• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Thoughts on Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Link to original post: [drupal=5196]Some Thoughts on Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z[/drupal]

I'm a Dragon Ball series fan. I can't say I am a hardcore fan nor am I supremely knowledgeable. I'm like most people who was raised watching Dragon Ball Z, not even knowing there was a show about Goku's life before it, nor did I even know what "anime" was then either. Just like any child, I was crazy and mesmerized by the nonstop action and the incredible art. Around Christmas last year I got all of the manga (the Vizbig edition where there are three volumes in one and the pages are larger), all 14 of them (needless to say I had a lot of fun :D), breezing through them in a short time. I had seen most of Dragon Ball when I was younger, but his was the first time I've seen it from start to finish and with an older mind, and of course I got to revisit Dragon Ball Z, having seen some Kai on Nicktoons around then as well. I then began to realize something.

Toriyama absolutely SUCKS at writing stories. It's true, everyone would have to agree. But that is because that isn't his strong suit. His strong suits being art and gags. For example, before Dragon Ball all he did was gags, even the recurring Dr. Slump was very episodic in nature. Dragon Ball itself started out with perhaps 3/4 gag and 1/4 action until demand forced him to go half and half for the sake of popularity. That ratio is perhaps what I'm going to argue is the best that the series ever sees. Every so few pages you get a smile or a chuckle and the action is very playful, you never expect much of a complex story out of it nor do you expect any logic. And surprisingly, there aren't very many inconsistencies. That is because Toriyama can focus still on what he does well without having to pander too much to the adrenaline seeking reader and the fact that because the focus on action is still slight, there is no demand for too much story essence. It would be easy to agree probably that action is far more dependent on consistency and content than comedy. In fact, gags almost imply for a complete disregard for such elements. Now, towards the end of Dragon Ball, when King Piccolo is introduced, the story starts to go 3/4 action and 1/4 comedy (if even that). This is a bit warranted, considering the series is starting to close to an end, and the characters start to become so powerful that explosions become almost necessary if the steady increase of power is to continue. Interestingly though, it still becomes a bit one dimensional in areas, although the series still retains purpose in techniques and spells.

As strength and explosions becomes more focused, techniques and the like start to disappear, which we will go back to in a second. But what also seems to happen is that Son Goku starts to create a larger rift between himself and the other characters. This is something I'm personally not fond of, though I'm positive this is not a popular opinion. When the main character becomes the atlas of the entire series and the other characters become filler or almost insignificant in prowess because the main protagonist is obviously the one with the splotlight and thus becomes the one guy who gets anything done, and the story becomes very formulaic, predictable, and stagnant in terms of character development outside of the protagonist, for what reason would characters develop if they begin to disappear, unless you were to consider becoming a mere shadow of their former self as development (which I do not, and don't think anyone actually would). It is interesting all that this becomes particularly bad becomes it now suddenly becomes important as you begin to EXPECT dimension when a story shrinks the importance of the gags and raises the importance of the action and the stakes. The planet is in danger, Dragon Ball has reached its greatest threat, and naturally so at the end of it, and the world being threatened is a good way to wrap it up. Excellent. This is a factor we will also return to in a second.

Dragon Ball ends, and popular demand cries out for me, and Dragon Ball Z is born. And thus being born out of demand, it can only be assumed that the action would increase in focus. In fact, the end of Dragon Ball also fortifies the necessity for a plethora of reasons. How do you follow up on the world being saved? How do you make characters who can make massive explosions and destroy moons easily better? Dragon Ball Z fires off with roughly a 9/10 focus on action and 1/10 of comedy that shows up only briefly, the source being Krillin and the sheer quality of the characters (which is actually another good quality that it has). The rift between Goku and everyone else remains, only Piccolo can stand beside Goku, and this actually doesn't remain for long. Explosions and fast paced limb flailing becomes the definition of the fighting, and thus remains quite the same throughout the series. People at the start can destroy whatever they please really, and they can move deadly fast as well. These factors do not evolve, at all. Explosions are the same, they simply are induced with a higher power level. Same with punches and kicks. The rate at which people move even seems the same, and watching people struggle to see people moving so fast seems quaint. What makes someone disappearing and appearing somewhere else any different than someone who has done it earlier in the show, how is one harder to follow? When Semi-Perfect Cell becomes so fast he can blast off and catch up to Android 16 running off with 18 and everyone marvels at his speed. But Frieza could seemingly transmit himself anywhere. I understand, it is people having trouble to witness it, but how can popping up wherever you please be any slower or faster than someone else doing it? Someone blasting off is surely slower than people doing this. It all becomes nonsensical. Everytime a villain appears of a saiyan comes around and shows off their power level, the filler characters always have the same remarks. "It is through the roof!" "It is endless" "I've never seen anything like THIS!" etc. How is chi sensing any different for all of these people when everyone has the same unimaginable description of it. Nevermind, time to get back on topic.

As a result of all of this, blowing up a planet becomes a joke, and the focus on action is never very serious, which is a bit necessary since Dragon Ball is now trying to be something that has to be taken seriously, almost none of it is a joke. The characters that were meaningful and had attention in Dragon Ball had almost no roles (Launch literally vanishes despite her interest in Tien, which now that I think about it means little, since the powerful and formidable Tien gets perhaps two memorable moments in the series that actually don't get too much accomplished compared to almost any single memorable moment anyone else possesses). The first arc in Namek is actually the best, Krillin who is pretty much the strongest human actually gets some attention, despite it mostly being him hiding and running. The events that transpire there are actually the most interesting and plot driven that the series gets, in fact, techniques are not extinct as of yet. But even here, the fighting outside of spells and techniques are the same and quite dull. Not to mention the series started with this typical formula that carries what I mentioned before, Goku is the guy who gets **** done. He comes in, wrecks some *****es, then has to rest for a while and the weakling characters struggle to handle things. In fact, this carries into the next saga a little as well. Speaking of the Android/Cell saga, I must actually say something most would probably contest with. It just might be the worst of the three. I know, I know, the Buu saga is generally elected that by just about everyone, but I'll explain.

At the end of the Frieza saga, it was played pretty similarly to how Dragon Ball ended. Probably considering Toriyama wanted it to end there, but of course demand started to show its ugly head again and we got another go, and things were left even worse than at the end of DB. The rift between Goku and everyone else is larger than ever, and few characters get even the slightest bit of mention or love, whereas DB treated them at least a bit better. Yeah, there was Vegeta, but he pales in comparison to Goku unlike Piccolo did with Goku at the end of DB. And Vegeta, who is a very cool and fun character, gets totally **** on this time around. This is the worst saga for him, his character becomes even more predictable and in the worst way. His greatest moment is his unveiling of "Super Vegeta" and destroying the weakest and ugliest Android. From then on, he immediately shows that not only Goku can have a typical formula. His formula goes as follows": "I can take on anyone! Let's let the bad guys show up or get stronger so I can test myself!" He then proceeds to get his butt kicked and the world becomes hugely in danger as a result. This happens multiple times until he just doesn't get anything done at the end, whereas Goku does a little and this his SON finishes the deal. But that is not the only flaw with this arc. It becomes nonexistent story wise, Toriyama has given up at this point, admittedly he perhaps should at this point because he didn't want to continue further. There are bad guys. They run around bored (being bored or filled with testosterone are the two major personality types in characters, and sometimes people switch between them) and the good guys either hide or try to get something done. That is it. For the story to continue they even have Android 17 pull a Vegeta and get himself absorbed and endanger all life in the universe because of stupidity. Cell is just an awful villain, he has to hide or rely on Toriyama's very characertistic deus ex machina that DBZ is practically defined by now. Characters grow in power level as Akira needs them to for the story to continue, logic is thrown out the window. Even the fan base at their most hardcore dispute in confusion over who is stronger than who, and sadly power level is all that matters. Techniques are dead at this point, the only way they surface in the slightest in this saga is through Cell, who can only do what everyone else has done so far. Thus he doesn't have much of his own essence to offer to the table. Frieza was far better and the arc was far better and Vegeta wasn't a complete annoyance then either. One could argue that Vegeta developed here (and indeed, he one is of few that change, the other that comes to mind is Piccolo, and sadly that means the most that there is in development in DBZ is when a good guy begins to become good) because of his anger that Goku showed him up. It is debatable whether it warrants, let alone justifies, the mess that is Vegeta in this arc.

What happens in the Buu arc is that things get a little bit more silly, but in a sense this is an improvement. Toriyama is more in his element here, he can do spells and have characters be funny. At this point you don't expect anything serious, partially because the reader/watcher has given up, but also because the story is now finally cognizant of how awful it is when it tries to be serious and has a little bit of fun. Buu is interesting, different, we have fusion which is a funny and strange idea. We even almost had some character development at the start of it, too bad it was interrupted by the god awful tournament segment which is the worst part in my view, but moving on. One may even consider the growth of the family as a "form" of development, especially in Krillin's sense. Vegeta also seems to have turned a bit good with all of the years of peace on Earth, even when he lets himself get "controlled" by Babidi and acts like a total ****, it is seemingly more justified because we can see it is like he was burning up from all of the peace and missed the lust for battle (that and he was probably partially mad from the spell, despite trumping most of it with his insane power level). He then even feels a bit sorrowful at all of it and hugs his son and kills himself. This is one of the best moments for Vegeta fans, and shows the most change out of these one dimensional characters (gotta love them some of them though, honestly). He even at the end realizes finally why Goku was ahead of him, it was great, Vegeta finally gets some closure. He becomes complete. This saga, filled with nonsense that doesn't take itself seriously finally, and an interesting Vegeta, seemingly makes for a more acceptable arc, and therefore a good note to end on, in my opinion.

That being said, although DBZ is seen far more popular and superior, I really do feel that the gags and character love seen in DB makes it to be as a piece of art superior, whether the content is more exciting or superior or not. Toriyama was still writing what he loved in DB, and had the worst time with DBZ and kept trying to end it, as much as I still like it despite my rather critical analysis of it. This is the same reason why I view that the Buu arc is not the worst, which is also an unconventional opinion that I wanted to share and see if anyone can come to agree with my points. Thanks for reading. ^_^

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
hmm. you won me some respect for the Buu arc(I felt they did make him just too overpowered,but now that I think about it,it kinda worked.) one thing I did like about Z was that they built up Gohan through the series to pretty much be the next in line to surpass his father. some complain about gohan, but I liked that trait about him.

also, the Gotenks vs Buu fight is still funny to watch after all these years.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
hmm. you won me some respect for the Buu arc(I felt they did make him just too overpowered,but now that I think about it,it kinda worked.) one thing I did like about Z was that they built up Gohan through the series to pretty much be the next in line to surpass his father. some complain about gohan, but I liked that trait about him.
I do agree with that. Gohan is something you don't get in DB, and he is a great character. He doesn't make much sense at times (I'm looking at you Frieza fight), but he is more developed than his iconic father, though I love the hell out of that guy.

also, the Gotenks vs Buu fight is still funny to watch after all these years.
Yes! Definitely one of the best parts where the old Toriyama shines through. Especially when reading the manga you can see the change in the way fights operated. At that point fights started to become very brief. Instead of doing the typical fight and kick exchanges and explosions, two people encountered and one immediately proved to be stronger and wins. Then with Gotenks and Buu this typical streak breaks in the Buu saga when Gotenks starts doing all of these goofy moves that he names. It was really refreshing to read that in the manga and definitely earned my respect. In the anime the contrast is probably smaller considering things are more drawn out, even the standing-and-doing-nothing-but-staring parts haha.

Bing

Smash Master
The one thing I hated about Gohan is that they built him up wonderously, like he was my favourite character from the Frieza saga on, and then GT came out and he was almost non-existent(Dont give a **** about the Baby saga, everyone had a piece of that, most of it was useless[if not the whole series, had to force myself to watch it])

I do sort of agree with your thoughts on the Android Saga, it had potential but they ruined it a bit(The fight between 17 and Piccolo is one of my favourite fights... 17 should have ***** his **** though)

With that being said, I actually cant stand the Saiyan saga, I mean, everyone was incredibly weak, to the point that Nappa, the one who was 1/3 the strength of Vegeta, killed everyone except Goku and Gohan and Krillin, He killed Tien with incredible ease, Chiatzu(SP?) Self Destructed in a failed Kamikaze attempt and Yamcha.. didnt make it past the Saiba Men.

Now Goku comes in, tears Nappa a new ******* and then Vegeta kills him.
Now we have Vegeta vs Goku. An Epic battle of.. who the **** am I kidding Vegeta wins that fight pretty outright until the Kamehameha overpowers his Garlic Gun. Then he becomes the Saiyan Ape and wrecks ****. Now we have Goku unable to move, Krillin whos weak as ****, Gohan becoming a Giant Monkey after Yajirobi cuts off Vegetas tail. The one this saga ends it kind of ridiculous...

Anywho Im done.
Personally I liked the buu saga... except that the part with Majin Buu(First form) dragged on for like.. a decade.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The one thing I hated about Gohan is that they built him up wonderously, like he was my favourite character from the Frieza saga on, and then GT came out and he was almost non-existent(Dont give a **** about the Baby saga, everyone had a piece of that, most of it was useless[if not the whole series, had to force myself to watch it])
Hey! No GT talk in my thread.

I do sort of agree with your thoughts on the Android Saga, it had potential but they ruined it a bit(The fight between 17 and Piccolo is one of my favourite fights... 17 should have ***** his **** though)
Piccolo is one of those characters that also receives most of the Toriyama plot boosts to his power level. For example, absorbing Nail who couldn't do crap to first form Frieza giving him a boost that makes him a match for the second. Then he absorbs Kami who was weaker than Goku in DB and becomes "complete" and goes from that point to being an Android destroying monster, something even Vegeta wasn't at that point in time.

With that being said, I actually cant stand the Saiyan saga, I mean, everyone was incredibly weak, to the point that Nappa, the one who was 1/3 the strength of Vegeta, killed everyone except Goku and Gohan and Krillin, He killed Tien with incredible ease, Chiatzu(SP?) Self Destructed in a failed Kamikaze attempt and Yamcha.. didnt make it past the Saiba Men.
Yeah, they had to make villains for Goku, too bad no one was near Goku's strength at that point so we just watched them get owned until he came to the rescue. Yamcha was no surprise though, he never won a fair fight against a non-filler character in his entire history within DB or DBZ despite being around for so long.

Now Goku comes in, tears Nappa a new ******* and then Vegeta kills him.
Now we have Vegeta vs Goku. An Epic battle of.. who the **** am I kidding Vegeta wins that fight pretty outright until the Kamehameha overpowers his Garlic Gun. Then he becomes the Saiyan Ape and wrecks ****. Now we have Goku unable to move, Krillin whos weak as ****, Gohan becoming a Giant Monkey after Yajirobi cuts off Vegetas tail. The one this saga ends it kind of ridiculous...
Not going to lie, the fact that it took so much to take down Vegeta was kind of boss. Though that profound strength Toriyama gives him makes you wonder how Goku came back insanely stronger than him even though he kept using his plot-device Zenkai a hundred times to boost his power.

Bing

Smash Master
haha I was just saying that for so much build up of a character in a series they kind up wasted there efforts, ANYWHO

Yeah no, I dont think it was badass at all, I mean they made him look a little over powered, JUST to have Goku surpass him by doing pushups and situps at 100X gravity. Yeah some of the Plot boosts were a little ridiculous, I like Vegeta, Especially during the spots that you mentioned(Kamikaze vs Buu and the realization part in the fight with Kid buu) but honestly, the Saiyan saga was, bleh.

And one thing that makes me scratch my head, when Goku AND Piccolo fight Raditz, get ***** until Piccolo puts a hole through their chests. They are weak as hell, Piccolo kidnaps and Gohan and at some point gets strong enough to atleast hold his own against Nappa.(using this term loosely)

allshort17

Smash Ace
You head the nail on the head. I'm glad you admitted that story was the strong point of the creator or series or I would have to disagree with you. Everything else it did was done great. You got entertaining fights even though you knew who was going to win. He did make it interesting in DBZ for Goku to not only fail to defeat Vegeta, but also Cell. That at least shows some of his weakness and how he does depend on his friends still. Also, you forgot about the amazing soundtrack (at least in the shows.)

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
True, Goku doesn't just straight up win every single time. He wasn't 100% predictable, good correction. However, he always took part in a victory in some way whenever he showed up though, so it isn't too different in a sense, just that he had other back him up on the first occasion and the second time had his son do it (its in his genes to just win XD). As for the soundtrack, I was more so discussing the story from Toriyama's perspective, in fact most I know about is from the manga, the source of the material.

And @Bing, it's like I said before, Vegeta shows how BA he is and Goku does some push-ups and stuff and not only catches up but surpasses Vegeta who has during that time period been using Zenkai every fight to get a power boost. I hate how they abused Zenkai with him, but you have to admit, it is a good plot tool to use so those are too weak can come back stronger. Very clever Akira. :smirk:

The one thing that confuses me most about that whole Raditz thing is how weak they then show Raditz is because these little people you can grow are stronger than him. .___. Why is there such a difference in power between Raditz and the other two? And why does Goku's older brother not have the god-like potential Goku does? I mean, he was raised destroying planets for Frieza, the training and Zenkais should have put him above Nappa at least.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see more people agree that Dragon Ball is better than the sequel.

Probably the biggest problem with DBZ is the absolutely awfully high amount of fillers for it. A small part of the story would stretch out over a few episodes. I think Cell's transformation into Perfect Cell took a few episodes, which was completely unnecessary and bored the living heck out of me. And I always liked the Majin Buu saga; never got the hate for it.

Dragon Ball success because it doesn't have to worry about filler clogging up the story all the time and the story never gets stuck in one place for many episodes. Plus I feel the personality was a lot more diverse and as you said, techniques needed to be more developed back then.

The original I would is one of my favorite anime shows. DBZ, on the other hand, I like, but wouldn't spend the time needed to watch the show. 291 episodes is way too much.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I liked the Buu Saga, I felt like it restored a lot of the humor and fun that Dragon Ball used to have

Anyway, DEFINITELY disagree that Cell is the worst villain, at least not Cell's first form. Semi-Perfect Cell and Perfect Cell I can kinda agree on, but I thought Imperfect Cell was seriously one of the best villains that Dragon Ball has ever offered. I loved his predatory nature, how cunning and sneaky he was, and I loved his overall look and voice

BTW, Tien is seriously a boss, one of my favorite DB characters ever

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Glad to see more people agree that Dragon Ball is better than the sequel.
Hell yeah, any true Dragon Ball series fan would think the original is better. :D

Probably the biggest problem with DBZ is the absolutely awfully high amount of fillers for it. A small part of the story would stretch out over a few episodes. I think Cell's transformation into Perfect Cell took a few episodes, which was completely unnecessary and bored the living heck out of me. And I always liked the Majin Buu saga; never got the hate for it.
Agreed. It is always amazing to see some transformations take forever in the show, then open up to the manga, and see that it takes one to two panels. Amazing my friend, amazing.

As for filler arcs, they weren't even good. Did Toriyama directly write those? Does anyone know this?

Dragon Ball success because it doesn't have to worry about filler clogging up the story all the time and the story never gets stuck in one place for many episodes. Plus I feel the personality was a lot more diverse and as you said, techniques needed to be more developed back then.

The original I would is one of my favorite anime shows. DBZ, on the other hand, I like, but wouldn't spend the time needed to watch the show. 291 episodes is way too much.
The techniques and spells made it much more diverse, thereby having more diversity in not only personality but in fighting technique. Measuring who is stronger than who in DBZ becomes a debate on who has the highest power level and thus have the stronger "explosions" and punches. And like I mentioned in the original post, not even THAT is clear!

Yeah, I liked the Buu Saga, I felt like it restored a lot of the humor and fun that Dragon Ball used to have
You have good taste Metal, liking all of this Dragon Ball love, surprised people aren't fighting me on that point I made.

Anyway, DEFINITELY disagree that Cell is the worst villain, at least not Cell's first form. Semi-Perfect Cell and Perfect Cell I can kinda agree on, but I thought Imperfect Cell was seriously one of the best villains that Dragon Ball has ever offered. I loved his predatory nature, how cunning and sneaky he was, and I loved his overall look and voice
I do see what you mean, though different personality wise (well, the three main villains all diverged in personality really, Cell was the only that interestingly enough changed from imperfect to semi-perfect, semi to perfect was pretty much the same, just gained obvious confidence) he wasn't too threatening, I mean, he showed up, got shown up by Piccolo instantly, then had to hide. But yeah it was a new thing, which makes it a bit more interesting.

His look was definitely cool, though he looked ugly as crap when he yelled.

BTW, Tien is seriously a boss, one of my favorite DB characters ever
Hell yeah man, the guy was strong, had an eye on his forehead, had a bunch of different moves, in Dragon Ball he was actually interesting. In DBZ he ended up just being this weak guy with one strong move he uses that never actually does damage. Oh and he really hates Vegeta. o-o Shame what he became when they through a Z on the title.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty sure that most people like Z better than the original is because people grew up with it. Z was on Toonami (It's back BTW. :cool:) quite a while before the original, that and maybe Vegeta.

With the original, my favorite saga would be the first two (forgot their names) because I always laugh the most during those episodes, and they weren't as serious either. And for Z, the Buu saga, mostly becuase that was the first saga I started to really watch (parents finally got better cable for our TV). I am starting to like the Cell saga though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I've only watched clips of Dragon Ball, but from what I've seen it has alot of great humor. I acquired the series, and plan to watch it over the summer.

DBZ had its problems, and yeah, you can trace them to the show continuing past its original intended ending, but I don't think you can blame the fans for wanting more, or Toriyama for giving it to them. I think the Saiyan saga was a brilliant way to maintain the connection with DB while moving DBZ in a new direction.

Also, watch Dragon Ball Z Abridged. It's beyond amazing.

Bing

Smash Master
Abridged! I love it.. too much lol

I saw alll of sh because here in Canada my only source for shows like this growing up was ytv, unfortunately they'd start db, get a decent way through, restart, get back to where they were previously and restart again. I'm considering buying the DVD collection.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Dragonball, in my opinion, is better than Z because of the character development, stories, characters in general, and it focused more on adventuring rather than "there's the bad guy; go fight him". Dragonball Z is still fun to watch, don't get me wrong, but I agree with everything you said and have had that kind of mindset, including viewing the Buu saga as better than the Android/Cell saga for a long time now. It's sad too, because as you said, Dragonball Z focuses too much on the deus ex machina formula, and it focuses on that formula A LOT. It's ironic too, because Piccolo is Toriyama's favorite character, so you would think he'd be treated a little better, but no, he's for the most part, as useless as the rest of the cast.

I had hopes that we would see a new face for Dragonball Z in the form of Gohan, and was even hopeful we'd get a sense of adventure like we did in Dragonball, especially seeing as Gohan was given a sword and everything. Instead, Toriyama, contrary to popular belief, wasn't forced to bring back Goku by popular demand, but actually didn't like Gohan as a hero, and brought back Goku, which in hindsight for me, is rather disappointing. Gone is the adventuring idea, and back was the whole "there's the bad guy; beat him down" formula.

Also, as you said, there are no techniques. It's all about screaming and powering up, and that's all it boils down to. What also bothers me is that the lesser character, like Krillin and Tien are very weak during the Frieza saga. That being said, sometime after that, they obviously become stronger, and it shows. The problem is, any new villain that appears become grossly stronger by comparison, so even if the likes of Krillin has the power to beat down Frieza, it means nothing now that a much stronger villain has appeared. And Launch, poor Launch, she was never seen again (save for that one bit of filler, which isn't even canon), and the reason was that Toriyama apparently forgot she even existed. She was one of my favorite characters too.

My personal favorite character happens to be Vegeta, only because he has quite the character development (save for the Cell saga), and by the latter part of the Buu saga, he actually becomes somewhat of a comedic character. For someone like Vegeta, I would have never guessed he'd become grossed out and nauseous at the site of intestines and worms, showing a side of Vegeta we - at that point - never knew about, so it was a nice and refreshing change. Also, let's face it, Vegeta, as cocky and stupid as he can be, is still a pretty badass character. My only gripe is that, even though he isn't treated as well as Goku, he's still treated far better than the other characters, even Gohan and Piccolo, and it's especially ironic seeing as Toriyama admitted that Vegeta was his least favorite character, but "he was useful to have around".

All of my nitpicking aside, I still love Dragonball Z for its nostalgia factor, and for how over-the-top it can oftentimes become. It's true what they say that nostalgia's a powerful thing, which is why I still enjoy it (save for most of the fillers, especially the Garlic Jr. arc).

Also, watch Dragon Ball Z Abridged. It's beyond amazing.
I've been watching and following that series (as well as Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged) for a couple or so years now, and it's just hilarious. It basically gives Dragonball Z the humor it lacks.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Abridged may be better than the actual thing. XD Only one episode seemed really poorly written in my opinion. The rest were near flawless.

I had heard that Vegeta was his least favorite, but wasn't sure if that was true. From a writer's standpoint that may be understandable because of how unpleasant he may be to have around, because you couldn't have him acting cooperative or nice very much or it would seem out of place, which means he has to hinder progress or mention he is not a fan of the progress 100% of the time almost. But like you said, he found that Vegeta was the only other dude who could kinda sorta get something done beyond Goku or Gohan (rarely) so he had to keep him around one way or the other. At least Piccolo started to become dependable, probably why Akira liked him so much.

I think adventuring at that point Sol would have been awful to watch because the characters at that point were god-awfully strong it was ridiculous. I hate to break my own rule and mention GT, but in GT they tried to return the adventure aspect (as awfully as they did it) and at times, when it isn't being ********, it seemed ******** even still because you had these powerful characters for some reason struggling to lift things even DB Goku could do and could hardly move as fast. Though it could have worked if it had taken a 50/50 adventure/gag focus (or perhaps more gag would be needed) so you couldn't take it seriously anymore, but at that point the show would drastically change and it would be hard to fit. I don't know, I suppose they could have had adventures, just made sure it made sense and focused on the characters having fun with each other I guess, I mean, the characters are good enough and iconic enough to get away with something so simplistic.

And lawl sounds like Akira to forget a character. I remember reading a Q&A about Dragon Ball before where someone asked why Goku told Bulma at the start the he has never seen a human before when he was raised by Grandpa Gohan. Akira was shocked and said the guy must be really smart. Ohhhh Akira...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think adventuring at that point Sol would have been awful to watch because the characters at that point were god-awfully strong it was ridiculous. I hate to break my own rule and mention GT, but in GT they tried to return the adventure aspect (as awfully as they did it) and at times, when it isn't being ********, it seemed ******** even still because you had these powerful characters for some reason struggling to lift things even DB Goku could do and could hardly move as fast. Though it could have worked if it had taken a 50/50 adventure/gag focus (or perhaps more gag would be needed) so you couldn't take it seriously anymore, but at that point the show would drastically change and it would be hard to fit. I don't know, I suppose they could have had adventures, just made sure it made sense and focused on the characters having fun with each other I guess, I mean, the characters are good enough and iconic enough to get away with something so simplistic.
I actually wanted to mention that, but I didn't want to bring GT into the discussion because of your rule. At least you addressed what I would've said anyway. :laugh:

And lawl sounds like Akira to forget a character. I remember reading a Q&A about Dragon Ball before where someone asked why Goku told Bulma at the start the he has never seen a human before when he was raised by Grandpa Gohan. Akira was shocked and said the guy must be really smart. Ohhhh Akira...
That seems to be another problem. At first, we don't notice, but when we analyze and dissect the series, we can find plot holes and inconsistencies everywhere.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well.. I can break my own rule if I want. XD

And yeah, mostly because we were kids when we first seen it. DBZ came under a new light when I picked up the manga and examined it under a more competent scope.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'll just say a few things about GT:

It sucks ***. They tried to make it more like Dragonball at the beginning by giving it lame sitcom humor (Vegeta forced to go shopping with his daughter Bra? Really?) and turning Goku back into a kid, but they failed at that miserably so they tried to make it more action-oriented like Z, but even that didn't work because the fights were pretty ****ing boring and the villains weren't very good at all, either (only villain I seriously liked was Syn/Omega Shenron). Tien and Yamcha made like 2 or 3 appearances throughout the whole damn show, Launch still wasn't in it, Gohan was even more of a geek than he was during the Buu saga, Uub had potential but got **** on like every other fighter that isn't Goku in GT, Goten was useless as usual, Bra/Bulla didn't do ****, Pan didn't do **** either AND was annoying and bratty, Vegeta grew a mustache, and if you thought Z was bad with the whole "the humans became useless" thing, GT was even WORSE about that. Don't even get me started on GT Trunks. The Saiyan hybrids (Gohan, Goten, Trunks) pretty much took over the humans spot from Z as the new Z Fighters who aren't worth **** in a fight against a major villain. They even gave it a stupid *** rap for the American theme song that makes the rap in One Piece's theme sound like Tupac by comparison

/rant

Bing

Smash Master
Lets take a ride on the grand tour..
take a ride on the grand tour...

GT!

That **** was kind of catchy... hate to say it.

I hated how they did that, I mean Goku was supposed to be the strongest in the Universe, his punches caused Fissures, and yet in GT and a Super Saiyan 4 during the Black Star Dragon Saga, he had to catch a bus and it almost killed it.

GOHAN CAUGHT A BUS FALLING OFF A CLIFF AND GENTLY PLACES BACK ON THE GROUND WITH RELATIVE EASE. Like honestly the consistencies between the 2 shows. Anyways off of GT it was **** and I don't feel like ranting about it.

I honestly don't know much about DB, I also heard that when Goku met Bulma he was like.. 14?
When Gohan was 10 and went to Namek he was twice the size(and strength I suppose) so that doesnt make too much sense either.

And about abridged, I agree there 1 maybe 2 episodes that are lame, the one that comes to mind was one during the fight with Frieza.. when He goes from stage 2 Frieza to stage 3 and then 4, If I remember correctly I didnt like that one too much.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I think you're talking about Episode 26 of DBZ Abridged

Yeah, that's like the only one I didn't really like

BTW, Goku met Bulma when he was 12, IIRC

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'll just say a few things about GT:

It sucks ***. They tried to make it more like Dragonball at the beginning by giving it lame sitcom humor (Vegeta forced to go shopping with his daughter Bra? Really?) and turning Goku back into a kid, but they failed at that miserably so they tried to make it more action-oriented like Z, but even that didn't work because the fights were pretty ****ing boring and the villains weren't very good at all, either (only villain I seriously liked was Syn/Omega Shenron). Tien and Yamcha made like 2 or 3 appearances throughout the whole damn show, Launch still wasn't in it, Gohan was even more of a geek than he was during the Buu saga, Uub had potential but got **** on like every other fighter that isn't Goku in GT, Goten was useless as usual, Bra/Bulla didn't do ****, Pan didn't do **** either AND was annoying and bratty, Vegeta grew a mustache, and if you thought Z was bad with the whole "the humans became useless" thing, GT was even WORSE about that. Don't even get me started on GT Trunks. The Saiyan hybrids (Gohan, Goten, Trunks) pretty much took over the humans spot from Z as the new Z Fighters who aren't worth **** in a fight against a major villain. They even gave it a stupid *** rap for the American theme song that makes the rap in One Piece's theme sound like Tupac by comparison

/rant
dont forget the wrst part, which could be summed up in 4 words:

Super.

Saiyan.

Four.

Cannon.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I honestly hate the rap and shake my head everytime I hear it come on and quickly try to change the channel. I also agree with pretty much everything Metal has said. Especially Vegeta growing hair a mustache and his hair being shorter? SAIYANS DON'T GROW OR LOSE HAIR! >_>

The enemies were awful. There was a whip, there was BABY (it started out like a fetus thing, wtf), there was the giant baby machine thing that was according to Goku, "Stronger than Buu". Uh.... yeah no. GT logic, man. Then there is the Super 17 arc which is the shortest one, ever.

As for Super Saiyan 4, I don't mind it all that much actually. In fact, the Golden Oozaru (however you spell it) that refers to the one in the DBZ anime and how SS4 (I typed SSB4 first XD) is like the "original" Super Saiyan. Of course, GT was lame with it and Z would have done a better job, but it wasn't too bad compared to everything else.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
...Good point. XD But yeah, like seven episodes. It is almost as if they didn't plan that arc out. At all.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I will give GT one credit though, the ending.

Personally I liked it much better than both the original and Z, it just ended on a better note IMO. I remember watching the final episode and I just couldn't help but cry.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
DBZ by far, if we're talking directly about the anime.

People complain about DBZ filler, but compared to Naruto's it's nothing, even with GT. Naruto has several seasons of nothing but filler. lol

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The end of GT had Goku leave his family so he can become the dragon. @_@ Yeah, good ending. XD

The GT movie actually made me cry though. It wasn't too bad.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
DB, DBZ and GT all do a good job of demonstrating that Goku is a terrible father/husband.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
For all the flak GT gets, it's final saga, in concept, is pretty damn good. Having the titular objects of the 3 series become the source of power for seven super powerful dragons, and then having essentially the evil incarnation of the Eternal Dragon itself be the final and strongest villain was top notch. It was a much better use of the Earth Dragonballs than in DBZ's Buu saga, where they were used only twice, and Shenron's final appearance was 2 seconds long, 5 episodes before the last one.

The Shadow Dragon Saga just brought everything to a close, as far as the Dragonballs were concerned. It was great.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, it was nice to see the Dragonballs serve a different purpose at the end of GT instead of just wishing in order to fix things all the time, especially in Z. So it was nice to see GT actually poke a bit of fun at that. I think it could have been better excuted though.

I actually don't mind GT all that much once it picks up, but the first 25 or so episodes are pretty boring. The only constant thing I hate are Pan and Giru, they are the main reason that GT isn't as good as it could have been IMO.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The only good thing about GT was cigar Shenron.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes

Admittedly, I did like the ending, much better than Z's (even though he leaves his family in both endings, lol). I liked how Goku leaves Vegeta to be protector of Earth, how he has one last encounter with Piccolo and Krillin and Master Roshi before he goes off, and I did like the movie. Those are really the only things I can really give GT credit on

GT had potential and I can't completely hate it because of the ending, but in the end, they ****ed everything up massively

Every Shadow Dragon besides Syn Shenron looked dumb as hell, BTW

D

Deleted member

I liked GT for what it was, but I agree, the rap song was horrible.

*will respond to Holder later*

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Goku didn't even remember Chi Chi when she came up to marry him. XD He also did not raise a single dollar for his family, that fact is even mentioned in one of the episodes I think in the Cell saga. Although, he isn't necessarily a bad father and husband in the sense that he does love his family very much and trains to protect them.

What you guys mention about how GT ended I can understand. I remember talking to my brother about the last arc in GT. He mentioned that it was the best way to end the series, and I found myself agreeing with that. The amazing Dragon Balls where the series gets its namesake becomes the ultimate enemies. The concept is very good, yeah. The idea of a virus thing created by the fallen Tuffle race to kill the Saiyan race was also a good concept, it just wasn't very good because it could only be as good as GT would let it be (and it didn't have to be called Baby..)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The concept of Baby and the black star Dragonballs were good, but the way they executed it wasn't so good. At least they did end it, so there should be zero reason to continue with the series. As for the Super Saiyan 4, I always thought it was a great concept; a form achieved when a Golden Great Ape has control over its own mind, which has never been done previously. Had Gohan become a Golden Great Ape, he wouldn't be SSJ4, simply because he was too enraged to think straight, but had Vegeta kept his tail during the Android/Cell saga, he could've actually become SSJ4, which is interesting to think about in retrospect. Also, the design of the Super Saiyan 4 (as well as a few character designs) is the only known contribution Toriyama gave for Dragonball GT, as far as I know.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I honestly can't help myself but REALLY hate the design of SSJ4 just because of how inconsistent it is with the rest of the SSJs

I mean you go from

to

to

to finally

It just really throws me off when I see that SSJ4 is just a hairy version of Goku with some eye liner and normal black hair. Tbh I could've seen SSJ4 happening before GT, except I could've seen it being done better with a different design that just doesn't topple the entire appearance of SSJ. I also think it didn't need to have any longer hair than SSJ3 did because then that would've turned Goku into a walking carpet or something. Imo the best design for SSJ4 would've been something simple like a faint golden glow or something akin to the Full-Power SSJ except instead of having the hair all spiked up, they could've kept it like they do when they're not powered up

Or something

Top Bottom