• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, makes sense, just the recent stuff matters. I'm also not blaming any other community. You're right.
I mean it's relatively obvious that the Mic post was in (sorta) jest. His post is just really funny + often relavent as it sums up a really common attitude towards 64. An attitude that The Derrit very unironically used to simply sweep an entire community under the rug (in addition to insulting the_mafia's lack of proper verb conjugation. Cicero would be proud.)

e:
was a more modern use of it that has only recently (past century) been adopted as acceptable english. Am I wrong? If so I have no problem admitting I'm not an english wizard but if I'm right doesn't that make @ The Derrit The Derrit more of an idiot?
Unforunately, "biased" (adjective) has been around since the mid 17th century with its modern meaning. The verb form has been around even longer.

I don't really know what type of English grammatically/syntactical unit "[you guys] are biased" is. Is it a passive verb? But, just one whose subject the mafia left out because he actually has tact? a single e.g. of many possible exempla: "I have a feeling you guys are biased [by blatantly promoting a "news-worthy" GIMR LOL-How-To-Play-Smash 4-Video on the front page while also sponsoring GIMR's streaming endeavors]"

Or, was he using it as an adjective? "I have a feeling you guys are biased [and also short-sighted and unimaginative]"

You're right. Where's @Cobrevolution when you need him?

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^First off, this. His post was a bit of a troll/joke post, and what 64 player doesn't do either. It just came at a really bad time.

Whats the over/under on how many hours before I get banned again?
If you can, please don't.

In all honesty, you make a whole lot of good 64 content.

Also, post that thread in a whole lotta facebook groups, I want this moving around.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I mean it's relatively obvious that the Mic post was in (sorta) jest. His post is just really funny + often relavent as it sums up a really common attitude towards 64. An attitude that The Derrit very unironically used to simply sweep an entire community under the rug (in addition to insulting the_mafia's lack of proper verb conjugation. Cicero would be proud.)
not only did cobr take our only samus main from us, but he also took our correct conjugations

cobr pls

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Literally good **** for exposing this. I'm all favor of helping you guys out in any way I can.

SmashCapps says he's at fault for not putting in Pidge's article. His apology and honesty is the reason I like this dude.
I should probably just delete my other tweet of derrit's profile. I don't really think it's in good taste to put more blame to him on something he didn't do.

I might as well add this in: Derrit's response.
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.47.32 PM.png

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Literally a couple of days ago you guys posted a month old content from the news "The Daily Dot"

gg.
:)
The Daily Dot article covered in question was published on March 11th, 2015. It was covered on March 11th, 2015. I think we can all agree that Alex Strife's involvement with APEX and this community is an issue that we should all be aware of, and Capps was very interested in covering it so I am happy that he did so.

For reference: The Daily Dot article. Our coverage.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
The Daily Dot article covered in question was published on March 11th, 2015. It was covered on March 11th, 2015. I think we can all agree that Alex Strife's involvement with APEX and this community is an issue that we should all be aware of, and Capps was very interested in covering it so I am happy that he did so.

For reference: The Daily Dot article. Our coverage.
Month old news, just as stated before by you.

The information, way more months old than our info. Just an updated news article?
Brb copy and pasting MIOM post onto my pastebin because it was published within a month.

Shears

Smash Master
um what did you do and where's the link so i can read it before deletion?
I'm not an english major and I would ask cobr but he's permabanned for life, but isn't "bias" the way @ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA used it grammatically correct? I could be wrong but I always thought "bias" was the formal past tense of "bias" and the use of "biased" was a more modern use of it that has only recently (past century) been adopted as acceptable english. Am I wrong? If so I have no problem admitting I'm not an english wizard but if I'm right doesn't that make @ The Derrit The Derrit more of an idiot?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Month old news, just as stated before by you.

The information, way more months old than our info. Just an updated news article?
Brb copy and pasting MIOM post onto my pastebin because it was published within a month.
@ Kahnu Kahnu , the article in question was all current information that nobody in the community had been aware of. That's not really debatable unfortunately.

And to @ Shears Shears ' question, unfortunately no. Here are the proper usages of the word 'bias.' As you can see, 'biased' was the proper conjugation for that particular scenario.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Also, the hell is wrong with your post?

The article was published jn February, and was sent to SMASHCAPPS not you. Which he apologized for not reviewing. Nobody has sent you ****. The only problem people bave with you is that 64 is not news and just being a total asshole in general.

And as for your apology, frankly, I don't think you give a ****. All you give a damn about is how you look towards other people in the Smash Community.

EDIT: WHAT THE ****? Barely anybody knows about that MIOM information, its an introductory to get people involved in the game with things they didnt ****ing know, because unlike melee and smash 4, BARELY anybody is in this community. But no, instead of helping another community out you post "LoL MR GAME AND WATCh!!!" and reggie nip slip bull****.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

The article was published jn February, and was sent to SMASHCAPPS not you. Which he apologized for not reviewing. Nobody has sent you ****. The only problem people bave with you is that 64 is not news and just being a total ******* in general.

And as for your apology, frankly, I don't think you give a ****. All you give a damn about is how you look towards other people in the Smash Community.
To be perfectly honest, stop Kahnu. This isn't necessary, no need for a Mic_12h8 type of thread.

In terms of a response to Derritt, I'm giving a bigger/better response on Reddit to his post.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Barely anybody knows about that MIOM information, its an introductory to get people involved in the game with things they didnt [ ] know, because unlike melee and smash 4, BARELY anybody is in this community. But no, instead of helping another community out you post "LoL MR GAME AND WATCh!!!" and reggie nip slip [ ].
That one was smashcapps, not derrit. I really don't think this is helping you prove a point here, bro.

Last edited:

Madao

Literally a couple of days ago you guys posted a month old content from the news "The Daily Dot"

gg.
He said "rarely", so even if it is a month old, it doesn't matter.

The article was published jn February, and was sent to SMASHCAPPS not you. Which he apologized for not reviewing. Nobody has sent you ****. The only problem people bave with you is that 64 is not news and just being a total ******* in general.

He apologized for what he did. There is no reason to give him a hard time after apologizing. He's willing to give you guys what you want. Let's move forwards, not backwards.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

EDIT: WHAT THE ****? Barely anybody knows about that MIOM information, its an introductory to get people involved in the game with things they didnt ****ing know, because unlike melee and smash 4, BARELY anybody is in this community. But no, instead of helping another community out you post "LoL MR GAME AND WATCh!!!" and reggie nip slip bull****.
down, boy. He gave a real response with an apology and says he is willing to post 64 news in the future, we cant ask for much more than that

Shears

Smash Master
And to @ Shears Shears ' question, unfortunately no. Here are the proper usages of the word 'bias.' As you can see, 'biased' was the proper conjugation for that particular scenario.
Nothing to do with the article anymore, strictly the use of the word "bias". In the sentence "I have a feelin you guys are bias against smash 64", the subject is "you guys", the verb is "are", the object is "smash 64". With "against" being a preposition doesn't that make "bias" a noun (could be an adjective as it is used to describe a position of prejudice)? In this case "bias" is the right word and "biased" is grammatically incorrect. Using the link and definition you provided proves maafia was right from the beginning. Don't worry though, you had food poisoning.

inb4 everyone says they use "biased" in those type of sentences. Just because you and everyone you know uses the grammatically incorrect word doesn't mean its now grammatically correct. This happens all the time with slang and the poor misunderstanding people have of English, sentence structure, syntax, and vocabulary.

inb4 anyone takes the "you" above personally. It is not a literal you directed at an individual but the figurative you talking to any person reading where that counter argument crosses their mind.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Nothing to do with the article anymore, strictly the use of the word "bias". In the sentence "I have a feelin you guys are bias against smash 64", the subject is "you guys", the verb is "are", the object is "smash 64". With "against" being a preposition doesn't that make "bias" a noun (could be an adjective as it is used to describe a position of prejudice)? In this case "bias" is the right word and "biased" is grammatically incorrect. Using the link and definition you provided proves maafia was right from the beginning. Don't worry though, you had food poisoning.

inb4 everyone says they use "biased" in those type of sentences. Just because you and everyone you know uses the grammatically incorrect word doesn't mean its now grammatically correct. This happens all the time with slang and the poor misunderstanding people have of English, sentence structure, syntax, and vocabulary.

inb4 anyone takes the "you" above personally. It is not a literal you directed at an individual but the figurative you talking to any person reading where that counter argument crosses their mind.
Bias can be used as a noun in that sentence, but if I'm not mistaken, if used in that way the word 'are' would be incorrect. You would have to say 'You guys have bias against smash 64."

I dunno. It's late and the NyQuil for my sickness is kicking in. Sweet dreams all.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
^^
Lolololol to all of this.

Sorry I'm a terrible person and thrive on conflict.

But hopefully this gets resolved and 64 can get the respect and exposure it deserves.

Shears

Smash Master
You are mean
mean is an adjective
You are bias
bias is an adjective
Both succeed verb are
You guys are bias against smash 64
bias is adjective modifying subject of you guys followed by preposition against directed at object smash 64

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Well that thread grew as much as I had hoped it would...good.

Edit: props to this guy below for posting said images.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Well that thread grew as much as I had hoped it would...good.
Props to you man, if you havnt done that, we probably still would've been ignored, but because of random smash fans getting angry at this also, it brought great awareness and people actually want to get into 64 cause of this

tehz

Smash Apprentice
You are mean
mean is an adjective
You are bias
bias is an adjective
Both succeed verb are
You guys are bias against smash 64
bias is adjective modifying subject of you guys followed by preposition against directed at object smash 64
I guess editing in a quote doesn't give a notification. And I wrote such a snarky post about this last night too. :(

"Bias" is an adjective [also an adverb. good word]. It has been around since the ~1500s. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything close to what "biased" means. It looks like "bias (adj)" means like diagonal or slanted. Eg, "a bias line" == a diagonal line. Or "a bias pattern" == a fabric pattern that diagonally crosses a shirt or dress etc.

"Biased" (adj) or "to be biased" (passive of "to bias") have both been around almost as long, and with the modern meaning of prejudiced or influenced.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I guess editing in a quote doesn't give a notification. And I wrote such a snarky post about this last night too. :(

"Bias" is an adjective [also an adverb. good word]. It has been around since the ~1500s. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything close to what "biased" means. It looks like "bias (adj)" means like diagonal or slanted. Eg, "a bias line" == a diagonal line. Or "a bias pattern" == a fabric pattern that diagonally crosses a shirt or dress etc.

"Biased" (adj) or "to be biased" (passive of "to bias") have both been around almost as long, and with the modern meaning of prejudiced or influenced.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bias

1 and 2 under bias are the prejudice definitions.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Those are nouns. You'd never say "I am egg"; you'd say "I have an egg". Likewise, you'd never say "You are bias"; you'd say "You have a bias"

Can we archive the 64 boards and replace them with a place where we can MM English grammar?

Top Bottom