• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some notes about Dsmash

DoubleAgentXies616

Smash Rookie
Also don't use it too much, when Zss is in a good position (enemy is in the air, and you try to punish his landing).
I can guarantee you, a good player will get hit by Downsmash just rarely. Also when the Downsmash doesn't hit the enemy, your good position is gone. The chance to make damage is lost, because you tried to do a hard read. We should just play more flexible, using more dtilt, grab and dash attack to get landings, and reading the movements of the movements in the air. This is what Zss can do at her best, so don't waste this, because of using to much Dsmash.
The clue is, when using Dsmash more less, you will get the enemy more often. He won't await it, because of your variation and you get also a psychological advantage.
Less is more!
I do agree. In those cases, a charged b would be better. A side-b would be better.
And as for edgeguarding, it just MAY land, I do believe it's a very good way to punish if it lands. Again, it's not that likely.

But we can agree it's very good for grounded combat, right? since it's fast and has a good hitbox?

SoulJoker

Smash Cadet
I have been trying to use it less myself. One thing that I find that works well is using it to punish landing lag. In terms of MK planking I just stand at a range where the hit box either charged or not will be able to hit if there is any error in their movement. Its works well for pressure on the ledge, but the moment they get any invincibility frames it better to jump away and charge a b or go for a punish if possible.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I see almost every Zss (including me) using Downsmash too much. We are building our game around this move.
But there is point I learned in Japan:
The Downsmash isn't THAT good on 2012 anymore.
I got wrecked in Japan using it too much.

It just starts on situations, when the two players are on a neutral position.
Just take Metaknight against Zss. Some people may say, Zss has to play defensive as ****, and it may be true. But never, never use the Downsmash too much. The Downsmash isn't safe, Metaknight can approach so easily avoiding Downsmash (Tornado from above, perfect timed Dash Attack, Running Powershieldgrab, etc.) and when she gets one time in a bad position, she can only hope, that Mk is doing a mistake.

Also don't use it too much, when Zss is in a good position (enemy is in the air, and you try to punish his landing).
I can guarantee you, a good player will get hit by Downsmash just rarely. Also when the Downsmash doesn't hit the enemy, your good position is gone. The chance to make damage is lost, because you tried to do a hard read. We should just play more flexible, using more dtilt, grab and dash attack to get landings, and reading the movements of the movements in the air. This is what Zss can do at her best, so don't waste this, because of using to much Dsmash.
The clue is, when using Dsmash more less, you will get the enemy more often. He won't await it, because of your variation and you get also a psychological advantage.
Less is more!

The last point, is guarding the edge. Let's just pick Metaknight again. He is planking like a idiot. So DON'T try to get them with Dsmash, you won't get him with Dsmash (or Side-B), if he knows the Matchup. Maybe you will lose this good situation, making pressure on him, if you just spam this two moves.
If you just wait, standing there (close enough on the edge, but not so close he can get you with uair, up-b, or something), you can punish EVERY movement of Mk, when he tries to get to the stage back again. Just try it.

Some of my new experience i made the last time.
I also play some friendlies without using Dsmash, and it worked surprisingly good. And if you learn to use this move better, you will love it even more.
DSmash to Up B to Dsmash to Up B.....With sweetspot on the up b to connect a meteor smash, would that be an infinite? (Not counting techs)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
No. They can DI the dsmash to avoid the sweetspot of upB, or they can SDI the first few hits of upB to avoid the meteor smash, or they can DI the spike to avoid your dsmash range

Top Bottom