• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Warning Received
if I were gav I'd tell komo to kill himself, stupid ****** tryhard yoshi

but I'm not and I love komo so

Last edited by a moderator:

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
That's so weird that Boom using the best character in the game (fox) didn't take a stock off Jousuke. I don't know how that happened.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Cobr, I think facetiously referring to someone by their real name all the time in an online environment is a tad much.
Other than that I don't see the reason why you need to bring up/change the subject to him all the time.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
gav rolls off the tongue better. And I try to use both real names and nicks.

and for kicks, inasmuch as I still crack up at wotg's maniac alpha jeans, anything scrubstill says, gav's hilarious reactions to anything he disagrees with or dislikes, etcetc.

like how marbles uses macros. Rofl

you should join the IRC for realtime gav interaction simulation. It's pretty nifty technology

Battlecow

Play to Win
OK I'm no physicist but

Quantum uncertainty is a physical fact of the universe

With the right instruments (only technical difficulties prevent us from rigging something like this) you could hook up, for example, a nuclear bomb to a scanner capable of precisely detecting alpha particle radiation. It is a proven fact that said radiation is random and unpredictable. Let's say that our precise scanner detonates the nuke if the total number of alpha particles that tunnel is odd, and does not if they are even. World history is now a coinflip.

The universe is not deterministic.

@ ballin4life ballin4life @ asianaussie asianaussie

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
OK I'm no physicist but

With the right instruments (only technical difficulties prevent us from rigging something like this) you could hook up, for example, a nuclear bomb to a scanner capable of precisely detecting alpha particle radiation. It is a proven fact that said radiation is random and unpredictable. Let's say that our precise scanner detonates the nuke if the total number of alpha particles that tunnel is odd, and does not if they are even. World history is now a coinflip.

You should try LSD

Sedda

Smash Champion
OK I'm no physicist but

@ ballin4life ballin4life @ asianaussie asianaussie
bloodpeach was talking about this the other day. he actually majored in physics, so I don't wanna misrepresent what he said or anything, but he said that particles only begin to behave in set patterns after they're big enough (not sure how to phrase this). Smaller stuff is unpredictable and random apparently

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
It is a proven fact that said radiation is random and unpredictable
See that's the part that doesn't have me convinced that the universe isn't deterministic. I want proof of a rational explanation of why these particles at the lowest level are inherently "random". What exact property of the particle creates "randomness"? Because if it's just scientists doing statistics and going "there's a probability it will do this and a probability that it will do that", then that to me seems like we don't know enough or understand enough about these particles to know their truly deterministic behavior. It would be like an average joe that knows nothing about computers trying to figure out the behavior of an RNG algorithm in a CPU to predict its behavior and ultimately saying "yep, this thing is truly random and non-deterministic".

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
The particles are probably not random
Mathematical randomness is about as ridiculous as mathematical infinity though
observing them perturbs their state so you cant say exactly what they are doing ( position / velocity )
=> might be fundamentally deterministic, but not to humans
Jouske is the best smash player ever

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Everyone is always flakey and they suck at doing anything or making a plan or sticking to a plan
2013 spring-ish: me and boom 0-death a deer on the way to NJ before sweet 12. Still got where we needed to be
2013 late summer sometime? or was it 2014 after apex? for some montreal tournament: Bloodpeach fiasco
2014 summer peru trip: Me and boom are taken to the airport too late cause they decided to try to print our tickets out at some random kinkos like place like right when the plane was supposed to board
2014 japan trip: Jouske brings boom to the airport too late and they both miss their flights home

ya'll are a bunch of noobs

what did I forget and what are your stories?

Annex

Smash Ace
drove like an hour to play komo knite and combo during a snowstorm
30 minutes in I got tboned on the drivers side door by an underage kid in an suv who blew a stop sign
he just drives off
probably because he's underage
anyway the top of the door is bent out and snow is pouring in
can't even open the door or roll down the window to pay tolls
gotta throw the change out the back window
what the ****
but i still show up
eat the ****ing lentils
get 5stocked for like 6 hours
climb back into my car through the ****ing trunk
the drivers seat is a mountain of snow
the wheel is completely buried
I drive two hours like this to get home because of how bad the snow got while I was there
but yo it was still worth it

Studstill

Smash Ace
Cobr, I think facetiously referring to someone by their real name all the time in an online environment is a tad much.
Other than that I don't see the reason why you need to bring up/change the subject to him all the time.
Because he`s been encouraged, and supported, and literally doesn`t get how not ****ing cool it is. At some point you are all accomplices. Part of the 'trouble' with me is that this behavior disgusted me immediately and I lost all respect for this 'scene.'

its not necessarily random
probably just chaotic
chaos is a property of deterministic systems. not truly mathematical randomness.
This seems to have gone pretty far from the original quote, but Steve sounds right.
There is a lot of confusion in here (and elsewhere really, to be fair) about what 'random' means and especially in contrast with chaotic. Apologies to Jacob if incorrect resummary:
He`s probably talking about the true nature of physics in a quantum world, the tricky conundrum evidenced by individual particles or even parts of particles or parts of parts of particles: Things are only orderly once you get 'zoomed' far enough out or rather once you have a LOT of these little decisions to look at, because they seem to have no order (or act chaotically or 'randomly') individully or even in small groups. The Universe isn`t like a single coin flip, which could be heads every single time, forever, but like quintilllions^quintillions of these coins being flipped, which means each coin is exactly .5 heads and .5 tails on any flip. If this sounds impossible, you`re getting there. In fact the coins are both heads and tails until you check, and in the case that the one you are looking at is heads, there immediately forms a couplet in that a coin just appeared that was tails.
HAHAHA Hope this helped and or isn`t total gibberish. I`m too far down this Chem rabbit hole this semester to even think straight about real science.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
See that's the part that doesn't have me convinced that the universe isn't deterministic. I want proof of a rational explanation of why these particles at the lowest level are inherently "random". What exact property of the particle creates "randomness"? Because if it's just scientists doing statistics and going "there's a probability it will do this and a probability that it will do that", then that to me seems like we don't know enough or understand enough about these particles to know their truly deterministic behavior. It would be like an average joe that knows nothing about computers trying to figure out the behavior of an RNG algorithm in a CPU to predict its behavior and ultimately saying "yep, this thing is truly random and non-deterministic".
"Randomness" and "probability" are just mathematical models created that happen to provide the best predictions for what happens in quantum mechanics.

Also it's impossible to provide a "proof" about anything related to the physical world. All you can provide is evidence. And all evidence seems to indicate that you cannot make deterministic predictions about the state of particles - only probabilistic models consistently match the real world observations.

The particles are probably not random
Mathematical randomness is about as ridiculous as mathematical infinity though
observing them perturbs their state so you cant say exactly what they are doing ( position / velocity )
=> might be fundamentally deterministic, but not to humans
Jouske is the best smash player ever
"Randomness" and "infinity" are just mathematical concepts. Don't see how they are ridiculous at all. Do you have an opinion on negative numbers? Is calculus "ridiculous" since it involves a concept of infinity?

If you guys want to claim "oh well some god-like entity could make perfectly deterministic predictions about quantum mechanics" then just know there's no evidence that supports that.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Steve while we`re here can you hook it up with a 'good definition of true mathematical randomness',
Edit for ballin:
I think Steve was alluding to how infinity really isn`t a number and is janky anyway, algebra-wise, or to layman rather, not that it`s 'ridiculous'. Of course they are mathematical concepts, just some are more concrete than others and 'infinity' and 'randomness' are a few of the concepts that are usually diverged from their correlating constructs in reality. ON infinity, for example, it`s better to think of it as a direction, +inf and -inf on ends of the number line. This is pretty easy to imagine, just start walking around a coastline or even back and forth across the US, counting each step. You`ll keep adding one, and the number of steps will always grow, never shrink (so you know the direction) but it will also never end on a particular sum, i.e you can always take another step.

Last edited:
Top Bottom