• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Pretty sure all the characters that are locks have already been revealed, being the characters from the original Guilty Gear. Besides Kliff I guess, cause he's dead lmao.
Seeing as Strive is more or less a "reboot" and it's redefining Guilty Gear's playstyle as a whole, they might start off with a smaller cast than people anticipate. I really don't see it going beyond 15 characters to be honest. Hell, Granblue Fantasy Versus only had 11 characters in its base game.
If we're getting 15 characters, I can honestly see the following 5 being:
-Testament: A way to honour Kliff. Seeing that he's his adoptive son it would be a nice homage. He's a big fan favourite as well. He might've been dropped from Xrd, but was in every game before that.
-Sin Kiske: A very important character that debuted in Overture. C'mon he's Sol's companion, I can't see him not get in.
-A Valentine: I'm personally betting on Ramlethal with a new playstyle. The Valentines have been a big plot element since Overture, and they've only been expanding upon it in Xrd. I can't see them dropping them any time soon. They might also just introduce a new Valentine altogether.
-A brand new character: no explaining here, I don't think Samurai dude will be the only brand-new character in this game.
-A character that has been present in GG's story, but has not been made playable yet: Think à la Raven and Jack-O'. They've both been present since Guilty Gear X, yet have only been playable in Xrd. I can honestly see this character being That Man (now called Asuka). It would be a nice way to surprise long-time fans.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey guys it's Ninty!

So I think I'm finally starting to be confident in Sol, with things like the presence of ArcSystemWorks Spirits, his many appearances in crossovers, the impact GG has had on modern fighting games as a whole, his relevance from Strive, and his moveset potential that really stands out a lot from other fighting game characters makes me think he could actually be in.

I think things are looking really good for him, and who says you can't have two fighting game characters in the same pass when the first one had three RPG characters?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Hey guys it's Ninty!

So I think I'm finally starting to be confident in Sol, with things like the presence of ArcSystemWorks Spirits, his many appearances in crossovers, the impact GG has had on modern fighting games as a whole, his relevance from Strive, and his moveset potential that really stands out a lot from other fighting game characters makes me think he could actually be in.

I think things are looking really good for him, and who says you can't have two fighting game characters in the same pass when the first one had three RPG characters?
Oh hey! what a coincidence, I just started following you on Twitter recently lmao.

I've been confident in an ArcSystemWorks rep ever since the Kunio-kun spirit event was a thing, and since Sol's basically the face of the company at this point (due to him and other GG characters being used for most crossovers, for example the recent Epic Seven crossover) it just makes sense for it to be him. Which also lines up for me perfectly, since Guilty Gear has to be my favorite fighting game franchise.
The spirit event also took place right after Byleth's reveal, so possibly during the time where Nintendo made the talks with other companies for Fighter Pass 2?

I might be looking too hard into it, but it would be kinda weird for the only ArcSys property to be represented in Smash to not be one of their megahit fighting games they're so known for. Guilty Gear XX is also the next big 2D influential fighting game that needs to be represented in some way, after KOF and SF that is. A lot of fighters nowadays use mechanics that have been introduced there. Heck, it basically shaped the Anime Fighter genre.

Also think about the diversity in music Guilty Gear would bring. We will finally have actual metal/hard rock tracks in Smash. Absolute feverdream right there.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Hey guys it's Ninty!

I assume you're talking about the ARMS character, and I wouldn't worry about that. I feel like one of the biggest reasons they were able to get away with having three JRPG characters in FP1 is because all the games the characters were from were drastically different in tone, themes and mechanics. Persona 5 is a monster catcher/stylish action. Dragon Quest is classic/cartoon fantasy and Fire Emblem is strategic/war. Obviously, ARMS is unlike any traditional 2D fighting game or any competitive fighting game in general so I'm pretty sure they could add Sol, Scorpion, Heihachi or Nightmare in this pass as well and no one would be upset much except for a few purists.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
New character for Guilty Gear Strive to be announced on June 9. You can see it in the second pic of the tweet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Remember that Strive will also appear at New Expo Plus on June 23.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
New character for Guilty Gear Strive to be announced on June 9. You can see it in the second pic of the tweet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Remember that Strive will also appear at New Expo Plus on June 23.

Ooooh let's go! Finally something non-Smash related I can look forward to lmao. Seriously this lockdown has been really dull...
Personally hoping for Slayer, Zappa, Bridget or Testament. But let's be fair it's probably going to be Sin. Which I don't have much of a problem with.
C'mon ArcSys, surprise me!

Who are you hoping for?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ooooh let's go! Finally something non-Smash related I can look forward to lmao. Seriously this lockdown has been really dull...
Personally hoping for Slayer, Zappa, Bridget or Testament. But let's be fair it's probably going to be Sin. Which I don't have much of a problem with.
C'mon ArcSys, surprise me!

Who are you hoping for?
i am and always will be vouching for zappa until he does come back
which admittedly is pretty unlikely, given his appearance in xrd and what that established

man

now that i think about it

a guilty gear dream match game would be sick af

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm expecting that oni mask cyber samurai dude personally
Yeah, I think it's gonna be him.

But if not, then I don't know. Slayer or Baiken are popular requests, but I have a feeling ArcSys will keep these characters for DLC.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
ArcSys has just shared their first update about the feedback they received during the beta.

https://www.arcsystemworks.jp/guiltygear/db/en/

They have discussed the high damage, the UI, the complains about the gatling system, among other things.
Sol, Ky and May, in that order, were the most used characters. Bridget is the most wanted character from japanese players, while Baiken was the most requested in Asia, North America and Europe, with Johnny and Dizzy always ranking high in these lists.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
ArcSys has just shared their first update about the feedback they received during the beta.

They have discussed the high damage, the UI, the complains about the gatling system, among other things.
Sol, Ky and May, in that order, were the most used characters. Bridget is the most wanted character from japanese players, while Baiken was the most requested in Asia, North America and Europe, with Johnny and Dizzy always ranking high in these lists.
I think it might be a bit too late into development for them considering new characters in the base game (if these aren't already in), but this will definitely affect DLC. If both Baiken and Johnny aren't either either DLC or in the base game already, that'll be really weird. The evaluations are something I completely agree with, glad the Online Lobby did so bad, that was a mess.

I'm glad Johnny's chances are looking good again, always loved that smuggy guy! Though Slayer isn't looking good...

But on the other hand, for the UI

Capture.PNG

MY HOPE HAS BEEN RESTORED

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm glad Johnny's chances are looking good again, always loved that smuggy guy! Though Slayer isn't looking good...
I have to disagree here. Slayer is on every list and I would say any name that appears on multiple lists has great chances.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

well it's very nice that they're actually ironing it out, as i was worried that they would just ignore any criticism

also smdh no sign of zappa in any of the polls, the world has failed me

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I have to disagree here. Slayer is on every list and I would say any name that appears on multiple lists has great chances.
Yeah, completely true, my bad. I just thought he'd be more popular, I have a bias for him lol.

well it's very nice that they're actually ironing it out, as i was worried that they would just ignore any criticism

OH GOD YOURE RIGHT NOOOO... Don't lose hope yet, he can still make it in!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Is anyone else surprised about Order Sol doing so well in Japan? He's really cool but I never expected him to crack the top 10 anywhere let alone make 5th.
Yeah, completely true, my bad. I just thought he'd be more popular, I have a bias for him lol.
I feel you, I love Slayer too. I really want him back.

No Zappa, no Bedman, but at least Europe and Asia didn't let me down with Testament.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Is anyone else surprised about Order Sol doing so well in Japan? He's really cool but I never expected him to crack the top 10 anywhere let alone make 5th.
Hopefully this might push them to make him an alt or something. I'd be completely down for that, I still love his theme in XX to this day man.

A bit sad though that ABA just completely disappeared from everyone's consciousness. I'd like to see her return, in fact the entire XX cast would be amazing to see in this game.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Only a few more days until the next reveal! What are your predictions?
My bet is the samurai newcomer. They've got all (or at least the most reoccurring) veterans back and it feels like the time do show him off. I can't really see them holding him off until the very end.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
My bet is the samurai newcomer. They've got all (or at least the most reoccurring) veterans back and it feels like the time do show him off. I can't really see them holding him off until the very end.
It would be really nice to see completely new things such as the samurai guy. I don't know if he will be next but I also have the feeling that he will be one of the next reveals.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Erm? How exactly do you know its in an few more days? For all we know it could be the 16th coinciding with the games 3rd year anniversary.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i don't really want the samurai dude, unless he's with another character

i wanna see at least one veteran who isn't one of the obvious ones before we get to the newcomers

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Sol would be cool. GG plays very differently to SF and KOF so we could see its mechanics in the fighter, and I love his character design.

Also the music. THE MUSIC

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
This might turn out to be a hectic week if Smash also ends up revealing their new fighter this week lmao.

This week is looking really good...

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Man, so many delays...
At least it’s not a long one.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Glad to see Arc is taking into account feedback on the game, I recently played the open beta and I do admit there were things about it that felt off from previous installments, but hearing they're putting in the effort especially given the delay makes me so happy to hear!

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Don't know if you guys are following this, but Sol Badguy made it onto Source Gaming's Mega SmashPoll! It isn't really surprising, since the poll features 1000 characters...
But which spot from 1-1000 do you think he'll be taking? Any spot in the first hundred would be amazing in my book!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hmmmmm I'd say top 300, with an optimistic good chance of top 200, would be amazing to see him above 100 though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Didn't know that the poll had that many characters.

Well, maybe I'm really optimistic but I could see him being among the top 100. But top 200 seems more realistic.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
looks like we finally got our first Xrd character in Ramlethal, was kinda hoping we'd see the new guy or someone entirely new over a veteran, but eh. I guess we only need to see the X series get some love next.
Now to wait until August or the next Smash reveal if it happens by then

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
aaaaaand it's ram. everyone, pretend you're surprised.

nahhhh but she looks cool. i'll admit i actually like her new design better than her xrd getup

also AUGUST JESUS CHRIST I DON'T WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn't expect her to be announced now, honestly. I really dig her new redesign. She looks fun!
But waiting until August isn't cool lol

Anyway they said more GG news in the New Expo Plus which is around the 23th? Maybe a new gameplay or something.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Damn I really have to say, Ram looks AMAZING! I have completely fallen in love with her redesign. I just need to see her shark teeth, I know they're there c'mon. I'm not a big fan of her new theme however, her previous one still blows it out of the water. But hey, maybe I just need to listen to more of it.

Like I predicted, she seems to have a a bit of a different overhaul in her playstyle. She throws her sword as an attack directly instead summoning one in front of the opponent like in Xrd, which also makes me think that her unique combination attacks might be gone too? They weren't anywhere in the trailer so it would seem so. Honestly, a bit glad for these changes, because Ramlethal in her Xrd's state is one of the characters that would break Strive due to the gameplay changes. And she looks super cool! I'm definitely hyped to play as her.

Anyways, Ramlethal was a pretty safe pick to bet on, she's one of the fan-favourites of Xrd. I'm still a bit shocked she was revealed so soon. Even before Sin... talking about Sin, where the heck is that guy lmao. Maybe in August? Damn, what a long wait... Though I'd definitely love some X/X2 appreciation now lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Damn I really have to say, Ram looks AMAZING! I have completely fallen in love with her redesign. I just need to see her shark teeth, I know they're there c'mon. I'm not a big fan of her new theme however, her previous one still blows it out of the water. But hey, maybe I just need to listen to more of it.

Like I predicted, she seems to have a a bit of a different overhaul in her playstyle. She throws her sword as an attack directly instead summoning one in front of the opponent like in Xrd, which also makes me think that her unique combination attacks might be gone too? They weren't anywhere in the trailer so it would seem so. Honestly, a bit glad for these changes, because Ramlethal in her Xrd's state is one of the characters that would break Strive due to the gameplay changes. And she looks super cool! I'm definitely hyped to play as her.

Anyways, Ramlethal was a pretty safe pick to bet on, she's one of the fan-favourites of Xrd. I'm still a bit shocked she was revealed so soon. Even before Sin... talking about Sin, where the heck is that guy lmao. Maybe in August? Damn, what a long wait... Though I'd definitely love some X/X2 appreciation now lol.
Sin's busy buying burgers to bribe Ram to get in the base roster too.

Also shark teeth were shown in the trailer
Ramlethal-Valentine-Guilty-Gear-Strive-Screenshots-2.png

They're better in motion and less cartoony but they're here

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Sin's busy buying burgers to bribe Ram to get in the base roster too.

Also shark teeth were shown in the trailer
View attachment 274685
They're better in motion and less cartoony but they're here
I'm falling more and more in love with her new redesign

BUT WE NEED MORE SHARK TEETH
EaV99_pX0AMWSML.jpg

Though, seriously. I really believe they aced this redesign, best redesign in Strive yet for me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm falling more and more in love with her new redesign

BUT WE NEED MORE SHARK TEETH
View attachment 274686

Though, seriously. I really believe they aced this redesign, best redesign in Strive yet for me.
I bet her teeth will become especially pronounced during her IK, like your example. Cause while Strive wants to change a lot of stuff, I doubt the flashy ass IKs would get removed

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I bet her teeth will become especially pronounced during her IK, like your example. Cause while Strive wants to change a lot of stuff, I doubt the flashy ass IKs would get removed
Instant Kills are a pretty big feature of Guilty Gear. I don't think they'll be removed, despite Strive striving (pun intended) for big changes. I don't think the movesets of characters are even finished yet too. There was no mention of Sol's Dragon Install anywhere in the beta. It could very well be they'll just incorporate it into his IK however.

Top Bottom