• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
anyone know the list of people attending apex?
Also anyone from toronto area going?
Thanks, Your main man, Derek

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
karajan, what sounds best is clearly determined by opinion, or maybe youre just using your karajan logic on this too.

Since, you know, music is subjective and all.
explains nope #2
Clearly you dont actually read my posts

And if ya'll want to know about the greatest musician of the 20th century, look up Herbert Von Karajan. Dude died in the 90s with an estate worth half a billion dollars, with over 900 recordings.

How many people here think that in 150 years, people will pay $300 to watch someone cover of one of taylor swift's songs?

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
lmao

Karajan was not even close to being the "greatest musician of the 20th century." i really like some of the stuff he did for conducting (more from a perspective of a bandleader), and I've read that he actually really cared about the individual musicians in the orchestras he conducted and worked a lot to optimize his sound. Like I said before, I enjoy listening to his Beethoven even though I don't really like Beethoven, so that's saying something.

but if anything, Karajan is kinda like the Kenny G of conducting. It's funny that you'll mention how much money he had and how many records he sold to show that somehow he's the best. I thought you were against the idea that popular music = good music, but I guess you agree with Clubba anyway.

I'm saying this because Karajan was essentially a worldwide pop star who played music he didn't write, sold a lot of records, and knew how to smile really well. He doesn't actually have any music to show for.

Duke Ellington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Herbert von Karajan

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Karajan was not even close to being the "greatest musician of the 20th century." i really like some of the stuff he did for conducting (more from a perspective of a bandleader),
Conducting is musicianship. Instrument = other people.

I thought you were against the idea that popular music = good music, but I guess you agree with Clubba anyway.
Wow you do have reading comprehension issues.
Popular does not imply good. Good music can be popular. The point with karajan is that classical music is not pop music, yet he was so good at his craft that he created more value than most musicians that play in a genre which you said has the main goal of making money.

I'm saying this because Karajan was essentially a worldwide pop star who played music he didn't write, sold a lot of records, and knew how to smile really well. He doesn't actually have any music to show for.
I enjoy listening to his Beethoven even though I don't really like Beethoven, so that's saying something.
"Sedda logic"

Duke Ellington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Herbert von Karajan
and worked a lot to optimize his sound. Like I said before, I enjoy listening to his Beethoven even though I don't really like Beethoven, so that's saying something.
He conducts Symphony #9 from memory
Duke conducts jazz pretty well, so is he conducting the improvisational sections from memory, or from the score?

Sedda

Smash Champion
what i meant was that Karajan doesn't have any original music of his own. I enjoy his Beethoven, but it's not his music. You can call conducting "musicianship" all you'd like, but he's just a small piece of the puzzle as opposed to Ellington, who wrote his own music, conducted it, and handpicked each of the musicians in his band.

Also, apparently you don't know how improvisation works (in the big band era of jazz). Any improvisation that happened in Duke's time happened within the context of the already written-out arrangement. The only part of the band that he didn't directly control was the ONE guy who would be improvising over a pre-existing progression during the short bursts of improv, plus Duke would write and arrange entire songs with specific members of his big band in mind depending on their improv abilities.
You simply don't know what youre talking about on this one.

Conducting songs from memory isn't impressive. idk what that's about or why it's considered good. I listen to rock bands that play 40+ minute songs from memory. the difference between memorizing a 3 minute piece and a 3 hour-long piece is really small, especially if the music is any good.

it's like saying Frank Sinatra is one of the greatest musicians of the last century. He was a fantastic singer, but he only wrote a handful of the songs he performed, and he was probably 1/10 of the overall effort you hear in his records compared to people who actually worked on arranging the music, conducting it, playing it, etc.

I could name 10 conductors who I think are better than karajan from the last century, let alone actual composers/bands/songwriters. He would probably not crack my top 200.
If he's your favorite, that's cool, but calling him the greatest of the 20th century is a huge stretch, and honestly it's just laughable.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
sedda you are being a ******

i disagreed with clubbas statement that what is best is determined by "popular opinion" and in the same post i point out it is because its subjective

your an idiot, you thought that i was disagreeing on the [what is best is determined by "popular opinion"], ie that what is best is objective.

So in the same post I give my opinion on who the best musician is, and you attack my opinion. Ellington and Karajan did different things. To me, and I think many people would agree with me, is that karajan was better at his craft than anyone else in the last century.

Instead of saying "oh sorry i didn't understand your post because i am feeble minded, sorry for being a ******; I think duke ellington was the best of the 20th century, do you listen to him?" you decided to be a bigger ****** and continue to misrepresent my views to fit your ******y bias, and totally ignore the first part of my post (the objective part).

sedda = mixa studstill 2.0

Sedda

Smash Champion
i literally just said that if he's your favorite, it's cool, but coming in here and claiming that we should check out Karajan if we want to find out who the greatest musicians of the 20th century is warrants me to give you a lot of ****.

what you said about Karajan sounds a lot more like studstill than anything I've ever said. don't know what's "objective" about calling Karajan the greatest

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Also, apparently you don't know how improvisation works (in the big band era of jazz). Any improvisation that happened in Duke's time happened within the context of the already written-out arrangement. The only part of the band that he didn't directly control was the ONE guy who would be improvising over a pre-existing progression during the short bursts of improv, plus Duke would write and arrange entire songs with specific members of his big band in mind depending on their improv abilities.
You simply don't know what youre talking about on this one.
I played in jazz bands throughout highschool and college, played the upright bass and guitar, and i had improvisational solos so go **** yourself

Conducting songs from memory isn't impressive. idk what that's about or why it's considered good. I listen to rock bands that play 40+ minute songs from memory. the difference between memorizing a 3 minute piece and a 3 hour-long piece is really small, especially if the music is any good.
Band: 40 minutes x the 1 instrument you are playing = 40 minutes of music to memorize
Conducting 9th: 80 minutes x 15 distinct parts = 20 hours of music to memorize

I could name 10 conductors who I think are better than karajan from the last century, let alone actual composers/bands/songwriters. He would probably not crack my top 200.
ya ok

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Crushed at not seeing Doctor Who this week.
"WHAT HAPPENED"

Then I realised the next episode is the Christmas Special.
Hooray for Santa knocking on the Tardis' Door.

Also I hear some ****er censor dodged and got away with it. Good thing I infracted him in advance.
you mean that picture that had **** in it but then about 5 minutes i bleeped it?

trash

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
i literally just said that if he's your favorite, it's cool,
smashboards doesnt display posts in realtime. stop making assumptions it just makes you more of a ******

don't know what's "objective" about calling Karajan the greatest
the first part of my post (the objective part).
The part that is explained in the same ****ing post you are responding to:

i disagreed with clubbas statement that what is best is determined by "popular opinion" and in the same post i point out it is because its subjective

your an idiot, you thought that i was disagreeing on the [what is best is determined by "popular opinion"], ie that what is best is objective.
I spelled it out for you. Do I need to explain like you are 5? cause if you do, i'll treat you like a 5 year old forever

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
oh ok

karajan still sucks

ty

edit - in all honesty i think i missed half of your posts because i was busy responding to the one before

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
oh ok

karajan still sucks

ty

edit - in all honesty i think i missed half of your posts because i was busy responding to the one before
karajan destroyed you and now you have nothing to say
this is what we call in an arguement

"rekt"

Sedda

Smash Champion
stfu sangoku

you dont even know what we're talking about. i bet your favorite group is the spice girls

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I forgive you
I'm sorry i use name calling but not really, the internet needs more name calling

now will ballin and madeo ask what they are missing about the probability thing?

Sedda

Smash Champion
the 8 bit bicycle theme from pokemon blue is way better than that entire album. (but the theme song is pretty good)

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
a new adventure
another day
nothin xanxum my way
ita up 2 me anda u
i kno watbwe gotta dooo
we r togethr now friends forever now
aaaaaaaaaa

caneut

Smash Ace
Clearly you dont actually read my posts

And if ya'll want to know about the greatest musician of the 20th century, look up Herbert Von Karajan. Dude died in the 90s with an estate worth half a billion dollars, with over 900 recordings.

How many people here think that in 150 years, people will pay $300 to watch someone cover of one of taylor swift's songs?

Also, Sedda get rekt m80

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
my statement was that what "sounds best" is determined by popular opinion, which I stand by. Obviously there is no best or worst in music.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i think there is, but people just fall back on the subjectivity argument to gloss over and avoid that fact.

but pointing out the bests is much easier than pointing out the worsts, because of the aforementioned statement.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Also, Sedda get rekt m80
I don't know what you guys mean. He said that Karajan was the best musician of the 20th century, but he didn't actually write any music.

but you know, Karajan always changes his arguments so its ok

juddy96

Smash Lord
^^ i'm impressed, those guys will make some noise at apex if they go
Looked pretty good to me, though I'll admit I don't know much about 64. It was a 7 man tournament I think. They had time to stream the grands between when melee ended and PM was starting. And with already over 2000 views, it got good exposure. I think McGodd is a regular poster on Smashboards, and Captain L, from the BC based P4K crew, usually wins these tournaments I think

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea i knew about these guys, just had never watched them play before. Much better than I anticipated, can't wait to play them!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
toronto players who have stated to me, or within earshot of me, that they are "definitely going to apex": YBOMBB, Snorlax

toronto players who have stated to me, or within earshot of me, that they are "most likely going to apex": *** Vwls

toronto players who currently can't go to apex but are busting their asses trying to change that: me

toronto players who are interested in going to apex: basically all of them

Studstill

Smash Ace
Steve overreaches and then bullies got pwned. On both subjects he has mastered and ones he has no clue about, such as Studstill versions. 2.0 was a while back, they always go super-critical when we get to the part about how we can`t distribute food to everyone.
Pretty sure mixa is 8729 years old or so, but he can probably say it better best as usual.

Hell, Op Ivy is pretty good. Or anything with horns. One can`t get too crazy with "best of all time" when it comes to jams.
Unless you mean strawberry, or is this an inappropriate time for a pun?

Edit: mixa is banned?

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Man I hate to miss Studstills ignorance filled posts before he, without fail, edits them.

Sedda

Smash Champion
seriously

where the **** is mixa?

first sangoku and now this. i feel like something else is going on, guys. someone is pulling strings

THE PLOT THICKENS

Top Bottom