• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I got a ****ty USB N64 controller someone teach me how to netplay
Hmm... I assume most people (including myself, I also use a separate build for anther's ladder) here use Project64k (the latest one from project64k.blogspot.com)

In that case, download the latest version there at that address. (or google Project64k, it's like the first result. :))
Then, once it downloads, unzip the file to wherever you want. (I don't recommend the desktop, but go ahead and put it there if that's easiest for you)
Then, open it... :grin: You'll want to also go grab the US ROM for Super Smash Bros. That's totally in your hands however, as asking for ROMs here will get you banned. When it comes to that, you're on your own.

Anyway... once you have that, make a new folder in project64k folder, name it ROMS, then unzip the ROm file into there. (if you got the ROM file by itself, just copy or move it to there instead)

Next, go back to the project64k window, (open it now if you haven't yet) go to file > choose ROM directory, then select the folder you unzipped the ROM to (in this case, it's the ROMs folder in the Project64k folder) and click OK. The listing should show the Smash Bros. (U) ROM and any others you may have put in there.

Now... onto setting up the plugins... Here's what needs to be set in the plugins tab. (Accessed through options > settings, or by pressing Ctrl+S)
Video plugin: Jabo's D3D8 1.6.1
WARNING: Careful with using this plugin on Windows 10; D3D8 games are a bit hit and miss on Windows 10, and can stuff up. Additionally, MSI afterburner's OSD can cause problems, so turn that off if using this plugin on Windows 10
Audio Plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6.1. Ditto with the video plugin, be a bit careful on Windows 10.
Input Plugin: N-Rage's DirectInput 8 1.61

Once you have those selected, go to options > configure controller plugin... and setup your USB controller. To setup the buttons, click "assign keys" and the config window for that controller will pop up. once you are finished there, close the assign keys window, and make sure there aren't any controller paks or rumble paks selected on your first controller. (Not sure if a rumble pak would cause desync, but controller paks from what I have heard most certainly do) Right now is also a good idea to make sure only controller 1 is set to "plugged" with the others turned off, otherwise, weird things may happen... XD

Once you're done, close all the config windows, and go to file > start kaillera. There will be a server listing there. I suggest using the outer heaven I server to make sure it's working. Select it, and click connect. If you changed your nickname, it'll show up in the log. If you didn't "Your Username" will probably show up instead when it connects.

Did it connect? If so... Awesome! You're finished the setup, now off you go and find some opponents! ;)

If you need help making sure your setup's working, either send me a PM or reply here, and I can setup a P2P session for testing. :) (The servers can be used as well, but the ping time could be higher, especially if one's connecting from Australia... :grin:)

EDIT: Added instructions for adding the ROM directory, oops. XD

EDIT2: WTF?! I somehow missed an ENTIRE PAGE of posts?!
Ah well... XD Someone will find it useful!

Last edited:

smash64guy

Smash Rookie
The ssb64 forum has some pretty dry topics now compared to when I used to come here. Banning like 10 people from an already small section probably had something to do with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm... I assume most people (including myself, I also use a separate build for anther's ladder) here use Project64k (the latest one from project64k.blogspot.com)

In that case, download the latest version there at that address. (or google Project64k, it's like the first result. :))
Then, once it downloads, unzip the file to wherever you want. (I don't recommend the desktop, but go ahead and put it there if that's easiest for you)
Then, open it... :grin: You'll want to also go grab the US ROM for Super Smash Bros. That's totally in your hands however, as asking for ROMs here will get you banned. When it comes to that, you're on your own.

Anyway... once you have that, make a new folder in project64k folder, name it ROMS, then unzip the ROm file into there. (if you got the ROM file by itself, just copy or move it to there instead)

Next, go back to the project64k window, (open it now if you haven't yet) go to file > choose ROM directory, then select the folder you unzipped the ROM to (in this case, it's the ROMs folder in the Project64k folder) and click OK. The listing should show the Smash Bros. (U) ROM and any others you may have put in there.

Now... onto setting up the plugins... Here's what needs to be set in the plugins tab. (Accessed through options > settings, or by pressing Ctrl+S)
Video plugin: Jabo's D3D8 1.6.1
WARNING: Careful with using this plugin on Windows 10; D3D8 games are a bit hit and miss on Windows 10, and can stuff up. Additionally, MSI afterburner's OSD can cause problems, so turn that off if using this plugin on Windows 10
Audio Plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6.1. Ditto with the video plugin, be a bit careful on Windows 10.
Input Plugin: N-Rage's DirectInput 8 1.61

Once you have those selected, go to options > configure controller plugin... and setup your USB controller. To setup the buttons, click "assign keys" and the config window for that controller will pop up. once you are finished there, close the assign keys window, and make sure there aren't any controller paks or rumble paks selected on your first controller. (Not sure if a rumble pak would cause desync, but controller paks from what I have heard most certainly do) Right now is also a good idea to make sure only controller 1 is set to "plugged" with the others turned off, otherwise, weird things may happen... XD

Once you're done, close all the config windows, and go to file > start kaillera. There will be a server listing there. I suggest using the outer heaven I server to make sure it's working. Select it, and click connect. If you changed your nickname, it'll show up in the log. If you didn't "Your Username" will probably show up instead when it connects.

Did it connect? If so... Awesome! You're finished the setup, now off you go and find some opponents! ;)

If you need help making sure your setup's working, either send me a PM or reply here, and I can setup a P2P session for testing. :) (The servers can be used as well, but the ping time could be higher, especially if one's connecting from Australia... :grin:)

EDIT: Added instructions for adding the ROM directory, oops. XD
very helpful thanx! ^^

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
The ssb64 forum has some pretty dry topics now compared to when I used to come here. Banning like 10 people from an already small section probably had something to do with that.
I sort of agree... only I haven't really been here long to see what it used to be like. :-/

On that note though... time to upload another episode of my series. haven't published one in ages. XD

D

Deleted member

I sort of agree... only I haven't really been here long to see what it used to be like. :-/

On that note though... time to upload another episode of my series. haven't published one in ages. XD
What will you make next? :3

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Everyone put your hands in the air for MissKoopie! \^o^/

For those not aware, this is the fourth Yoshi Best! series at castletoys! There will be two more remaining, that we are all very excited for! ^_^ After the entire series is completed, we will definitely be sending more goodies your way! So don't worry! ;) Thanx so much for your love and support! <3 YB!*<-

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom