• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some people should not host tournaments... (TL;DR's BEWARE!)

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
(If you went to the Ruston tourney, you can probably agree with this, and if you were one of the hosts, it was fun and I hate to be harsh, but it's the truth.)

Or if they do, they REALLY need to become more organized with it, because the tourney I went too in Ruston (I suppose a clusterf**k would be more fitting) was so crazy and unorganized, by the time it was my turn to fight, I was just so aggravated with all the bull**** that I just wanted to get it over with and go home.

-We had about 100 entrants.

-3 TV's. Widescreen Plasma TV's.

-Singles and Doubles. 3 stock. Double Elimination

-Common entrants were: Ike, DeDeDe, Metaknight, Pit, and surprisingly, a lot of Kirby's were there. This was funny for me, because I use Olimar and Ness (more on this later.)

-Out of me and my group, there were some guys who flew in from Dallas to play. They were actually really good. Come to think of it, I think they even won...

The big issues with the tournament however, is what I am about to discuss.

The tournament should have lasted about 3-4 hours, if it was managed correctly. It lasted about 8-9 hours. :urg:

The issues mainly revolved around this: Disorganized player ladders, random wii switchoffs, 5-10 minutes of downtime where no one would even be playing on a TV, VERY long matches (one lasted for 14 minutes), and we actually had to restart the tournament 30 minutes in.

When I say disorganized player ladders, I mean they didn't even go in order. They went to random brackets and just played them. This led to confusion and a lot of aggravated people. It was not so much "OMG I WANT TO PLAY NAO!" more than it was, "Man...I was ready and everything." I guess they did this so that the lower ladder wouldn't have to wait so long to get their turn, but by doing this, the middle brackets got screwed most of the time. This was probably the biggest culprit for boosting the hours. Also, they would randomly choose to do doubles while singles was going on. That was even worse.

Random Wii Switchoffs. Oh my frickin' god. This was just idiotic. Despite the people saying, "take your batteries out when you are finished so you don't interfere with the tv's," the people with the wii-mote controllers would power off their wii-mote WHILE THEY ARE STILL SYNCED, and as a result, the wii would switch off. This screwed a good amount of people. It screwed my friend especially. Solution? NO MORE WII MOTE CONTROLLERS IF YOU CAN'T HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR OTHER PLAYERS BY REMOVING YOUR FRICKIN' BATTERIES. It was so frequent, I do not exaggerate when I say that about an hour and a half of matches were lost because of this.

The downtime with no players on the tv was just a factor of the messed up ladder. It was still equally dumb.

The long matches issue was resolved near the second half of the tourney by turning on the time. You have no idea how much this needed to happen during the first half. Many people just said "screw it" by the time this occurred though. Can't complain though, three forfeit victories babeh, (cause I am da man.) :bee:

The restart at the beginning thing was because of technical difficulties, so I am not mad about that at all.

PROS:
-Great social environment.

-People who swallow their tongue when they realize that G&W, Ness, etc. don't "suck" as much as they thought.

-Hearing people go "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" after a simple spike with Ness. That just felt orgasmic. :laugh:

-All of my friends doing very well in the tournament, albeit being eliminated over really stupid crap.

-Using Olimar and being virtually the only one who did. Even if I used him just once.

CONS:
-Our crew lost over stupid crap. We either got too cocky and tried to get a gimp kill and in turn, killed ourselves, or were screwed over because the controller settings were tampered with and not going back to fix them. This only happened to our G&W user friend.

-Screwed up ladders

-The frickin random wii switchoffs. That pissed me off.

-Prolonged TV's being open.

-Very long matches

-the whole tournament took an ungodly amount of time to complete. This needs to be fixed indefinitely.

-MAN I GIMPED MYSELF! @#$@%#@%^@%@#%!@! :mad:

If you organize tourneys, please look over the cons and make sure that you eliminate them. :urg:

and in case you are wondering how it went:

There WERE pros to this tourney though. People made me feel like a king when I was a Ness because most have never saw a Ness do more than PK FIYUH, and PK THUNDUH. I was doing some crazy stuff to this one guy, and he was like O_o. Oh, and you bet your *** I spiked me some people. I felt bad for my second opponent though, for he was a 11 yr. old kid who just so happened to catch me in my :mad: mood. I spiked him at 6%. :laugh:

...:( I probably killed his motivation to get better. I shouldn't have spiked him so viciously. Meh. Continuing on.

I was the only Olimar there. XD I used him in one match, and they go, "OLLEHMAR?" I was fighting one of the Texas guys though who used Luigi. The match was deadly close, but he managed to get in the drop kick before my Upsmash got him. Oh well, more work for Olleh I guess.

Between me and my crew, we've managed to take out 20 people. My standing was 5-2. Yeah, I lost. I got too thickheaded and tried to PKT2 into this Toon Link who was basically screwed because I had two fresh stocks and he was 90% on his last stock and I went off the edge :mad:! Then he Uair'ed me when I was coming down for a spike. He got me. :(

Oh yeah, one of my buds used G&W, and did ridiculously good for his first time fighting other people. You should be happy for this. :laugh: Another of my friends used Ike and just ***** a bunch of people who doubted Ike's power.

I am sorry, but the biggest pro is hearing people go, "MAN, G&W? HE SUCKS!" or, "NESS? LUCAS IS BETTER" and just showing them how WRONG they are. :laugh:

It was fun, just could have been better with more preparation. If they can fix some of the glaring errors from last time, then I would have no problems going back, because the social enviroment was extremely friendly, even if 3/4's of the tournament goers were...cliche.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
If you organize tourneys, please look over the cons and make sure that you eliminate them.
-Our crew lost over stupid crap. We either got too cocky and tried to get a gimp kill and in turn, killed ourselves, or were screwed over because the controller settings were tampered with and not going back to fix them. This only happened to our G&W user friend.
-MAN I GIMPED MYSELF! @#$@%#@%^@%@#%!@!
Yep. A tourney organizer is definitely gonna fix those. Oh yeah.

Other than that... uh... try you know... actually talking to the organizers themselves about this? Instead of ranting about it on smashboards?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wholeheartedly agree.

These people, for instance. Other than that, I feel sorry for the Dallas people who flew in for such a ****ty tournament. 3 TV's? Come on! I've had Smashfests with more TVs than that!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I wholeheartedly agree.

These people, for instance. Other than that, I feel sorry for the Dallas people who flew in for such a ****ty tournament. 3 TV's? Come on! I've had Smashfests with more TVs than that!
Ok, mind explaining to me why such a ridiculous amount of items are allowed and 75M is not a banned stage?

Even Norfair is more acceptable than 75M.

The only items I could see being allowed out of that list that wouldn't be that big of a deal is: Smoke Ball, Screw Attack, Freezie, Spring, and Mr. Saturn. Those ain't grossly overpowered, and they are easily dodgeable, albeit screw attack and maybe freezie. Still though, items are spawned in exploding containers, and that factor alone is why none should be allowed.

and tell me about it, when me and our group went to Baton Rouge for Melee, they had 4 TV's, and there was only about 12 of us. We went and smashed with Lee (the guy who won the gamestop tournament) and even though our group was slaughtered it was still fun because it had a great environment and the people were the best of the best (at least around here.)

I don't think the Dallas people minded all that much, considering they won a TV and a Wii. :p

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Ok, mind explaining to me why such a ridiculous amount of items are allowed and 75M is not a banned stage?

The only items I could see being allowed out of that list that wouldn't be that big of a deal is: Smoke Ball, Screw Attack, Freezie, Spring, and Mr. Saturn. Those ain't grossly overpowered, and they are easily dodgeable, albeit screw attack and maybe freezie. Still though, items are spawned in exploding containers, and that factor alone is why none should be allowed.

and tell me about it, when me and our group went to Baton Rouge for Melee, they had 4 TV's, and there was only about 12 of us. We went and smashed with Lee (the guy who won the gamestop tournament) and even though our group was slaughtered it was still fun because it had a great environment and the people were the best of the best (at least around here.)

I don't think the Dallas people minded all that much, considering they won a TV and a Wii. :p

He was saying people like that SHOULDN'T host tournaments. Also, you can turn of crates and stuff now. Items still have no place in tournaments though.

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
whoa whoa, i went to that tournament and for the tournament matches items were off. maybe a FFA beforehand might have had items on but that's it. and dear god yes it was long as hell and the tv downtime was probably the biggest killer of it it because tvs would stay open for a long time. But that was the only real make or break thing for that tournament. Otherwise I had alot of fun. My whole group got at least top 16 and one of us made it to the finals. I got top 16 first round with lucario then top 8 2nd round with zelda and got to semifinals with me as zelda and with a wolf in doubles. Everytime i lost it, it was to the kirby crew, 1st round-kirby, 2nd round- metaknight, teams- meta and D3.

And the ratio of characters? Pikachu and Kirby were by FAR the most used. granted only one pika and kirby got far, but they were the ppl i play with so i expected it. I was one of 2 lucarios and 1 of 3 zeldas. But the funny thing was what i called in the first round of the 1st part of the singles,there would be 3 metaknights in the semis and low and behold that's what happened. I'm not gonna say Metaknight's overpowered because i dont think he is, but i think we'll see a crapload win tourneys.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
whoa whoa, i went to that tournament and for the tournament matches items were off. maybe a FFA beforehand might have had items on but that's it. and dear god yes it was long as hell and the tv downtime was probably the biggest killer of it it because tvs would stay open for a long time. But that was the only real make or break thing for that tournament. Otherwise I had alot of fun. My whole group got at least top 16 and one of us made it to the finals. I got top 16 first round with lucario then top 8 2nd round with zelda and got to semifinals with me as zelda and with a wolf in doubles. Everytime i lost it, it was to the kirby crew, 1st round-kirby, 2nd round- metaknight, teams- meta and D3.

And the ratio of characters? Pikachu and Kirby were by FAR the most used. granted only one pika and kirby got far, but they were the ppl i play with so i expected it. I was one of 2 lucarios and 1 of 3 zeldas. But the funny thing was what i called in the first round of the 1st part of the singles,there would be 3 metaknights in the semis and low and behold that's what happened. I'm not gonna say Metaknight's overpowered because i dont think he is, but i think we'll see a crapload win tourneys.
I never said there were items in the match. :p

I dunno man, but I got nothing but Toon link and Ike, and the same thing can be said for my friends. XD

You sound familiar, where you that guy with the glasses and the green shirt? Vague description I know, but I was the guy with the tag "ALAMO." I only say this because I saw one Zelda, everyone else was croding the screens 90% of the time.

and yeah, I know that kirby. He was that guy who had his girl with him in the white jacket?

He was a beastly Kirby.

But it still pisses me off I lost to that caped guy. :(

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
the guy in the green shirt with glasses was my friend, but i did fight him the 2nd part of the tourney and I was Zelda and he was Samus. I was the guy in the New York hoodie. I fought that other dallas guy who lost with Zelda too, I got him down to 1 life but that's all i could do. I was kinda proud of myself for that since everyone else was getting 3 stocked by them both lol.

And yea that's the Kirby i was talking about. He knew how to fight my lucario since we all play with each other alot. Sadly i did not go with my gut instinct and pick zelda like i should have.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I felt bad for my second opponent though, for he was a 11 yr. old kid who just so happened to catch me in my :mad: mood. I spiked him at 6%. :laugh:

...:( I probably killed his motivation to get better. I shouldn't have spiked him so viciously. Meh.
Ah, poor kid. :'( Hope he didn't give up altogether--the community needs a generation for us to pass the torch onto one day. XD

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
Oh yea, there was one other Olimar there and I had to fight him i think in the winners bracket with my Lucario and I beat him i think right before i lost to kirby.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman

this belongs to that other thread XD

vegta12

Smash Rookie
I never said there were items in the match. :p

I dunno man, but I got nothing but Toon link and Ike, and the same thing can be said for my friends. XD

You sound familiar, where you that guy with the glasses and the green shirt? Vague description I know, but I was the guy with the tag "ALAMO." I only say this because I saw one Zelda, everyone else was croding the screens 90% of the time.

and yeah, I know that kirby. He was that guy who had his girl with him in the white jacket?

He was a beastly Kirby.

But it still pisses me off I lost to that caped guy. :(
hey lavis i was the guy with the green shirt and glasses and i played pikachu most of the time, the best pikachu i can say without being cocky :p. people were amazed how i was chain throwing people haha.

im sad i didnt get to face u dude. the people from shreveport know about ness and g&w :p.
thanks for the pros and cons and hopfully it can be made better. Blank entertainment doesnt really know about games it was my friend ben who had to do it all by himself and out of all of us i had the most tournament experience. We are going to try to get another going most likely and im pretty sure he learned from the messed up stuff. Next time i hope i get to play you dude.

Mamush

Smash Cadet
hey lavis i was the guy with the green shirt and glasses and i played pikachu most of the time, the best pikachu i can say without being cocky :p. people were amazed how i was chain throwing people haha.

im sad i didnt get to face u dude. the people from shreveport know about ness and g&w :p.
thanks for the pros and cons and hopfully it can be made better. Blank entertainment doesnt really know about games it was my friend ben who had to do it all by himself and out of all of us i had the most tournament experience. We are going to try to get another going most likely and im pretty sure he learned from the messed up stuff. Next time i hope i get to play you dude.
Yeah, I also was amazed at how low you went when you chain grabbed me. I felt like I had been cheated, because there was nothing I could do and to make matters worse...you ended up losing the next match after that. Thanks...

With that said, I'm kind of glad you lost. XD

But enough complaining, at least now I know who NOT to use if I ever get to play you again. haha

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I also was amazed at how low you went when you chain grabbed me. I felt like I had been cheated, because there was nothing I could do and to make matters worse...you ended up losing the next match after that. Thanks...

With that said, I'm kind of glad you lost. XD

But enough complaining, at least now I know who NOT to use if I ever get to play you again. haha
please say that match was me lol

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
wow, sounded a real pain in the behicular areas. So, did you win anything? also, you mentioned that there were a lot of TL players there, as a TL mainer myself, im interested as if there were any similarities in their play styles, like how the probably were spamming dair a little. that kind of thing. but, you probably didn't notice anything much, but if you did, that would help.

but in that situation, it sounds like they were kinda in over-their-head, doesn't it?

so, they possibly got some more people to help, and that explains why they restarted the tournament.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera

He was a beastly Kirby.
That was me :). Thanks. Me and my girlfriend did teams together and did pretty well too.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Random Wii Switchoffs. Oh my frickin' god. This was just idiotic. Despite the people saying, "take your batteries out when you are finished so you don't interfere with the tv's," the people with the wii-mote controllers would power off their wii-mote WHILE THEY ARE STILL SYNCED, and as a result, the wii would switch off. This screwed a good amount of people. It screwed my friend especially. Solution? NO MORE WII MOTE CONTROLLERS IF YOU CAN'T HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR OTHER PLAYERS BY REMOVING YOUR FRICKIN' BATTERIES. It was so frequent, I do not exaggerate when I say that about an hour and a half of matches were lost because of this.
This was being discussed in the SBR. One possible solution was having the host buy a cheap 20 pack of batteries and if you use a wiimote, you MUST use host batteries and return them after your match.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
God TC, if you want to tell us about the tournament, then just do it. We don't need your tourney description riddled with your personal excuses about you and your friends gimping yourselves...

LavisFiend

Smash Lord

I tried to get a chance to talk to Ben, but it was far too crazy for my word to get to him. I also wanted to test my Ness against his. Never got the chance. :(

Honestly man, and I mean this, it was fun, but it really needs to be organized better next time. It REALLY, REALLY does. If the problems are solved, than me and the guys will come back for another romp (and I will not kill myself out of the tournament this time. :urg:)

Just emphasize more TV's, no wii-motes (and if they use them, well...we have to figure out a way to cut down on wii switchoffs) and timed matches. It was going pretty fast near the end once we picked up momentum.

but yea, I definetly have to battle ya. Tell Ben that this time he got lucky, but next time, he will fight my Ness. :laugh:

wow, sounded a real pain in the behicular areas. So, did you win anything? also, you mentioned that there were a lot of TL players there, as a TL mainer myself, im interested as if there were any similarities in their play styles, like how the probably were spamming dair a little. that kind of thing. but, you probably didn't notice anything much, but if you did, that would help.

but in that situation, it sounds like they were kinda in over-their-head, doesn't it?

so, they possibly got some more people to help, and that explains why they restarted the tournament.
The only thing I won was the shame of killing myself out of the tournament. It would have been different if I was doing bad, but I was slaughtering the guy. :( I did buy a shirt though. =P

Well, I forget the guy's name, but a guy who flew in from Dallas used a TL, and his strategy was mainly chunking bombs and the boomerang to keep a person at bay so he could go in for the grab. He would usually finish with the double forward slash or the Uair. I fought two Toon Links, one was the kid, and another was some dude in a cape. The kid was nothing special, mainly just spamming forward slash and downstab, the caped guy did a lot of fairs and used the arrows A LOT, but again, it was nothing consistent. The guy from Dallas though who approached with projectiles for the grab had a very effective strategy against heavier characters though. The heavy character 8 times out of 10 couldn't lay a finger on him.

Hope that helps any.

God TC, if you want to tell us about the tournament, then just do it. We don't need your tourney description riddled with your personal excuses about you and your friends gimping yourselves...
I edited the description down towards the bottom, so it doesen't interfere with anything. Better? :bee::bee:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Lawl

I tried to get a chance to talk to Ben, but it was far too crazy for my word to get to him. I also wanted to test my Ness against his. Never got the chance.
You should come up for some friendlies. And you could have your Ness vs. Ness match

Mamush

Smash Cadet
Lawl

You should come up for some friendlies. And you could have your Ness vs. Ness match
Lavis and I road up there with a bunch of friends in the same car. I was the guy with the sock hat who used Ike and beat the Kirby guy with the bigger sock hat after I had killed myself.

And am I the only one who thought that the lady on the microphone was so loud that she did NOT need one? XD

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Lavis and I road up there with a bunch of friends in the same car. I was the guy with the sock hat who used Ike and beat the Kirby guy with the bigger sock hat after I had killed myself.

And am I the only one who thought that the lady on the microphone was so loud that she did NOT need one? XD
OOOOOH I remember you. I was rooting for you but at the same time rooting for him. I wanted to own that guy with my own Kirby cause I felt all other Kirbys needed an *** whooping from mine. But that was a close match.

PK Thunder

Smash Rookie
OOOOOH I remember you. I was rooting for you but at the same time rooting for him. I wanted to own that guy with my own Kirby cause I felt all other Kirbys needed an *** whooping from mine. But that was a close match.
Don't listen to this guy, he's a fraud. I friggin 26 stocked his Kirby with my Wolf. Claude is the lamesauce.

Top Bottom