• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something strange about double team...

Steamroll3929

Smash Cadet
Have you ever noticed that sometimes if someone tries to grab you during the initial frames they miss. Just wondering if anyone else has expierienced this and if they have how it happens. Sorry if this was already known and discussed

Milln

Smash Champion
Yup. It is weird. I just figured it was a fluke, so I didn't mention it. XD

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
Also if you do a jump and hit double team right away, you pretty much won't jump at all and the noise for double team sounds twice as loud. I don't really know if that does anything though.

EDIT: If you have trouble doing this, it's probably because the gamecube controller's buttons might be... a little far away from each other, compared to something like the Classic Controller, which I use. Just FYI if you're testing this. Though still, it probably does nothing.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Something else strange. Since DT likes to warp you at a place THEN give you momentum for your attack. If you position yourself so that the place you teleport to is a wall, you'll just appear, standing there and the attack part of DT wont go through

PSYCHE

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever noticed that sometimes if someone tries to grab you during the initial frames they miss. Just wondering if anyone else has expierienced this and if they have how it happens. Sorry if this was already known and discussed
Dang, that's pretty cool. Good find!

O.d.L

Smash Rookie
i thouhgt it was because... is double team, nobody here has ever watch pokemon? XD, me neither, but that atack what does is exactly what Hmaal said, it makes you invincible for like a sec(or maybe 0.5 secs) but anyway, you cant be grabed or hited, but is just while the fists are shining =P

i noticed this some time ago cuz when i was playing with my brother he was using ike, so i run to atack him and he use the counter so i grabbed him, and when he tried to do the same thing to me, he couldnt grab me =P it saved me a couple of times, so i think yes, im invincible for some frames :p

salaboB

Smash Champion
Whenever I've had an opponent miss a grab due to me double teaming, they just tried again and got me before it ended.

Not the most amazingly useful thing. Maybe it would screw up one of the laggy grapple grabs ala Link or ZSS or whoever.

Edit: A smart/quick opponent is going to use the missed grab as the time to smash you in the face, because the grab time will use up DT's invincibility. I don't recommend trying to avoid getting grabbed by using it.

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I've seen grabs, tether grabs, and *thrown pikmin* go straight through lucario during his counter.

Oh, you *can* however counter kirby and dedede's inhaling neutral B. Weird world we brawl in.

OH! I also haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that if you counter right on the ledge facing off the edge if there's a wall beneath the ledge like in Final Dest you can wallcling to the wall coming straight out of double team. More flashy than practical, but it can be useful to use against, let's say, people that spend all day on the ledge trying to drop down and then hop up and hit you with an arial.

Milln

Smash Champion
Alright. I'm tired of us not being able to Double Team off the stage. I'm going to find a way to make it useful. *grumbles about Marths and Peaches able to counter off the stage and not having to worry about SDing...* I think I know the answer, I just need to stop playing the Mario Kart I won in my tournament long enough to test it. XD

Steamroll3929

Smash Cadet
Hmm interesting well when we find out exactly why this happens we might make use of it. I was saved once because during those frames samus tried to beam grapple me.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I believe that that ARE invincibility frames. I've had Pit's arrows go straight through me, so I'm thinking unless you are hit with a jab, smash or tilt, you are invincible for the first frame or so.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Wow this is new info to me lol. Every time I have used double team so far i either disappeared or got hit becasue I pressed it too early. At exactly what part of the move is he shortly invincible? Right exactly when you press down b? Slightly after?

Also, isnt this a bit usless if you would rather disapper and attack with double team rather than getting missed?

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
Yes there are startup invincibility frames and some ending invincibility frames.

If your hit and continue with the counter there are invincibility frames after you follow through until your able to move again, most people dom't know this becuase they rarely miss when hit.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
oh ending frames too. got it.

anyway this could be used as a strategy? or just another little tidbit about double team?

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
oh ending frames too. got it.

anyway this could be used as a strategy? or just another little tidbit about double team?
i use double-team all the time, and i'm pretty sure this can only be something as an "extra", for one the invincibility frames are really few, and you would need INSANE timing to put it to good use. secondly there is the entire remaining double-team move that sets you back quite a few seconds in which the opponent might just as well use to beat the crap outta you.
still this might come in handy every now and then. who knows it might be something like "i'll use double-team sooner now so there's a chance of invincibility", altough you shouldn't depend 100% in it.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
looks like u step back a bit when u start it, so maybe u get out of range of the grab when u use it at first

Browny

Smash Hater
slightly off topic,but i got this screenie today while watching a replay where i used double team, it sure looks cool :p

Milln

Smash Champion
So after poking around I solidified my fear that you can't turn around in mid-air with Double Team, unless i'm doing it wrong. Really the only way to face the other direction is with a Turnaround Aura Sphere and there's a nifty way you can use it and still get some horizontal distance which will be covered on Tuesday. It involves Psuedo-Bsticking (since Milln B-sticks without Bsticking, he gets a different result) and it is... indeed... pretty nifty. Easy to do, too.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Of course

In my opinion, his down B is an "alternative dodge", hence why it doesn't have a contact effect. If ur playing with final smashes that require a "catch", it dodges those too, like Ikes, MK, etc. It's fun though to occasionally use it to dodge a grab. But I don't think it gives him "invincibility frames", just dodge frames.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
*comes over to stop lurking around the GDorf boards* Ya. Lucario is my 2nd main now, but something I thought you guys should know: Any physical projectile will pass through Lucario when he is DTing. I have tried it with most of the projectiles in the game, and they go right through you.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
In my opinion, his down B is an "alternative dodge", hence why it doesn't have a contact effect. If ur playing with final smashes that require a "catch", it dodges those too, like Ikes, MK, etc. It's fun though to occasionally use it to dodge a grab. But I don't think it gives him "invincibility frames", just dodge frames.
No, there are invincibility frames on his counter. My friends arnt competetive players like I am so they don't care if we do one on one or a four player royal. And during a free-for-all the double team is godly. Anyways the ending invincibility frames are there until you are able to move again (remember these frames are only if you are hit and continue with your counter, as for the startup frames there are very few and are hardly worth noting). I've been hit with Ike f-smashes, snake f-smashes, and bowser f-smashes during my counter and always you get that *chink* sound you get when you hit two same prioroity attacks that cancel themselves out.

As for using it as an "alternative dodge" is absolutely not useful. Theyll come up for the grab, you counter, they miss, and your sitting there waiting to be punished.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No, there are invincibility frames on his counter. My friends arnt competetive players like I am so they don't care if we do one on one or a four player royal. And during a free-for-all the double team is godly. Anyways the ending invincibility frames are there until you are able to move again (remember these frames are only if you are hit and continue with your counter, as for the startup frames there are very few and are hardly worth noting). I've been hit with Ike f-smashes, snake f-smashes, and bowser f-smashes during my counter and always you get that *chink* sound you get when you hit two same prioroity attacks that cancel themselves out.

As for using it as an "alternative dodge" is absolutely not useful. Theyll come up for the grab, you counter, they miss, and your sitting there waiting to be punished.
First of all, note the word "occasionally". No, don't use the thing obviously for that, but still fun to see. Second, good point on the chink sound. I guess it is.

Top Bottom