• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I just cannot comprehend, yet I have awesome respect for

cutter

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=2737]Something I just cannot comprehend, yet I have awesome respect for[/drupal]

Graham's Number.

I'm pretty sure this is the largest number known that isn't infinity. If you have no idea what Graham's number is, just google it, and you'll be pretty shocked if you understand the math behind it.

Every time I try to understand how big Graham's number is, it makes my head hurt, yet I can somehow figure it out and make *some* sense if it. It's weird.

I'm not going to talk about how to calculate Graham's number, because it's pretty boring and very hard to conceptually understand. At least, that's how I see it. You can do that on your own; unless you REALLY want me to try to explain it :p

In laymen's terms, Graham's number is so ****ing huge that if you had the total number of digits in Graham's number be the size of a Planck length (equal to 1.6*10^-35 meters, which is 10^-20th the size of a proton) fill the entire volume of the observable universe, it would be FAR too small for Graham's number. It's THAT big.

Just some random musings of mine late at night. I love trying to read up on things like Graham's number and trying to understand their true magnitude.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I had to watch String Theory's Nova special like 4 times before I could even listen without my brain feeling damaged.

TP

Smash Master
I looooove thinking about Graham's number. Graham was such a badass for making that number.

:034:

Jupz

Smash Master
I love physics things like this lol. Its not the largest number known (obviously), but its the largest that has been used.

Things like this are amazing. One mole of Rice grains (6x10^23) would cover the whole of Australia one kilometre deep in rice grains. And that number is absolutely nothing compared to grahams number.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I love Avogadro's Number. On Mole Day (10/23), my chem teacher would play the Mole Song, which put the number into visualizations we could semi-comprehend. For example, according to the song, a mole of marshmallows would cover the Earth in a layer 2 miles high. And boy, would that be delicious. Also, a mole of pennies, equally distributed around the world, would make everyone a trillionaire. Now that would be fantastic.

As far as Graham's Number, it's not one that really interests me so much. The universe is so huge without thinking of numbers that don't fit in it. It boggles my mind enough to look at pictures of galaxies and realize that the light that came from them left a billion years ago, and that its journey ended in the Hubble's lens. From such an epic beginning to such a humble end, what a story. It's fascinating enough, and it's something we can see with our eyes, though we don't understand what we see without the aid of physics.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i always failed math back in skool. ive never heard of this before, sounds interesting, but way over my head lol.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I've always found numbers alone to be pretty boring, but whatever floats your boat.

Now, if we had a number of elephants equal to Graham's number, how many observable universes would they take up? That's far more interesting.

Top Bottom