• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
If Ultimate had actual Break the Targets or Board the Platforms I think I'd die.

Oh, and I liked Race to the Finish as well, although the little thing we got in Ultimate's Classic Mode is kind of similar so I'm fine, just wish there was more variety in like the branching paths RttF had.

Really miss those

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Ultimate had actual Break the Targets or Board the Platforms I think I'd die.

Really miss those
It would have been awesome to see Break The Targets back, yes.

I would understand if they didn't do It like Melee due to the amount of characters, but I would have been fine if they did It like Brawl.

Just never do whatever Smash 4 tried to do again.

D

Deleted member

If I had to rank the Smash games I played It would go like:
Smash Run sounded cool, yes, but Smash 4 looked a lot better and ran more smoothly than Smash 3DS. This might sound biased, because I only played on the Wii U.
How’s everyone been doing as of now? Went through a minor depressive episode in the middle of a headache.

Just been reflecting a little on what I plan on doing next month for my life among other things...
I have a headache too.
Also my self-esteem continues to be low, and it feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel for me.
:/

I hope everything goes alright in the future.

D

Deleted member

How’s everyone been doing as of now? Went through a minor depressive episode in the middle of a headache.

Just been reflecting a little on what I plan on doing next month for my life among other things...
I’ve personally been a lot, mostly school stuff(because getting behind on only the second week would not be fun)

I’m also building my first MTG EDH deck in months; a Knight-based deck around the idea of just playing as many Knights as possible and abusing the fact my commanders makes all equip costs 0(hahah giant hammer go brrrr) to just slam my opponent(s) face in to two seconds flat.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
We ranking Smash Bros Games?

That's hard. I've played them all and have had good memories and moments with them all. I'll go into more detail later if anyone is interested.

I've got a few funny ones.

Dealing with a severe toothache and seems to be getting worse because of a chipped tooth. I'm gonna have to get over my bad phobia of the dentist and go on Tuesday cause bank holiday tomorrow.

Luckily listening to music, talking to you guys and playing games disguises the pain a bit though. Still hurts.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Smash artstyles, how would you all feel if Ultimate’s became the main de-facto art direction for Smash going forward?
I would be ok with It, as most of the characters I like from the roster look awesome in Ultimate.

Ridley, Dark Samus, K.Rool, the DQ8 Hero... They all manage to look great next to each other.

Wouldn't mind an artstyle change if done right doh.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I would be ok with It, as most of the characters I like from the roster look awesome in Ultimate.

Ridley, Dark Samus, K.Rool, the DQ8 Hero... They all manage to look great next to each other.

Wouldn't mind an artstyle change if done right doh.
For the record, I was mostly referring to the character renders. Just the right blend of realistic detail and colorful designs.

D

Deleted member

1. Ultimate
The best Smash game, yes. I love all of the amazing characters, the expressive art style, and spirits. Trophies were nice and all, but spirits are really fun. I love all of the DLC, and I love how the roster is insanely packed. It was amazing, and a great improvement compared to Smash 4. The solo content was improved, and the style was improved overall. My main issue is the online, it is atrocious. It is a major step down from For Glory, and For Glory was pretty flawed. Also spirits should have had descriptions, but I consider that only a small flaw. Either way, I love Ultimate.

2. Smash 4
The Smash game where I REALLY got into Smash. Cloud was fun as hell to play, and I remembered beating all of my friends with Cloud and angering them. Sometimes they would not even let me play Cloud. Anyways, it was fun. The characters were nice, and the atmosphere was smooth. The artstyle as a major improvement from Brawl. My issue is that the solo content was butchered from Brawl, especially on the Wii U. Smash Run would have been cool for the Wii U. Also getting trophies and other items felt too randomized. Rolling and air dodging was too safe too. Overall, I loved it.

3. Brawl
A game for the newcomer. It is fantastic in terms of solo content. Subspace Emissary was so awesome to me. Seeing all of these characters from different games have nice interactions was fun, even if they didn't have much dialogue. I kind of wish Ultimate did this, but I am fine with what we got. My issues with it is the slow and floaty nature, and the artstyle doesn't fit all that well.

4. Melee
I have played this game in the past before, but I'm just not skilled enough to dive myself into it. I used to be pretty into competitive Smash, but now its just not my thing. It is pretty fun though. Not much to say, because I didn't really invest in it that much.

5. Smash 64
This is my least favorite Smash game, but you know, I respect it. It seemed nice for its time. I am not going to go into much detail on this, because I only played it for a little bit.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Why do I have these random spurts of destructively introspective depression

huh guess its one of those days I hate myself for insignificant reasons which instills more self loathing

I hate these days

Sorry folks I don’t want to bring down the room I just need to distract my internal monologues
I can relate to a degree, tbh. Have you come up with a way to help you with this situation?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I like Ultimate the best but I'm still slightly disappointed in the lack of game modes and trophies. I understand why they aren't there but I miss proper all star, smash run, subspace, etc. Plus spirits just aren't the same as trophies imo.

D

Deleted member

I like Ultimate the best but I'm still slightly disappointed in the lack of game modes and trophies. I understand why they aren't there but I miss proper all star, smash run, subspace, etc. Plus spirits just aren't the same as trophies imo.
I mean the way of obtaining them is fantastic though. Fighting characters based on the spirit is fun, and the buffs are fun too.
In Smash 4, Brawl, and Melee, they were achieved randomly, and that was annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
I can relate to a degree, tbh. Have you come up with a way to help you with this situation?
No

I’m working to be a comedian and I feel like that Means that i have a sort of need to be validated maybe because I’m never able to validate myself

but I feel that’s one of the more selfish reasons I want to be a comedian but I do have a myriad of better ones to get into the entertainment industry

I think a lot of people who want to get into creative facets or are predispositioned to such things are on some level broken

I wish I could fix my issues I just need the guidebook on how
I wish you well
I know how agonizing this problem can be

EDIT: actually one time I had to write a poem about myself and it was therapudic to write out my turmoil I’m not saying write poems but sometimes it helps to get out of your head and on to parchment

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
sometimes I wish the characters in Ultimate looked exactly the same as their css portraits do. Obviously the graphics and gameplay are amazing...but I'm a petty *****, so make that sexy Sonic pic be in tbe gameplay itself within the next millennium

D

Deleted member

My self-esteem after 2018 be like:
I want to die. D:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Unlocking everything (especially the characters, stages and trophies) in Brawl was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I sunk hours into playing the game when I was younger, and it's definitely the Smash game I have the most nostalgia for.

Ultimate is my new favorite, and it's definitely the series' peak of quality, but Brawl still holds a special place in my heart.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
No

I’m working to be a comedian and I feel like that Means that i have a sort of need to be validated maybe because I’m never able to validate myself

but I feel that’s one of the more selfish reasons I want to be a comedianI do have a myriad of better ones to get into the entertainment industry

I think a lot of people who want to get into creative facets or are predispositioned to such things are on some level broken

I wish I could fix my issues I just need the guidebook on how
I wish you well
I know how agonizing this problem can be

EDIT: actually one time I had to write a poem about myself and it was therapudic to write out my turmoil I’m not saying write poems but sometimes it helps to get out of your head and on to parchment
Writing out all your emotions can be very helpful. I have a bit of an emotions journal called "my ramblings" which documents the different emotional struggles that I've had recently. While it's not 100% reliable, it can help a little. Maybe something similar could help you.

@NonsensicalThings That's Garfield Silver as Rangez's avatar, not Garfield Sonic. Notice the silver fur. It's not blue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of Smash artstyles, how would you all feel if Ultimate’s became the main de-facto art direction for Smash going forward?
Now I am wondering... How are they going to ever top Ultimate? Adding all of those characters was probably extremely difficult.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Updated my Yoshi drawing with a couple variants. Ill have some more interesting stuff in the next week or so I hope. At the very least, maybe I'll draw a scanned picture digitally or something.

Hope you guys have a good one.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Updated my Yoshi drawing with a couple variants. Ill have some more interesting stuff in the next week or so I hope. At the very least, maybe I'll draw a scanned picture digitally or something.

Hope you guys have a good one.
Zinith Zinith entered the chat

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
TBH. Not really. Smash's "art direction" is really just... what textures they use and stuff like that. Because it's not like the characters are all redesigned to be in the same art style or anything like that. And I honestly prefer the brighter and more saturated colors from 4 then the darker shading in Ultimate. Wouldn't mind if that was a choice you could make in the settings or something.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
1. Ultimate - Everything looks beautiful with the slight exception of Shulk's in-game model. Gameplay feels like a good middle ground between Melee and Brawl, which are my favorites, movement-wise (ignoring Brawl's tripping mechanic of course, which is awful). While I would love more single-player content, there's enough here to sink lots of time into. And this game has K Rool and Banjo, gosh it feels so odd not seeing them on the rosters of previous games. And Bowser and Pokemon Trainer, characters I fell in love with in their debut games, are actually good characters now. Easily my favorite Smash.

2. Brawl - Hot take putting it second? Perhaps, but I adore it. Subspace is the fun platforming and enemy fighting I wish Ultimate had. It's what makes me rate Brawl highly. I will admit the "gritty" style looks pretty bad, though.

3. Melee - The one I grew up with and poured a ton of hours into. I love it, and love watching it competitively even though I'm terrible at pulling off those movements myself. I love the single-player stuff here! Graphics are excellent for the Gamecube.

4. Smash 4 - This one feels the most meh in my opinion. Gameplay is meh, single player content is meh. Game looks pretty good but not amazing if we're talking the Wii U version. The 3DS version doesn't work well in graphics or controls (well, it's moreso the 3DS itself doesn't work well for controlling Smash in general).

5. Smash 64 - Barren single-player content, and I think this game looks kinda bad even for its time. It's not 64's fault, because it was made on a shoestring budget, but that doesn't change the fact that this is the least appealing game by comparison

I really respect the Ultimate stock icons, because they portray the character so simply and easily.

The Ultimate stock icons just pop off better to me.

:4olimar::ultolimar:
:4corrinf::ultcorrinf:
:4palutena::ultpalutena:
Same, I love the simplified design!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How was it ruined?
The overall structure of the mode changed. I still find it fun. But I totally get why others would dislike this change.

Basically, before, it worked like an extended Arcade mode with a set path, either series based or chronologically, depending on the game. In Ultimate, it's very similar to the 100-man fights but with actual characters rather than the fodder you normally fight. Though the novelty of chronological fights is still there.

I do admit to preferring the old style more, either way would make for a long fight. I just think handling it like an Arcade mode with a path that stays the same no matter the fighter would be better. Espeically since Arcade mode in Ultimate is tuned to each fighter, a unified variant still has it's place.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Imagine Smash Bros on Gameboy.
Have you ever heard of Super Smash Land? It's exactly that, or at least it's trying to emulate it

It even lives up to limitations a gameboy smash would have, and has only 6 characters. Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Vaporeon (odd choice but they're fun from what I remember).

Fun fact: the people that made it went on to create Rivals of Aether. And one of the characters, Orcane, essentially plays like Vaporeon does in Land

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I never looked up the 3DS version of Sonic all stars racing transformed before. I'm kinda surprised to see that it's the exact same game as the console version but with slightly worse graphics

I might pick this up for the 3DS collection.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I never looked up the 3DS version of Sonic all stars racing transformed before. I'm kinda surprised to see that it's the exact same game as the console version but with slightly worse graphics

I might pick this up for the 3DS collection.
I wouldn’t bother, the game always crashed on me whenever I rented it

D

Deleted member

Have you ever heard of Super Smash Land? It's exactly that, or at least it's trying to emulate it

It even lives up to limitations a gameboy smash would have, and has only 6 characters. Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Vaporeon (odd choice but they're fun from what I remember).

Fun fact: the people that made it went on to create Rivals of Aether. And one of the characters, Orcane, essentially plays like Vaporeon does in Land
Will have to try that Game out then.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Imagine Smash Bros on Gameboy.
There's a fan-game that emulates the style, I forget the name tho.

Now that I think of it, I never played Smash Crusade. I saw someone modded in Zero from Mega Man X, so with him and regular Mega Man, I might check that out one day. I liked that Mega Man had Rush Jet as the recovery since you can shoot and recover at the same time.

Someone else is also adding Mega Man X into Project M or something like that. And he looks really sick so far. I've seen people add in Smash 4 guys like Mega Man, Ryu and Little Mac to certain degrees too.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Man, I missed the Brawl conversation from a few pages back? I have a huge soft-spot for Brawl. There was one summer where me, my brother, and two of our friends would play that game religiously at my house. Whenever I think of Brawl, that's what I think of. Good times.

Then I got into making Brawl hacks shortly after that and that's how I ended up finding this site way back in 2013. Crazy how time flies. Those were the days for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom