• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
an anime discussion? oh boy sounds fun (note: i don't watch anime)
naruto sucks
bleach sucks
one piece sucks
code lyoko was pretty cool but it was like french or something i think and i was like 8 or something when i watched it if i went back it would probably suck
shows with games (e.g. pokemon, yugioh) suck
full metal alchemist brotherhood was alright but not sure if worth the time
somebody tried to get me to watch some really lame show about vampires a year or two ago but i don't remember the name and it sucked
uh
i don't know anything currently airing/recent
oh well

edit: i've been meaning to watch suck sword art online but from what i've heard it sucks too so w/e
well that's because you haven't dug deeper into the vault of actually reasonably good anime but it exists

like half of the stuff you listed is stuff i've seen on cartoon network and most of it falls under the shonen category which is typically aired to 13 year old kids and up in japan

i will admit i love some shonen anime and also some sappy slice-of-life shoujos but that's because i have no dignity left\

look into the seinen category if you're looking for a more mature experience, stuff like JJBA (kinda laughing at this one considering how crazy it can get) or Berserk (already mentioned) or something like Monster

i would also say Oyasumi Punpun but don't read that it will ruin your life like it did mine

Vale

Smash Ace
yeah, i know there's better stuff out there. i've been meaning to try one of them, but i usually get bored watching shows because of the lack of involvement. if i get the time i'll try out one this weekend. you listed a couple of things there, what would you say is the best one?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
yeah, i know there's better stuff out there. i've been meaning to try one of them, but i usually get bored watching shows because of the lack of involvement. if i get the time i'll try out one this weekend. you listed a couple of things there, what would you say is the best one?
JJBA is a personal favorite for me, it's got some really grotesque body horror though and as the title ensues, it can get really bizarre. Did I mention that it's still on-going and the original manga (Part I: Phantom Blood) was made in like the 1980s? In Part III they literally fight the sun. Don't ask me why.

The art-style is really great also and while I wouldn't say the story is amazing what the real draw to it is the over-the-top seinen action and likable characters (not mentioning a certain someone but you'll get why everyone hates him)

Also it's very quotable and is filled with a ton of screen-cap worthy images.

Did I also mention that nearly every single character is a homage to an obscure band reference? And how in the ending OP in Part I plays this song?

aa back me up here i remember your joseph joestar avatar you ****

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i refuse, simply because you mentioned 'oyasumi punpun'

who ****ing does that

that's like saying kimi no iru machi is a quality piece of work

(JJBA is good but manga scans are ****ing terrible from part 3 onwards)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If you're bored in the next few days (up to the 11th) check out this stream:

http://gamesdonequick.com/

It is people speed running games for charity (you can donate $ to the Prevent Cancer Foundation). Pretty cool stuff to see people complete these games super fast.

If you like speed runs there's a lot of really awesome speed runs at http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/ as well as http://zeldaspeedruns.com/ for Zelda games (crazy stuff like beating Ocarina of Time in 20 minutes).

For the stream marathon I'm probably most looking forward to the Ocarina of Time all dungeons race (they will split screen 2 TVs and 2 people are gonna race to the end of the game). That's tomorrow at ~6PM pacific time.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
kind of late notice there ballin lol

I count 5 or 6 games I have played and know enough about to be interested in watching, which I think is around the same as AGDQ/SDGQ 2013 were. I don't play that many games, I guess.

I just watched the Youtube videos for AGDQ/SGDQ 2013 since I missed the events. There's nothing left on Saturday I'm interested in, so I'll probably do the same. Frogles has been trying to get me to play Chrono Trigger for months, so if I had listened I would have that at least. But whatever.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i dont like the chrono trigger art style

it's honestly not fast-paced enough to warrant the DBZ treatment

this is a terrible and bias-marred perspective but i stand by it

ballin4life

Smash Hero
kind of late notice there ballin lol

I count 5 or 6 games I have played and know enough about to be interested in watching, which I think is around the same as AGDQ/SDGQ 2013 were. I don't play that many games, I guess.

I just watched the Youtube videos for AGDQ/SGDQ 2013 since I missed the events. There's nothing left on Saturday I'm interested in, so I'll probably do the same. Frogles has been trying to get me to play Chrono Trigger for months, so if I had listened I would have that at least. But whatever.
Sorry, i didn't put 2 and 2 together until i realized i had a smashboards tab open next to an AGDQ tab ("oh, people on smashboards might be interested in this"). Well, they do these twice a year now so maybe next time.

Chrono Trigger seems like a pretty boring game to speed run IMO (great game though and seriously incredible music). Real time games >>>>> turn based games for speed runs.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
If you're bored in the next few days (up to the 11th) check out this stream:

http://gamesdonequick.com/

It is people speed running games for charity (you can donate $ to the Prevent Cancer Foundation). Pretty cool stuff to see people complete these games super fast.

If you like speed runs there's a lot of really awesome speed runs at http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/ as well as http://zeldaspeedruns.com/ for Zelda games (crazy stuff like beating Ocarina of Time in 20 minutes).

For the stream marathon I'm probably most looking forward to the Ocarina of Time all dungeons race (they will split screen 2 TVs and 2 people are gonna race to the end of the game). That's tomorrow at ~6PM pacific time.

coolest thing was ROB THE TAS ROBOT

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
dragon ball manga is good
one piece manga is the only good shonen since dragon ball manga
and it's better than db

eng dub of cowboy bebop is gdlk. i read books in spike's voice
episode 5 of samurai champloo is amazing

watanabe's sakamichi is too kawaii-teen-high-school for my tastes and i preferred his other stuff.

the ost of all watanabe animes are worth it
the quote has nothing to do with what i'm about to say but this will get your attention

the rankings announcement just made me realize you've been hoarding tournament info for months...and this could very well be the time to UNLEASH IT

mixa

Banned via Warnings
was watching J matches with commentary, kinda to figure out how they call the attacks, and in one instance Prince, who's on the mic, sees that Kirby D-tilt and its stupid range sending a Yoshi down the hole and says: "what were you thinking, Sakurai?"

and that time I decided to read the comments on a nicovideo kirby vs ness and it was just a spam of cheap cheap cheap cheap

the kirby hate never ceases to amuse me

@cobr, what ranking announcement. and I don't have anything to release, I just have the brackets and results (and nothing is in a spreadsheet or sth). nothing new there.

k, i gave it a look at the ranking.
the TOs and creators of the brackets are the ones who need to contribute to that. for a TO the process is more or less automatic. for non-TOs it's manual labor.
I put kanto 13 there because it's the only bracket I created myself. (it's gonna get deleted probably lol)

despite all that, there are many results threads that don't display (accurately) the characters used by the players. I was gathering that info (for the tournaments with many videos), but smashboards deleted the blogs so I lost that I guess.

by the way, this ranking is another incentive for people stop putting alts and stupid aliases in the bracket / results.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
I knew I should have recorded after her rest lol. I hesitated but then thought it wasn't necessary. If it ever happens again, I'll be sure to record.

Top Bottom