• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wouldn't surprise me. Given The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. Two movies that reeks of feminism.
I'm just waiting for them to announce that they've decided to make a new version to replace the old one: "Make a Woman Out of You".
Just stop. Stop acting like those annoying gamer-manchild-critics that criticizes anything that involves a woman.
Honestly, I approve of The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. Feminism is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Of course Mothra is a strong female character. She's a 52 ft. tall moth.
Honestly I would argue that she deserved to be stronger in King of the Monsters. Her getting one-shot by Ghidorah was doing her seriously dirty.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think the main issue is that the directors are flexing their creative muscles a little too much. People are expecting to see the movie they've come to love, but in live-action. Not something that looks like a fanfiction with OCs.
I have to agree. There's so many differences from the original's structure and plot that, from the sounds of it, at least, it's almost nothing like the original film at all.

I just...don't really get it.

Are they trying to experiment with the remakes more? Creating new plotlines and removing/adding certain materials from them?

And if so, why is Mulan the one they're experimenting with so heavily?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still a long road away to prove I'm bettering myself as a person. Its a slow process but I'm getting there one step at a time. Doesn't happen overnight.

Caught myself before I began to go too overboard.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't surprise me. Given The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. Two movies that reeks of feminism.

That exact moment when you realize that Mothra is an even better, more relatable and 'stronger female character' then Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel combined.
...Mothra is a bug.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly I would argue that she deserved to be stronger in King of the Monsters. Her getting one-shot by Ghidorah was doing her seriously dirty.
You might want to spoil that. I know there's one guy here from Spain which the film hasn't come out yet there and he doesn't want to be spoiled of anything.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So on the topic of movies. I decided for the fun of it to make my own little series. :p

Inspired by the Villain Pub from HISHE. I had this funny idea of Brandon Breyer somewhat and somehow ending up at this pub where villains hang out and is cope by villains of cinema of this year (Brixton Lore, Grimmel the Grisly, Joker, King Ghidorah, Lord Piggot-Dunceby, Maleficent, Mr. Glass, Palpatine, Pennywise, Rex Dangervest, Scar, Thanos, etc.) how he wants to do good only to find out he can still do so while being a villain at the same time.

Palpatine points out to Brandon there's villains who does it for petty reasons (Lord Piggot-Dunceby, Rex Dangervest and Scar).

Then others who does it for the fun of it. The sake of just being evil (Joker, King Ghidorah, Maleficent, Palpatine himself and Pennywise).

Those that has their reasons (Mr. Glass).

And then last but not least villains just like Brandon himself thinking they're doing things for the greater good (Brixton Lore, Grimmel the Grisly much to King Ghidorah's chagrin and Thanos).

Realizing that he can still do good while being a villain. Brandon once more embraces his alien heritage and villainy but on a more positive note this time thanking his new friends accepting them as his new family being welcomed to the pub by all of them.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Ghidorah is a 521 ft. tall dragon that picked up Godzilla like a doll.

That's not being dirty, that's being honest. I mean, Mothra played a very significant role in the entire film, and her dying as a hero goes along the same vein as her predecessors.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

That's not being dirty, that's being honest. I mean, Mothra played a very significant role in the entire film, and her dying as a hero goes along the same vein as her predecessors.
Even then if you watch the credits closely she'll be back in some form and way based on the egg being discovered who'll probably be Mothra Jr.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just stop. Stop acting like those annoying gamer-manchild-critics that criticizes anything that involves a woman.
Honestly, I approve of The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. Feminism is a good thing.
I think you're taking this the wrong way and maybe overreacting a little.

No one is saying you can't promote feminism in a film. It's just that people dislike it when it bleeds into a film that really didn't need that message to being with.

I have to agree. There's so many differences from the original's structure and plot that, from the sounds of it, at least, it's almost nothing like the original film at all.

I just...don't really get it.

Are they trying to experiment with the remakes more? Creating new plotlines and removing/adding certain materials from them?

And if so, why is Mulan the one they're experimenting with so heavily?
No clue. I'll have to wait and see more of what they're trying to do before I judge it any more harshly, but I hope they don't intend on filling it with lots of fight scenes with new characters at the expense of Mulan's character development.

Ironically, the original Mulan didn't have any fighting until the very end, despite the fact that the whole movie revolved around a war.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Captain Marvel had it's own slew of BIG issues, but feminism wasn't one of them.

Idk on TLJ
Captain Marvel I feel gets dunked on by people way too often. It's far from the best Marvel film but I'd watch it over the first two Thor movies, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, or Ant-Man and the Wasp any day of the week.

Last Jedi however is an absolute mess. Subversion of expectation for the sake of subversion of expectation is how you best describe that movie. Such a disappointment as a follow-up to Force Awakens which I enjoyed a lot.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

I'm fine with her losing to Ghidorah, but she barely even got to put up much of a fight against him. Hell, Rodan was giving her trouble. She's supposed to be pretty close to Godzilla in power, so I was disappointed by her going down so easily.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Captain Marvel I feel gets dunked on by people way too often. It's far from the best Marvel film but I'd watch it over the first two Thor movies, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, or Ant-Man and the Wasp any day of the week.

Last Jedi however is an absolute mess. Subversion of expectation for the sake of subversion of expectation is how you best describe that movie. Such a disappointment as a follow-up to Force Awakens which I enjoyed a lot.
Ant-Man and the Wasp literally has it's main villain in the top 3 best MCU villains how ****ing dare you.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I just didn't like the reveal of how Nick Fury lost his eye.

I know said "cat" was an apex alien superpredator but it was the way it was approached that irks me turning what was once a serious moment in The Winter Soldier into the butt of a joke for laughs.

Say if he was trying to save Goose or fighting him that would had been different.

I also didn't like how Nick Fury was in this film being all gushy over Goose.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
...There's a what now?
Don't ask.

Though, I guess you already asked.

Yeah it's called Trump Dating.

is this a site where you date trump, or trump supporters?
Common sense leans toward the latter, but an active imagination and a sense of humor want it to be the former.

Hell, I could go for $130,000 right now. I'm game.

You know it. Haven't gotten around to it yet, because there have been a bunch of games coming out recently that I'm trying to get through before anything else, but it's definitely on my to-do list.
It's good to see you again Hinata. :)

I'll be sure to start it this week.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ant-Man and the Wasp literally has it's main villain in the top 3 best MCU villains how ****ing dare you.
Yeah and she's the only really notable thing about the film. I'd enjoy the movie a lot more if they didn't half-ass the plot resolution to the film.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh lmao no wonder the movie ****ing flopped
To be fair though King Ghidorah was extremely powerful. Its no wonder he was able to do all those things.

Besides during the credits it shows Mothra will be back in Godzilla vs. Kong some way as an large egg is discovered likely being her child.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Captain Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel movies and I can discuss in length about how it absolutely benefitted from its feminist themes, rather than artificially implementing them to an unrelated movie.

But it's really late in here and I seriously don't want to get into this debate. See you guys later, I guess.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Captain Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel movies and I can discuss in length about how it absolutely benefitted from its feminist themes, rather than artificially implementing them to an unrelated movie.

But it's really late in here and I seriously don't want to get into this debate. See you guys later, I guess.
The political aspect of Captain Marvel is definitely one of the greatest strengths of the movie imo. I wouldn't call it my favorite movie, but it doesn't deserve to be so low on the tier lists like I always see.

D

Deleted member

I see I didn't miss much. Had a lot of free-time and decided to do a more extensive write-up on my predictions for the last two DLC characters, figured I'd post it here too for those sweet-ass likes. Pls read.
After all that's happened, I'm predicting Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa as the next two characters, or at least someone from those companies.
Of course you have that comment of Bethesda talking to Nintendo with regards to Smash which could mean nothing, but after these last two reveals especially, I think the DLC might be from companies that have done some major collaboration with Nintendo in terms of the Switch, or at least companies Nintendo wants better relations with. Atlus is working on SMT 5, one of the major announcements from the first Nintendo Switch conference, is working on P5S, but has recently had more of an emphasis on Sony. Joker could very well be a way to maintain a strong working relation with Atlus, especially since Persona 5 was such a breakout success that it proves Atlus is a big player.
Square has shown support for the Switch from the very start with DQ11, but that support has only continued since. From porting over multiple previously exclusive Final Fantasy games, to Romancing Saga, to Seiken Densetsu, Square has been one of the biggest third party collaborators with Nintendo. They've had big sections dedicated to them in several directs. It's clear that Nintendo views Square as an important third party, and adding in Hero to Smash just maintains that relationship.
Microsoft and Nintendo's recent collaboration is well-documented, but of course with Minecraft on the Switch, that Xbox live business, Microsoft approaching Nintendo to put Cuphead on the Switch, and that rumour of Ori and the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch - yeah, it seems like Microsoft and Nintendo aren't as direct competitors anymore. Microsoft is obviously one of the biggest companies in the world witha huge influence in the gaming sphere as manufacturer, developer and publisher: having them remain collaborate rather than competitor is very valuable to Nintendo I'd imagine.
As for my predictions, Bethesda is undeniably one of the biggest third parties actively supporting the Switch, and perhaps the biggest western third party in that regard. To me it says a lot that they:
-Advertised Skyrim in the reveal of the Switch
-Had Todd Howard appear in the initial Switch conference
-Included their own IP as a part of Skyrim (albeit as of late this has become a lot more common)
-Went to the effort of porting not only Doom, but Wolfenstein
-Ported Fallout Shelter
-Are advertising the Switch as one of the primary ways to play Doom Eternal at launch
From my perspective, this signifies that Nintendo wants to keep Bethesda as a primary associate, and adding a Bethesda character to Smash would serve to only enhance that. It's not that far-fetched, especially when observing the amount of Square games on the Switch after Cloud got in. Now, why Doomguy over The Last Dragonborn? After all, Skyrim was one of the most heavily advertised titles for the Switch and is incredibly iconic and influential. Admittedly, I'm likely biased to an extent, but I feel like Doomguy would be chosen for similar reasons as Banjo over say, Steve or Master Chief. Doom's legacy is essentially universally known, but Doom itself has had a surprisingly extensive history with Nintendo. The original Doom was ported to the SNES, an entire new, original Doom game was created for the N64, both Doom and Doom II were ported to the GBA, and of course there's the rebooted Doom games. That makes Doom 3 the only mainline Doom game not on a Nintendo console, but Doom 64 is entirely exclusive and is acknowledged as a primary Doom game. Hell, before even Commander Keen and being known as ID, Carmack and the crew proposed a PC port of Super Mario Bros 3 to Nintendo before bieng turned down. That, combined iwth some interesting comments by the Doom staff such as Mick Gordon working on a Doom-related project and Bethesda saying Nintendo fans are in for a Doom-related surprise, makes me lean towards Doomguy as a potential Bethesda character. I do concede it could very well be Dragonborn or perhaps even Vault Boy instead though.
Finally on to Ryu Hayabusa. From as far back as 2014, Koei Tecmo has had some major collaborations with Nintendo. Hyrule Warriors comes to mind as one of the first times in recent memory Nintendo has lent off one of their entire first-party IPs to a different studio for a big release, Zelda at that. Hyrule Warriors seemed to be a success, because this active partnership later continued with Fire Emblem Warriors. That game was also one of the primary announcements at the first Switch press conference. From there, Koei Tecmo has only gone farther, bringing over multiple Warriors games, countless Atelier games under Gust, many smaller projects, and even Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3, not to mention their work on P5S. Koei Tecmo is clearly one of Nintendo's primary active associates alongside companies such as Ubisoft. As for Ryu himself, I see him as one of the big remaining NES icons not yet in Smash. Ninja Gaiden has a storied legacy from the NES to the modern-age reboots, with both styles having great influence over action games. One could argue the original Ninja Gaiden games essentially popularised cutscenes and in-depth story-telling in video games. Ryu has essentially become the mascot of Koei Tecmo, even becoming an important character in other franchises such as Dead or Alive and making appearances in Warrior games. This could also be Kasumi from DOA instead, as she too is one of KT's most popular characters, but her lack of general legacy on Nintendo and the fact that Ryu has essentially become one of the faces of DOA as well makes me question her.
Admittedly, I'm a bit more uncertain on a Koei Tecmo character compared to Bethesda. That's not even mentioning other potential companies, such as SNK and Terry Bogards, or Ubisoft and Ezio. Truth is these last two characters really could be anyone.
But that's just what I think.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I share similar sentiments with Captain Marvel and The Last Jedi.

Captain Marvel was a good movie that had several issues such as a fairly weak villain, some really strange pacing, and too much Kree lore stuff going on that didn't amount to a whole lot. It wasn't the best Marvel movie I've seen, but it's also solidly in the B-tier of their movies above the likes of Iron Man 2 and 3, The Incredible Hulk, and both Thor movies. What it did well, it did well in a very enjoyable manner. Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larson were great to watch together and the "feminist" elements of the movie never felt as forced as I think parts of the internet were determined to say it was. Plus, after nearly 20 films, the first MCU movie to star a female and be based around her probably deserves the opportunity to reinforce women in power.

The Last Jedi just went all over the place and revealed the flaws of modern Star Wars. Which is a shame because what worked in that film worked really well and potentially set up great things. It had individually wonderful moments, but couldn't manage to fuse them together into an overall enjoyable film. I only really liked anything that had to with Rey, Kylo Ren, or Luke. I was willing to accept a lot of that stuff even if I didn't agree with it (Broken Luke, Rey becoming way too powerful way too fast after Star Wars had spent years establishing how important training was, Snoke just dying and continuing to reinforce that there was no plan for the trilogy, etc.). But the rest of the film with Finn, Poe, Rose, and so on. Every bit of it fell flat and kept working towards these gotcha moments that didn't feel earned.

I wanted more of that showdown between Luke and Kylo Ren though. It looked so beautiful for the few seconds we got of it. And some subversions, like Rey's parents not being anyone, actually landed very well for me at least.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Captain Marvel was a solid meh and it doesn’t deserve all the hate it gets.

Not cuz it’s a movie worth defending, but because it’s not a movie worth spending so much thought on.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
My biggest issue with Captain Marvel is the character itself. They tried WAY too hard to make her sassy, and after a while it just gets annoying fast. I have nothing against Brie Larson, she's talented, but the character of Captain Marvel is just... bleh.

Then there's other stuff like the opening getting dangerously close to a DCEU film, and the ending making almost no sense
She just stands there and lets them escape? Seriously
but it wasn't bad. It was alright, but not worth a rewatch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To be fair though King Ghidorah was extremely powerful. Its no wonder he was able to do all those things.
I dunno man,
Going "HEY MOTHRA'S HERE!" and then fridging her in the same ****ing movie is a disgrace to one of the most iconic monsters in Godzilla, especially if it was one hit, what a ****ing joke
Yeah and she's the only really notable thing about the film. I'd enjoy the movie a lot more if they didn't half-*** the plot resolution to the film.
At least you're able to admit Ghost was ****ing great, REALLY hope she sticks around somehow, I'd watch a spinoff series of her trying to seek redemption considering she got to live. It's telling that she and Vulture are some of the best villains yet they don't die in their debut movies. Klaw and Kilmonger got robbed there smfh

Iridium

Smash Hero
I see I didn't miss much. Had a lot of free-time and decided to do a more extensive write-up on my predictions for the last two DLC characters, figured I'd post it here too for those sweet-*** likes. Pls read.
After all that's happened, I'm predicting Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa as the next two characters, or at least someone from those companies.
Of course you have that comment of Bethesda talking to Nintendo with regards to Smash which could mean nothing, but after these last two reveals especially, I think the DLC might be from companies that have done some major collaboration with Nintendo in terms of the Switch, or at least companies Nintendo wants better relations with. Atlus is working on SMT 5, one of the major announcements from the first Nintendo Switch conference, is working on P5S, but has recently had more of an emphasis on Sony. Joker could very well be a way to maintain a strong working relation with Atlus, especially since Persona 5 was such a breakout success that it proves Atlus is a big player.
Square has shown support for the Switch from the very start with DQ11, but that support has only continued since. From porting over multiple previously exclusive Final Fantasy games, to Romancing Saga, to Seiken Densetsu, Square has been one of the biggest third party collaborators with Nintendo. They've had big sections dedicated to them in several directs. It's clear that Nintendo views Square as an important third party, and adding in Hero to Smash just maintains that relationship.
Microsoft and Nintendo's recent collaboration is well-documented, but of course with Minecraft on the Switch, that Xbox live business, Microsoft approaching Nintendo to put Cuphead on the Switch, and that rumour of Ori and the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch - yeah, it seems like Microsoft and Nintendo aren't as direct competitors anymore. Microsoft is obviously one of the biggest companies in the world witha huge influence in the gaming sphere as manufacturer, developer and publisher: having them remain collaborate rather than competitor is very valuable to Nintendo I'd imagine.
As for my predictions, Bethesda is undeniably one of the biggest third parties actively supporting the Switch, and perhaps the biggest western third party in that regard. To me it says a lot that they:
-Advertised Skyrim in the reveal of the Switch
-Had Todd Howard appear in the initial Switch conference
-Included their own IP as a part of Skyrim (albeit as of late this has become a lot more common)
-Went to the effort of porting not only Doom, but Wolfenstein
-Ported Fallout Shelter
-Are advertising the Switch as one of the primary ways to play Doom Eternal at launch
From my perspective, this signifies that Nintendo wants to keep Bethesda as a primary associate, and adding a Bethesda character to Smash would serve to only enhance that. It's not that far-fetched, especially when observing the amount of Square games on the Switch after Cloud got in. Now, why Doomguy over The Last Dragonborn? After all, Skyrim was one of the most heavily advertised titles for the Switch and is incredibly iconic and influential. Admittedly, I'm likely biased to an extent, but I feel like Doomguy would be chosen for similar reasons as Banjo over say, Steve or Master Chief. Doom's legacy is essentially universally known, but Doom itself has had a surprisingly extensive history with Nintendo. The original Doom was ported to the SNES, an entire new, original Doom game was created for the N64, both Doom and Doom II were ported to the GBA, and of course there's the rebooted Doom games. That makes Doom 3 the only mainline Doom game not on a Nintendo console, but Doom 64 is entirely exclusive and is acknowledged as a primary Doom game. Hell, before even Commander Keen and being known as ID, Carmack and the crew proposed a PC port of Super Mario Bros 3 to Nintendo before bieng turned down. That, combined iwth some interesting comments by the Doom staff such as Mick Gordon working on a Doom-related project and Bethesda saying Nintendo fans are in for a Doom-related surprise, makes me lean towards Doomguy as a potential Bethesda character. I do concede it could very well be Dragonborn or perhaps even Vault Boy instead though.
Finally on to Ryu Hayabusa. From as far back as 2014, Koei Tecmo has had some major collaborations with Nintendo. Hyrule Warriors comes to mind as one of the first times in recent memory Nintendo has lent off one of their entire first-party IPs to a different studio for a big release, Zelda at that. Hyrule Warriors seemed to be a success, because this active partnership later continued with Fire Emblem Warriors. That game was also one of the primary announcements at the first Switch press conference. From there, Koei Tecmo has only gone farther, bringing over multiple Warriors games, countless Atelier games under Gust, many smaller projects, and even Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3, not to mention their work on P5S. Koei Tecmo is clearly one of Nintendo's primary active associates alongside companies such as Ubisoft. As for Ryu himself, I see him as one of the big remaining NES icons not yet in Smash. Ninja Gaiden has a storied legacy from the NES to the modern-age reboots, with both styles having great influence over action games. One could argue the original Ninja Gaiden games essentially popularised cutscenes and in-depth story-telling in video games. Ryu has essentially become the mascot of Koei Tecmo, even becoming an important character in other franchises such as Dead or Alive and making appearances in Warrior games. This could also be Kasumi from DOA instead, as she too is one of KT's most popular characters, but her lack of general legacy on Nintendo and the fact that Ryu has essentially become one of the faces of DOA as well makes me question her.
Admittedly, I'm a bit more uncertain on a Koei Tecmo character compared to Bethesda. That's not even mentioning other potential companies, such as SNK and Terry Bogards, or Ubisoft and Ezio. Truth is these last two characters really could be anyone.
But that's just what I think.
So you, me and Will are betting on the same people. Well, he said Scorpion even more than Doomguy, but eh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno man,
Going "HEY MOTHRA'S HERE!" and then fridging her in the same ****ing movie is a disgrace to one of the most iconic monsters in Godzilla, especially if it was one hit, what a ****ing joke
Keep in mind though as Ralsei stated. Mothra's been always somewhat of a glass cannon so it kind of made sense tbh. As said she'll be back in some way or form in the next movie given the credits showing a large egg. Besides its happened to her in most films she appeared in.

You could also say that for probably many characters in films as well. Its not like she's the only one that had that treatment.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Captain Marvel was a solid meh and it doesn’t deserve all the hate it gets.

Not cuz it’s a movie worth defending, but because it’s not a movie worth spending so much thought on.
The controversy was everything that went around the movie, with the whole "Disney hates White Males" and "Feminist Propaganda" thing being thrown around. Because if we're talking about the actual movie, it's just an average, by the numbers film that does nothing special, except give us a blond female Goku and an alien cat, that is worth talking about.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Keep in mind though as Ralsei stated. Mothra's been always somewhat of a glass cannon so it kind of made sense tbh. As said she'll be back in some way or form in the next movie given the credits showing a large egg. Besides its happened to her in most films she appeared in.

You could also say that for probably many characters in films as well. Its not like she's the only one that had that treatment.
Just cause something's happened before doesn't mean it's good. I'm not sayingKing of Monsters is bad because they did that, I'm saying it's bad that they did that like I would any other movie or show regardless of my opinion on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom