• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I noticed about how falcon is "supposed" to be played

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
I know that I'm not a very well known poster around here, but please hear me out.

So a lot of people are scrounging falcon for combos, new AT's and whatnot, when I think we're missing a very key point of falcon's game. Now I'm not saying anything bad towards the people out finding combos and AT's (cuz we sure need them), just to start things off. Brawl falcon is like... he's like... mewtwo from melee. It takes a lot of mental prowess and creative play to really be good. I think that the most effective brawl falcon player is a player who is able to be extremely creative and react to any given situation that is presented to him/her, and turn it to his advantage. Granted, it's really hard to do that with falcon's tricky moveset, so only experience will really improve your falcon. I've been playing falcon exclusively since brawl came out, and I'd like to think that I have a fair amount of experience in playing falcon. People tell me after we play that they didn't expect a lot of the things I did. Even my friends, who play me regularly and know their ways around my falcon, say that I'm always unpredictable (preemptive anti-flame, I am not saying that I'm the best falcon). I think that's the key word here, unpredictable. Falcon is a smooth motherf*cker, so he's gotta be played like one.

So please, keep doing what you guys are doing. Find those combos and AT's that can advance our game. Just please consider what I've said and add it to your knowledge of falcon and try to incorporate it into your play.

tl;dr I think that the most effective brawl falcon player is a player who is able to be extremely creative and react creatively to any given situation that is presented to him/her.

falcon ftw

Miso asIAN

Smash Apprentice
if you can...try and post some videos of your falcon...i would like to increase my creative thoughts by seeing yours

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
The problem with this is that any character can be unpredictable.
Captain Falcon's main "unpredictability" lies in the fact that:
1. There aren't that many Falcons out there
2. He's often very underestimated
3. That knee comes out of freaking nowhere.

Doing a mock waveland down taunt right next to someone, having them shield out of surprise and then to grab them, throw them off the stage and u-air them out is about the most unpredictable thing I've done successfully.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
yeah any character can be unpredictable but the difference is that falcon relies on that unpredictability.

and yes i will talk to my friends about getting some recording gear.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Falcon can counter slow characters easy, i think he is medium tier but people dont know how use them, oh, and he have IMPOSIBLE match up like picachu

CptAwesome

Smash Rookie
Falcon is a smooth motherf*cker, so he's gotta be played like one.
I could'nt agree more. If anyone remembers playing F-Zero GX, and beating the Hardest Track set, there was an interview portion at the end of every set.

If i remmeber correctly, a certain Red helmet, blue spandex man once said:

"You don't win by being lucky, you win by being bold."

I wholehartedly agree that it takes skill to play Falcon WELL , and the same goes for being unpredictable.

In my short time playing, I always go off the ledge for the kill. (It scares the hell out of my friends to see me floating next to them, and just watching them air dodge for no reason.)

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
well technically we havn't formally talked about how Falcon is supposed to be played. If your tunning in now since like when Key and Banana were here, then a lot has changed, like I know that I don't use Falcon kick nearly as much as I used to, because it was his "best" approach.

My style of playing is more centered around probabilities. Like the probability for my attacks to be expected and probabilities of opponent's movements, combos, and other things.

I'v said it before and I'll say it again, Falcon is all about fundamentel skill

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
i was lurking when key and banana were posting, so yeah, i've been around here for a while. thats funny about the falcon kick tho. i almost never used it when i first started playing. now i find it's a great move, good for a switchup when people are camping my falcon. i'll approach with some empty sh or something, and when i've conditioned them to seeing a certain type of move BAM i'll bust out an aerial fk. i swear smoking makes my falcon either really creative or really stupid, but the moments where i'm really creative are worth the stupid moments.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
i was lurking when key and banana were posting, so yeah, i've been around here for a while. thats funny about the falcon kick tho. i almost never used it when i first started playing. now i find it's a great move, good for a switchup when people are camping my falcon. i'll approach with some empty sh or something, and when i've conditioned them to seeing a certain type of move BAM i'll bust out an aerial fk. i swear smoking makes my falcon either really creative or really stupid, but the moments where i'm really creative are worth the stupid moments.
YEHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

word man, like at pools I can **** with ridiculous mindgames, then by bracket time I can only get like one win then I become burnt out

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
seriously. i'll do amazing at the peak of my high, then slowly just putter to a stop. unless we pack more bowls. then its on!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
seriously. i'll do amazing at the peak of my high, then slowly just putter to a stop. unless we pack more bowls. then its on!
Do you practice high, or frequently money-match/tourney play high? There could be an encoding effect.

Also, have you compared the judgments of your opponents from times when you are high and times when you're not?

Ideally you'd keep it concealed that you are or are not high (for a blind study), but you can deal without it somewhat here.

Admittedly, playing high does change perception so it could make you 'more creative', but there's likely tradeoffs, tradeoffs that'll cost you in the grinding parts of the upper brackets.

Fan of the Captain, here.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
It's kind of obvious that you have to be unpredictable to win because of getting shield-grabbed or outprioritized a lot. Characters like MK don't need to be very unpredictable because things like Tornado you know are coming but you can't do much about it.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
YEHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

word man, like at pools I can **** with ridiculous mindgames, then by bracket time I can only get like one win then I become burnt out
yeahya!!!!

pot-heads UNITE!!!
HIGH FIVE!!

and my falcon is so random

i played a game without falcon kicking once..

and barely lost it...

i have no idea what i do i just do it :p

Dude. you are my hero.

CRACKHEADSRULZ
Drugs are bad, Mkay..

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
Do you practice high, or frequently money-match/tourney play high? There could be an encoding effect.

Also, have you compared the judgments of your opponents from times when you are high and times when you're not?

Ideally you'd keep it concealed that you are or are not high (for a blind study), but you can deal without it somewhat here.

Admittedly, playing high does change perception so it could make you 'more creative', but there's likely tradeoffs, tradeoffs that'll cost you in the grinding parts of the upper brackets.

Fan of the Captain, here.
i practice high and sober, depending on whether we have any to smoke at the time. so i have done a little experimenting.

i find that smoking just makes me more creative and reactive. if you smoke pot i guess you'd know what i'm talking about, but there's kind of this time warping effect. things don't slow down necessarily but... i dunno how to describe it. i just play better stoned.

when i play sober i'll try to remember the stuff i pulled off stoned and replicate it and add it to my game. i'm also usually a lot more careful too. i guess i survive longer sober, but play better overall stoned.

edit. marijuana isn't a drug. it's a plant. you dry it up and set it on fire.

Psychofox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-0374-2022
I agree with the OP completely. I main falcon too, and even though I successfully do a lot of the same combos such as flub knee to jab-grab etc, I read the opponents movements moreso playing falcon than any of my other mains. I've successfully pulled off a dair to where they pop up a little or a bit, read their air dodge and DI, and knee them for the KO. The opponent also doesn't expect the Up B falcon dive and how good its priority is, and how Ill follow up a flub-knee with a uair or something. I remain unpredictable to a degree and did pretty well at this weekends smashfest reading the opponents. heh. Two things I can think of how falcon is better (not the whole character, just 2 characteristics) is his recovery... I played melee and was so frustrated with his small falcon dive how he could appear to overshoot the edge but not grab it, and how falcon-kick (Fukkin-KICK! :) ) is less punished by the physics of brawl and the speed of it.

Iwan

Smash Ace
well technically we havn't formally talked about how Falcon is supposed to be played. If your tunning in now since like when Key and Banana were here, then a lot has changed, like I know that I don't use Falcon kick nearly as much as I used to, because it was his "best" approach.

My style of playing is more centered around probabilities. Like the probability for my attacks to be expected and probabilities of opponent's movements, combos, and other things.

I'v said it before and I'll say it again, Falcon is all about fundamentel skill
Haha, dude...me you Key and BTrooper used to Pwn these boards.

I used to spend ALL DAY on these boards. sigh...

Good times.....
*weeps in a corner holding a picture frame*

EDIT** And also, ABOUT PLAYING HIGH AT TOURNAMENTS: I made a pretty interesting read over at allisbrawl. Everyone should give it a read seeing as it pertains to the future of competitive gaming in general:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=7070

If you have an AiB account go ahead and comment.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Haha, dude...me you Key and BTrooper used to Pwn these boards.

I used to spend ALL DAY on these boards. sigh...

Good times.....
*weeps in a corner holding a picture frame*

EDIT** And also, ABOUT PLAYING HIGH AT TOURNAMENTS: I made a pretty interesting read over at allisbrawl. Everyone should give it a read seeing as it pertains to the future of competitive gaming in general:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=7070

If you have an AiB account go ahead and comment.
Drugs are for loosers

Top Bottom