• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that conserns both the Wii-U and 3DS versions of the game.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Think of it this way. If the U version came out first, fans of the game that would ever consider buying the console just for smash would do so instead of waiting half a year for the less attractive 3ds version. Then, when the 3ds version would be released, the much less painful price of the 3ds would be more feasable for purchasing a second version of a game you already own. But the way they are doing it, good luck getting the broad, casual fan base to throw down 400 bucks for game they've already been playing for six months.
I think it's easy to get wrapped up in the belief that Nintendo's primary concern should be to make the Wii U profitable. I'd argue that Nintendo, as a business currently under a lot of pressure to go mobile by investors, currently have a primary focus on making a profit for next financial year. While I hate that it's probably true, I understand it - Nintendo are clearly vehemently against porting their titles to mobile, and therefore are backing the 3DS to the hilt in order to make themselves profitable. The Wii U is a far greater risk right now than the 3DS, and I can understand why they may prioritize the 3DS as a means to become profitable at a cost of throwing the Wii U under the bus.

I understand it - I just don't like it. I invested in a console I want to see supported to the hilt - I can just about get behind a 3DS focused 2014 for monetary reasons, so long as 2015 sees a renewed focus on reviving the Wii U.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm sorry, but I can't argue with you it seems. Where are your facts? You're just assuming a lot of things and call that "facts".

I'm also assuming and I'm just saying I THINK the Wii U version will sell better because certain kinds of games, like fighting games, don't do very well on portables. But you keep saying that you're right, that your view is the reality and that your opinions are facts.

It's people like you who fuels the stereotype image of British people. :-( I'm out of discussion with you, period.

Where are his facts? Have you not been reading his posts about sales numbers and the 3DS install base? The example applies to anything.

15 Cars (3DS) and 5 Trucks (Wii U) are going to use gas (Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U). Which will buy more gas? Cars or Trucks?

CARS. Because they are MORE cars than trucks.

Does that make sense? That's as basic as I can make it.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Where are his facts? Have you not been reading his posts about sales numbers and the 3DS install base? The example applies to anything.

15 Cars (3DS) and 5 Trucks (Wii U) are going to use gas (Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U). Which will buy more gas? Cars or Trucks?

This guy is a troll. He is as deliberately provocative as he can be - he starts an argument based on little to no point, and builds up as much pretense around his house of cards as he can as people proceed to knock it down. Then he claims that you're either wrong, looking at the wrong thing, or a subscriber to Western moral values. In his threads thus far (three of which have been locked) he's objectified women, implied men are superior to women and claimed that homosexuality is a choice. He's really not worth anybody's time. I doubt he'll he here long.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman

Yes, I read that but also explained how some games simply don't sell regardless of install base. Did you miss that? Someone else certainly did.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Yes, I read that but also explained how some games simply don't sell regardless of install base. Did you miss that? Someone else certainly did.
I understand what you mean, I really do. But point blank its common sense that if the game is available on the 3DS, which has out sold the Wii U by far, (As of December 31, 2013, all Nintendo 3DS models and 2DS models combined have sold 42.74 million units.[9])

That means more people have 3DS than Wii U. I have both. I would LOVE for the Wii U version to outsell the 3DS, but since the 3DS outsells the Wii U by about 35 million, the game is made available to more people.

This guy is a troll. He is as deliberately provocative as he can be - he starts an argument based on little to no point, and builds up as much pretense around his house of cards as he can as people proceed to knock it down. Then he claims that you're either wrong, looking at the wrong thing, or a subscriber to Western moral values. In his threads thus far (three of which have been locked) he's objectified women, implied men are superior to women and claimed that homosexuality is a choice. He's really not worth anybody's time. I doubt he'll he here long.
What? I knew about some of that but he's openly said homosexuailty is a choice in an open thread? What the crap? This is a Smash Bros forum.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I understand what you mean, I really do. But point blank its common sense that if the game is available on the 3DS, which has out sold the Wii U by far, (As of December 31, 2013, all Nintendo 3DS models and 2DS models combined have sold 42.74 million units.[9])

That means more people have 3DS than Wii U. I have both. I would LOVE for the Wii U version to outsell the 3DS, but since the 3DS outsells the Wii U by about 35 million, the game is made available to more people.
Yes, I would fully agree with you if the game in question was Super Mario Galaxy 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Next Chapter. However, the game in question is a fighting game, a genre which has proven unpopular on handheld platforms.

And please note I'm not saying "The 3DS version will never outsell the Wii U version, that's a FACT because fighting games are not popular on handheld platforms".

I'm saying I THINK the Wii U version will outsell the 3DS version because fighting games are not popular on handhelds.

Do we understand each other?

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

What? I knew about some of that but he's openly said homosexuailty is a choice in an open thread? What the crap? This is a Smash Bros forum.
He has. And upon being called on it with studies and statistics he continued onward until the subject was locked. He truly isn't worth arguing with. He's clearly baiting.

I would absolutely love the Wii U to outsell the 3DS - it just isn't going to happen. The Wii U would need to sell an unfeasibly large amount of consoles between now and November for it to have a chance - and considering Nintendo seems to have a focus on 3DS for the reasons I've stated above I just don't see it happening on it's own.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Yes, I would fully agree with you if the game in question was Super Mario Galaxy 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Next Chapter. However, the game in question is a fighting game, a genre which has proven unpopular on handheld platforms.

And please note I'm not saying "The 3DS version will never outsell the Wii U version, that's a FACT because the 3DS has a much larger install base".

I'm saying I THINK the Wii U version will outsell the 3DS version because fighting games are not popular on handhelds.

Do we understand each other?
Do you understand that half of 3DS owners are 8 year olds who break their screen in the first 3 months they own they system? They're going to go to GameStop with daddy while mommy is getting her nails done next door, and see colorful Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby and beg their parents to buy it. Children make up most of the sales, especially with Nintendo. Sure it's a 'fighting' game. But is a Nintendo title.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Do you understand that half of 3DS owners are 8 year olds who break their screen in the first 3 months they own they system? They're going to go to GameStop with daddy while mommy is getting her nails done next door, and see colorful Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby and beg their parents to buy it. Children make up most of the sales, especially with Nintendo. Sure it's a 'fighting' game. But is a Nintendo title.
Could be like that, certainly. But on the other hand, Smash is rated T, in sharp contrast to your avarage Super Mario or Mario Kart.

But let me get back to the previous point I made - do you understand what I mean?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Could be like that, certainly. But on the other hand, Smash is rated T, in sharp contrast to your avarage Super Mario or Mario Kart.

But let me get back to the previous point I made - do you understand what I mean?
Well first of all, this game hasn't been rated yet. Its still pending. The 3DS for all we know could receive an E rating because they graphics can't portray the violence as well.

Besides, parents really don't pay that much attention to ratings. In fact, according to several surveys (procon.org) and actual sales numbers, as more violent video games are sold, crime rates have consistently dropped. So I would doubt parents care Mario is on a T rated game. They'll see Mario and realize he doesn't rip out hearts.

I worked at GameStop for 2 years, and I' have 6 years of retail sales expertise, and that's just on my own merit. I've seen it happen many, many times. Parents come in and buy their 8 year old Call of Duty. They don't give a ****.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Well first of all, this game hasn't been rated yet. Its still pending. The 3DS for all we know could receive an E rating because they graphics can't portray the violence as well.

Besides, parents really don't pay that much attention to ratings. In fact, according to several surveys (procon.org) and actual sales numbers, as more violent video games are sold, crime rates have consistently dropped. So I would doubt parents care Mario is on a T rated game. They'll see Mario and realize he doesn't rip out hearts.

I worked at GameStop for 2 years, and I' have 6 years of retail sales expertise, and that's just on my own merit. I've seen it happen many, many times. Parents come in and buy their 8 year old Call of Duty. They don't give a ****.
True, but Smash 3DS has at least the same graphical quality as Melee did, minus lower resolution. I think it's safe to say the chances of it being rated anything else than T are very low.

I can see that. Kids play Call of Duty and their parents don't care about it. Also explains why GTA sales are so great... I mea, the REAL reason. :-P

So yes, if parents just go in and buy the next 3DS games with Nintendo characters on the cover, then the 3DS version will certainly outsell the Wii U version.

But once again, do you understand my previous reasoning?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I understand what you mean when you refer to the 3DS version as a demo, and I agree, it will be a sweet taster of what's to come on the Wii U. However, considering the amount of stuff we know already about the 3DS, and the rest of the stuff we don't know, I don't think it will be regarded as a "demo" later on." That is, if people will still play the 3DS version once the Wii U version comes out.

I see it as 3 things:
  1. A portable Smash game; the first Smash Brothers gamers can play on the go, and with other people outside of their homes.
  2. An optimistic taste of what's to come on the Wii U version, considering the Wii U's greater technical capabilities, in graphics, performance, and amount of content.
  3. Filler. I don't mean bad Anime filler. Just something to keep us waiting on while we wait for the Wii U version to be released.
Considering the Wii U's current reputation, I really hope that the Wii U Smash Brothers doesn't get overshadowed by the 3DS version. I want the Wii U to succeed, while still keep the 3DS healthy.
Absolutely and even after the Wii-U version comes out the 3DS version is still very significant because you now have a way to sharpen your skills while on a bus or trip or something, I occasionally leave the US to the Dominican Republic but I refuse to bring any of my consoles, I'll bring my handhelds though and if I can practice playing Smash on the handheld I brought with me that's a brilliant selling point in my opinion and the fact that it has different stages and single player modes keeps it very fresh.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hope the 3ds versions outsells the wii u version I want the game to succeed and not fail

Gabeking54

Smash Journeyman
Lmao a game with the same roster as the wii u, 60FPS gameplay, plenty of unique stages, full online, the exclusive smash run mode, unique trophies and connectivity with the wii u version and (I'm assuming) much more that we don't know about at this point which is being developed by a guy notorious for jam packing his games with as much content as possible with his biggest development team to date yet apparently it's a 'demo' because there might not be as many ATs or it may be missing a couple of extra features/content... Jesus Christ

Senario

Smash Ace
Can we all just hope for the best for the game in general? I agree that this could be one of the reasons for releasing the 3DS version first but honestly, all that matters is that the game does well. Casual players likely will buy the 3DS version for convenience, really hardcore smash players have always been interested in getting the Wii U version because no matter what game you play...your controller will get messed up. Oh and it can be streamed for tournaments and stuff + looks better and probably plays more fluidly.

I am getting both versions, I like some 3DS stuff but I have to say I'm not too keen on playing smash bros really hard on 3DS. The system and it's controls are far more valuable to me in the long run than ruining something like a Wii U pro controller. Plus, from a monetary standpoint if you were to buy a new 3DS/XL due to your first one's controls being unresponsive then you would've spent close enough money to get a Wii U instead. Loads of different games to have fun with.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't think many get what he means by demo, he is not saying it a lesser version but the team can use the info to improve the wii u version

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
All in all the 3DS version is pretty much expected to sell more than the WiiU version simply due to the amount of 3DS owners out there in addition to the games coming out on the 3DS is pretty dry in the latter half of the year.

I mean I honestly don't think there is any 'perfect' release plan for the two save not having a 3DS version of the game at all. Nintendo probably looked at whatever numbers and figures they had and went for what looks like the best way to get the two games out. I've always been of mind that releasing them on the same day would be a terrible idea because I believe a lot of people who could be convinced to get both wouldn't if they come out on the same day, but would strongly consider getting both if the 3DS verison came out with a good amount of lead time before the WiiU version.

I'm of that camp as well. If they came out on the same day I'd get a WiiU and the WiiU version and not get the 3DS verison. Now I'm going to get both versions because there's less of an hit to the bank account now.

Top Bottom