• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic: Better with Custom Moves or not?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Been playing a good amount with ZeRo recently. So far: BSD is really good against Diddy, we both feel hammer spin dash is gimmicky/not too useful (but I'll be trying some tricks from Jungle's video on him soon), and I know this may be hard to believe but double spring is actually good. Like, annoys ZeRo good.

As we practice with customs more I'll update ya'll.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is double spring strong enough to effect barrels? Cuz that'd be pretty good.

:093:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
The hop angle is actually a lot better for recovery not sure where that con came from.
Mostly due to my lack of envisionment as I'd only tested it for long range recoveries. I do see HSD being great as an upclose recovery and as a legitimate option when hanging onto a ledge.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I-I kinda like BSD now??

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
BSD is quite good on paper: the lower SDJ/SCJ keeps your feet right on the ground, which is essential for Sonic's gameplay.

Still have mixed feelings about the jump being auto BSBS'd.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
BSD is quite good on paper: the lower SDJ/SCJ keeps your feet right on the ground, which is essential for Sonic's gameplay.
Yeah, Sonic feels... Safer. I like the low mobility. Also, SDJ, land, and follow-up feels amazing. I combo'd SDJ into Fsmash and it was swank.
Still have mixed feelings about the jump being auto BSBS'd.
I noticed this.

I was getting really frustrated.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Is double spring strong enough to effect barrels? Cuz that'd be pretty good.

Oh yeah it hits the barrels.

If the lower jump is what you like about BSD but you still want hammer spind dash then you should run gravitational down B.

M2K feels the same about hammer spin dash btw. Very gimmicky move, especially against Diddy kong.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
When it comes to singles, both sideb customs are superior to the default.

FFlame spindash is the best in the majority of situations and fpr the time being, most people think the really laggy stop on shield is some kind of cancel so we dont roll through them and jump, which means they dont punish it lol.

Imo the only times where hammer is better is against aerial based chatacters, wario, toon llink, yoshi, puff and the like. HHammer gives us greater ability to chase them in the air when thwy are vulnerable. so we dont have to wait for them to land

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Realistically, I don't think we can keep relying on people not knowing how to punish it. That's the Brawl Sonic meta right there.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im not saying to rely on it. Im saying its an added bonus on top of the fact that its a better move to begin with.

Hotroit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hotroit
I've tested and confirmed that Burning Spin Dash can:
1. Completely ignore both the sapling and tree of Timber Counter.
2. Completely ignore Diddy's normal banana peel AND make it disappear upon contact.
3. Completely ignore both Sheik's normal AND Penetrating Needles.
(When I say "ignore," I mean completely go through without stopping.)

Oh, and I completely agree with the fact that Sonic is safer using BSD. Sonic thrives on the ground, ready to punish any mistake that the opponent might make. BSD allows him to reset to a standing ground position much faster than the normal Spin Dash does, due to its low hop. The horrible lag upon connecting with a shield is also largely mitigated by jumping out of Spin Dash right before hitting it. You can even throw out an Uair immediately to create a hitbox. However, I feel like it's worth noting that that Uair seems to be Sonic's only aerial that can be used out of BSD without incurring ANY landing lag, which can get predictable. Homing Attack and Spring are still viable mixups out of BSD, though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Homing attack combos out of flame spindash.

Bair can also be auto canceled out of flame spindash jump. You just have to do it immediately as soon as you jump.

Also, the iimportance of down b to bair with the low jump that comes with flame spindash can not be over stated.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You can combo BSD Jump into Fsmash.

It's beautiful.

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
Sonic's customs aren't versatile enough for my taste. In the two months I mained him I got on fine without customs.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
His customs are okay. At least you can make it so you have a use for all of your moves.

I run hammer even I like burning the best but I wish it was for his down b instead so we could have the hammer Spindash with it. If you use the bsd you have two speacials that are basically the same.

It's a shame that he has such ****y voice acting in this game. Also why did they ruin sonic's model for this game? The one in brawl was fine but this ones spines are completely stupid and the one in the back of his head is completely weird now and his new weird*** mouth is just so terrible looking. It is so lazy. It's just a texture and it never changes except for when he taunts or springs then it changes to an idiotic side grin that is even worse looking. I mean wow i guess I just have to stick with brawl/pm Sonic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom