• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Just kidding then. I actually learned Italian from Freshman-Junior year of high school, so I have basic Italian concepts down. :3 Yay for being multilingual!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
so today's my birthday, lololol

in terms of keeping "on topic," I know English
Spanish was learned a bit.
I am thinking of Learning either German, Arabic, or Russian.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
no offence, but it sounds really weird to native mandarin speakers, like chickens fighting XD

im actually cantonese (shantou in guangdong) by heritage, if that helps the perspective

The Star King

Smash Hero
@KoRo don't learn Russian, it's a retardedly complex language. The grammar is WTF, and I'm usually good at grammar. Russian was my first language, but I'm mediocre at it now.

@cheeseball all Chinese languages weird to non-chinese speakers xD no offense

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I know I'm just sayin'

Cantonese is weird to everyone who doesn't speak it, not just Mandarin speakers (and vice versa).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Happy birthday Korobeniki! How old are we turning today? :)

I learned, in order - Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, English, Italian.
Turning 20..

Also, German grammar is also difficult.

I want to learn a language that uses the Cyrillic Alphabet. Also, it makes sense

I am a fan of caviar/expensive food.
I can drink like no other (don't ask, see topic name).

DMoogle

A$
Happy birthday, Koro! There doesn't seem to be any cake image on SWF, so take a :mushroom: instead.

Staying on topic in the Social Thread? Whaaaaaaaa?

EDIT: Geez that mushroom is huge.

EDIT 2: On another topic, I saw Primus earlier tonight. Second time I've seen them (third time I've seen Les Claypool), and they were more awesome than they were the first time I saw them.

Props to people who know Primus.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
No, Malva just got Tambor to perform previous combos for better quality video. Tambor TAS'd them to save Isai the trouble or having to re-do the combo all over again.

dandan

Smash Lord
no, they were done on console, so it was proven it is humanly possible to do these.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Well, "Significant other" is pretty nebulous. Your standard girlfriend might not be that significant, whereas a fiancé/wife obviously would be.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
gender and quantity changes almost every word in a sentence, whereas in mandarin or something most of the words are static and dont need to be changed based on gender. at least that's what i was told
Yep, this is true. I just find changing every noun, verb, adjective / tense through gender and number really tedious as well as confusing.

walsh

Smash Cadet
English is so awesome because it doesn't have different conjugations for the different tenses, you just throw in that modifying verb (will/have/had etc).

Cue Nixxxon
English is so awesome the same sentence can mean 15 different things depending on how you say it.

Ian Rowland puts it into perspective beautifully.

Let us consider a simple response such as:

"I wouldn't say that was entirely true."

If you try saying this out loud, but emphasising a different word
each time, you will see how this makes a huge difference to what
the [asker] actually means, which in turn makes a difference to
what the [answerer] can infer from the response.

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (But others might, there are
different viewpoints.)

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (I'm quite emphatic about
this.)

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (But I might think it, or feel
it, or I might not be willing to commit myself either way.)

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (But other parts of what
you've said seem accurate.)

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (But you're more right than
you are wrong.)

I wouldn't say that was entirely true. (Some of it is open to
interpretation, speculation or doubt, but I'm not emphatically
denying it.)
And we get pissed that Mexicans don't want to learn our language. Lol. People who were born and raised in America can't even speak or write it right half the time.

MattNF

Smash Lord
We need to invent a new, simple, language and slowly phase it into all the countries in the world.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yup romance languages have genders for the stuff, but its not true that can change every word in a sentence. In general its not that different from english.

Male stuff: car, computer, game, forum, sport...
Female stuff: motorcycle, screen, console, picture, ball...

What I find annoying of english is that it has so many small words and the feking pronounciations. Theres no pronounciations in languages like spanish or italian and that makes those languages very easy to read and write from a spoken mode. You read/write it like it sounds.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
English is so awesome the same sentence can mean 15 different things depending on how you say it.

Ian Rowland puts it into perspective beautifully.

And we get pissed that Mexicans don't want to learn our language. Lol. People who were born and raised in America can't even speak or write it right half the time.
You say all this like it's a bad thing... it allows for better expression of meaning and more subtlety. Also how would you say all those things in other languages? Would it take a lot more words to explain?

Big reasons to complain about English as a language (off the top of my head):
1) Ridiculous numbers of irregular verbs (on the other hand, fewer conjugations makes this not AS bad)
2) Some words are very hard to spell

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yup romance languages have genders for the stuff, but its not true that can change every word in a sentence. In general its not that different from english.

Male stuff: car, computer, game, forum, sport...
Female stuff: motorcycle, screen, console, picture, ball...

What I find annoying of english is that it has so many small words and the feking pronounciations. Theres no pronounciations in languages like spanish or italian and that makes those languages very easy to read and write from a spoken mode. You read/write it like it sounds.
Pronunciations is a good point too.

And yeah the gender thing is tough. I don't think of any of those things as being "female" nouns. On the other hand you can usually tell the gender from the word, but then there are the random exceptions like el dia and la mano (still don't know how to do accents on smashboards). But it's not like Spanish has a monopoly on random exceptions to the rules :laugh:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
usually english people who learn spanish say everything as male even though its female, spanish people still understand it perfectly, and the more you speak the more you learn what is male and what is female. And yes there are some weird exceptions like EL DIA, EL AGUA, LA MANO, LA VISION, LA OPCION

About the small words in english, forgot to say similar words... Though, Tough, Through, Thought, Although, Thread, Treat, Threat, :dizzy:

@walsh you should not get pissed about this, spanish is almost as spoken as english and they will just clash and get along with each other and none of them would decrease in favour of the other

In fact, AFAIK there is a english/spanish mix going on ("Spanglish") in the southwest USA and the Mexico border lulz.

Top Bottom