• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whelp seems like my city has gotten its first case here. Good news though is its travel related. Hope the person who has it will make an fine recovery.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I finally finished DOS2.

Gameplay-wise I really enjoyed it. I did handicap myself unintentionally by going with the higher difficulty, but once I got its mechanics it was great to play around with. The gameplay is an RPG and of course that means you want to have strong and well built characters, but it also puts emphasis on placing, preparation, and planning and I loved how all of those came together to make a strategic experience. You can't always bullrush your way to victory as sometimes the best option is to be clever and get around certain traps and tricks, and if you're underleveled there's ways to work around it and take down the enemy using your own clever tricks and traps. It was fun being able to mess around with the different elements as you could use it to get a better placing on the map and take out more enemies, get NPCs in the fight that were strong enough to help in a pinch (ex. Jahan with Alice), use items ahead of time so that I could reap the benefits during the match (ex. tea taking away action points), and so on. My only gripe is that sometimes the freedom the gameplay gives can be a detriment since when you're exploring the blocks they put up to prevent you from going farther are just stronger enemies, so you can come up to something and get wiped for just being curious. Also the lack of a reverse move function was a little annoying since there were times where there was a minor mistake I wish I could change that the game wouldn't allow me to do, and in one case it forced a full restart.

Character-wise it's good as the team I had did make good use of their personal arcs and it was nice to see how they changed over the course of the game and responded to events. The main story is where my issues start to come more into play, it starts strong as the Fort Joy escape and the freedom of Reaper Coast lends well to the story, but after that it does start to feel a little rushed at times and it comes to a head at the end of the story where some of the revelations and new twists feeling a little undercooked. The Endings in particular I felt a little underwhelmed by as while I understand what they were going for with each ending having consequences (except for arguably one, which is also narratively the worst IMO), but all of them felt a little lacking when you get them as there's some things left needlessly ambiguous. I guess the idea was to leave it to the player's imagination for how some of the events turn out, but I would've liked more presentation and concrete conclusions. Still, the journey was more then worth the destination so ultimately despite the last arc being weaker I still had a good time going through the rest.

In short, great game with fun gameplay, characters, and a good enough story to keep me going. Currently replaying it on an easier difficulty to see some options I missed so some of my thoughts here may change, but once I'm done with that I'll probably move on to Dragon Quest XI or Panzer Dragoon.

Edit: Posted too early, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
According to Wikipedia, Diddy Kong is DK's "nephew wannabe".

Why the **** would you want to be someone's nephew? What is it with Nintendo games and fake nephews?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
According to Wikipedia, Diddy Kong is DK's "nephew wannabe".

Why the **** would you want to be someone's nephew? What is it with Nintendo games and fake nephews?
I looked up the manual where it came from, and it's written from the perspective of Cranky Kong, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I take it that he's DK's nephew, who wants to be like DK, but I'm not sure if they've ever clarified how the Kongs are related. (there's enough confusion over whether Cranky is DK's father or grandfather, and whether the current DK is Donkey Kong Junior all grown up or Donkey Kong Junior's son)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Don’t we get enough of each other during the day?
more following is what the world currently needs
I looked up the manual where it came from, and it's written from the perspective of Cranky Kong, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I take it that he's DK's nephew, who wants to be like DK, but I'm not sure if they've ever clarified how the Kongs are related. (there's enough confusion over whether Cranky is DK's father or grandfather, and whether the current DK is Donkey Kong Junior all grown up or Donkey Kong Junior's son)
Diddy is his little buddy and a prick...and a horrible singer who also sucks at charades (?)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

If Diddy is DK's actual nephew, where the **** is Donkey Kong's brother/sister?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Diddy is DK's actual nephew, where the **** is Donkey Kong's brother/sister?
Aren't Swanky and Funky DK's brothers? I could be wrong about that, but I recall that being a thing. (though maybe it was only on the DK Vine website - I read a lot of that when I was younger)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Aren't Swanky and Funky DK's brothers? I could be wrong about that, but I recall that being a thing. (though maybe it was only on the DK Vine website - I read a lot of that when I was younger)
Nah, they aren't related by blood. Also, doing research myself, apparently Wrinkly Kong was Cranky Kong's wife.

After DKC2, she moved away from Cranky into a cave and then ****ing died.

The lore Rare gave us for these games takes me for a spin sometimes, someone was working on these games and thought "yo what if she just died"

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So while I was listening to some Xenoblade music, a thought popped in. Imagine if on top of the Smash original music, they also added in final boss themes from series represented in Smash, what final boss theme would you want on FD? I’ll plug this since I was listening to it earlier:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So while I was listening to some Xenoblade music, a thought popped in. Imagine if on top of the Smash original music, they also added in final boss themes from series represented in Smash, what final boss theme would you want on FD? I’ll plug this since I was listening to it earlier:
Well **** they already spoiled Fiora, spoil the whole game while you're at it :nifty:

D

Deleted member

This one:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Champion Lance/Red theme.
Final Battle (Banjo Kazooie)
Nega Wisp Armor Phase 2
Annoying Dog Theme

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know its fiction and an game but how could an monkey be the nephew of an gorilla to begin with?

I could buy honorary nephew but that's it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Since we're talking about final boss themes, this one would be cool.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
People talking about game music.

Me, having Vietnam War style flashbacks to when Nintendo took all the major extended music channels down:
1585337920698.png
Seriously damn them!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I always figured Diddy was DK’s younger friend, and so he looked up to him not quite like a father, but perhaps more like an uncle.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So I’ve heard of all these data mines about code names for DLC, but is there any list for Ultimate’s base roster’s code names? Just curious on what they code named certain characters.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just had a thought. What if the Arms character means that Sakurai is adding in characters he wanted to add base game but couldn’t (barring assist trophies). Meaning Geno is ever more likely.

I would also bet my left hamshank that Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomslayer are coming this pass. I guess fighter 6 would be the Pokémon character. But I’m still hoping for a Namco character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just had a thought. What if the Arms character means that Sakurai is adding in characters he wanted to add base game but couldn’t (barring assist trophies). Meaning Geno is ever more likely.
We've been explicitly told that it wasn't Sakurai who wanted an ARMS character so not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom