-b.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I would only try vs characters with really bad vertical recovery like bowser and DK, and I would still only do it when reaching mid percents since if people meteor cancel quick enough it will put Sonic in a bad position. On a side note, people need more nair on shield to DACG (Dash Attack cancel grab) and more Downthrow into rapid down b in their life.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
So yeah. 3.6 Sonic is permanent. I'm thinking about getting back into this game now that there are no more updates.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
So yeah. 3.6 Sonic is permanent. I'm thinking about getting back into this game now that there are no more updates.
Hot dog! This was one of the first positive things I thought after first hearing the disbandment news.

Welcome back! Come help us develop some serious meta, eh?

Sour_

Smash Rookie
Hi, i wanted to know or to get a better understanding on what it is that people find annoying about sonic? I had an idea before but now i just think its because he spins around lol

Duum

Smash Rookie
Hi, i wanted to know or to get a better understanding on what it is that people find annoying about sonic? I had an idea before but now i just think its because he spins around lol
I think that a good amount of it is that Sonic forces a specific playstyle to fight against. Most people realize that committing a move against sonic allows him to easily punish because of his speed, so they end up becoming campy. Sonic is a bait and punish character and can be campy in return. Most people find this campy playstyle boring.

That's my 2 cents anyway

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I don't think there's an specific element of his playstyle that makes him annoying to other people per se, it's likely the fact that a lot of his moves look and sound similar. Sonic is inherently an annoying character in terms of voice and appearance to some people as well so that might be part of it haha

Last edited:

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Was reviewing some old Wizzy CEO and Darky videos in my harddrive, I noticed that they move/get around the stage pretty fast compared to how I play, anyone here wanna share how they fare in doing/practicing perfect wavelands?

Top Bottom