• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Maybe you should stop being bad.

...no really spin still has a good time. You just can't spam it. I might be drunk right now but seriously man don't spam it what. Espy you are considered a good Sonic in Brawl you know that against 'good players' you can't just auto-pilot that. Srsly why even... yeah man. Spin is useless against good players if you use it wrong.
Well, at least you're humoring me. :applejack:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So I was looking at the frame data for Sonic's moves, and a thought occurred to me: is Sonic's nair capable of applying enough pressure to allow d/side special function as a pseudo shine? I looked at the info that Shell gave us, which states that the strong hit on nair is 0 on block, which means that if you use it like you would Falco's dair (waiting until you hit their shield to activate the aerial, then fastfalling as soon as you make contact) you will essentially be on an even playing field with your opponent. Nair has 7 frames of landing lag when you l-cancel, two frames less than Falco's dair and considerably less than Lucas's nair/fair (a comparable character in terms of shield pressure). Both Sonic's down special and side special have 6 frames of startup, meaning that both beat out most shield grabs by about 1 frame.

This form of shield pressure is comparable to Lucas. His magnet has 5 frames of startup, which compensates for the longer landing lag on his aerials. However, it is definitely inferior to the shield pressure spacies can apply.

Uses for this depend on the special you decide to use. If you use down special you can sit there and eat their shield until they either decide to get hit or you are forced to move. If you use side special you might be able to pivot grab after you slide by them (unconfirmed, but I'll test it to see if it works).

Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts about what Sonic can do with his new, stronger nair. I might be way off base, but I doubt it. I'll see if I can do some testing to confirm this. Until then, what do you guys think?

Edit: I was unable to do the pivot grab after the side b.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You're probably safer grabbing most characters out of sideB by either sticking behind them, or getting behind them via wavedashing out of sideB rather than trying a pivot grab of any kind.

Spacing would be kinda tight, but it's doable against characters with flimsly oos options. :applejack:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Sorry about that. It's when you are standing one way, and you immediately turn around and grab behind you. If you do it fast enough, you go through a different animation that often has more range than a regular standing grab.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So I'm working on my air-to-ground transition game. It's probably my worst area. I've found a simple way to improve it, but it feels so foreign to me I keep forgetting basic things 'cause I have to mentally block myself from doing a terrible idea, and that sort of just freezes my hands. I know it's not very Sonic related, but eh it's the social thread and I consider myself a pretty good Sonic. Top 5 Sonics out there right now.

Speaking of good Sonic's, Darky's looking pretty good out there. Hey Darky, where do you live - is there a lot of competition where you are? I've been making due to wifi for now, hopefully it's enough to stay relevant on the competitive stage.

Also, who else hates fighting Luigi?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Luigi's design inherently conflicted with Sonic's in Brawl because it had some of the polar opposite attributes. Namely, startup/cooldown on moves, and incredibly high priority. It also didn't help that Luigi could KO incredibly early by comparison.

Luigi sure as hell isn't much different in P:M. He's just faster on the ground because wavedashing is back. Sonic on the other hand traded in excellent mixups and a powerful recovery for higher KO power, stronger ledge pressure, and, as far as this match is concerned, a superior fair.

I doubt that the underlying mechanics honestly changed that much. With the changes, Luigi's harder to keep locked up in one spot, but now if Sonic gets him off the stage, he should stay off because fair and the nerf to the ledge game.

At the same time, if Sonic gets off stage it's going to be hell to get back on.

Luigi will always be a pain in the ass. He's just a giant block of high priority, and Sonic struggles with characters like that by default.

:applejack:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So I'm working on my air-to-ground transition game. It's probably my worst area. I've found a simple way to improve it, but it feels so foreign to me I keep forgetting basic things 'cause I have to mentally block myself from doing a terrible idea, and that sort of just freezes my hands. I know it's not very Sonic related, but eh it's the social thread and I consider myself a pretty good Sonic. Top 5 Sonics out there right now.

Speaking of good Sonic's, Darky's looking pretty good out there. Hey Darky, where do you live - is there a lot of competition where you are? I've been making due to wifi for now, hopefully it's enough to stay relevant on the competitive stage.

Also, who else hates fighting Luigi?
What have you been using? The nair to down-b combo helps if you stack up on someone's shield. You could also jab them and then grab. Retreating and dash dancing is also an option if you don't feel comfortable.

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I live in Haverstraw, New York, there's not really any competition here and I would love to go to APEX but sadly I'll be busy those days. :( I usually play on Wi-fi.
Fighting Luigi is annoying cuz of that N-air combo breaker so what I usually do is bait it out.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
What have you been using? The nair to down-b combo helps if you stack up on someone's shield. You could also jab them and then grab. Retreating and dash dancing is also an option if you don't feel comfortable.
I make more mention that I always attack a shield 100% of the time, but also I tend to release the control stick before preforming another action, which has led to frequent tech errors, such as dash attacking when meaning to pivot-jab, or ftilt, or a dash grab when meaning to pivot grab... Now I'm working on just slowing my hand down, and just gliding the control stick where it needs to go so I can react quicker and actually do what I want without looking like a spaz on the controller. Again, it's more player-based and less character based.

Also, Darky, I live in a place where no competition lives within 90 minutes of driving(sans sparring partner(30 minutes) but the same person cannot effectively foster growth if they themselves do not take getting better seriously), and the wifi competition is roughly 4 hours away, or I just hit up random people at DBDI. You're an hour away from bleedin' New York, man, how can there be no competition there? Not calling you out, btw, I just don't know the area(but I'll probably ask at APEX).

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
It can be really tough to get out there if you're still in school. It wasn't until I had graduated college that I had the time and resources to drive out to the competitive scene.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'm going to xanadu tomorrow. I'll try my best to get on stream so I can bring some videos for you guys. Don't get your hopes up though, you'll probably end up helping me more with your advice than I will help you with my gameplay.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I'm going to xanadu tomorrow. I'll try my best to get on stream so I can bring some videos for you guys. Don't get your hopes up though, you'll probably end up helping me more with your advice than I will help you with my gameplay.
we all help each other in some way or another, and I find it fun to see different sonic users with different playstyles.

Gogetaex

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3285-6584
Hey there, and a Happy New Year's to you all. Really lookin' to step up my Sonic gameplay, I wish I could either upload videos from my Wii, or buy a PC so I could play online with y'all, but anyways, I'd like to start off with a question. Can't seem to get the gatling down, any tips?

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
I think they should've fixed Sonic's Final Smash.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Hey there, and a Happy New Year's to you all. Really lookin' to step up my Sonic gameplay, I wish I could either upload videos from my Wii, or buy a PC so I could play online with y'all, but anyways, I'd like to start off with a question. Can't seem to get the gatling down, any tips?
Are you trying to do the gatling usmash? Try to time it so the first hitboxes make contact with your opponent. Sonic's dash attack comes out crazy fast, so you need to bereallyclose to your opponent before you start it. I'm not sure why you'd want to use it, however. Sonic's usmash is notoriously poor.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Well, I personally find it usefull when a lucario wants to mix up his recovery by going over me, or other characters in similar situations. but those require hard reads

GabPR

Smash Lord
have you tried it with tap jump? I used to play with tap jump off until recently, where I tried spinshot with tap jump and found the timing easier. as for ledge drop spinshots, its harder to practice the different timings if you havent gotten used to spinshot itself.

Gogetaex

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3285-6584
Are you trying to do the gatling usmash? Try to time it so the first hitboxes make contact with your opponent. Sonic's dash attack comes out crazy fast, so you need to bereallyclose to your opponent before you start it. I'm not sure why you'd want to use it, however. Sonic's usmash is notoriously poor.
And then what exactly is the best input to go about doing it? Just dash attack with a, then up on the C-Stick?

GabPR

Smash Lord
I recently made a spinshot guide which I posted in this thread, its recent so if you scroll up you should find it. Hope it helps EDIT: ITS IN THE VIDEO THREAD,
NOT THIS ONE

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Yeah I created a name for the spinshot myself, but playing with tapjump is a big change - too big so close to APEX methinks. I can still do it somewhat, but I'm gonna have to leave ledge shenanigans to the lab.

GabPR

Smash Lord
since there is stil more than a week giving it ir a try would not hurt, but I would not reccomend changing to tap jump if you find it too big of a change to adjust. If that is the case you can still keep practicing with the jump button. While not as easy, its posible to do it consISTENTLY WITH PRACTICE

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
No. Super Sonic is the best final smash because Sonic is the best.
That's not a good enough reason.

ALL YOU DO IS FLOAT AROUND AND HOPE YOU HIT THEM AND HOPE YOU KNOCK OUT SOMEBODY. You do a "reasonable amount of damage" and the only time you can knock them out is when their damage is extremely high. And after you knock out everybody, they just have to wait until there let back on the field- automatically- and wait for Sonic's Final Smash to end and knock him out IMMEDIATELY afterwards. The necessary elements are there, and I don't want Sonic's Final Smash to be overpowered. But I think they need to be improved upon just a bit more.

Last edited:

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
I'm not saying it is or that it should be. This is just my opinion. If you want me to break it down for you a little more, I can.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Left right left Super Sonic is the most amazing Final smash besides going LandMaster and dragging an opponent into the blastzone

Top Bottom