• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Somebody help me out here...

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
Okay, first things first, I just joined Smash Boards recently, and since I main Mario, I decided to come here.

Now, I need some help regarding my Mario playstyle. No matter what I do, my opponent can almost always counter me with a f-smash or an AAA combo. If I roll behind them, they use D-smash. If I sidestep dodge, they just f-smash. I've tried short hopped dairs and bairs, fireball spamming, everything, but nothing seems to work. They just avoid everything I throw at them.

Generally, I'm asking how I can improve my playstyle and add a little defense into it. If this thread doesn't belong here or something like that, forgive me because I'm new here. =)

donferd_donster

Smash Cadet
I just recenly started as well and i can referr u to some people. if uhave quesitons u can ask... boss8, hero mystic, bo x7, judge judy, mario 101, and matador, there are a few more but i cant remember them. if u see them on a thread/post or w/e jus send them a message or quote them and ask them a question im learning alot from them! they're the best mann!

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
I just recenly started as well and i can referr u to some people. if uhave quesitons u can ask... boss8, hero mystic, bo x7, judge judy, mario 101, and matador, there are a few more but i cant remember them. if u see them on a thread/post or w/e jus send them a message or quote them and ask them a question im learning alot from them! they're the best mann!
I've seen videos of the people you mentioned, and they're all really good. I try to mimic what they do in their videos, but for me it just doesn't work out.

But anyways, I'll try to ask one of them.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
I would add more but I'm on my iPhone :(
Sowy..

Dory

Smash Journeyman
hmmm well that can mean they know your mind games.. Peopleyou play alot will eventually learn your tendencies and how to beat them. What I suggest is try to mix it up. Learn to play mario a bitmore by practice and vid watching, then try to break SOME habits not all. When your friend expects you to do something, expect what they would do then counter them.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I am...but like I said, they always block my attacks and counter. Everytime I try a short hopped attack, they can just roll behind and hit me while I'm still in the air.
Try doing Uair to Bair in one SH; if your opponent tries to get behind you, you can punish them with your Bair. Bair to Bair in one SH is good too.

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
hmmm well that can mean they know your mind games.. Peopleyou play alot will eventually learn your tendencies and how to beat them. What I suggest is try to mix it up. Learn to play mario a bitmore by practice and vid watching, then try to break SOME habits not all. When your friend expects you to do something, expect what they would do then counter them.
So, generally, I should stop being so predictable?

Dory

Smash Journeyman
if thats the case... then yes...
You'll get it though :D

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
Try doing Uair to Bair in one SH; if your opponent tries to get behind you, you can punish them with your Bair. Bair to Bair in one SH is good too.
I've tried short hopped Uairs but they almost never seem to hit.

Another problem I've faced is SHing characters that are shorter than Mario. His Bairs usually fly above their head.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I've tried short hopped Uairs but they almost never seem to hit.

Another problem I've faced is SHing characters that are shorter than Mario. His Bairs usually fly above their head.
Try some of theses, one of these combinations are bound to work: Dair to Uair, Dair to Dair, Uair to Cape to Uair, Uair to Cape to Bair.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Okay, first things first, I just joined Smash Boards recently, and since I main Mario, I decided to come here.

Now, I need some help regarding my Mario playstyle. No matter what I do, my opponent can almost always counter me with a f-smash or an AAA combo. If I roll behind them, they use D-smash. If I sidestep dodge, they just f-smash. I've tried short hopped dairs and bairs, fireball spamming, everything, but nothing seems to work. They just avoid everything I throw at them.

Generally, I'm asking how I can improve my playstyle and add a little defense into it. If this thread doesn't belong here or something like that, forgive me because I'm new here. =)
Who's the guy playing that beats you? The way you'd respond to Ike doing this is much different from Metaknight doing it

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
Who's the guy playing that beats you? The way you'd respond to Ike doing this is much different from Metaknight doing it
I mostly have trouble with characters smaller than Mario (aerials go over their heads) and for some reason, I have the most trouble with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
I mostly have trouble with characters smaller than Mario (aerials go over their heads) and for some reason, I have the most trouble with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.
really??
ganon and falcon are by far one of the easiest match ups for mario IMO.
those small characters, are they MK and G&W?
because if so they **** mario so you will have a tough time w/ them.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
sh bairs can hit shorter characters, just make sure you space yourself correctly, and
FF before you throw it out. I fight a kirby on an often basis.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
C.Falcon? He shouldn't be too hard.All his smash attacks are laggy, most of his tlts
suck. And to my knowledge only one of his aerials auto-cancel. Sounds like you
just need to work on your metagame. If C.Falcon and Ganon are able to hit you
with smash attacks on a normal basis, it means you're being too predictable and
not dodging or sheilding enough. C.Falcon and Ganon need to know where you're going
to be before they attack. Just work on tricking your opponent, or maybe upload
a video so we can give you more detailed answers.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@Vyyruss: Sexy sig you got there.

Dory said:
really??
ganon and falcon are by far one of the easiest match ups for mario IMO.
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

@Mario Tornado: I suggest watching videos of other Mario mains in the video section. I recommend Boss and Matador since they're the most updated.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
matador has ALOT of wifi ones though. no doubt i know matador is good, but i wont suggest trying to learn new stuff from wifi ones :/ (to matador if you i read this lol that means no offense to you cause like i said your amazing lol)

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the advice.. :) BTW, Vyyruss, what does FF mean?

Also, and I probably should've mentioned this before, but can anyone give me some tips for Mario in 4 player FFAs? I do okay in 1 on 1s, but I suck in free for alls. I can't usually do SH aerials and stuff like that with others attacking me, so any tips for Mario in FFAs would be appreciated.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No matter what I do, my opponent can almost always counter me with a f-smash or an AAA combo.
Try to mix up approaches by spacing attacks so that you land behind your opponent or outside of their grab range.

If I roll behind them, they use D-smash.
Learn to not roll behind your opponent. It's very risky most of the time.

If I sidestep dodge, they just f-smash.
Try walking up and attacking instead with a D-smash. If they have a particularly punishable F-smash, try staying just out of its range and see if you can bait it. Walk away a step to avoid it, then F-smash to punish it.

I've tried short hopped dairs and bairs, fireball spamming, everything, but nothing seems to work. They just avoid everything I throw at them.
Do you know that Mario can do two aerials in a short hop? this is something that can really increase his speed.

Oh yeah, and try to grab moar I guess.

And if your opponent is approaching, you have Jab, D-smash, U-smash out of shield, and Up-B out of shield to punish.

I dunno, it would probably help if you played someone here so we can better answer your questions.

Btw, I do main Mario. I just also main G&W, and intend to use him in the next tournament I go to.

EDIT:

Oh you're having trouble against Falcon and Ganondorf. Camp against them, B-air to punish their attacks, and don't forget to do D-throw -> U-air combos. Gimp them offstage with N-air, FLUDD, and Cape.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
All of Mario's aerials except for F-air cancels. F-air only autocancels at the very beginning of the hitbox.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
matador has ALOT of wifi ones though. no doubt i know matador is good, but i wont suggest trying to learn new stuff from wifi ones :/ (to matador if you i read this lol that means no offense to you cause like i said your amazing lol)
None taken, no doubt wifi is terrible. My vids show what works online...alot of the things I do online would never work offline, I'm just kinda good at exploiting that. For example, Fsmash is harder to land offline, but comboing is alot sexier. Gimping is a bit more difficult online, but your defensive game (while still epic offline) is practically on steroids online. It's really a different game online, it's just for learning the basics of matchups and getting the gist of reading opponents.

Basically, if you have the choice, definitely watch the offline vids, even if it's Boss vs M2K. It's just not the same.

Top Bottom