• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been well-document Sakurai is a fan of anime. He just knows they're impossible to license, as they often go through multiple companies. Take any Dragon Quest character, for instance. Now try to get Goku and you need most of the DQ licenses bar music, and then you need other licenses for Dragon Ball beyond that. If I remember right, there's at least 5 licenses. That's a nightmare for just one character. DQ alone is a nightmare to get content from.

What's interesting is that Goku is one of the few major cultural icons that get requested that he legitimately acknowledges. He treats him as a fairly important, yet impossible character(for licensing reasons, the sole reason he ever once gave). It's possible him saying he wants the "best game character fighting game" is part of why, but that's not correlated or connected to any statements about Goku. That's his reason for adding a lot of 3rd parties, ignoring whether they're important to Nintendo or not.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
A shame really because it'd be a dream game of mine to see especially given that Namco currently develops both Smash and Jump Stars. The potential is there to be the next Marvel vs. Capcom in gaming.
Yeah. The big thing is that Bandai Namco doesn't actually own the relevant IPs, they just have permission from the actual rights holders to make and publish games in question. Anyone else who wanted permission to do so wouldn't be able to negotiate with Bamco directly, they'd have to go to the actual rights holders...
Which is a much more complicated matter on account of the fact that unlike Marvel or DC, where everything is wholly owned by the publisher, most Shonen Jump properties are partially owned by their creators. As for Smash, there's the extra wrinkle that Bandai Namco doesn't publish it. They're just contracted out for development.

The whole reason Marvel vs. Capcom happened was that, at the time, Capcom already had the Marvel Comics license for purposes of making fighting games. They had a pretty good track record with it, too, so Marvel gave them the go-ahead to have a crossover between the Marvel properties and their own Street Fighter franchise, then introduced more Capcom IPs for the sequel. Another factor to consider was that, at the time, Capcom was actually the bigger company. Marvel was reeling from the aftermath of the speculator bubble and on the verge of bankruptcy (which they filed for in 1997), while Capcom was riding high off the success of their mid-late 90s output.

With that in mind, I think a Bandai Namco vs. Shonen Jump type game could happen, but...

then you also have to factor in international localization - e.g. while localization rights for Shonen Jump stuff is mostly under the same banner in North America (mostly handled by Funimation and Viz Media), iirc there are some exceptions, and I know that one of Bandai Namco's *other* big licensed anime crossover series, Super Robot Wars, basically never gets localized due to how many different series are involved and how many different companies have the rights to them outside of Japan. The few that do get localized are usually the Original Generation games, which are basically a big self-crossover consisting of all of the original characters they created for the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's been well-document Sakurai is a fan of anime. He just knows they're impossible to license, as they often go through multiple companies. Take any Dragon Quest character, for instance. Now try to get Goku and you need most of the DQ licenses bar music, and then you need other licenses for Dragon Ball beyond that. If I remember right, there's at least 5 licenses. That's a nightmare for just one character. DQ alone is a nightmare to get content from.

What's interesting is that Goku is one of the few major cultural icons that get requested that he legitimately acknowledges. He treats him as a fairly important, yet impossible character(for licensing reasons, the sole reason he ever once gave). It's possible him saying he wants the "best game character fighting game" is part of why, but that's not correlated or connected to any statements about Goku. That's his reason for adding a lot of 3rd parties, ignoring whether they're important to Nintendo or not.
Of course he'd acknowledge Goku, dude's literally one of the biggest influences for anime and manga, in the book where he mentioned Goku again he mentioned Iron Man too, who's easily the most iconic character of arguably the biggest franchise in the history of cinema

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course he'd acknowledge Goku, dude's literally one of the biggest influences for anime and manga, in the book where he mentioned Goku again he mentioned Iron Man too, who's easily the most iconic character of arguably the biggest franchise in the history of cinema
As well as James Bond back then, a very important character during the 64 period thanks to Rareware Goldeneye 007, and Spongebob Squarepants, the big gun of the regular cartoons lately. My guess is Mickey Mouse could've lacked tons of troll votes to acknowledge, or that many only thought of caring about his KH version. Who knows. I do find it strange that this last big gun was never mentioned, same with Popeye.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. The big thing is that Bandai Namco doesn't actually own the relevant IPs, they just have permission from the actual rights holders to make and publish games in question. Anyone else who wanted permission to do so wouldn't be able to negotiate with Bamco directly, they'd have to go to the actual rights holders...
Which is a much more complicated matter on account of the fact that unlike Marvel or DC, where everything is wholly owned by the publisher, most Shonen Jump properties are partially owned by their creators. As for Smash, there's the extra wrinkle that Bandai Namco doesn't publish it. They're just contracted out for development.

The whole reason Marvel vs. Capcom happened was that, at the time, Capcom already had the Marvel Comics license for purposes of making fighting games. They had a pretty good track record with it, too, so Marvel gave them the go-ahead to have a crossover between the Marvel properties and their own Street Fighter franchise, then introduced more Capcom IPs for the sequel. Another factor to consider was that, at the time, Capcom was actually the bigger company. Marvel was reeling from the aftermath of the speculator bubble and on the verge of bankruptcy (which they filed for in 1997), while Capcom was riding high off the success of their mid-late 90s output.

With that in mind, I think a Bandai Namco vs. Shonen Jump type game could happen, but...

then you also have to factor in international localization - e.g. while localization rights for Shonen Jump stuff is mostly under the same banner in North America (mostly handled by Funimation and Viz Media), iirc there are some exceptions, and I know that one of Bandai Namco's *other* big licensed anime crossover series, Super Robot Wars, basically never gets localized due to how many different series are involved and how many different companies have the rights to them outside of Japan. The few that do get localized are usually the Original Generation games, which are basically a big self-crossover consisting of all of the original characters they created for the series.
Ice cream party!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Glad he limits to just game characters. If we had anyonw, we would end up withbterrible characters

No anime. No live action. No cartoons.

Would like to see more mascots now. Crash, spyro, goemon would be good.

D

Deleted member

Glad he limits to just game characters. If we had anyonw, we would end up withbterrible characters

No anime. No live action. No cartoons.

Would like to see more mascots now. Crash, spyro, goemon would be good.
No offense, but there is an uneasing aura that your avatar emits.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If smash was to ever get an anime I think an original story that works like subspace would happen. As for introducing characters, there’s a lot there. Also there are quite a few who don’t talk but I don’t think that would hurt things. There’s probably a work around.

If all third parties showed up, then they should get episodes that focus on how they were involved in this big over arching story. It’s hard to do but I think with a lot of effort a smash anime could be pretty cool.

Maybe even get kind of meta and we see the anime or episodes open up with a child playing with their action figures. And we get taken on a new story each week. So a sort of slice the life anime with different characters every episode but also some good fight scenes

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If smash was to ever get an anime I think an original story that works like subspace would happen. As for introducing characters, there’s a lot there. Also there are quite a few who don’t talk but I don’t think that would hurt things. There’s probably a work around.

If all third parties showed up, then they should get episodes that focus on how they were involved in this big over arching story. It’s hard to do but I think with a lot of effort a smash anime could be pretty cool.

Maybe even get kind of meta and we see the anime or episodes open up with a child playing with their action figures. And we get taken on a new story each week. So a sort of slice the life anime with different characters every episode but also some good fight scenes
Ah, sounds like an slice of life would work good.

As for my possible story, I know everyone might be hating on or screaming at me that it's stupid when I post it, but what if there was an danger even bigger? And the smashers are forced to enlist the help of the seven (Later, Eight, or Twelve) chosen children from Earth for help?

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
A smash anime would be cool, but when so much of the roster can't form a full sentence, I doubt any coherent storylines could really be made. What I'd like to see is just animated fights, like the Palutena reveal trailer.

D

Deleted member

A smash anime would be cool, but when so much of the roster can't form a full sentence, I doubt any coherent storylines could really be made. What I'd like to see is just animated fights, like the Palutena reveal trailer.
Lucas?
Simon?
Richter?
Ryu?
Ken?
Zelda?
Ganondorf?
Sonic?
Mega Man?

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, sounds like an slice of life would work good.

As for my possible story, I know everyone might be hating on or screaming at me that it's stupid when I post it, but what if there was an danger even bigger? And the smashers are forced to enlist the help of the seven (Later, Eight, or Twelve) chosen children from Earth for help?
Master Hand: Crazy Hand, Tabuu’s escaped! Recruit a team of children with attitude!

Sorry, had to do it.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
To many characters for a good anime. Limit it to 5.

Kirby, palutena, mario, ganondorf and pichu.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A naive character that's extremely effective despite sacrificing their own well-being for said power?

What is this, My Hero Academia?
yes

it's generic and expected but they'll eat it up cause captain falcon sacrificed himself to give pichu a lesson when he could've easily just mashed out of the 30-second interaction between k rool's down throw and ridley's side special

and it's just epic

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Pretty much this, yeah. I think in a previous column or interview where he talked about the subject, he also mentioned Spongebob for similar reasons - he's one of the most iconic characters in American cartoons from the past 20 years.
As well as James Bond back then, a very important character during the 64 period thanks to Rareware Goldeneye 007, and Spongebob Squarepants, the big gun of the regular cartoons lately. My guess is Mickey Mouse could've lacked tons of troll votes to acknowledge, or that many only thought of caring about his KH version. Who knows. I do find it strange that this last big gun was never mentioned, same with Popeye.
iirc James Bond was actually considered at one point, before the "only gaming characters" policy had properly been solidified. I know that he was turned down because of how much of a licensing nightmare it would be - they'd have to work the film studios and distribution companies behind the film and possibly Ian Fleming's estate in order to get permission to use the character of James Bond, as well as Pierce Brosnan's agents in order to get permission to use his likeness. I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the reason why Sakurai has the policy of only using video game characters.

My hot take is that in the highly unlikely event that we ever see a character from outside of video games in Smash, it'll either be a video game's take on a public domain character (which we do have as a boss in the form of Dracula), a character created specifically for video game tie-in media (which I guess we kinda have in the form of Greninja's Ash-Greninja final smash), or a character who has their origins in tabletop gaming.

I think the first one is the most plausible, since there are plenty of games that put their own spin on public domain characters to the point that their depictions could be distinct characters in and of themselves. Think about how many games have their own take on the Greek or Norse gods.

I think a character based on tie-in media would be awkward because most of the more recognizable ones don't have the proper moveset potential and the ones with the proper moveset potential aren't that recognizable. Tabletop gaming characters kinda run into the same problem but even moreso. You've either got popular family board games with nothing to offer in terms of an actual moveset or you've got niche hobbyist games that aren't all that popular outside of niche tabletop gaming hobbyist spaces (though those are at least bigger in Japan than they are here from what I've heard).

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Honestly, if there were to be a Smash anime, I don't want one based on Smash itself. I want one based on the competitive scene.

Either take the High Score Girl route and use it as the backdrop for a slice of life series or maybe treat it like more of a sports anime.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
iirc James Bond was actually considered at one point, before the "only gaming characters" policy had properly been solidified. I know that he was turned down because of how much of a licensing nightmare it would be - they'd have to work the film studios and distribution companies behind the film and possibly Ian Fleming's estate in order to get permission to use the character of James Bond, as well as Pierce Brosnan's agents in order to get permission to use his likeness. I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the reason why Sakurai has the policy of only using video game characters.

My hot take is that in the highly unlikely event that we ever see a character from outside of video games in Smash, it'll either be a video game's take on a public domain character (which we do have as a boss in the form of Dracula), a character created specifically for video game tie-in media (which I guess we kinda have in the form of Greninja's Ash-Greninja final smash), or a character who has their origins in tabletop gaming.

I think the first one is the most plausible, since there are plenty of games that put their own spin on public domain characters to the point that their depictions could be distinct characters in and of themselves. Think about how many games have their own take on the Greek or Norse gods.

I think a character based on tie-in media would be awkward because most of the more recognizable ones don't have the proper moveset potential and the ones with the proper moveset potential aren't that recognizable. Tabletop gaming characters kinda run into the same problem but even moreso. You've either got popular family board games with nothing to offer in terms of an actual moveset or you've got niche hobbyist games that aren't all that popular outside of niche tabletop gaming hobbyist spaces (though those are at least bigger in Japan than they are here from what I've heard).
I knew about when the James Bond thing happened. I've made that point before that he hasn't made any rules against non-game characters just yet. My guess is that seeing the licensing nightmares started with James Bond, and it was on his mind since.

I agree on your first two points, but I don't know why a tabletop game would be different from anime, manga, comics, movies, etc. The only exceptions that seems more likely would be "Toys" at best if R.O.B. means anything. As they're often video games anyway(like Digimon).

I think ones like Epic Mickey/KH Mickey sound like an interesting idea. They're unique enough to separate them aside. You also have others like Starkiller, the different version of Dragon Ball Goku made for the games(likewise with Android 21). Though overall, this still sounds like a licensing nightmare, the only known reason he refuses to use non-game characters.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Honestly, if there were to be a Smash anime, I don't want one based on Smash itself. I want one based on the competitive scene.

Either take the High Score Girl route and use it as the backdrop for a slice of life series or maybe treat it like more of a sports anime.
Anime of brawl in the family and awkward zombie slice of life would fun. Go meta humor.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

My arc will be great!

Does anyone remember when I was a top 10 player?

....No one? ;_;

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Welcome back to the Ultimate Social Thread.

A lot has been going on. And we want to update you on it.

We have plans for a proper restructuring that will benefit users and staff and make for a better community home, but large changes like this take time. As some may imagine with recent events, a lot of stress and burnout has occurred for not only staff but for many users. But while the staff is still working out all the details for coming changes, we’re also looking into what ways we can involve user feedback in making these decisions; stay tuned for more information on that.

In the meantime we’d like to open this temporary social thread to cover parts of what is currently missing, and give all our users a place to once again hang out in an off-topic setting. That said, the scope of conversation will for now be limited to:
  • Topics relating to Smash Bros.
  • Topics relating to media appropriate for Smashboards (G to early teens).
  • General personal conversation (Fine: "hey friends I'm in a good mood how about you".)
    • Please avoid “callouts”, back seat moderation or topics containing personal information of any third-party - a user of this website or otherwise.
  • Nice and respectful responses.

As a reminder: 10char dodges, single image responses or posts that do not start or meaningfully contribute to an ongoing discussion will be moderated more closely as well. Social threads are generally relaxed and memes are funny but please don't let these types of posts be the primary driver of discussions. We want to avoid heavy spam as many of the usual moderators will be both staying here in this thread and working on the coming changes elsewhere on the site.

Be nice. Be constructive. Be good to one another. We'll be here with you.

Now, administrator @Shaya has something to say. Take it away.
Wait what happened?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
How many smash characters can’t actually talk? Some of the ones that can’t I can see getting actually voice acting. It wouldn’t be the first time mario and Luigi talked in full sentences.

Ness and Lucas could maybe talk to.

As for how you handle voice acting. You could give everyone voices If day the characters were a actually action figures in the anime and the story and fights are some kids imagination.

If it was like a sports anime where tournaments were held all the time and the characters fought you could get away with no voice acting on some characters.
It really depends. For example Kirby doesn’t speak in right back atcha but it was still a fun show. As long as each silent character was supported by characters that talked it might actually work well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom