• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm still pressing doubt. IMO, the mysterious "who's gonna be the Arms character" thing just doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint if it was the mascots or the most popular character in the fandom.
It makes sense if you consider the fact the mascots and popular characters were included in it, and the possibility it wasn’t necessarily done just for “guess who?” (which should still include the “obvious” choices anyway since not everyone would think they’re obvious and it’d be dumb to not do something just because of that) but to ride out ARMS hype and interest, releasing the trial right after and then the Smash reveal later for one more burst of hype. Companies care about this stuff. Perhaps they weren’t quite ready but wanted some announcement, too.

You can also say “why wouldn’t they have just revealed them?” for any of the characters.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Yes see the other post I quoted. It’s about what insiders are apparently saying amongst themselves in regardless to what would have been smash at E3.
Yeah but when is what I'm more interested in.

Is it still this month or what? I mean I've got PS5 Games and a few anime announcements to keep me excited but still.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I have no words. I just need to share this.
-snip-
I like this thumbnail. There's something about Wario staring through my soul, fist clenched, while holding a golf club that terrifies me. The fake transparent background really adds on to the vibe.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Is Mario/Rabbids any good? I'm thinking of getting it in the summer sale since it's so cheap at 15 dollars.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
that is all true, I forgot he talked to the mii costume person as well.

That’s why those rumors and the theory of multiple characters ala Hero makes the most sense. They mostly have similar bases and moves, and could easily work that way. It also would answer why the put out so many choices and asked which one it would be.
I could see that. But I don't want it. Just because... well, no need to dredge that up again.
There's a chance that the trailer was unfinished at that time and to not keep us tell us which series the next character would be from.

I don't know where these films were in my life and how I never even saw or let alone seen them when younger.

The same goes for Speed and Point Break. Lot of movies I had been missing out on that I should had seen long ago.
Or they could have just not announced anything other then "the next character comes in june". To me, specifically saying Arms means it's going to be something a bit more unpredictable (please let it be Dr. Coyle).

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Say, I wanna ask. How do you guys feel about making character-sonas of yourselves? I've been thinking about doing that for some time.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
What do you mean?
"A Sona, also know as an Art Persona, Art OC, or a fandom-specific name, is a fanart of an original character design. The design often references the aesthetic of a canon or other characters. They are distinct from self-inserts because the focus is on character design, and the sona is not made for the purpose of interacting with canon characters." - Fanlore.org

Think like the Spidersonas and Gemsonas.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Big fear right now as im still playing Tales of Symphonia, the damage on this disc makes it crash near the end of disc 1 preventing me from playing disc 2, wasting all the time I spent playing disc 1.

I have no idea if this will happen or not but as I make my way through this game the thought lingers in the back of my head.

Worth it at that price.

I got it for £30 or $35 and was ok. Wasn't my thing in the end.
Kay, I'll probably get it before the sale ends, how many days i this sale lasting?

Say, I wanna ask. How do you guys feel about making character-sonas of yourselves? I've been thinking about doing that for some time.
I made one when I was 15, I never use him nowadays.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash made thr Phantom Theives and Bayonetta more human shaped...Sega must love their very long humans
**** you. You made me google.

Trolling is not allowed.
wait...you forgot their E3 direct was cancelled
-Telltale's the Walking Dead (each season is on sale for pretty cheap prices, and the first two seasons are great - I haven't played the third or fourth, but from what I see, you could get the whole series for $30 or less)
get it...get it...get it...WALKING DEAD WALKING DEAD WALKING DEAD CLEMENTINE CLEMENTINE CLEMENTINE DYDGCTDJSKAPPA HALLSISN'TTHANLAKLALPARKLAANMASK
TMW when you're trying to find a cool Akechi picture to use as a pfp and you run into that kind of art...

View attachment 274297
the price of being a psychotic pancake

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah but when is what I'm more interested in.

Is it still this month or what? I mean I've got PS5 Games and a few anime announcements to keep me excited but still.
Sounds like fighter 6 is likely this month still, but the reveal of 7 may get pushed back.
Is Mario/Rabbids any good? I'm thinking of getting it in the summer sale since it's so cheap at 15 dollars.
It’s a really fun Strategy game. I finally got around to beating it awhile ago and it’s a good game. The visuals are nice, and the weapons and descriptions are always great to read and use. The dialog can be very clever too. It’s definitely worth 15 Dollars imo.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Sonas? Yes, I already have one.

I suck with anatomy and perspective so actually getting the full body drawn has been a daunting task. Dunno if I'll ever get it done

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
"A Sona, also know as an Art Persona, Art OC, or a fandom-specific name, is a fanart of an original character design. The design often references the aesthetic of a canon or other characters. They are distinct from self-inserts because the focus is on character design, and the sona is not made for the purpose of interacting with canon characters." - Fanlore.org

I know what Sona means. Do you mean like just a cartoon self portrait or something based of an existing property?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Personally, I’m indifferent on it, but if you want to do it, go for it.

I know what Sona means. Do you mean like just a cartoon self portrait or something based of an existing property?
Think something like how people put themselves into the Sonic universe in the form of a character.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's official. Persona 5 Royal made me cry.

Major spoilers ahead!

Sumire's true awakening was beautiful. Ryuji, Makoto, and the other thieves, even Akechi, preparing to protect her from the Shadows when she failed to summon the now-destroyed Cendrillon, but her refusal and acceptance to finally, truly live as herself, and accept that Kasumi is gone...

"The weak, insecure Sumire.... dies today!"

This line, spoken as she rips off her mask, for real this time, carries so much. She's spent the entire time in Maruki's palace up to this point still believing that it's her fault Kasumi died and that she, Sumire, should've been the one to die instead. And then... Kasumi's spirit is reborn as the new Cendrillon, bonding to her sister forever as her Persona, all while Will Power plays in the background... so ****ing good.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I did that a little when I was younger, among making other self-insert type characters, and it can be harmless fun. But as an aspiring writer, I eventually realized that there's some fundamental flaws with that from a writing perspective, most severely the "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" danger of creating a character who, because they are based on you and your likes and beliefs, can come off as too flawless or idealized within the setting, which isn't very interesting at best and can be annoying at worst. From a writing perspective.

As such, as I got older, I began to instead base characters not off my obvious or positive traits, but my negative ones. Flawed characters are much more interesting, human, and relatable--generally--than characters who are idealized, and by writing characters who exemplify my flaws instead of my virtues, I can explore those topics and parts of myself, create interesting conflicts within a story, while challenging myself in acknowledging those flaws and finding ways to either resolve them within the story or demonstrate how ruinous they can be if unchecked. Those flaws don't even have to be obviously bad things, they can be as simple as being too optimistic/empathetic--normally good traits--but encountering a situation where kindness or empathy cannot solve the problem, and how to reconcile that.

Again, this is just me as a writer talking, and I tend to overthink things or take things too seriously. In general, creating "sona" characters can be a fun exercise in both creativity and self-expression, and there's nothing wrong with that. But if using that to write a story for the public, it's important to be self-aware and not make the character too idealized within the story, or else it can rub the audience the wrong way.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think people really underestimate how strong even the weakest of Pokemon can be.

I'm just saying, if a Pokemon can learn Hyper Beam, it can solo like half of your favorite universes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom