• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'd mm you in an instant

the problem is it's half trivia in that i have to know who some people are - like figure out 'ripshone' is 'nephiros'. and i don't know a lot of oldschool guys.

back in the AOL KIDS days that was all that used to be going on in the chat - scramblebots and stuff. and i remember playing an obscene amount of letterblox.

The Star King

Smash Hero
that's not even unscramble butthead

unless you want like

kissing a rat (random asterisks)

or something

Last edited:

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Smasherx74's Pro Post
How to space? How do I space? How to space? How space how. Meow.

>Hitboxes
>angle
>Distance
>angle
>Timing

ANGLE
>Distance
****ING ANGLE
>X/Y Axis speed
>Distance

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
yo i've got something to say

there's nothing i hate more than someone who complains about their main

and

a big **** YOU to everybody that looks down on people who "cop out" to better characters

at least the people who "cop out" did something about their problems, unlike the rest you

you're not some self-righteous low-tier hero who is gonna bless us with your nobility

you're just a punk who has too much pride to play a top tier

by forcing yourself to play a ****ty character, you are not only torturing yourself, but torturing everyone on the boards that has to listen to your non-stop whining

to those of you who have faith in your character regardless of where they stand on the tier list, i have nothing but the utmost respect for you

but to the people who complain about their main rather than being proactive and actually improving, switch your character or shut the **** up

sincerely,

a former ness main

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
copping out isn't "doing something about your problems"

it's copping out

not a difficult concept

if you play a bad character, do everything you can to have fun with it, try to push it to its limits, improve the best you can, etcetc. THAT'S "doing something" about the problems. THAT'S being proactive and productive, not saying "well **** this character they're awful may as well abandon them and pick up someone i'll have an easier time winning with"

i DESPISE the way samus was developed and i think we would all benefit from an actual patch fixing low tiers and nerfing high tiers - but nobody would ever be down for that, so it's a nonissue. that being said, i still have a lot of fun with her and i'm constantly trying to perform different maneuvers and enjoy her to the best of my ability. i simply don't find any other characters fun to dedicate time to.

if i suddenly switched to kirby, that isn't going to prove anything to myself and it isn't correcting any problems i have with samus. it isn't showing i'm a better player because i'm playing a better character. it isn't me correcting all the issues i have with samus.

how does someone going from link to fox equate to them doing something about their problems? they flat out ditched the problems. which is VERY different from seeking a solution

it boils down to people who want to win the game no matter what the cost versus people who want to have fun no matter what the cost.

as i've told you before, i'm of the latter - willing to potentially lose tourney sets because i wanted to enjoy myself, try new things, experiment, etc.

ignoring the issue doesn't make it go away and it sure as hell doesn't fix it, whether it's smash or anything else in LIFE. ya dig?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
kero and leffen are a lot a like

'why do you hate low tier heros'

'Because you are not a "hero" just because you pick a low tier and almost make it out of pools, not to mention picking a high tier (like falcon) and thinking you're a hero while blaming all your losses on the character.
Pick a top tier, or stfu.'

too raw?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i saw in leffen's ama he said he switched from yoshi to fox because it's more satisfying to win with fox when everyone knows the matchup, and it somehow proves you're a better player if you're winning matchups everyone is familiar with instead of relying on gimmicks

or something to that effect

which is an interesting way of looking at it

also
"Because you are not a "hero" just because you pick a low tier and almost make it out of pools, not to mention picking a high tier (like falcon) and thinking you're a hero while blaming all your losses on the character.
Pick a top tier, or stfu."
inasmuch as you are not a "hero" just because you switch to a top tier and win. in fact, i'd be willing to say that is the least heroic course of action.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Problem - not winning

Solution 1 - get better with your ****ty character
Solution 2 - switch to a better character

Copping out may not be the most honorable solution, but it's a solution none the less.

Forcing yourself to use a bad character because of pride isn't a solution and it certainly isn't honorable.

I just can't accept that the people who continuously complain about their characters are really the people that are having the most fun. If your love for your main is so strong that you'd rather lose (and blame it on the character) than simply switch your character, it seems that your love is for the character and not the game.

i DESPISE the way samus was developed and i think we would all benefit from an actual patch fixing low tiers and nerfing high tiers - but nobody would ever be down for that, so it's a nonissue. that being said, i still have a lot of fun with her and i'm constantly trying to perform different maneuvers and enjoy her to the best of my ability. i simply don't find any other characters fun to dedicate time to.
This is a psychotic mindset and a prime example of loving the character more than the game.

Like i said, i have full respect for the low tier players that love their characters and will lose with honor. But when you say that you play the game because you love your character, and then continuously blame your losses on the character, it's just one big contradiction that i will never understand.

And by "you" i mean any given person.

You know i love you robert <3

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Please don't compare Kero and Leffen lol. Leffen can say whatever he wants about "being gimmicky," but the truth is that he sucked as Yoshi, and has JUST now gotten very good after years of ****talk.

This reminds me of people doubting amsa after EVO, even DICTATORDUDE. Then Amsa gets 9th place at Apex with Yoshi.

Apparently if you don't complain about your low tier, you ****ing win.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
This is just the timeless play to win vs play for fun schism in disguise
yeah, but the difference is that it is not from the ideological standpoint. in other words, if fox_main17 wants to win with fox without using the u-smash, that's his call and no one should annoy him to do otherwise, except for the people who actually like arguing for argument's sake lol.
if however fox_main17 does the same and then comes on the boards to complain that he's not winning without the u-smash, that his character sucks, etc, then people - the play-to-win people, most likely - will say 'stop whining and start using good moves then. stop whining and find a way to get better instead'.
I would've used **** in the example but we don't talk about the dead isn't that right

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Problem - not winning

Solution 1 - get better with your ****ty character
Solution 2 - switch to a better character

Copping out may not be the most honorable solution, but it's a solution none the less.

Forcing yourself to use a bad character because of pride isn't a solution and it certainly isn't honorable.
in a general sense, everyone's problem with smash is "not winning", isn't it? even people who use high tiers don't win that often

however, that's too blanket, so let's call it "not winning with your character of choice"

in which case, switching to a better character literally solves nothing.
I just can't accept that the people who continuously complain about their characters are really the people that are having the most fun. If you're love for your main is so strong that you'd rather lose (and blame it on the character) than simply switch your character, it seems that your love is for the character and not the game.

This is a psychotic mindset and a prime example of loving the character more than the game.

Like i said, i have full respect for the low tier players that love their characters and will lose with honor. But when you say that you play the game because you love your character, and then continuously blame your losses on the character, it's just one big contradiction that i will never understand.

And by "you" i mean any given person.

You know i love you robert <3
i have a lot of fun and i'm constantly ******** about how much samus sucks. but i don't love samus as a franchise character or anything, she's just the only one i really love playing as. and i do enjoy the game - because it's brought a lot of people into my life whom i otherwise never would have spent time with (all of my housemates from when i started playing, for instance, anyone i hang out with outside of tourney settings, etcetc).

i don't think i've ever blamed samus for losing; i've always blamed myself for not playing well in that scenario. or if i have, i certainly don't remember, and was probably ****ing around.

did i lose vs firo, kefit, fireblaster, shears, jimmyjoe, ceasar and mew2king because i was playing samus? of course not. i lost because i got outplayed. i mean, i'd never say "i would have won if i went falcon", or "i would have won if he didn't go pika".

was i at a disadvantage playing samus? of course. but that doesn't mean much.

i know you love me. and i love most people.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
in a general sense, everyone's problem with smash is "not winning", isn't it? even people who use high tiers don't win that often
Lol that's not true though.

My falcon would lose to boom's pika. My pika would lose to boom's pika. Not much i can do there lol. (falcon is like a mid tier for me)

My falcon lost to CC's kirby at Montreal but i switched to pika and won the tournament.

I'm not sitting here trying to convince everyone to use pika and i'm certainly not saying that if you use top tier you'll become like an S tier player or something. But you can't deny that there is a definitely a difference between how well the low tiers and high tiers perform.

Everybody knows that there are two types of players: play-to-win and play-for-fun.

Both types of players are fine. Neither bother me.

What does bother me is simple: the play-for-fun people that look down on the play-to-win people EVEN THOUGH 99% of the time they're the ones who ***** and moan about every little thing wrong with their character.

Your attitude is (mostly) fine, Rob. Most play-for-fun people are chill. It's the ones that non-stop whine about their mains and then have the ****ing audacity to judge those who switch their mains that really piss me off.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Your attitude is (mostly) fine, Rob. Most play-for-fun people are chill. It's the ones that non-stop whine about their mains and then have the ****ing audacity to judge those who switch their mains that really piss me off.
Where are these people exactly

I can think of like 2 people who are said to whine about their mains (cobr and Han Solo), and I don't remember either of them giving anyone **** for switching mains before your post. Seems like you're complaining about nobody.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i'm not saying exactly who :surprised:

that ****'s mean

you can just assume i'm complaining about nobody lol, doesn't bother me

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
to be honest idk why anyone would even pick blue hat pika to begin with

that **** is even uglier than the hatless pika

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
u guys all suck even with good mains

u should make the switch to single player games then u will always win

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
that feel when you're eating kero's sugary white goodness
I try to be as open minded as possible, so if that's what you're into, good for you. Idk if Pez exists in the land of the kangaroos, Crocodile hunters, dingos, etc. but it doesn't come in white. Of course, if you like to dye it white to satisfy your urges, I won't stop you.

Vale

Smash Ace
hey wait a second
is kerokerokeroppi the same thing as keroppi hasunoue from hello kitty
wowowowowow

ok, back to pez and pikachu hats, i guess

Battlecow

Play to Win
low tier mains generally seem to understand that it's their choice, I've never gotten johns from them (there is of course the fireblaster salt about high tiers but that's a different thing)

often I'll commiserate with someone and they'll be all "nah dude that matchup's fine I can totally do it what are you talking about"

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
What does bother me is simple: the play-for-fun people that look down on the play-to-win people EVEN THOUGH 99% of the time they're the ones who ***** and moan about every little thing wrong with their character
This describes caneut perfectly. That crybaby whines about falcon uair combos.

Last edited:

P D

Smash Ace
played in a local 64 toruney. only played against kirby the entire tourney.

Zero fun was had, even the money from it is dirty in my heart

P D

Smash Ace
i go on every now and then on a different alias and wreck a few kids

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
But you can't deny that there is a definitely a difference between how well the low tiers and high tiers perform.
you mean high and low tier players, because there's countless amounts of evidence of low tiers placing extremely well at tourneys

My falcon lost to CC's kirby at Montreal but i switched to pika and won the tournament.
the problem people have is not winning, because most people simply don't win. it's not like we have a constantly changing top 4 at these events...

"even people who use high tiers don't win that often"

what i meant was

you forget that on the east coast, the only people who have won locals are you, sensei, a$, m2k, stranded, and nintendude. all using 1-5 on the tier list. oh and star king too.

now count the people who placed well but haven't won. the rest of the kerishiya all use falcon/pika (save for ceasar, but mario is still 5), breakthrough's falcon, shears' pika, jnatty's kirby, chain ace's fox, jimmyjoe's pika and kirby, clubba's pika/falcon, greg's pika, shade's fox, valoem's pika, megavolt's falcon...

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I played some 64 online on Smash FU for a while, and it was the most awful experience I've had. Besides having to play on 7 frames (can't play on LAN), people still lag like they're on dial-up. 2-0-1-4, people. People still ragequit like usual. All of the Mexicans I played lied about ds right when they were about to lose.

I'm also under aliases again as I believe smasherx74 will ban me as soon as he knows who I am.

Top Bottom