• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

They've been doing it since gen5, and gen8 doesn't look at good compared to 7. Ya I'm not buying it.
I think I may be confused,

Do you mean...

A. Retopologizing the models.
B. Adding new textures.
C. Both.

Shroob

Sup?
I think I may be confused,

Do you mean...

A. Retopologizing the models.
B. Adding new textures.
C. Both.
The 3ds models are the same models they've been using since the 3d pokedex. They've been using the same models for over 10 years, just giving them a new coat of paint each time.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Masuda finally spoke.

As expected it boils down to:

Let your wallet decide
Masuda: Sucks. We'll add different Pokemon in Sharp Sword and Strong Shield though dw

Twitter's gonna be real fun for a while.

That's the most smart idea :denzel:

Also y'all join Black Eagles
black eagles don't have Mercedes though

Each house has like 3 characters I really like so I can't decide.

D

Deleted member

The 3ds models are the same models they've been using since the 3d pokedex. They've been using the same models for over 10 years, just giving them a new coat of paint each time.
If they’re giving them a new coat of paint, then yes, they’re registered as new models.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Everyone seems to hate GameFreak for this, but let’s be real, they probably had a good reason for this. I mean, that’s a lot of Pokemon to code in, and a lot of memory your using by adding literally every Pokemon ever.
If they were going to revamp the entire game or outright change the mechanics of Pokemon then this would be understandable, but Game Freak did no such thing. What have they shown us so far that implied that Pokemon is getting rebranded? By giving us an underwhelming mechanic that only increases the size of a Pokemon's model? Sure we have free roaming segments now, but it's not enough to justify cutting so many content. People analyzed the code of Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, and they found that Game Freak's code is hilariously bad, making multiple copies of the same NPC model to use in different situations rather than using the same one model and transfer it to all the different places. This bloatware resulted in the game having a bigger file size than it needed. Game Freak doesn't even make the 3D models for the Pokemon, a different studio called Creature, Inc does the models which gives Game Freak some breathing room. The excuse of this being their first console game doesn't really make sense when they've already made a game called Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee which means they already have experience developing on the Nintendo Switch. As far as I'm concerned Game Freak is in the wrong here, and not the number of Pokemon increasing.

Shroob

Sup?
If they’re giving them a new coat of paint, then yes, they’re registered as new models.
And said models take up little space. You're not going to convince me it's impossible when sun and moon had over 800, and sword shield looks like an upscale 3ds game.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon arguments again
I’m something of a politician myself.

If they were going to revamp the entire game or outright change the mechanics of Pokemon then this would be understandable, but Game Freak did no such thing. What have they shown us so far that implied that Pokemon is getting rebranded? By giving us an underwhelming mechanic that only increases the size of a Pokemon's model? Sure we have free roaming segments now, but it's not enough to justify cutting so many content. People analyzed the code of Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, and they found that Game Freak's code is hilariously bad, making multiple copies of the same NPC model to use in different situations rather than using the same one model and transfer it to all the different places. This bloatware resulted in the game having a bigger file size than it needed. Game Freak doesn't even make the 3D models for the Pokemon, a different studio called Creature, Inc does the models which gives Game Freak some breathing room. The excuse of this being their first console game doesn't really make sense when they've already made a game called Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee which means they already have experience developing on the Nintendo Switch. As far as I'm concerned Game Freak is in the wrong here, and not the number of Pokemon increasing.
1. They have to. Even if they recycled code, it still counts as seperate memory. It’s still taking up space.
2. I never said it’s getting rebranded. lol
3. As for multiple models of the same thing, they’re most likely, slightly more high poly versions for cutscenes. If they’re legit the same model over and over, then yeah, that’s on them.
4. No matter who makes it, it still takes up space in the memory.
5. No one’s “in the wrong.” lol

And said models take up little space. You're not going to convince me it's impossible when sun and moon had over 800, and sword shield looks like an upscale 3ds game.
Unless they plan on adding some mind blowing thing that takes up a lot of space, which I doubt, then gotta say, I agree with that.

Shroob

Sup?
Another thing

Gamefreak "it would take too much manpower"

Also Gamefreak "let's add over 800 custom walk cycles in sumo that go unused in every game"

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I thought that was the secret fighter pass character, Gruntilda?

Actually, no, I don't want to see Gruntilda with Bayo's proportions...

Oh wait...
Can I be weirdly real for a second? There was always something that I really liked about her eyes, I literally cannot put my finger on what though.

D

Deleted member

Another thing

Gamefreak "it would take too much manpower"

Also Gamefreak "let's add over 800 custom walk cycles in sumo that go unused in every game"
lol

I understand leaving unused content in a game if it’s cut last second, but if you have 800 walk cycles that go completely unused and you don’t remove them, then what are you doing.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
We are gon create the true superior games:

Pokémon Argument and Pokémon Discussion

:112:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It really is his fault, huh? Everyone had kinda stopped and it had been kept to Twitter, 4chan and reddit.... and then he just had to open his mouth.
Even though I don't really care too deeply about this matter myself, there was nothing to gain from Masuda here to make this statement. If he had nothing re-assuring to say to the fans; don't say it

D

Deleted member

We are gon create the true superior games:

Pokémon Argument and Pokémon Discussion

:112:
Everyone says they want Pokemon Discussion, but they always buy Pokemon Arguement.

Hello everyone!
Hello. Welcome to the Pokewars.

I think he might be the problem in general.

I get a real George Lucas vibe from some of the things he says.
What did George Lucas do?

Everyone: Moved on from the debate gradually
Masuda:

I can’t tell if I hate or love how true this is.

Potato_

Smash Lord
It really is his fault, huh? Everyone had kinda stopped and it had been kept to Twitter, 4chan and reddit.... and then he just had to open his mouth.
And it didn't even add anything of substance to the argument either, he just confirmed what almost everybody assumed already. Nobody thought that they were going to keep the same cast of Pokemon going forward for every game, it was implied they would be switched according to the region.

He essentially repeated what he had originally said, nothing more.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm just going to quote Strong Bad here because he already addressed this misconception perfectly:

I hate to bring something up from a few pages ago but this is bar none of the saddest things to read as a game developer. I've personally worked 60 hours+ per week for months at a time on a project to ensure it comes to fruition only to be called "lazy," by a playerbase because of entirely unreasonable expectations on the part of gamers. I wish there was better education on what it takes to build out a game so that gamers would have more empathy when things need to be cut in order to release on time.

To properly re-topograph, rig, and animate attack animations for these characters to fit the quality bar that they've set on the team would take an obcene amount of time. And important to note is that this is a part of the pipeline; it can't be done in a vacuum. After that work is done, VFX artists and sound designers can get to work on those Pokemon, so that adds more time. Like, they could totally do it, but the game would release in like, late 2020 or early 2021 instead, and whether or not it's actually an effective use of resources comes heavily into question. Ignoring the actual cost of production vs sales of Sword/Shield, by that point the Switch's lifespan would be closer to over, and they'd have to do this same song and dance for the next game on the next console to meet a higher bar of quality. The demand that every single Pokemon be in each new game is a massive burden any time they want to improve the quality of their models and would make it happen far less often. They did it for Pokemon X/Y, but now there's like 200+ more Pokemon and they were probably having 3D modelers work on those while the rest of the team was at work on Pokemon Black/White 2. I totally understand being bummed out (I'm sure some of my favorite Pokemon will be absent from this entry) but it's super dejecting to see this lack of empathy from gamers on this issue.
The short of it is: Just because those models exists doesn't mean they're easy to update. There lot of work and resources that goes into this and trying to write it off as a simple task is underplaying the situation.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He made Star Wars.

Seriously, though, I'm lacking a lot of context here in regards to Pokemon and Masuda, but I believe a big part of the problem (with George Lucas, anyway) is that he had much more creative control in the prequels than he did in the original movies, nobody was willing to tell him that something might not be a good idea, or that it could be improved, and we wound up with two really bad Star Wars movies where the entire conflict is a result of a trade dispute. (though they definitely had their moments, and for the most part, I liked Revenge of the Sith)

It seems like something similar might be happening here, with concepts like Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions being cut (along with possibly hundreds of Pokemon), but I'm not familiar enough with modern Pokemon and the people behind the games to know for certain.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
The prequels. But it goes further than that, the original 2 movies turned out as good as they did because George was mostly unknown at the time, so people were able to say "no George, that's a stupid idea." But by the time Jedi was in production he had too much ego and pull in the industry, so everyone basically became yes-men, so we ended up with teddy bears instead of Wookiees in the big final fight because "teddy bears are cute, the toys will sell well".

Sorry, Star Wars rants are my thing.

Shroob

Sup?
He made Star Wars.

Seriously, though, I'm lacking a lot of context here in regards to Pokemon and Masuda, but I believe a big part of the problem (with George Lucas, anyway) is that he had much more creative control in the prequels than he did in the original movies, nobody was willing to tell him that something might not be a good idea, or that it could be improved, and we wound up with two really bad Star Wars movies where the entire conflict is a result of a trade dispute. (though they definitely had their moments, and for the most part, I liked Revenge of the Sith)
Is it wrong to say I like Phantom Menace more than AotC?

Menace is bad but it's at least stupid bad.

AotC is just a bad movie.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Is it wrong to say I like Phantom Menace more than AotC?

Menace is bad but it's at least stupid bad.

AotC is just a bad movie.
come to think of it, I can't think of any good prequel memes from attack of the clones, they're all from RotS or Phantom Menace

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Haha I got pushed off the cliff and into the void by the Ender Dragon and lost all of my stuff. Again. Fun.

I can't wait to get Terraria. **** this game.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm reminded of this SilphSpectre video whenever the topic of whatever the **** is going on at Gamefreak is brought up, mostly because I'm beginning to think the reason Gamefreak is doing some of the things they are doing (such as relegating SwSh to what could be considered a skeleton crew) can be traced back to the success of Niantic's Pokemon Go

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Alright, but sand is the only good meme to come out of that one compared to the wealth of memes from the others

?????????????

Smash Master
Hey, I did another moveset video! This one is on Mr. Sandman; basically, it’s about if Punch-Out got a second character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So in the past I've hinted at knowing things about Smash that aren't public knowledge, let's say. I've been hearing something lately and I've finally been able to corroborate this with multiple people in the know, so I wanted to finally share it. Obviously, despite me believing this, remember to always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Okay so...leak time.

I have information that I very much believe is reliable. Won't reveal the sources obviously, but still, I personally have no reason to doubt any of them.

Basically, the Fighter Pass characters were decided long before a lot of people realize. Specifically, Banjo was negotiated back in April 2018, only a month after the original March Direct teaser trailer.

This info may seem to bare little of worth, but there are some takeaways here. This part is more speculative, but still. I think anyone believing that spirits aren't disconfirmations may be out of luck here, as I've suspected. If the pass was chosen that early, I don't see a case where those sorts of upgrades are possible. I also think this hits a SwSh Pokémon (barring a late addition a la Incineroar and Greninja) and new IPs like Astral Chain pretty hard.

Above all though, people should stop saying the DLC was decided in November lol.

So that's what I know. Figured I'd tell this thread since I imagine it's pretty relevant. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom