• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's my favorite character!

Fast! Great at racking up damage, and can kill easily in any direction.
up down left right, spin spin spin to win the fight!

Through experimenting I have found a few 'tricks' that you may or may not already know.

Spin Maneuvers (light tap) to Jump-Canceled Grab
Its awesome and works wonders at low to high percents.
please let me know if you can do it with a SM that hops a bit.
The new utilt is Great! and it chains too!
My favorite move is running then holding down and slamming the c-stick in the opposite direction

a few mixups that work well are:

Moonwalk into spin
Moonwalk into dash attack
DAC Grab (the Dash attack can still hit but it is not a gattling combo :( )
A grounded spring near the edge can be useful
Blast attack into homing attack (apparently its possible)
Canceling spin charge into ANYTHING

I left out all the stuff thats possible with wavedashing

also jab to grab at low percents sometimes works. Can't figure out how to do it constantly.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The 1st hit of side B starts to send the opponent pretty far away on the 1st hit, especially at high percents, so it's much less likely to work, if at all.

Also, I dont think Sonic is very good at verticle KOs, as usmash doesnt have really good set ups.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
For vertical kills I use sonic just like charazard,
sometimes i use a launcher to get them up there but mainly they fly high from a failed kill attempt
so a quick upB to uair or nair can seal the deal.
Vertical killing is probably less effective but its still a Great Option (except on stages with very high ceilings like Dreamland)

Moonwalk to spin:
well its just a mix up but the idea is run away from the opponent the moonwalk towards them and use downB.
It can catch someone off guard and lead to a few good combos.
moonwalk to most things works well but i find MW to Spin or grab to work the most
Moonwalk to dash attack:
I use this for fake outs and DAC Grabing it works all the better.

I hate being predictable so I tend to use as many mixups as I can.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I saw Hamyojo's Sonic video that showed off Sonic's movement capabilities. I bring that up to say this, how do you think Sonic's platform game has changed? In 2.1 plays were bad since they blocked his Homing Attack, but now he can side B off of them into whatever. So do you think he's better with them now? I personally feel he does better with platforms than most of the cast now.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Ok, so I saw Hamyojo's Sonic video that showed off Sonic's movement capabilities. I bring that up to say this, how do you think Sonic's platform game has changed? In 2.1 plays were bad since they blocked his Homing Attack, but now he can side B off of them into whatever. So do you think he's better with them now? I personally feel he does better with platforms than most of the cast now.
I feel like his ability to jump out of his reversed down b gives him amazing movement and stage mobility. Possibly some of the best in the game.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Spinshotting: when you are in the air, start up downB, release, and then immediately jump. This gives you a forward jump that flies much further than a normal double jump.

So, yes, you were talking about spinshotting =P

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The giver of life for Sonic has arrived.

Welcome cmart.

Well since the BR is our home. You should drop by so i can bombard you with BR only video links. <3

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think platforms are still just as bad for Sonic.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I think he's a bit more capable on platforms now though. Especially since raising fair and uair can platform poke and they both AC. And Side B edge cancels, letting you b-reverse off the ledge or DJ onto something else.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think he's a bit more capable on platforms now though. Especially since raising fair and uair can platform poke and they both AC. And Side B edge cancels, letting you b-reverse off the ledge or DJ onto something else.
I feel like he might slightly before than before but overall still not that good with platforms, Platforms still get in the way of Sonic's Homing attack which was the main problem before. For approaching characters on platforms, Fair and Uair are better now so I could see rising fair and Uair being safe but not leading to anything, and Side B edge cancels sound good as long as they are not shielding lol.

Side B seems like the only good move for approaching vs characters on platforms, just like it was in 2.1

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Depends on how you use rising Fair and uair though. I know like a retreating Fair leads to grabs mad easy due to hitstun because it's a strong meteor. it's just that you typically have to do it asap and cant always react to the result. Especially at low percents.

Also, you can dtilt/utilt after a successful rising uair to launch and follow up iirc. If you dont hit them with the second hit, just try to keep it safe with an ftilt.

of course this is for when you're level with them.

If Sonic is on the platform and you're trying to approach from above, you can always do something risky like a drop down spincharge into grab. You just have to be quick with it. If you're quick enough, you can even FF the spincharge.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
As mentioned in Smashmods, JC Grabbing out of Spin Maneuvers (Side B) is pretty awesome. lol

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
Can some explain blast attack and how to execute it? Also I think wizzrobe or some other good sonic player should start a thread for discussion about sonic tech and keep a list of them with video links if possible, that way when I read about something I can see it done. Thanks all.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Can some explain blast attack and how to execute it? Also I think wizzrobe or some other good sonic player should start a thread for discussion about sonic tech and keep a list of them with video links if possible, that way when I read about something I can see it done. Thanks all.
Blast attack is the Faster version of the Homing Attack (neutral B)

to execute it, press neutral B to start up the Homing attack and then press A right after, the moment you press A it should come out instantly.

Blast attack lets you cancel into other moves the moment it hits, while the normal Homing attack has ending lag so it can't really cancel.

I have also been wanting to have videos of a bunch of Sonic's moves and techniques so I can show off exactly how it looks. I don't have any recording equipment but if I get videos of me in tournament I can post those and direct you to what part of the video the technique is shown off at.

But for now, there is this

http://smashmods.com/forum/thread-5884.html

Click on the spoiler button near the bottom of the OP, that explains a lot of his moves

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
Sick dude thanks a lot. I just tried out BA and the pressure options are pretty much endless. BA > SM > slidekick is so OP on FFers.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Sick dude thanks a lot. I just tried out BA and the pressure options are pretty much endless. BA > SM > slidekick is so OP on FFers.
It's awesome, I think Down B is the best option out of BA.

once your on the ground spinning, turn around as you end up behind them, jump repeat the BA to down B, its hard to do at first but its great pressure on shield or just a really good combo I'm trying to find a video showing it off.

What I'm talking about in the last sentence looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhDcNjm5A0 0:55-0:57 ]

(Keep in mind this is 2.1, the only difference with this technique in 2.1 is that you can cancel out of Homing attack While in 2.5 you have to cancel out of Blast Attack

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I have also been wanting to have videos of a bunch of Sonic's moves and techniques so I can show off exactly how it looks. I don't have any recording equipment but if I get videos of me in tournament I can post those and direct you to what part of the video the technique is shown off at.
I have a recording device, and could probably put together a simple vid/vids for some Sonic tricks. Did you have any tricks in mind o(ther than BA/slidekick/spinshotting)?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I have a recording device, and could probably put together a simple vid/vids for some Sonic tricks. Did you have any tricks in mind o(ther than BA/slidekick/spinshotting)?
Workin' on one, may have it out tomorrow, may or not be any good.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
@Seth

Outside of applications for BA, Slidekick edgeguards, and spinshotting, I think something good to touch on would be some follow ups out of throws. I play Sonic occasionally because I think he's a fun character (now) but I'm having trouble finding followups for throws. Reason I bring this up is because you could also touch on JC grab out of sideb. You could perhaps also touch on some other neat sideb tricks and followups.

:b Looking forward to the video!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
So I'm trying to find some uses for hitting with aerial down b and fast fall dair.

I know FF Dair can be used as an effective edge guard because of it's slow slow decent and if you're lucky, you can get the spike portion of the hitbox.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
@Seth

Outside of applications for BA, Slidekick edgeguards, and spinshotting, I think something good to touch on would be some follow ups out of throws. I play Sonic occasionally because I think he's a fun character (now) but I'm having trouble finding followups for throws. Reason I bring this up is because you could also touch on JC grab out of sideb. You could perhaps also touch on some other neat sideb tricks and followups.

:b Looking forward to the video!
Up-throw is what I recommend you use the most. If they end up directly above you, you can hit them with a nair if they are not too high above you. If they are too high above you to do nair, hit them with the tip of your Uair.

If they DI slightly in front of you I always do a spiked fair to send them straight down for a jab reset if they don't tech, or if they do tech you just techchase them or whatever. (However, fast-fallers are totally different, as they fall to the ground very soon after you U-throw at low %, which is where I Side B them before they land on the ground to tech or whatever. If the fast-faller is at high-ish percents you can nair them as they will be in the air long enough for you to do that.

If your are near the ledge you can F-throw them to Fair, as a lot of people use their DJ as soon as they are out of hitstun while offstage. I also use D-throw when throwing people offstage as I can sometimes do a dropzone fair depending on the character.
So I'm trying to find some uses for hitting with aerial down b and fast fall dair.

I know FF Dair can be used as an effective edge guard because of it's slow slow decent and if you're lucky, you can get the spike portion of the hitbox.
I posted about what you can do out of aerial down B in my last post. (although I mentioned how I would first do BA then down B)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Ah- thanks wizzy! I'll keep that in mind. I had no idea what to do out of throws before so I would just dd camp fthrow ppl off the stage continously lololol

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Like it's been said. Someone should compile whats happened in the last few posts. Explanations of moves etc... and start a "guide" post. Include the videos for the moves and stuff, start building on it now. Preferably someone that is "good" or at least in the Back Room should do it, and that person should be someone that knows they are capable of updating it as needed.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I posted about what you can do out of aerial down B in my last post. (although I mentioned how I would first do BA then down B)
I must be blind cuz I totally am missing it.

Like it's been said. Someone should compile whats happened in the last few posts. Explanations of moves etc... and start a "guide" post. Include the videos for the moves and stuff, start building on it now. Preferably someone that is "good" or at least in the Back Room should do it, and that person should be someone that knows they are capable of updating it as needed.
I can probably do it. Just not on my own.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm missing the post in question actually.

I skimmed up and didnt see any uses for aerial down b hitbox. (not using aerial down b to reach the ground and hit with the grounded hitbox but the actual hitbox of the aerial down b)

And I didnt see any methods on how/where/when to use blast attack.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Yeah, everyone can help. That's the purpose of the thread. Someone that can just reliably update, and is down to make it good should do it.

:phone:

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I'm enjoying sonic much more in 2.5 than in 2.1. I mained sonic in the original demo and got away from him in 2.1 because in all honesty, i didn't like the way he turned out. He was to weak and lost to about everything and he didn't fit the type of play style that I like. It 2.5 he seems and feels much more like a real melee character. I think, in my overall opinion (even with the players that were doing well with him) that he was buffed more than he was nerfed. Only time will tell though.

I do think, that with his current build, I can go back to maining him over Lucario and Falco. He is my favorite game character after all.

Also, does anyone know who I would talk to about having my Tag changed? I'm picking up the name "Hashtag". Using it in quite a few games that I play and would like to use it for Smash too.

Top Bottom