• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Maliki

Smash Ace
What's up guys
I recently discovered a group of project M players in my town.
They host PM tournaments once a week in this shop and I talked them into getting them to have a 64 one last week.
We got 15 entrants(not bad)
Some people show some real interest in the game and have actually talked about downloading the emulator.
We are going to have another one this week hopefully I can get just as many entrants.

Any advice on how to get the PM players more into 64 basically.
I was pumped when i found out there was some sort of smash scene in my town. If i can help develop it and build a 64 one in it that be great.
I'm just not to sure what to do.

Olikus

Smash Champion
What's up guys
They host PM tournaments once a week in this shop and I talked them into getting them to have a 64 one last week.
Some people show some real interest in the game and have actually talked about downloading the emulator.
We are going to have another one this week hopefully I can get just as many entrants.

I was pumped when i found out there was some sort of smash scene in my town. If i can help develop it and build a 64 one in it that be great.
This makes you a great man. But remember: with great power comes great responsibility. So dont **** this up.

Sedda

Smash Champion
What's up guys

15 entrants? that's really ****ing good for a first time 64 event.

not sure what would help, just keep it going lol. get the other koronerds to go from time to time to to build up more hype i guess.
you can save money from winning the events to do a pot bonus once a month or something

Sangoku

Smash Master
wow that's impressive. im curious what is the difference of fox shine in NTSC? or is it simply because NTSC has a higher frame rate?
Well maybe I just got lucky but I did two in one match, that's why I'm getting carried away. It's not about NTSC or PAL, because shines are equally easy in both as long as it's on console. I've always been defending the fact that offline emulator and console were practically the same thing, but now I'm starting to doubt. And I have no idea what makes shines so easy on console.

Morin0

Smash Lord
If we can get a FPS rate to show up while playing on console, what would it say? A constant rate of 60fps? From what I've been told, offline emulator is not comparable to console because the fluctuations in the fps rate can go above and below 60fps. Does console ever go above 60fps? Anyways, this is only part of the problem. Input delay from adapters and incorrect controller settings is another part of the problem. Is there no way to have native support for an adapter like they did with Dolphin and the Wii U GC adapter? ANOTHER problem is delay from your computer monitor. Put all of these together, and you will have an explanation for people's conclusion that offline emulator and console are not comparable.

EDIT: maybe add in a little bit of confirmation bias. :-)

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
The shaky FPS thing is what I've always heard but I don't quite buy it because we're not sure it's not the case on console and also because why would it only affect shines for me?

Controller settings and delay shouldn't affect shines either since it's an automatic finger movements.

Morin0

Smash Lord
The shaky FPS thing is what I've always heard but I don't quite buy it because we're not sure it's not the case on console and also because why would it only affect shines for me?

Controller settings and delay shouldn't affect shines either since it's an automatic finger movements.
What do you mean automatic finger movements? You can do multi shining in two different ways. One is muscle memory and the other is on reaction. I think the majority uses the former. Going from online/offline emu to console will affect your timing. Source: me when I use my adapter to play on console. I do empty short hops instead of shine cancelling. Every other characer, save for Mario's SH up-air on shield, felt the same to me. Fox just felt different on console. It was something that I couldn't allude to either, but my guess is the framerate in console is just more smooth. Technical things like multi shining, shine cancelling, etc. will be affected imo. (Even my SHDL was affected; I missed those like half the time.)

Last edited:

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
What's up guys

There's a bit in the Renaissance thread talking about this. I think the bigger things you can do is doing things that would make it fun for them. Ranking system, yolo tournys, that $1 tourny where the top players have to play a low tier, etc. Once you get them good enough u get kero to **** them up to keep them in their place and remind them they're ****.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

i think there's an input delay even on offline emu that is not present on console. This is what i noticed recently when i was trying to record combos on emu after spending the last few months playing mostly console. Also you say that shines are automatic finger movement but i think there's also a visual reaction that also occurs during rapid shine cancels. your fingers wait for your eyes to confirm that the shine has ended before starting the next shine so it seems like your shines would be faster with less delay

Maliki

Smash Ace
There's a bit in the Renaissance thread talking about this. I think the bigger things you can do is doing things that would make it fun for them. Ranking system, yolo tournys, that $1 tourny where the top players have to play a low tier, etc. Once you get them good enough u get kero to **** them up to keep them in their place and remind them they're ****.
I was thinking of only using luigi next Saturday until gf.

All good advice combo thanks.

Maliki

Smash Ace
yo I forgot to tell you guys the venue for these tournaments is like this comic shop place it sells all sorts of stuff cards, old consoles, action figures, ect.

Main point- They have an N64 there and i was looking at it and the owner of the store was like yeah that's an overclocked system and started explaining to me what it is.
I already knew because knightfox.

He has this guy that can make overclocked consoles for him. It's so legit. He's selling one in his store! Like this guy can make overclocked consoles on the EC.

I don't know if this was a big deal or not i just thought this was info i should share with the community.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
The difference in inputs should not make a difference between emulator and console. Unless there is a difference in framerate such as teams in ssb64 emulator vs console, the exact same input should do the same thing on both setups. Otherwise, things like Super Mario 64 TAS runs would not be able to be confirmed by having them tested on an original console

With the emulation out of the way, there are two big differences in a CRT vs LCD. Most CRT's that receive an analog image will display it so fast that measuring it in milliseconds isn't accurate enough, while the fastest most lagless LCD's will have about 8 milliseconds of display lag. It's less than a frame, but it can affect anyone that's really attuned to the visuals. Second, LCD's display in progressive scan while CRT's display in interlaced. People who constantly use LCD monitors may not be used to CRT's and as such will feel that the console version will run slower/at different framerates. It's mostly a matter of practicing on CRT's and getting used to it.

Morin0

Smash Lord
The difference in inputs should not make a difference between emulator and console. Unless there is a difference in framerate such as teams in ssb64 emulator vs console, the exact same input should do the same thing on both setups. Otherwise, things like Super Mario 64 TAS runs would not be able to be confirmed by having them tested on an original console
So the minor fluctuations of below and above 60fps is fine?

With the emulation out of the way, there are two big differences in a CRT vs LCD. Most CRT's that receive an analog image will display it so fast that measuring it in milliseconds isn't accurate enough, while the fastest most lagless LCD's will have about 8 milliseconds of display lag. It's less than a frame, but it can affect anyone that's really attuned to the visuals. Second, LCD's display in progressive scan while CRT's display in interlaced. People who constantly use LCD monitors may not be used to CRT's and as such will feel that the console version will run slower/at different framerates. It's mostly a matter of practicing on CRT's and getting used to it.
Looks like I was partially right. The monitor you use will play a huge deal. When I play on console, it feels smoother, and my entire online ssb practice has been on either laptop screens or a non-gaming LCD monitors. One way to mitigate this is the use of CRT monitors, no? This and input delay from adapters are probably the two major factors that make people say that offline emu is different than console. I still wish we had an emulator that had native support for an adapter. That'll be cool. It would remove the need to set up the deadzone/range/mapping and substantially remove input delay. I believe that if you use the Dolphin build with native support in conjunction with a low lag monitor, you can achieve less input delay than console.

Also I got word from the shop owner the guy made an N64 with a HDMI input. Crazy stuff is happening.
What would this do? I am under the impression that smash 64 on console can't natively scale up. (Unless you're using an emulator.) Won't this stretch the image and make it look ugly?

EDIT: I forgot I had this piece of gold lol

*removed censor dodging image*

Last edited by a moderator:

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Every character is op. If you're going to play cuddly, you should just let him pick your character for you.

Oh who am I kidding when he lost he'd still blame the matchup.

Sangoku

Smash Master
About shines, what I mean is that for me it is only finger movements. I'm pretty sure I could mute the game and close my eyes and multishining would still be easier on console.

Shears

Smash Master
Just finished creating the StreamManager for AdvancedBracket. This app will automatically update the stream from the bracket with no need to type, click, or edit anything. The future of tournaments was yesterday, the future of streaming is today.

https://advancedbrackets.com/streammanager.aspx

We have been using this the past couple weeks at Xanadu and its now available to the public. Please read everything on the instructions page.

The Star King

Smash Hero
[1:36 AM] <goofus> SheerM- up: [ 9 ]
[1:36 AM] <SheerM-> BRB GONNA TAKE A DUMP
[1:36 AM] <StarKing> .
[1:36 AM] <StarKing> see you guys in 2 minutes
[1:36 AM] <caneu> !uno remove sheerm-
[1:36 AM] <goofus> An Uno game is already active! Type join to join the game
[1:36 AM] <caneu> !unoremove
[1:36 AM] <goofus> caneu has been removed from the game!
[1:36 AM] <caneu> wtf
[1:36 AM] <StarKing> LOL
[1:36 AM] <SheerM-> LOLOL
[1:36 AM] <Elminster> lmao
[1:36 AM] <SheerM-> LOL
[1:37 AM] <StarKing> BAITED
[1:37 AM] <SheerM-> LOLOL
[1:37 AM] <caneu> !unoend
[1:37 AM] <goofus> Only BananaBolts can end the current game! Use !unoremove to leave the game
[1:37 AM] <StarKing> NEXT LEVEL PLAYS
[1:37 AM] <SheerM-> PWNNNN

Sangoku

Smash Master
Crossposting as I don't know if anyone goes in the video subforum where I bumped my super old thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/ballin4lifes-youtube-channel.289617/).

I just uploaded to my YouTube channel 2 combos I've been sitting on since 2012

Kirby on Falcon
https://youtu.be/OtKYndQszRc

Fox on Falcon
https://youtu.be/69vduYmTjiU
Hehe washing off the rust for the big day?

Don't expect too much from us though. I personally am as bad as I've ever been.

Olikus

Smash Champion
so this is the big kanto year. with lots of ooc players that are going to japan. would be awesome if as many as possible would enter. Who is with me!

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm new to 64 and I also go by VanillaMalt. I'll probably be trying out netplay soon as well as the irc.

Sedda

Smash Champion
how is it possible that nobody ever registered under the name "vanilla"

welcome to the cool kids club

Maliki

Smash Ace
Warning Received
View attachment 60974
Even though it's about melee I thought it was pretty funny.

Lol the picture I posted wasn't even bad. Can't believe that's why I got an infraction. You mods take your job way to serious like it was a picture with text on it chill out. You act as if a curse word is a big deal to the people viewing or something.

Yo hit me up with an infraction for that double post as well word to @ Sangoku Sangoku

Last edited by a moderator:

Maliki

Smash Ace
I will gladly infract you, but you need another post for that (can't infract twice the same post). So please answer to this post and I'll kindly address your request.
Instead of you infracting me shaya did. You're getting slow.

Top Bottom