• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
I didn't make it onto the stream. I have dishonered my family. Time to Seppuku

Maliki

Smash Ace
Lvl 9s are to much fun to beat down.

Why would it be too if I was just putting it as lvl 9s are fun to beat down and not something like lvl 9s are also fun to beat down t was intended as lvl 9s are fun to beat.

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Lvl 9s are to much fun to beat down.

Why would it be too if I was just putting it as lvl 9s are fun to beat down and not something like lvl 9s are also fun to beat down t was intended as lvl 9s are fun to beat.
I already explained why.

Sedda

Smash Champion
fireblaster... seriously?

I understand that you feel down about how things have worked out with you/Apex/the community and whatevver, but come on. Are you here to play games and have some fun or to be some big shot competitor? You're disappointing yourself.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
who was on stream? for JAXEL

alexmon27, vice, tacos, dota box, kpkoopa, dexter, fez, isai, ybombb, daddysthunder, mariguas, kennyb, nainsoo, sheermadness, clubba, ceasar, revan, solo, ruoka, killer, sensei, merihim, z, jimmyjoe, skyfire, justin KONG, phut, greg, wizzy, chu dat, aisengobay, moyashi, komo, sk, jonnis, nintendude, amida, jaime, eggmode, banze, meta, boom, koro, cobr, firo

who's NOT listed? for JAXEL. just people i know or played against briefly or wanted to see on stream

stranded, kero, maliki, megavolt, vwls, weedwack, chain ace, eliot, smash jesus, artist omega, hectohertz, jnatty, ref, shade, jam, marbles, combo blaze, knitephox, near, sawa, singularity, sleeh, widl, pete, to joe, rudy, olikus, karajan, bloodpeach, breakthrough, tom bombadil, smokey, bowl, student, jel, kefit, shears, hipstur

+ dozens more i don't know/random guys

players not featured on main stream but on solo's recording setup: olikus

players not featured on main stream but on bloodpeach's recording setup: pete, karajan, kero, fireblaster, weedwack, megavolt, maliki, combo blaze, stranded, yunque, jel, shade, rudy

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
fireblaster... seriously?

I understand that you feel down about how things have worked out with you/Apex/the community and whatevver, but come on. Are you here to play games and have some fun or to be some big shot competitor? You're disappointing yourself.
I guess I'll give one of the many reasons
give one of the many reasons
one of many
Is everyone in this thread being a ****ing ****** or do you all just lack reading comprehension? Or maybe you all just love taking what I say out of context and exaggerating it?

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Ill check it out.

On another note how old do you think the average smash player is?
Ill check it out.

On another note how old do you think the average smash player is?
Kids take to Smash Brothers all the time. I'd imagine largely with Brawl in latent years, and to some extent Melee. The 64 community is definitely smaller, but also older, so I'd imagine the average age for 64 adherents to be older than Brawlers and perhaps so with the Melee crowd. This is just speculation, because really, I have no idea. If there's a lot of 10 year olds playing Brawl, the average would be brought down significantly. I'm not aware of any statistical studies on the demographics of Smash Brothers.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Fireblaster u suck just quit. u wun
b gud cauze Yoshi licks ballz and Mario rides him so they're both gey. Kirby5eva

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Aren't you that guy who constantly confuses "its" and "it's"?

YEAH I NOTICED

Not that I really care. I just always find that sort of contrast funny.

who was on stream? for JAXEL

alexmon27, vice, tacos, dota box, kpkoopa, dexter, fez, isai, ybombb, daddysthunder, mariguas, kennyb, nainsoo, sheermadness, clubba, ceasar, revan, solo, ruoka, killer, sensei, merihim, z, jimmyjoe, skyfire, justin KONG, phut, greg, wizzy, chu dat, aisengobay, moyashi, komo, sk, jonnis, nintendude, amida, jaime, eggmode, banze, meta, boom, koro, cobr, firo

who's NOT listed? for JAXEL. just people i know or played against briefly or wanted to see on stream

stranded, kero, maliki, megavolt, vwls, weedwack, chain ace, eliot, smash jesus, artist omega, hectohertz, jnatty, ref, shade, jam, marbles, combo blaze, knitephox, near, sawa, singularity, sleeh, widl, pete, to joe, rudy, olikus, karajan, bloodpeach, breakthrough, tom bombadil, smokey, bowl, student, jel, kefit, shears, hipstur

+ dozens more i don't know/random guys

players not featured on main stream but on solo's recording setup: olikus

players not featured on main stream but on bloodpeach's recording setup: pete, karajan, kero, fireblaster, weedwack, megavolt, maliki, combo blaze, stranded, yunque, jel, shade, rudy
Bad timing friend.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
what? i was replying to javi, not just saying it out of nowhere. making a point that there were lots of people in the same situation.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
You could literally apply that to nearly anything. :ohwell:
*too

jk

javi, i love you
fireblaster, i hate you

jk

There was definitely an issue with stream distribution this apex. It was kind of a first come first serve basis for whichever players decided to play their game on stream (at least for pool 1 and 2 early in the day). Occasionally TOs told players to get a particular match streamed, but they can't possibly do that for the whole tournament and not miss anything. Maybe before next apex it could be decided a bit more beforehand which games go on stream. Obviously if something out of the ordinary happens we could still be flexible, but overall it could be better. Me vs amida was on stream. Me vs Sheermadness was not. That's ****ed up and I totally would've beat sheer if I had the crowd getting hype #sheercracksunderpressure #shotsfired

Aren't you that guy who constantly confuses "its" and "it's"?
I honestly dont no the difference of the top off my head, butt I no won is possessive and won is plural.

If it were a serious piece of literature I'd prolly just look it up.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it honestly boggles the mind that 'too' can be confused with any of the myriad uses of 'to'

seriously, i know english is a ****ing ******** language but this isn't even a mildly difficult element of it, it's like the difference between holey and holy

'its' and 'it's' i can sort of understand, even 'there', 'they're' and 'their', but 'too' and 'to'? not even related to grammar or sentence structure, it is two distinct words with two absolutely different meanings

Maliki

Smash Ace
it honestly boggles the mind that 'too' can be confused with any of the myriad uses of 'to'

seriously, i know english is a ****ing ******** language but this isn't even a mildly difficult element of it, it's like the difference between holey and holy

'its' and 'it's' i can sort of understand, even 'there', 'they're' and 'their', but 'too' and 'to'? not even related to grammar or sentence structure, it is two distinct words with two absolutely different meanings

It honestly boggles my mind that someone can get this worked up over a mistake in the use of a word.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
good english opens doors

it's perfectly fine to make these mistakes, but dont defend them

edit: i missed an apostrophe GUESS IM BAD AT ENGLISH

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can say the same for the other examples you gave... you're not making a very clear point.

you missed your period
Star King RULES:

If it's just one stand-alone line, usually no period

Possibly not the last sentence of a block of text, either. They're mostly to separate sentences, in my mind (sometimes for emphasis)

May not capitalize either, but I usually do. Depends on my mood.

Emoticons count as punctuation.

Do not miss apostrophes.

Do not confuse homophones.

^These 3 single lines have periods because, in my mind, they seem more "final" that way, kind of hard to explain

May not follow some rules about grouping symbols + punctuation syntax, because I think some of them are stupid (and vary by country?)

run-on sentences are cool and funny

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
U cn't tel mi wit 2 du fegit
fite me irl fegbut il *** u upp lozr

You can say the same for the other examples you gave... you're not making a very clear point.
my point is simple, and i realise how ironic this post will have to be (due to my laziness)

idk why anyone would defend poor grammar or english, it's something that we have to live with purely due to how prevalent it is, but it's certainly not something you should criticise others for pointing out (nor is it really something you should bother pointing out, because you arent going to change anything by doing so)

the entire culture of not giving a **** is an enormous pain to people who have to deal with said no-****s-given people as a full-time profession

the reason i didnt type this properly is because i would have to maintain proper english throughout posts for at least a month lest someone calls me out, so **** that im just gonna take the hypocrite label now

Star King RULES
narcissist :happysheep:

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
May not follow some rules about grouping symbols + punctuation syntax, because I think some of them are stupid (and vary by country?)
they do, or at least, french commas are confusing to me

Do not confuse homophones
are you like that david foster wallace dude who says 'witch' differently than 'which'? (cf that scene in the movie hot rod making fun of this)

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
my point is simple, and i realise how ironic this post will have to be (due to my laziness)

idk why anyone would defend poor grammar or english, it's something that we have to live with purely due to how prevalent it is, but it's certainly not something you should criticise others for pointing out (nor is it really something you should bother pointing out, because you arent going to change anything by doing so)

the entire culture of not giving a **** is an enormous pain to people who have to deal with said no-****s-given people as a full-time profession

the reason i didnt type this properly is because i would have to maintain proper english throughout posts for at least a month lest someone calls me out, so **** that im just gonna take the hypocrite label now
It's just that I feel many people point out mistakes that the person already knows about. So they're not educating others or anything, they're just wasting everyone's time by pointing out rules that the offender has clearly chosen to ignore.

I could follow you around and point out your missing capitalization, punctuation, apostrophes - would that be making a good contribution? In my opinion, definitely not. That's about as far as you can get from interesting discussion, and I'm pretty sure you already know about these rules.

Furthermore, I feel that people bending grammatical rules lends them their own personal writing style. For example, your missing capitalization, punctuation, apostrophes, etc. gives you a more laid-back, casual style, if you ask me, and a recognizable one too. You writing without these personal quirks just wouldn't feel "you". IMO, wanting nothing less than perfect grammar in places where it is really not needed (internet video game forums), is wanting to quash individuality and make discussion all the more bland.
narcissist :happysheep:
See if this was your post alone I probably would've liked it, hue. I thought it was funny.

they do, or at least, french commas are confusing to me
I meant these rules vary within the English language between countries. IIRC US, UK, Australia have different rules on parentheses + punctuation placement, quotation marks + punctuation placement and stuff. Don't really remember which had which but yeah, I disagree with some country or countries (I think it might've been the US's rules I disagreed with?)

are you like that david foster wallace dude who says 'witch' differently than 'which'? (cf that scene in the movie hot rod making fun of this)
No, I mean in text :S

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's just that I feel many people point out mistakes that the person already knows about. So they're not educating others or anything, they're just wasting everyone's time by pointing out rules that the offender has clearly chosen to ignore.
i get that being a grammar nazi isnt cool, but that doesnt automatically make them the one in the wrong, especially given that poor english reflects poorly and there's honestly not much reason to keep your english bad (again, hypocrisy, but i feel i can pull out english writing skills in appropriate situations)

I could follow you around and point out your missing capitalization, punctuation, apostrophes - would that be making a good contribution? In my opinion, definitely not. That's about as far as you can get from interesting discussion, and I'm pretty sure you already know about these rules.
if somebody's a grammar nazi, that's the end of that, they're an upright dirk and we can go our separate ways

trying to actively defend blatantly mistaken english is more questionable imo

Furthermore, I feel that people bending grammatical rules lends them their own personal writing style. For example, your missing capitalization, punctuation, apostrophes, etc. gives you a more laid-back, casual style, if you ask me, and a recognizable one too. You writing without these personal quirks just wouldn't feel "you". IMO, wanting nothing less than perfect grammar in places where it is really not needed (internet video game forums), is wanting to quash individuality and make discussion all the more bland.
ill mostly concede this point because you can only glean so much personality from uniformly formatted text, but you can't defend poor english by saying that's your personal writing style, and i say that as someone whose posting style is entirely defined by inconsistently mistaken formatting (i still dont know why i dont punctuate 'don't' or 'weren't') - obviously, actual writing style shouldnt be defined by the mistakes you make

besides, the post i have with the most likes was formatted properly, albeit riddled with sentence fragments (which i used to create emphasis, as you well know), so...

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I meant these rules vary within the English language between countries. IIRC US, UK, Australia have different rules on parentheses + punctuation placement, quotation marks + punctuation placement and stuff.
I see. but I think that's very specific stuff, like: when should you use single quotes vs double quotes.
some stuff is debatable, different style manuals in the US say different things, etc. I doubt people actually know what are the norms in their countries.

No, I mean in text :S
I know, I was just kidding because I find it odd some people deliberately pronounce that h sound in words like 'white'. but at least now I know why Pokémon White is 'howaito' in jp, and not 'waito'.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Ugh a page full of grammar and emoblaster and counter-emoblaster. Probably the worst page in the thread

Top Bottom