• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
honestly scorpion i think has become my most wanted right now. even past fulgore since microsoft rep juice is probably filled up for now.

untitled.png

Question for y’all. Should Ms. Pac-Man have been a costume or an Echo Fighter?
costume easily

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Dang the Phoenix support thread is boppin' with activity after the last Direct. If not in Smash I hope AA7 shows up at TGS this year as it really should to discuss it with plenty of peeps!
I was surprised by no AA7 at E3. Hoping for it in September. I'm really curious as to what they will do fro the next game.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay I can't take it. I'm changing my avatar.

It's just not sitting with me right! >;T

Edit: Ah... much better.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Please no. There are no Capcom wars. Especially since we’re not getting a second Capcom character unless there’s a second pass.
I’m not sure why you’re so “anti-Capcom”.

There are still plenty of amazing series that come from them and would make a ton of people happy, which is exactly what both the Hero and Banjo-Kazooie just did the other day.

They’d be great picks and absolutely have a shot for this Fighter Pass.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m not sure why you’re so “anti-Capcom”.

There are still plenty of amazing series that come from them and would make a ton of people happy, which is exactly what both the Hero and Banjo-Kazooie just did the other day.

They’d be great picks and absolutely have a shot for this Fighter Pass.
It just doesn’t make sense to me. Plus it feels a little boring and safe. Why would they do another Capcom character? They already have two. That’s enough. In a second pass, then absolutely. But for this pass, no.

You know me. I’m all in on Crash and Dark Souls. I mean, I won’t be upset if they’re not in. But they make the most sense to me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It just doesn’t make sense to me. Plus it feels a little boring and safe. Why would they do another Capcom character? They already have two. That’s enough. In a second pass, then absolutely. But for this pass, no.

You know me. I’m all in on Crash and Dark Souls. I mean, I won’t be upset if they’re not in. But they make the most sense to me.
Eh, it absolutely makes sense to add another character from Capcom, one of the most creative, successful companies in the gaming industry, which also happens to be one of the most cooperative companies for Smash.

Sure, we already have Mega Man and Street Fighter in Smash, which already are two series vastly different from one another. However, you have the option to add literally the remaining “Top 10 earnings” Japanese game series into Smash, which is incidentally nothing like any other series in Smash, let alone Street Fighter and Mega Man.

The characters are iconic, even if only by name. Jill Valentine for example is one of the biggest female icons of gaming. Leon Kennedy is the star of the GameCube debuting Resident Evil 4. The series itself has always been considered a system seller, something few gaming series not yet in Smash can argue. It earns that title well, being the most profitable IP owned by Capcom ever, even with Monster Hunter World being their most profitable single game.

While Resident Evil is all about horror, it’s also about strategy, and managing your items to survive. Iconic items like the Grenade Launcher, Green + Red Herbs, and others could be worked into an interesting moveset that relies on timing, and strategy.

There’s always the stage potential too. Raccoon City with the gallery of monsters, like Hunters, Lickers, and even a Tyrant. Or you could opt for the setting of Resident Evil 4, and have El Gigante make an appearance.

Despite being owned by Capcom, Resident Evil would deliver a fresh new experience that no other series can provide. It’s nothing like Street Fighter or Mega Man, it represents a genre not yet given a playable fighter, and places one of the remaining pantheon of classic gaming alongside some of the best gaming character ever.

Or at least, that’s convincing to me.

D

Deleted member

Capcom has so many popular and recognizable characters that you could probably rattle off at least a dozen of them off the top of your head that would all fit well in Smash. Dante? Sure. Phoenix Wright? Hell yeah. Frank West? Why not? Leon or Jill? Go for it.
I think a new Capcom character is inevitable, but just like with Square it's all about who.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
everyone is arguing about doom, steve, and capcom and here i am just praying for hamburger helper please oh god i need help with preparing dinner sakurai PLEASE

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Knock knock, we need Knuckles.

SEGA rep.
Knuckles is a AT, so he is sadly probably off the map.

You know who isn't a AT tho?
D2S5v17VYAEsNnV.jpg

Ah, you thought I say Eggman, did ya?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, it absolutely makes sense to add another character from Capcom, one of the most creative, successful companies in the gaming industry, which also happens to be one of the most cooperative companies for Smash.

Sure, we already have Mega Man and Street Fighter in Smash, which already are two series vastly different from one another. However, you have the option to add literally the remaining “Top 10 earnings” Japanese game series into Smash, which is incidentally nothing like any other series in Smash, let alone Street Fighter and Mega Man.

The characters are iconic, even if only by name. Jill Valentine for example is one of the biggest female icons of gaming. Leon Kennedy is the star of the GameCube debuting Resident Evil 4. The series itself has always been considered a system seller, something few gaming series not yet in Smash can argue. It earns that title well, being the most profitable IP owned by Capcom ever, even with Monster Hunter World being their most profitable single game.

While Resident Evil is all about horror, it’s also about strategy, and managing your items to survive. Iconic items like the Grenade Launcher, Green + Red Herbs, and others could be worked into an interesting moveset that relies on timing, and strategy.

There’s always the stage potential too. Raccoon City with the gallery of monsters, like Hunters, Lickers, and even a Tyrant. Or you could opt for the setting of Resident Evil 4, and have El Gigante make an appearance.

Despite being owned by Capcom, Resident Evil would deliver a fresh new experience that no other series can provide. It’s nothing like Street Fighter or Mega Man, it represents a genre not yet given a playable fighter, and places one of the remaining pantheon of classic gaming alongside some of the best gaming character ever.

Of course. I’m not against the idea of Resident Evil coming to Smash. I just don’t think it will happen in this pass. Capcom being “special” compared to the other companies is not a good enough reason for them to get three and not the others. Honestly, it’s one of the reasons I’m not too thrilled with Joker either. I mean, he plays well, sure. But I would have preferred if they moved on to other companies to keep it even. It’s clear Sakurai has a special love for Persona, which is probably why Joker showed up.

D

Deleted member

This is also ignoring Dante, a demon slaying pizza lover who fights with fisticuffs, magic, a wide assortment of blades, guns, lightning guitars, missiles. He's basically the male Bayonetta but with rock instead of sexy jazz.

Or Ace Attorney. A cult classic on the internet that is meme'd to death and more. UMvC3 did a wonderful taking the wacky virtual novel aesthetics and jokes and turning them into actual fighting moves. It is a stupid series to represent in a fighting game, but that's why he's one of the funniest characters. He can legally convict your ass for murder in the middle of a fight

Darkstalkers has Morrigan, who's a succubus that fires missiles, clones herself, and has jetpack wings. Like come on. I never played the series but that has potential in Smash

Ghosts and Goblins is one of the most infamous NES games out there. It's brutal and archaic design doesn't stop it from being remembered. Its protagonist is a ****** knight who fights in his boxers. He has lances, axes, torches, shields, magic bracelets, armor upgrades, monsters, etc.

Viewtiful Joe is an action hero being filmed by a movie production. It's style is out of this world and there are rumors of a third game on the horizon, which is big. It's last game mainline came out on like the Gamecube. He can slow down his opponent, turn himself into a fireball, throw V-shaped boomerangs, loves hamburgers, has a girlfriend who fires a bunch of guns, pilots a giant mech, and his a lovable goofball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y'know, it kinda stinks how none of the first-parties are likely to be a topic of conversation in this thread. I usually enjoy those more than anything, but I feel like everyone is closing themselves off to stictly third-parties.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is also ignoring Dante, a demon slaying pizza lover who fights with fisticuffs, magic, a wide assortment of blades, guns, lightning guitars, missiles. He's basically the male Bayonetta but with rock instead of sexy jazz.

Or Ace Attorney. A cult classic on the internet that is meme'd to death and more. UMvC3 did a wonderful taking the wacky virtual novel aesthetics and jokes and turning them into actual fighting moves. It is a stupid series to represent in a fighting game, but that's why he's one of the funniest characters. He can legally convict your *** for murder in the middle of a fight

Darkstalkers has Morrigan, who's a succubus that fires missiles, clones herself, and has jetpack wings. Like come on. I never played the series but that has potential in Smash

Ghosts and Goblins is one of the most infamous NES games out there. It's brutal and archaic design doesn't stop it from being remembered. Its protagonist is a ****** knight who fights in his boxers. He has lances, axes, torches, shields, magic bracelets, armor upgrades, monsters, etc.

Viewtiful Joe is an action hero being filmed by a movie production. It's style is out of this world and there are rumors of a third game on the horizon, which is big. It's last game mainline came out on like the Gamecube. He can slow down his opponent, turn himself into a fireball, throw V-shaped boomerangs, loves hamburgers, has a girlfriend who fires a bunch of guns, pilots a giant mech, and his a lovable goofball.

Capcom shouldn’t get special treatment. Thousands of companies have cool characters that could make really good Smash characters. I don’t know why you guys are so fixated on this one company.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Of course. I’m not against the idea of Resident Evil coming to Smash. I just don’t think it will happen in this pass. Capcom being “special” compared to the other companies is not a good enough reason for them to get three and not the others. Honestly, it’s one of the reasons I’m not too thrilled with Joker either. I mean, he plays well, sure. But I would have preferred if they moved on to other companies to keep it even. It’s clear Sakurai has a special love for Persona, which is probably why Joker showed up.
Eh, a company already having a bunch of reps shouldn't be a reasoning for a character not to join the fight especially if that character is a huge name like a RE rep or Dante.

Don't put characters into categories. Look at them for who they are and what they represent...

Capcom shouldn’t get special treatment. Thousands of companies have cool characters that could make really good Smash characters. I don’t know why you guys are so fixated on this one company.
It's hard not to be.

Capcom is by far one of the biggest 3rd party developers out there with a lot of popular franchises. They wouldn't have made MvC if they didn't have such a diverse cast of unique characters.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think it's because they've been a huge part of Nintendo's history, especially on classic consoles. I understand not wanting characters from franchises more focused on other consoles (DMC, RE, etc), but more mega man characters or a Phoenix Wright rep would be excellent.

I do love street fighter, but I'd prefer more Mega Man instead since we only have 1 Mega Man rep compared to Ryu and Ken (admittedly an Echo).

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, a company already having a bunch of reps shouldn't be a reasoning for a character not to join the fight especially if that character is a huge name like a RE rep or Dante.

Don't put characters into categories. Look at them for who they are and what they represent...
You can’t do that. Otherwise all 5 characters would be from Capcom. Or shill Nintendo picks from upcoming titles. You have to think about where they come from. Be it franchise or company, so everything is balanced and makes sense.

D

Deleted member

I don't care about special treatment. I care about good video game series that have sick gameplay and character potential. The one reason Capcom is so focused on in this thread, besides staindgrey staindgrey pushing for Resident Evil, is because its series are well known in gaming and have an undeniable track record of quality content.

I listed five potential characters from well known series and the only thing you focused on was what company they were from instead of their merit, design, moveset potential, and charm. I don't think I understand your reasoning. Capcom isn't going to take over Smash Bros.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You can’t do that. Otherwise all 5 characters would be from Capcom. Or shill Nintendo picks from upcoming titles. You have to think about where they come from. Be it franchise or company, so everything is balanced and makes sense.
That's not how it should go.

This is starting to sound like "Fire Emblem can't have more characters than Zelda"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a list of all 3rd party characters that I think are possible

Companies already on board
Resident Evil Character (Capcom)
Phoenix Wright (Capcom)
Chin-li/Akuma (Capcom)
Bill/Lance (Konami)
Frogger (Konami, long shot)
Bimmy/Jimmy (Taito via Square)
Final Fantasy 7 character (Square)
Neku (Square)
Crono (Square)
Geno (Square)
Sora (Square/Disney)
Master Chief (Microsoft)
Steve Minecraft (Mojang via Microsoft)
Jonah Dark (Rare via Microsoft, very long shot, based of the fact she also got new merch like Banjo & Kazooie did)
Fulgore (Rare Via Microsoft)
Heihatchi (Namco)

New Companies
Professor Layon (Level 5)
That cat Yokai (Level 5)
Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
Spyro the Dragon (Activision)
Ryu Hyabusa (Ninja Gaiden/ Dead or Alive, Koei Tecmo)
Shantae (Shantae, Wayforward)
Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
Dragonborn (Skrim, Bethesda)
Doom Slayer/Doom Guy (Doom, ID Softworks)
Scorpion/Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat!, Warner Brothers)

Did I miss any?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Y'know, it kinda stinks how none of the first-parties are likely to be a topic of conversation in this thread. I usually enjoy those more than anything, but I feel like everyone is closing themselves off to stictly third-parties.
Well, as much as I don't want to say it, the chance for a XB2/XBX/XB character are looking pretty slim, especially now that we have so many RPG/Sword characters, and that the most likely candidate, Rex, isnt exactly the most popular MC out there, and if he doesn't get in, then it be hard to see other party members like Morag or Zeke get in his place.

So really, I'm just going with the second best choice (in my opinion) for a xeno character: KOS-MOS, since her true creators work for Nintendo, Namco are working on the game, have a very good relation with Nintendo while still having only 1 character used (granted, it's their most iconic one, but still), and the fact she is know for her mutliples appareance in crossover games, I really think she is the best choice to represent all he Xeno games, while still being a third-party characters of sort.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't care about special treatment. I care about good video game series that have sick gameplay and character potential. The one reason Capcom is so focused on in this thread, besides staindgrey staindgrey pushing for Resident Evil, is because its series are well known in gaming and have an undeniable track record of quality content. I listed five potential characters from well known series and the only thing you focused on was what company they were from instead of their merit, design, moveset potential, and charm.
Because what company they come from is important. It’s about balance. Not favoring any one company over any other, except obviously Nintendo. It’s theming. It’s consistency. It’s not being predictable. Another Capcom character would be soooooo boring. We already have 3 for Pete sake. Give someone else some attention.

You all know my predictions. You know who I want. You know what I think. Into going to start supporting more Capcom characters in Smash unless we get a second pass.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I know what you mean (there's still 2 or 3 first party picks I want to shill hard for) but the characters revealed so far and Reggie's original statement at the game awards really make it seem like third parties are what the pass is going to be comprised of.

Just like with Smash 4, they seem to be prioritizing third parties to broaden Smash's audience even more.

Personally, I think the one real hope for first party picks is in a second pass. If we ended up getting another, I can see that one being primarily fan favorite Nintendo characters like Waluigi.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's not how it should go.

This is starting to sound like "Fire Emblem can't have more characters than Zelda"
Well it shouldn’t. Fire Emblem is lower down on the Nintendo tier list. It hasn’t been around as long and isn’t as popular. It needs to be proportional so each franchise is represented to scale and no series is made out to be more important than it actually is.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Because what company they come from is important. It’s about balance. Not favoring any one company over any other, except obviously Nintendo. It’s theming. It’s consistency. It’s not being predictable. Another Capcom character would be soooooo boring. We already have 3 for Pete sake. Give someone else some attention.

You all know my predictions. You know who I want. You know what I think. Into going to start supporting more Capcom characters in Smash unless we get a second pass.
isn't it better to look at the characters as, like

characters?

i don't give a rat's ass if banjo comes from microsoft or square enix or nintendo themselves so long as he's fun to play and makes a lot of people happy by being in. the thought of which third party owns what barely even crosses my mind beyond the initial announcement.

D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, have you ever played Devil May Cry, Megaman, Street Fighter, Viewtiful Joe, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, Darkstalkers, Marvel vs Capcom, or Dead Rising?

And if you have played any games from these series, did you enjoy them?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know what you mean (there's still 2 or 3 first party picks I want to shill hard for) but the characters revealed so far and Reggie's original statement at the game awards really make it seem like third parties are what the pass is going to be comprised of.

Just like with Smash 4, they seem to be prioritizing third parties to broaden Smash's audience even more.

Personally, I think the one real hope for first party picks is in a second pass. If we ended up getting another, I can see that one being primarily fan favorite Nintendo characters like Waluigi.
I still don't think Reggie meant anything specific when he made that comment, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding a second fighter pass happening though, I just don't see it happening. Regardless of how much money it makes, Nintendo usually doesn't double-dip. What they've revealed so far is probably all they have planned, and since Sakurai prefers working on new games instead of fixing old ones, I don't think they'll fight him for it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
isn't it better to look at the characters as, like

characters?

i don't give a rat's *** if banjo comes from microsoft or square enix or nintendo themselves so long as he's fun to play and makes a lot of people happy by being in. the thought of which third party owns what barely even crosses my mind beyond the initial announcement.
And this is something I don’t understand. I don’t know how you can ignore that. It just seems so obvious to me that they wouldn’t want to favor one third party company over another. But you guys don’t seem to understand this and it just confuses me.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Here's a list of all 3rd oarty characters that I think are possible

Companies already on board
Resident Evil Character (Capcom)
Phoenix Wright (Capcom)
Chin-li/Akuma (Capcom)
Bill/Lance (Konami)
Frogger (Konami, long shot)
Bimmy/Jimmy (Taito via Square)
Final Fantasy 7 character (Square)
Neku (Square)
Crono (Square)
Geno (Square)
Sora (Square/Disney)
Master Chief (Microsoft)
Steve Minecraft (Mojang via Microsoft)
Jonah Dark (Rare via Microsoft, very long shot, based of the fact she also got new merch like Banjo & Kazooie did)
Fulgore (Rare Via Microsoft)
Heihatchi (Namco)

New Companies
Professor Layon (Level 5)
That cat Yokai (Level 5)
Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
Spyro the Dragon (Activision)
Ryu Hyabusa (Ninja Gaiden/ Dead or Alive, Koei Tecmo)
Shantae (Shantae, Wayforward)
Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
Dragonborn (Skrim, Bethesda)
Doom Slayer/Doom Guy (Doom, ID Softworks)
Scorpion/Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat!, Warner Brothers)

Did I miss any?
You put down layton so the list is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom