• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Even so, he’s famous for doing a TON of creature voices so that definitely puts him in high demand
Oh, yeah, yeah, I getcha.

I was saying he runs a VO website as a side note. Not a reason for his success.

He really is a great VA, though.

D

Deleted member

You know, I'm actually pretty surprised how much Tom Kenny and Charles Martinet do outside of Mario and Spongebob respectively.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know, I'm actually pretty surprised how much Tom Kenny and Charles Martinet do outside of Mario and Spongebob respectively.
There was a time before Spongebob where Tom Kenny did major roles and like 50% of background voices for shows like Rocko's Modern Life, CatDog and the Powerpuff Girls :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Decided to, for funsies, find out how many characters I voice. Turns out it's 28, excluding roles that I have left. (That's as many as I can recall. I'd say the legit answer is roughly 30-35 roles.

Not much, but it's more roles than I ever though I'd have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Huh. I always thought Tom Kenny voiced Spyro sense day one.
Carlos Alazraqui's performance is hilarious btw...

Other than him and Tom Kenny, Spyro's other VAs were Crash Bandicoot's current VA Jess Harnell, Matt Mercer and even goddamn mother****ing Frodo Baggins himself, Elijah Wood!!! :yoshi:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Stop looking too deep into it and give us Spongebob in Smash you cowards. /s
I’m just being realistic here. I don’t even know if Tom voiced for a Japanese production before, let alone a non-union one.

EDIT: So I found that he has done work for Square Enix as a few roles in FFX and Rabbit in KH3, still iffy on his chances for voicing Spyro in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brawl’s union cause of the Metal Gear characters. 4 and onwards are non, that’s why most of the KI:Uprising cast were recast or went uncredited
Hol up, sorry I'm a weeeeeee confused.

I don't know about all of them, but pretty sure 4 and onward's KI characters use the Uprising VAs?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If I drank alcohol, I'd make a drinking game and go on to /r/WhoWouldWin (or any sort of Vs Battle thingy) and take a drink for every time certain characters or universes get jerked to high hell. I'm not gonna pretend I know much about 40k, but I'm pretty sure high end feats as well as the feats of named characters, captains, and chapter masters should not be used as the baseline for the average unnamed Space Marine

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Brawl’s union cause of the Metal Gear characters. 4 and onwards are non, that’s why most of the KI:Uprising cast were recast or went uncredited
I thought the difference between union and non-union is the way the actors are paid, or am I just being dumb?
Nope, just Pit. And Viridi in 4.

Also why Cloud doesn’t have his English VA
Wasn't aware they had different VAs in Ultimate/Smash 4. Kind of an odd choice though, won't lie.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
D

Deleted member

I'm generally not a fan of the whole "Union, non-Union thing." Take this with a BIGGGGGGGGG grain of salt coming from me, but it seems kinda pointless.

On one hand, you can get cast as some great stuff if you're doing Union work, (like Kid Icarus: Uprising), but by doing that your agreeing to not work on some other projects, like SSBU.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm generally not a fan of the whole "Union, non-Union thing." Take this with a BIGGGGGGGGG grain of salt coming from me, but it seems kinda pointless.

On one hand, you can get cast as some great stuff if you're doing Union work, (like Kid Icarus: Uprising), but by doing that your agreeing to not work on some other projects, like SSBU.
I mean, Antonio Del Rio voices in Uprising and SSBU... is there something I'm still missing here?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, Antonio Del Rio voices in Uprising and SSBU... is there something I'm still missing here?
Generally how it works is that union actors get paid more and have the union backing them up if unfair treatment happens. Non-union actors typically don't get paid as much because they don't have a union fighting for higher wages. A union actor can usually take a non-union role, though, if they go uncredited, which a lot of the time is a big thing to ask.

Nintendo is notoriously cheap and rarely ever uses unions for games. Off the top of my head, Fire Emblem Fates, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., and Kid Icarus Uprising were all union projects, so they got more prolific voice talent. But in later non-union stuff, they either don't reprise their roles, or go uncredited like Antony del Rio.

Ideally everyone would be a union actor in a perfect world, as unions are objectively good and provide job security and will fight for their actors' rights, but the reality is a lot of companies are also really cheap and would rather use non-union talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom