• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh wow, this thread got a lot more traction than I thought it would. I really should update the OP huh?
Glad to see so many people kept up this discussion in my absence lol, I still think any anime fighter rep would be absolutely perfect in smash, especially after seeing the immense love that Terry got (such a sick addition btw)
I still think Sol would be the Sakurai's choice, given that this happens, so I'm still gonna campaign for him.
Gonna comb through this thread now to see what y'all have been talking about
Yeah, it's always nice to gain some traction and interest from other people.
Even if Sol doesn't make it into Smash, which honestly I think it wouldn't be a surprise, at least talking about him and even him being part of rumours and leaks helps him to gain support and interest from GG or other ArcSys games.

But I would agree on one thing, if Sakurai decides to include a character from a anime fighting game I think Sol has the best shot. And maybe I'm wrong but if we will get another fighting character in the next pass I think Sol is second after Heihachi or another Tekken rep.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh yeah, Faust's new trailer is pretty sick. He looks super creepy!
I was expecting a new tease but I guess we will have to wait longer for that.

heyo im a big sol supporter so i decided to make a spirit thing for him if he got in!!
Oh, this is actually super cool! I must confess that I'm a bit surprised to see Millia and Baiken as 3 stars while Ky has only 2 haha

I really like it :)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah that's probably fair, probs should have switched Millia and Baiken. Must confess i am something of a guilty gear casual
Don't worry I'm not precisely a GG expert so you're not alone lol

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen shilling Sol in the Newcomer thread is always good. At least that helps to gain some attention on GG

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do wonder if they would use the XX or Xrd/Strive art for the characters, not like one is any friendlier for Smash tone given some portraits like Baiken.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
sometimes I'm surprised at the nonsense my dreams can come up with, I saw Baiken being announced...for Jump Force. She looked absolutely horrible.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hey guys. I'm a pretty new Guilty Gear fan. It was about two months ago I bought the original GG on Switch but since then I have played every single cannon entry. Really fell in love with the series. It has without a doubt become my favorite fighting game series. I would really love to see Sol join Smash. In fact he's currently my second most wanted 3rd party(right behind Sora and 3rd overall). So yeah please add me to the supporter list.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey guys. I'm a pretty new Guilty Gear fan. It was about two months ago I bought the original GG on Switch but since then I have played every single cannon entry. Really fell in love with the series. It has without a doubt become my favorite fighting game series. I would really love to see Sol join Smash. In fact he's currently my second most wanted 3rd party(right behind Sora and 3rd overall). So yeah please add me to the supporter list.
Happy to see you enjoying the games :D
Which is your favourite entry so far?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Happy to see you enjoying the games :D
Which is your favourite entry so far?
I think Sign. Which seems weird at first since Rev 2 is just bigger Sign but all things equal I felt the story mode was more interesting in Sign. Same with the arcade modes. Ram declaring war on the world is way more interesting than people complaining about shady stuff going down in Japan until you watch the story mode. But of the 2D entries my favorite was probably +R. They really got the 2D games perfected before they went to 3D.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Looks like they went to Arc System Works for something...

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Poggers. It probably means as much as Capcom being approached for the RE spirits, which could very well be nothing, but intriguing none the less.

amageish

Smash Master
I hope this means we'll get something more ArcSys in Smash, as being approached for Spirits when you have no other content seems to be a good-ish sign (at least it worked well for ATLUS having TMS#FE spirits in the base game, though the Koei and Marvelous spirits haven't meant much yet). I'd like River City to get some Brawler costumes if nothing else...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
holy **** this was unexpected

Don't count out Double Dragon or BlazBlue, but I think Sol definitely seems more likely now.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Poggers. It probably means as much as Capcom being approached for the RE spirits, which could very well be nothing, but intriguing none the less.
I think that has a bit more impact than the RE spirits though, as ArkSys hasn't been involved at all before this(Unless I am forgetting something). This showcases that they have talked at least.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Them talking to Arc is nice to see. Also with Strive, I know they wanted to appeal to a broader audience. There aren't really any better ways to appeal to the masses than an appearance in Smash. While ultimately up to Sakurai and such, I would bet Arc Sys at least spoke with them about it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Alright you guys, I don't do much fighting game stuff outside of smash. What would be cool about Sol? What would their gimmick be? (not good at tricky inputs)

D

Deleted member

I feel really positive about Sol Badguy right now.

He would be quite a great character to add in order to represent the company that arguably rules the current fighting game scene in general between Guilty Gear, DB FighterZ and Blazblue.
This RiverCity Spirit event does let us see they are having a presence in Smash, which is already a really great reason to start feeling positive.

Not to mention that getting Guilty Gear music in Smash would be really awesome.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
lmao I just ****in saw the new spirit event
At this point I think almost any third party franchise could get the spirit treatment, no matter if the IP is famous (Resident Evil) or classic and a bit forgotten like Kunio.

Of course, this doesn't mean anything but you can always argue they maybe negotiated more things with ArcSys, which honestly I think is relatively possible. Maybe not a playable rep from ArcSys. I honestly would be happy if Guilty Gear and/or Blazblue get some representation: Mii Costumes, a spirit event... of course, I would like Sol as playable.

We will have to wait and see, not holding my breath for Sol but if he happens that would be hype af

Alright you guys, I don't do much fighting game stuff outside of smash. What would be cool about Sol? What would their gimmick be? (not good at tricky inputs)
Well, you have this moveset video which I think is pretty nice. Maybe a bit too complex for Smash but hey, it does a nice job explaining Sol and his moves

He could potentially bring air dashes, roman cancels maybe even instant kills.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Should Sol be mii costumed (I think it's likelier they won't give GG representation than that), he'll better come with a track, GG soundtrack is too good to let it pass like that. Would be a shame that'd spare us from Ishiwatari making a cool artwork to celebrate the occasion though.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Sign me up for the support list.

I think he is much more likely now after the Kunio Spirit event, and either him or Ragna would be amazing to have in Smash.

And I do think that Sol would definitely be the rep. As much as I would love to see him in the game, adding Ragna first would be like adding Kyo before Terry, or somethig like that.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna just say that I am very confident in Sol right now. Probs in my top 5 most likely characters overall.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I know nothing is set in stone, but its amazing that when this thread was created, Sol was described as “a total, absolute pipe dream”.

And now he is considered by many to be very likely after the River City event. Just goes to show that no pipe dream is impossible when it comes to this game, no matter how improbable. (Except for non video game characters and explicitly deconfirmed ones)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I know nothing is set in stone, but its amazing that when this thread was created, Sol was described as “a total, absolute pipe dream”.

And now he is considered by many to be very likely after the River City event. Just goes to show that no pipe dream is impossible when it comes to this game, no matter how improbable. (Except for non video game characters and explicitly deconfirmed ones)
Yeah, you're probably right.
Not that I think he's likely, but I guess that the first fighter pass has changed our perceptions. Sol doesn't look virtually impossible anymore.

As I said, I'd gladly take some Guilty Gear representation. That's better than I would expect, honestly.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nice musical selection if you ask me.

Daisuke Ishiwatari has said that he's well aware that the UI for Strive is utter dog **** and was 80% of the negative feedback on the demo
No surprise for me. While I don't think it looks bad as an UI, it doesn't fit Guilty Gear at all... if Strive's music was more pop then the UI would make sense, but they're sticking with the rock and the metal, so that UI doesn't look the best option for the game.

Also, I don't know if I like the "COUNTER!" thing. It's cool at first but looks like the kind of thing that I will eventually dislike. I think it's a bit too intrusive.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nice musical selection if you ask me.
I'd rather have XX's Keep Yourself Alive. Also, what do you think about this for his classic mode:
It'd be more like something involving references to its characters IMO, like:
1. Red Zelda with Oshawott Poke Ball on Pirate Ship Ω (May)
2. Green ROB who prefers grabs on Midgar Ω (Potemkin)
3. Black Greninja with triple jumps that takes double damage on Suzaku Castle Ω (Chipp)
4. Giant Dr. Mario with Killing Edge on Midgar Ω, items on high instead of off (Faust)
5. White Lucina who prefers Counter on Suzaku Castle Ω (Baiken)
6. White Marth with Screw Attack on Temple Ω (Ky)
Boss: Red Bayonetta on Norfair Ω (I-No)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
We Need More Fighting game characters in Smash;

Such as Heihachi & Sol; alongside Terry, Ken & Ryu!!
Glad to see that energy.

I'm really hoping for another fighting character in the upcoming pass. 2 fighting reps doesn't seem likely, but 1 more? Yeah.

Top Bottom